[Game] Kings vs Los Angeles Lakers - 3/13/2024 7:00PM PST/10:00PM EST (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
hahah the idiots on the Lakers end are saying they would take AD over Sabonis 1000/1000 times.. HAHAHA :D:D:D:Do_Oo_Oo_O If the Kings offered Sabonis for AD I think the Lakers would jump for joy.. AD isn't even in the same league as Sabonis.
AD is really good most of the time -- trouble is he averages like 50 games played per season and is rarely 100% by the time the playoffs start. He got Sabonis' All-Star spot this year so I would expect Sabonis has some extra motivation to take him down a peg. It was surprising how small he made AD look tonight though. He was able to bully him on both ends and you don't usually see people do that to AD. I'm fine with people continuing to underestimate Domas so long as that results in Kings wins. :D

AD is really good most of the time -- trouble is he averages like 50 games played per season and is rarely 100% by the time the playoffs start. He got Sabonis' All-Star spot this year so I would expect Sabonis has some extra motivation to take him down a peg. It was surprising how small he made AD look tonight though. He was able to bully him on both ends and you don't usually see people do that to AD. I'm fine with people continuing to underestimate Domas so long as that results in Kings wins. :D
Domas straight punking BroLo and AD on a B-B is super impressive. 2 of the best defensive players in basketball and he made them look like chump change.

I think Keon is making the case he has to be in the starting line-up to provide more balance and to take the smaller quicker guys defensively.

I think it does a number of things.
1) gets Barnes more involved in the offense as the 3rd guy.
2) balances the defensive assignments better.
3) Huerter and Davion can come in off the bench and again better balance between offense and defense.

Last edited:
AD and LBJ’s track record of health and age was among many reasons some of us said from day 1 that their LA tenure wasn’t gonna amount anything close to what the talking heads pundits (that don’t really follow the league beyond a handful of teams) were hyping the pairing out to be.

And it hasn’t. They’ve been a mediocre team in 5 of the past 6 seasons with the stupid bubble season being the lone anomaly. Which, to me, continues to prove that all the ridiculous circumstances of that season was a complete fluke. The much, much larger sample size of LBJ in LA has been mediocrity. And AD joining him hasn’t changed that much.

As for AD getting the popularity vote over Domas for the all-star game — that’s par for the course for the NBA. They shouldn’t refer to it as a merit based game, as it never has been. It’s a popularity game. Nothing more.

Fwiw, I saw a video on social media last week where one of the FS1 idiot no-nothing pundits was showcasing a top player tier list and he had AD like 2 levels above Domas. If that doesn’t immediately signify to someone how uneducated and worthless these guys opinions are — I don’t know will.

There’s literally zero justification for rating AD above Domas this season. None. Except that the dude just doesn’t have the first clue and is going off name recognition.

Same goes for AD getting the nod over Domas for the all-star game. The people voting aren’t qualified to understand the differences between the two players this season.

AD and LBJ’s track record of health and age was among many reasons some of us said from day 1 that their LA tenure wasn’t gonna amount anything close to what the talking heads pundits (that don’t really follow the league beyond a handful of teams) were hyping the pairing out to be.

And it hasn’t. They’ve been a mediocre team in 5 of the past 6 seasons with the stupid bubble season being the lone anomaly. Which, to me, continues to prove that all the ridiculous circumstances of that season was a complete fluke. The much, much larger sample size of LBJ in LA has been mediocrity. And AD joining him hasn’t changed that much.

As for AD getting the popularity vote over Domas for the all-star game — that’s par for the course for the NBA. They shouldn’t refer to it as a merit based game, as it never has been. It’s a popularity game. Nothing more.

Fwiw, I saw a video on social media last week where one of the FS1 idiot no-nothing pundits was showcasing a top player tier list and he had AD like 2 levels above Domas. If that doesn’t immediately signify to someone how uneducated and worthless these guys opinions are — I don’t know will.

There’s literally zero justification for rating AD above Domas this season. None. Except that the dude just doesn’t have the first clue and is going off name recognition.

Same goes for AD getting the nod over Domas for the all-star game. The people voting aren’t qualified to understand the differences between the two players this season.
It's not that I disagree but A.Davis had some really good games this season and there was a point that he had monstrous defensive ones as well with huge blocks and making an impact in both sides of the floor in that time that Lakers turned from below .500 to over .500 some months ago. Comparing him with Sabonis AD is a better scorer, has more offensive skills, and a better defender. BUT his contribution this season is way worse than Domantas and Domas should have been an All Star and should make the All-NBA team (perhaps 2nd behind Jokic) at the end of the season.
Sabonis of course does much better other things, being a creator in the offense, making plays for his teammates and schools AD in every chance they get when they face each other. Domas is at his prime, AD is declining, Domas has been super healthy, doesnt afraid to go down, played the whole freaking season last year with a broken thumb, AD is "questionable" in almost every game and he avoids hustle plays in order to save his body I guess. Plus of course that AD can play hard defense much easiler being a Laker, something that is not so easy for Domas, not to mention how easily AD gets to the free throw line compared with the "non All Star" Sabonis. Today AD was complaining at the refs after every missed shot of his that there was contact despite the verticality of the defender (mostly it was Domas). Also while Domas was on Sabonis the whole time, it wasn't AD on Domas in defense that often and when that happened Domas took advantage of it and bullied him.

