[Game] Kings vs. gd lakers 12 JAN 2022, 10pm ET/7pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't retrospectively try to turn it into a bad play when he made the shot. C'mon now. "BETTER" you say? What's a better shot than a made one?
I hear you, but ‘Rese is the better 3-point shooter and he was wide open.

Metu passing to Ty was the higher percentage play, but Chimezie delivered and it worked out.

I don’t think either one of us were trying to say it was a “bad play”.

I’m glad Metu is gaining confidence with his shot.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Not only does LeBron thinks he’s so special the dam refs do too!
Yeah. The way the refs pick and choose who the star players are in the league by rewarding them with calls no one else gets may not qualify legally as tampering but it's in the ballpark. If we complain we look like sore losers but the double standard is very very hard to ignore.

I want Moar Metu-Bagley together. Granted, the Lakers have worse rim protection that we do right now, but it's hard not to see a ton of positives with the 5-wide look and Metu/Bagley still having the ability to play in the PnR while being able to space out. And while Bagley/Metu would probably struggle with the beefy bois, Metu's rim protection and both guys generally being strong rebounders leads me to think it could kinda sorta get back vs quite a few different match-ups. And in theory, Metu's skill-set (athletic rim protector/spacer) was always the key for Bagley to get on the floor.

hrdboild

Staff member
I hear you, but ‘Rese is the better 3-point shooter and he was wide open.

Metu passing to Ty was the higher percentage play, but Chimezie delivered and it worked out.

I don’t think either one of us were trying to say it was a “bad play”.

I’m glad Metu is gaining confidence with his shot.
In that situation I didn't mind it because Metu gathered, squared up, and shot it well-balanced and all in one motion. Tyrese could have stepped into an open three there off the swing pass but if you watch it again, Monk was cheating into the passing lane so Metu would have had to lob it to get it to him which would have given the defense time to rotate. Monk gave Metu space and he shot it with confidence so I feel like it was the right play in that context.

In that situation I didn't mind it because Metu gathered, squared up, and shot it well-balanced and all in one motion. Tyrese could have stepped into an open three there off the swing pass but if you watch it again, Monk was cheating into the passing lane so Metu would have had to lob it to get it to him which would have given the defense time to rotate. Monk gave Metu space and he shot it with confidence so I feel like it was the right play in that context.
Exactly. They weren't even trying to defend Metu. It was the right play at the right time.

Yeah. The way the refs pick and choose who the star players are in the league by rewarding them with calls no one else gets may not qualify legally as tampering but it's in the ballpark. If we complain we look like sore losers but the double standard is very very hard to ignore.
The difference between the Kings and the Lakers this season is the officiating. Neither team is very good, but the Lakers get treated like the are one of the top teams by the Refs. If they got calls like the Kings, they would likely have a very similar record.

hrdboild

Staff member
The difference between the Kings and the Lakers this season is the officiating. Neither team is very good, but the Lakers get treated like the are one of the top teams by the Refs. If they got calls like the Kings, they would likely have a very similar record.
There have also been games where we took ourselves out of it with atrocious defensive rotations and/or shooting but in general I think you're right. We could have had another 5 or 6 wins with those superstar foul calls in our favor and the Lakers would have lost the same amount without them which puts us right about at the same spot record-wise.

hrdboild

Staff member
Yo, c'mon... I feel you on the refs, and it's BS when they show obvious favoritism, like that, but we don't have to sit here and pretend like LeBron ain't special. That dude is 1 of 1.
Just speaking for me, I fully appreciate how great Lebron is but whenever I watch a game and see the blatant favoritism in action it takes away from his mystique. He worked hard to get where he is there's no doubt about that but it's precisely because he's so special that he doesn't need the extra help. He will adapt if he's no longer allowed to get away with push offs to create space and reach-ins on defense that other players get called for.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Just speaking for me, I fully appreciate how great Lebron is but whenever I watch a game and see the blatant favoritism in action it takes away from his mystique. He worked hard to get where he is there's no doubt about that but it's precisely because he's so special that he doesn't need the extra help. He will adapt if he's no longer allowed to get away with push offs to create space and reach-ins on defense that other players get called for.
No arguments here. He's certainly polarizing; I don't imagine that there are a lot of basketball fans who are ambivalent about LeBron. I guess, since I don't root for any particular team, the favoritism doesn't bug me, as much.

For the whole of Lebrons career he has maybe even suffered from lack of calls rather than getting bullcrap calls in his advantage. At least offensively. Pretty much the Shaq treatment. Hes so strong that he has been played extremely physically, he just never leaned into the Harden/Trae Young/Luka/Lou Williams/CP3 ect type of game where you throw garbage in the air and tilt your head back when you feel the slightest contact (that you yourself created).

Feel about Lebron how you want but objectively his success has nothing to do with favourable whistle, it would be extremely easy to make an opposite argument.

And the difference between the Kings and Lakers certainly isnt refs. Thats ridiculous. The difference is that Lebron is still so great that he can carry a garbage roster to playoffs while the Kings dont have any player even close to the type of impact that Lebron has. You have to remember what kind of awfull rosters Lebron has historically carried with the Cavs in his first and his second stint. Thats just the effect of having a historically good player even at the age of 37. Not the refs, the talent, top level talent.

We are currently the 5th worst team in the league in terms of net rating (net rtg is a good indicator of the actuall level of the team). Thats about talent or the lack of it. Not the refs.

For the whole of Lebrons career he has maybe even suffered from lack of calls rather than getting bullcrap calls in his advantage. At least offensively. Pretty much the Shaq treatment. Hes so strong that he has been played extremely physically, he just never leaned into the Harden/Trae Young/Luka/Lou Williams/CP3 ect type of game where you throw garbage in the air and tilt your head back when you feel the slightest contact (that you yourself created).

Feel about Lebron how you want but objectively his success has nothing to do with favourable whistle, it would be extremely easy to make an opposite argument.

And the difference between the Kings and Lakers certainly isnt refs. Thats ridiculous. The difference is that Lebron is still so great that he can carry a garbage roster to playoffs while the Kings dont have any player even close to the type of impact that Lebron has. You have to remember what kind of awfull rosters Lebron has historically carried with the Cavs in his first and his second stint. Thats just the effect of having a historically good player even at the age of 37. Not the refs, the talent, top level talent.

We are currently the 5th worst team in the league in terms of net rating (net rtg is a good indicator of the actuall level of the team). Thats about talent or the lack of it. Not the refs.
Funny, I didn't even mention LaBron. The Lakers have the majority of 50/50 calls go their way (and that is being generous). It has very little to do with James and everything to do with being in one of the biggest markets and the NBA needing them for ratings in the playoffs.
Both the Kings & Lakers are bad defensive teams & average offensive teams.

Funny, I didn't even mention LaBron. The Lakers have the majority of 50/50 calls go their way (and that is being generous). It has very little to do with James and everything to do with being in one of the biggest markets and the NBA needing them for ratings in the playoffs.
Both the Kings & Lakers are bad defensive teams & average offensive teams.
Talking about LeBron was more to hrdboild as he mentioned Lebron. To you I was commenting more on the subject of why Lakers win more than Kings and how its certainly not about the referees. Its about Lakers having one guy that is consistently great, every single game. Not just 3 out of 5 games but every game. Having that type of top level talent gets you W's even if the roster otherwise is garbage. Kings dont have that that type talent, not even close to that if and when you factor in the consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.