[Game] Kings vs Houston Rockets, 3/10/2024, 3:00p PT/6:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean they’ve lost against the Pels 4 times this year and none of those losses were particularly close. The Kings don’t struggle against many teams but the ones they do struggle against they struggle against HARD
Pride means literally nothing with 3 point shooting.

Defense and effort but shooting is highly technical and variant. Whether a team goes 6-30 or 18-30 from 3 has basically nothing to do with pride.

Pride means literally nothing with 3 point shooting.

Defense and effort but shooting is highly technical and variant. Whether a team goes 6-30 or 18-30 from 3 has basically nothing to do with pride.
This. When you’re a team shooting 40+ 3s a game it’s gonna be swingy. I think in this era this might be the norm, not only with the Kings but with all teams.

This. When you’re a team shooting 40+ 3s a game it’s gonna be swingy. I think in this era this might be the norm, not only with the Kings but with all teams.
I don't think you should be shooting 40+ 3's if say your team is bad at it, but if say u're the steph curry warriors that will work. It all just comes down to whether u have the players to do it.

You know, I think Brown was having the Kings play in a 1-2-2 zone and it worked. Again, if the Kings pressure the ball they actually can somewhat defend. It took awhile but eventually Udoka found the weakness through Sengun in the post but that zone shows that it's either ball pressure or just pretty much hoping for misses.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Can't have a game like that from Fox. He started the game settling and then ended the game forcing. Not a good combo. Sabonis's TOs didn't help either.

They didn't do anything else really egregious in this game.

112 points isn't notably bad in this era, percentages from the Rockets aren't notable, Kings FTs were good, turnovers were fine, outrebounding the Rockets. Screaming about effort and pride and defense in this situation is gonna seem broken recordish.

That's the worst shooting performance I've seen from them in a while, man it really emphasizes how important it is, I thought they won the battle in basically every other area but to offset that shooting you need dominance in every other area.

Please kings figure out how to shoot before the end of the year.
The Kings have to learn to forget quickly. This season they've let bad nights carry over into the next game. They can't let one blowout if it happens because they were off carry into the next playoff game. It's great to have a team full of high IQ intelligent players but they do tend to think a little too much.

Maybe an unpopular opinion since he's playing great but I don't like that the coaching staff is running Sabonis into the ground - he's played 38+ minutes in 4 of the last 5 games. I think we saw some fatigue tonight ... And they can afford to run to Len more. I don't buy that they can't. Len has the highest +/- on the team per minute this season. +85 in his minutes, 3rd highest on team (Just as Total). I know we all credit Len for "staying ready" but I think he could be in even more of a rhythm if he plays 12-15 minutes each night consistently. Hard to build consistency when some nights you get literally 5 minutes.

It's a small tweak but I think over the rest of the season, you'd see a fresher Sabonis, more consistent play overall in 2nd half by just giving Sabonis a little more breather.

Source - https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/sacramento-kings-plus-minus-leaders

The math: Len is +85 in 29 games of 8.7 mpg. So +85 in 253 minutes. About +16 per 48 minutes or +4 per 12 min. Small sample size but that's the point - Increase the sample size a bit.

Last edited:
I don't think you should be shooting 40+ 3's if say your team is bad at it, but if say u're the steph curry warriors that will work. It all just comes down to whether u have the players to do it.
If you're bad at 3s you're playing from behind already compared to all other aspects of the game.

Thing is, they're NOT bad at 3s. If they were, even if we decided to not shoot many, we'd be sitting at a 30 win season.

With this loss the Kings continue to sit in that 5-5 per 10 game average they have been. So have the Suns and Mavs lately though so that's good. It's probably going to come down to the wire as to who ends up in that coveted playoff spot. The Pels are starting to gain some room in the win column at 5.

If you're bad at 3s you're playing from behind already compared to all other aspects of the game.

Thing is, they're NOT bad at 3s. If they were, even if we decided to not shoot many, we'd be sitting at a 30 win season.
We aren’t bad but we aren’t great either. we were built to be great from 3. Can’t have your “shooters” consistently shooting 1-5, 0-6 etc.

That's just not true. Statistics says otherwise. There are plenty of other teams who shoot well from 3 at around or between 30-35 attempts per game and they are just doing fine. Clippers Nuggets Thunder Timberwolves Pleicans Bucks Nuggets etc.

We aren’t bad but we aren’t great either. we were built to be great from 3. Can’t have your “shooters” consistently shooting 1-5, 0-6 etc.
Other than the Warriors with two of the greatest deep shooters of all time, has this proven to be a winning strategy for a contender? I know it's the league trend, but I'm not convinced. Shooting lots of 3's, can be different than just a team who lives and dies by the 3

With this loss the Kings continue to sit in that 5-5 per 10 game average they have been. So have the Suns and Mavs lately though so that's good. It's probably going to come down to the wire as to who ends up in that coveted playoff spot. The Pels are starting to gain some room in the win column at 5.
Suns have a nasty ending schedule against tough teams and a million road games. They're back ahead of us now after this but BBRef has them finishing 8th below Dallas too with the lowest probability of making the playoffs of the three.

Other than the Warriors with two of the greatest deep shooters of all time, has this proven to be a winning strategy for a contender? I know it's the league trend, but I'm not convinced. Shooting lots of 3's, can be different than just a team who lives and dies by the 3
It can work if you have the players to do it, but at the end of the day it comes down to defense to fall back on if your 3's arent going.

all teams shoot a ton of threes now. The best team in the league takes more than we do. We aren’t just a shooting team either, we have two paint monsters as our best players we just need our role players to make their shots

Status
Not open for further replies.