AD after the end of the match didn't speak at all for his performance, indicating that it was team turnovers and Kings offensive rebounds (9, not that big of the deal if you ask me) that caused them to lose the match. Ham said that he doesn't worry cause the team always bounces back after defeats like this, they didn't bounce back at all against the same team that handled them 4 defeats in a row for sure though!

HB being name DPOG well deserved. He checked LeBron most of the night and virtually shut him down totally in first half. James got going a bit in second half but HB more than matched him on the offensive end with big shot after big shot to clinch Kings victory.
I think all starters could get the crown... Sabonis stopped AD, Fox had several deflections and along with Keon stopped D.Lo (6 points the fewest he ever scored against the Kings), Murray helped with several opponents (took over Rui when he was cooking) even the reserves did good defending, so whoever would win it wouldn't make such a difference.

Davion-Monk-Huerter-Lyles-Len as your bench unit is very very nice. Allows Huerter to be more valuable too, playing in a scorer role off of Monk's creation with that unit. Huerter as the 3rd option last year worked extremely well. But other guys have progressed over him, so he loses a lot of what makes him great because he just doesn't get the same offensive looks.
Agreed, and I’m just over that idea that we should keep starting Huerter so that he doesn’t lose confidence and can “shoot himself out if his slump.” It’s past time to try something different, and it could help Kev reclaim his value in surprising ways.

It's not that I disagree but A.Davis had some really good games this season and there was a point that he had monstrous defensive ones as well with huge blocks and making an impact in both sides of the floor in that time that Lakers turned from below .500 to over .500 some months ago.
I get it. BUT, the LAL have still largely been a .500 level team much of the season. And under .500 during various parts.

The KINGS have been superior all season long, and not really flirting with .500 once a fair amount of games was played.

Further, Domas leads the league in double-doubles and triple-doubles, the later of which cannot be overstated. His current 23 triple-dubs are the 10th most during a single season in NBA history, and trails only Wilt Chamberlain (31) and Nikola Jokić (29) in terms of BIG men to accomplish such a feat.

For even greater perspective, the most triple-dubs LeBron James and Magic Johnson ever posted during a single season was 18. #77 from Dallas posted a high of 17 (tied this season).

In terms of consecutive double-doubles, nobody will likely ever get within reach of Wilt Champberlain's all-time record (227) -- but Domas is within reach of the NBA-ABA merger record currently held by Kevin Love (53).

Domas' stats are mostly superior to AD's across the board. Defense would be the lone exception. But a valid argument could be made that Domas is much closer to Jokić's tier this season than AD's.

I get it. BUT, the LAL have still largely been a .500 level team much of the season. And under .500 during various parts.

The KINGS have been superior all season long, and not really flirting with .500 once a fair amount of games was played..
To be fair to the Lakers they are 17-10 over the last 27 games. Pretty good sample size, we are 15-12 during that stretch. Our schedule has been insane and very road heavy so I’m not suggesting the Lakers are better, they just have been playing pretty good basketball for a long while now.

Color me impressed. The Kings stayed even at half, and poured it on in the third. They made a lot of steals and some jump switches leading to stops. They they played great down the stretch to go 4-0 against the hated Lakers.
Special shout out to Keon Ellis. Great defender that brings offense along with it. He made his case to be a starter.

Sabonis is very deceptively aggressive with his play. He neutralized Davis and made him look like a finesse player. His stats are hard to comprehend. Sabonis has changed the Kings for good. He has great mental toughness and amazing physicality. He gets away with some things because he is so smooth about it., I can just imagine him playing against his Dad and his brothers in the driveway somewhere a long time ago.

The only other player I like to watch as much is Jokic.
The Kings are playing great but surrounded by quality teams in their Division.

To be fair to the Lakers they are 17-10 over the last 27 games. Pretty good sample size, we are 15-12 during that stretch. Our schedule has been insane and very road heavy so I’m not suggesting the Lakers are better, they just have been playing pretty good basketball for a long while now.
For sure. Their schedule has been a little easier in a number of different ways, including rest advantages I’ve never seen before lol

Point taken.

However, I was speaking in totality. In which the KINGS have been the better team all season up til this point. AND own a 4-0 head-to-head advantage, including 3 of the games decided by 10+ points.

When you factor in the team success, along with the individual stats and accomplishments, along with the 10-0 career player-vs-player record as the proverbial cherry on top, it becomes pretty definitive IMO.

As an aside to the topic of AD, what Domas did to him last night and has been doing to him his entire career is something I brought up years ago when Davis was still in New Orleans. And that is AD's lack of physical toughness, which IMO, also creeps into the area of mental toughness.

Back during the 2014/15 and 2017/18 postseasons, he got manhandled by Draymond Green when it counted most. Sure, he posted some impressive statistical numbers in several of those contests, but when the games were close or still in contention -- he was often moved off his spots and out of the paint when Draymond had him 101.

While we all realize that Dray was an elite level defender back in his prime capable of guarding pretty much every position, he should NOT have been able to stand as tall against a player as big, long, athletic, and skilled as Davis. But AD couldn't hardly back Dray down and instead consistently settled for shots further outside the paint.

My argument back then was, no chance Dray could go 101 with our DeMarcus Cousins (at the time), with no help, and consistently force him out of the paint like that. But he did it to AD.

Since that point I've remained an AD skeptic. And he really hasn't disappointed in all the years since. He's still soft as hell. And Domas is proving that more and more with each passing match up between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.