[Game] Kings vs Celtics, 3/21/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s the Kings record when Matt Barnes is on the panel?

I know it’s 0-3 or 0-4 since the all star break. I can’t remember if he was at the Bucks game but he was on the Twolves, Jazz, and tonight. He hasn’t been working for any of the wins. He was also there for home losses to Lakers, Wizards and Hornets.

though I did get a chuckle during halftime that his use of “we” when referring to the Kings rubbed off on Paul Pierce and by the end Paul Pierce was part of the Royal We despite having no ties to the Kings.

Back to back straight horrid games from Lyles and Monk. They've been two key pieces why we've been so good the last month. And a complete no-show from Fox, I'm guessing something was up with him though. Injury, exhaustion, something. Just never got into the game and didn't have the same energy that Domas brought to keep up with Tatum and Brown cooking us.

Oh well. 6 in 8 nights, Refs were crap, we lost all the momentum in the third quarter and basically just gave up after that. Don't blame the Kings either, refs took over this game and the Celtics are just too good to really fight them and the refs at the same time.

Also, whose brilliant idea was to book-end the 2 best teams in the East at home with a 4-game road trip in between in 8 days? Do other teams really have that kind of a nonsense schedule quirk?
Also, not that it's a total excuse but the team really, really misses Huerter against these contenders. So much offense is either run with him or through him. Without him so much of that DHO set goes out the window along with the ability to shoot out of the pick and roll.

Also, not that it's a total excuse but the team really, really misses Huerter against these contenders. So much offense is either run with him or through him. Without him so much of that DHO set goes out the window along with the ability to shoot out of the pick and roll.
Yup! We aren’t at that level yet where we can continue having key players in and out of the lineup. Even worse when we were clearly in a great rhythm

I think it’s time to go all offense and not worry about defense, we obviously can’t play it and it’s too late to try now. We gonna have to outscore people not try to stop them
That's most of our 40 wins come from. Very rarely can we contribute a win to our defense. If we can consistently play on a string, we can be better at defense but still not above-league average. We have always been focused on scoring more than we focus on slowing our opponents down all season long.

We need to realize who we are. We are still trying to find an identity on defense very late into the season. We need to stop pulling away our hands when defending they call it every time. It’s like breaking hard when speeding pass a officer they will pull you over everytime, even when your not speeding!

That's most of our 40 wins come from. Very rarely can we contribute a win to our defense. If we can consistently play on a string, we can be better at defense but still not above-league average. We have always been focused on scoring more than we focus on slowing our opponents down all season long.
Yea but brown had never embraced who we are this year. I’m not mad at him for trying to make them play defense but at this point we need to praise what we do good and go with it

Let's enjoy the ride, we'll try to outshoot every team like it's the Wild Wild West moving forward.

And worry about our defensive woes when we are in TDOS... hopefully not be as dreadful as it used to be... Ha!

Someone mentioned that Monk is a barometer for our team. Monk was 1-7 and 0-6 from 3. 6 points total.
Not only Monk, but Trey was a massive part of that post-all-star break success. If we X out the last 2 absolute stinkers:

11 GP
20.5 MPG
11.5 PPG
5.6 RPG
1.5 APG
43.5% from 3 on 4.2 3PA
70.1% TS

compared to the last 2 games:

1.5 PPG
4.0 RPG
1.0 APG
20% from 3 on 2.5 3PA
21.4% TS (oof)

Monk before previous 2 games
22.6 MPG
14.8 PPG
3.0 RPG
4.3 APG
50% from 3 on 5.2 3PA
68.3% TS

Monk previous 2 games:

20.4 MPG
10.5 PPG
2.0 RPG
2.5 APG
18.8% from 3 on 8.0 3PA (jesus)
40.4% TS

These dudes have made themselves invaluable to us putting up a bunch of points and winning a bunch of games and them being complete no-shows, especially with Huerter out the last 2, really has hurt us.

Not only Monk, but Trey was a massive part of that post-all-star break success.
These dudes have made themselves invaluable to us putting up a bunch of points and winning a bunch of games and them being complete no-shows, especially with Huerter out the last 2, really has hurt us.
Yeah, let's not forget that we managed to pull out some of our victories in the last couple of weeks because of our bench mobs stepping up.

Let's enjoy the ride, we'll try to outshoot every team like it's the Wild Wild West moving forward.

