[Game] Kings vs Celtics, 3/21/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I expect this 40+ win team in the west to have earned some slacks and not immediately become this pathetic team with zero direction and should just throw our defensive scheme out the window, a few weeks before the Playoffs.

But I guess that's a high bar.
Nobody said that, but moving on something has to be reworked on defense. I'm sure Brown will figure it out at some point whether it's personnel change or playing more to his players strengths. This team has shown when they even play average on defense it might be enough to contend but that indeed usually comes with changes on that end.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I guess I expect this 40+ win team in the west to have earned some slacks and not immediately become this pathetic team with zero direction and should just throw our defensive scheme out the window, a few weeks before the Playoffs.

But I guess that's a high bar.
It's not a high bar absent the context. When you factor in how many times we've had the rug yanked from under us though, it makes sense why a lot of fans are reluctant to believe and/or ride out what's looking like a sure loss. We can cut them some slack though. right? It grates on me too at times but I assume people mean well.. they're just venting in their own way.

How about the Celts being on their 6th straight road game? Their legs don’t look tired. The key difference is their D is elite, ours is bottom 5
It's not that simple. Back to back doesn't equal straight road games, you still get time to rest in road games.

We were in good shape then the refs hurt our momentum and we let them get ahead. The Boston Celtics coming straight from the Final last season isn't a team you can let get ahead and easily catch back up by chaining up a few good defense sequences (which we didn't).

We are bottom half defensively but that can hardly be true if you have watched this season. Trust your eye test. We don't suck, we are only inconsistent.

It's not a high bar absent the context. When you factor in how many times we've had the rug yanked from under us though, it makes sense why a lot of fans are reluctant to believe and/or ride out what's looking like a sure loss. We can cut them some slack though. right? It grates on me too at times but I assume people mean well.. they're just venting in their own way.
Yeah I overreacted probably because I forgot how losing 2 games in a row feel.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
How about the Celts being on their 6th straight road game? Their legs don’t look tired. The key difference is their D is elite, ours is bottom 5
Sortof. We were matching them point for point until we just got hosed on four consecutive possessions with calls at the end of the half. Our one chance was to come out hot in the third but Boston punched first and we didn't, then they smelled blood and turned up their aggression. It doesn't help that we don't have one of our best shooters in Huerter which also means we couldn't bring Kessler off the bench as an energy guy.

This game got out of hand quickly -- in retrospect we needed to try and slow it down early in the third and focus on executing our offense but our go-to move is to push the pace so slowing it down is not something that comes naturally. My own feeling is that we need personnel changes more than a scheme change. Monk as the sixth man remains problematic because of his defense. We played him a lot in the second half instead of Davion which might have been a mistake. And I don't see how we can afford to go another full season without a real backup C (who Brown is willing to play). Also... having an elite wing defender is too important to rely on guys like KZ Okpala and Kessler Edwards in tough matchups like this. But all that is really a result of us arriving at 50 win territory a year or two ahead of schedule.

the mental gymnastics people will go through to give excuses to the team! our defense needs a lot of work. I don't see anyway we make it out the 1st round if we allow teams to get wide open 3s and uncontested shots at the rim. our offense can't out-gun them in a 7 game series.

It's not that simple. Back to back doesn't equal straight road games, you still get time to rest in road games.

We were in good shape then the refs hurt our momentum and we let them get ahead. The Boston Celtics coming straight from the Final last season isn't a team you can let get ahead and easily catch back up by chaining up a few good defense sequences (which we didn't).

We are bottom half defensively but that can hardly be true if you have watched this season. Trust your eye test. We don't suck, we are only inconsistent.
Funny, if we were on a long east coast trip playing the Celts coming off a back to back, we would blame all the travel and being tired from hopping from city to city.

Truth is our defense is bottom 5. My eyes tell me that and so do the stats. Now we’ve improved a bit with Kessler, but there’s a big gap in our D vs. Celts/Bucks/76ers. Not a criticism, just the reality we have that we either need to find a different scheme or wait offseason to upgrade. Utah is a good example of going zone after Markannen and others pushed Hardy to make the change last week.

Yeah... maybe I was overreacting a little bit earlier...

Just a bad game all around and I thought would've been better...
I hear that. Bad, disappointing night but the Big Picture remains sweet: 50 wins and a top-3 seed still look very likely - and they remain pretty healthy with the playoffs looming (Huerter should return in plenty of time). One could argue that if these last two games, in particular, pppush them to ratchet up the intensity, that's a good thing.

My biggest fear is come playoffs the calls we got today are the calls we will get come playoffs. We cannot overcome refs and team
If the Kings use their hands that much, they'll get called for sure. In watching last playoffs it was pretty much a given, if you want to defend with what little defense they allow anyone to play anymore you switch into the other team. Even with that the games mostly turned into shooting contests and the Celtics lost game 7 largely because Udoka tried to fight the Warriors offense with his defense before ditching it and trying to out offense them.

As much as I want to blame the refs for this loss... when you lose by 20+ it's mostly on the Kings not playing up to par.
Again, it's not that simple. We were ahead, we got down (whether you like to blame the refs or not), we kept fighting but the Celtics are just a level above us and wouldn't let off. Clearly had a lot to do with tired legs and long 3s (kudos to HndsmCelt for pointing out a flaw strategy, haha)

Back to back straight horrid games from Lyles and Monk. They've been two key pieces why we've been so good the last month. And a complete no-show from Fox, I'm guessing something was up with him though. Injury, exhaustion, something. Just never got into the game and didn't have the same energy that Domas brought to keep up with Tatum and Brown cooking us.

Oh well. 6 in 8 nights, Refs were crap, we lost all the momentum in the third quarter and basically just gave up after that. Don't blame the Kings either, refs took over this game and the Celtics are just too good to really fight them and the refs at the same time.

Also, whose brilliant idea was to book-end the 2 best teams in the East at home with a 4-game road trip in between in 8 days? Do other teams really have that kind of a nonsense schedule quirk?

Status
Not open for further replies.