And worry about our defensive woes when we are in TDOS... hopefully not be as dreadful as it used to be... Ha!
Agree! Let’s rock this joint. A part of me wish we was 6th seed not 2nd. We need to stay hungry and keep the underdog mintality. We cannot go in there thinking we are gonna get calls or we should win games. It will be a early exit

I don't know if it's something to worry about, but most of our guys have been playing so many regular season games and through injuries, they may just not have enough in the tank for the playoffs. Would like to see Brown rest his guys more once we have at minimum the third seed locked up.

Yeah, def don't want to hear any Huerter slander anymore. Without him in the LU, it takes away one of the main weapons we use on offense. And just his gravity with off-ball movement and spacing really opens up the paint for Fox and Domas to get more clean looks. What really hurts is he was in such an incredible groove after that 2nd OKC game and was probably our 3rd best player for that 2 week stretch before he got hurt.

Kessler has actually shot pretty well, but defenses are going to live with him shooting the ball and just help off every single time. They don't do that with Huerter.

Kings need to be smart in certain things and it's not even hard to fix. Like for example, 2 on 1 fastbreak....why the hell won't you give up the ball to your teammate who is either trailing or beside you? Why would you want to go at the only defender at the basket? I counted TWO TIMES where they selfishly go at the defender and drawing foul and had to shoot free throws. Technical foul shooting...Terrance Davis shooting, really? While Malik Monk and Barnes were on the floor? Yeah, very smart.

The refs in this game suck man. Marcus Smart is the biggest Oscar actor in the NBA....when he got Keegan Murray running at him as if he really got hit...the refs buy into it....stupid dumb refs. Smart exaggerate the situation...it wasn't much of a contact. It's things like that allow Boston to gain momentum and open the flood gate.

Pretty sure to beat Boston, will need to have Huerter to open up the floor for Fox and Domas.
And with the way the Kings are kind of merry go rounding that 3rd option night to night, when the 2nd highest percentile iso threat on the team is out it's going to hurt. I didn't realize it but Huerter has quietly climbed up to the 91st percentile in iso, right behind Barnes. Now, the issue is still that both he and Barnes are at a role player level in terms of frequency. Huerter is actually barely even on the list at this point at 1.4 lol.

I don't know if it's something to worry about, but most of our guys have been playing so many regular season games and through injuries, they may just not have enough in the tank for the playoffs. Would like to see Brown rest his guys more once we have at minimum the third seed locked up.
Eh, I don't think so. We just had the 1 week stretch from hell book-ended by the 2 of the best defenses in the NBA and probably the 2 favorites to win an NBA title lol.

I'll be looking much closer at how we respond vs PHX with a few days rest and not having to travel. Somehow, we have another freaking 3 in 4 coming up with PHX on Fri, UTA on SAT and then Minny next Monday.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Boston seems to be built a lot like the Clippers with their offenses going through Brown/Tatum and Kawhi/PG respectively. We just don't have the bodies to match-up with elite wing scorers right now. Barnes is serviceable but a little stiff. Keegan is still learning and has some of his own physical limitations. We couldn't stop the Clippers from scoring either but we were fully locked in on playing our game and managed to score enough to outlast them. I don't think we'll really be able to stop a wing oriented team with this roster but with enough rest/preparation and a fully healthy roster we can at least wear them out trying to stop us.

Boston seems to be built a lot like the Clippers with their offenses going through Brown/Tatum and Kawhi/PG respectively. We just don't have the bodies to match-up with elite wing scorers right now. Barnes is serviceable but a little stiff. Keegan is still learning and has some of his own physical limitations. We couldn't stop the Clippers from scoring either but we were fully locked in on playing our game and managed to score enough to outlast them. I don't think we'll really be able to stop a wing oriented team with this roster but with enough rest/preparation and a fully healthy roster we can at least wear them out trying to stop us.
Yeah, and the difference with the Clipps is they don't have the same all time defensive personnel the C's do. Smart and Horford guarding the front and back door is very effective.

For all the “first time or best in 16 years” marks the Kings have hit this year…

It’s possible that they won’t end up the best home Kings team of the last 17 seasons. Though they can tie it if they don’t lose again.

Kings need to win out at home to match Eric Musselman’s 26-15 home record. Year 1 of the drought. 11 seed.

Joerger’s team was 24-17 at home.

crazy considering the Kings are on pace to finish with 10 or more wins than those teams..and are just way better.

They shouldn’t lose anymore home games the rest of the regular season because they really need to get something rolling at home going into the playoffs. They’re getting great crowds and it’s odd they have not been able to really find an edge at home.

5 straight wins at home to close the season would be nice.

I remember having season tickets in the golden years and it was a shock when the Kings didn’t win at home.

I don’t know who I wanna play come playoffs man. I think we need to be hitting with full swag. We can either win championship or be swept 1st round. We are that all over the place. But I don’t wanna worry to much about it I just wanna enjoy this moment

For all the “first time or best in 16 years” marks the Kings have hit this year…

It’s possible that they won’t end up the best home Kings team of the last 17 seasons. Though they can tie it if they don’t lose again.

Kings need to win out at home to match Eric Musselman’s 26-15 home record. Year 1 of the drought. 11 seed.

Joerger’s team was 24-17 at home.

crazy considering the Kings are on pace to finish with 10 or more wins than those teams..and are just way better.

They shouldn’t lose anymore home games the rest of the regular season because they really need to get something rolling at home going into the playoffs. They’re getting great crowds and it’s odd they have not been able to really find an edge at home.

5 straight wins at home to close the season would be nice.
Our home court advantage is not what it should be. We get worse calls at home than at road games

Look, we knew that this was gonna be a tough uphill game to win on a back-to-back. We know the C’s are a very good team.

The only frustrating questions I’ve got are:

Why does it seem like most teams come into our building and never seem to have one of those “off“ nights where shots aren’t falling near as much? We seems to always face a team that gets hot or shoots consistently most the game.

For example, just a few games ago the C’s lost in Houston having one of those “off” nights against one of the leagues worst teams, shooting 12-42 from three and under 45% for the game.

But tonight they shoot 41% from three and over 53% from the field, making all sorts of shots they missed in Houston.

Not long ago, Milwaukee did the same to us with guys like Frankenstein who then goes 1-6 from three the next game.

That’s frustrating.

Secondly, why does it seem like the KINGS are never the ”home” team when it comes to officiating in their own building? We consistently watch Swipa and Domas get hacked and hammered yet gotta see late whistle and after late whistle on “touch fouls” that just shouldn’t be called.

During the 1st half tonight there must have been a half dozen late-whistles against the KINGS, one of which came nearly 2 full seconds after the supposed contact.

The Kessler Edwards “touch foul” on one of Tatum’s 3’s was especially frustrating to see given the consistent contact we see go uncalled against our stars all the time. Quite honestly, I don’t think it was a foul regardless. If you’re gonna call that type of crap consistently, half of every team’s roster team would foul out each night.

Regardless, the Celtics were the better team and deserved to win tonights game. No doubt. But the two points above are nonetheless still irritating to see.

Last edited:
Look, we knew that this was gonna be a tough uphill game to win on a back-to-back. We know the C’s are a very good team.

The only frustrating questions I’ve got are:

Why does it seem like most teams come into our building and never seem to have one of those “off“ nights where shots aren’t falling near as much? We seems to always face a team that gets hot or shoots consistently most the game.

For example, just a few games ago the C’s lost in Houston having one of those “off” nights against one of the leagues worst teams, shooting 12-42 from three and under 45% for the game.

But tonight they shoot 41% from three and over 53% from the field, making all sorts of shots they missed in Houston.

Not long ago, Milwaukee did the same to us with guys like Frankenstein who then goes 1-6 from three the next game.

That’s frustrating.

Secondly, why does it seem like the KINGS are never the ”home” team when it comes to officiating in their own building? We consistently watch Swipa get hacked and hammered yet gotta see late whistle and after late whistle on “touch fouls” that just shouldn’t be called.

During the 1st half tonight there must have been a half dozen late-whistles against the KINGS, one of which came nearly 2 full seconds after the supposed contact.

The Kessler Edwards “touch foul” on one of Tatum’s 3’s was especially frustrating to see given the consistent contact we see go uncalled against our stars all the time. Quite honestly, I don’t think it was a foul regardless. If you’re gonna call that type of crap consistently, half of every team’s roster team would foul out each night.

Regardless, the Celtics were the better team and deserved to win tonights game. No doubt. But the two points above are nonetheless still irritating to see.
Solid analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.