[Game] Kings vs. Blazers, 1/9/21 7pm PST, 10pm EST

The catch and shoot for him is all but dead. They have him handle the ball up top to draw doubles then swing it most of the time. The problem is the player he's often swinging it to is Fox and teams aren't falling for the trap. The team needs a new voice and soon.
Well being put in good spots aside, he's shooting like preseason Fox even when he's wide open. And as I said, I think he's not getting as open because he's a lot slower moving around the court.

The teams not really at the stage; or set up to carry a player who's only skill is catch and shoot.

We tried it with Marcus Thornton. We even gave him a big contract as well.

Dort Free Zone.
The Kings lost by 30 and were never in it on the their home court. They lost every quarter, much like the last game.
They had better find 5 guys that can play defense. Their mid-range defense is fine. The problem is that the 3 ball is all the rage. That opens up the basket. Plenty of teams have guys that can hit the three consistently. The Kings can't seem to figure out how to cover the perimeter and stop lay-ups on the same play.

So what happens if the Kings do, indeed, trade for Dort? :D
Dude. Start a thread in the NBA (non-Kings) section on Dort. Call it Lifestyles of the Dort and Famous*. Post all you want about him there. But respectfully, these game threads are about the game itself. I'm sure I speak for many when I say the only time I want to hear about a player in a game thread who ISN'T playing for the Kings is when they are actively PLAYING the Kings.

* Other options:
As the Dort Turns
Dortmundo
Dortito Chips

I don’t see the reason why some guards feel the need to get super jacked in an increasingly finesse and no contact game where speed is more important than strength. I remember it pretty much ruined Mike Bibby. Buddy needs to be able to get open shots, not bulldoze anybody. He looks like an old player right now when he should be in his prime.

This is pretty much how he started last season so I anticipate the hot streak. Can’t sell low on him but he’s been terrible

Also, the man of the century Dort is under Thunder control for two more years at a measly salary. We have nothing to offer them when they don’t want big salaries or really any players in their prime right now and even if they did and we can get saddled with Al Horfords contract Instead of Buddy’s... Dort is still just a role player

Last edited:
Dort Free Zone.
The Kings lost by 30 and were never in it on the their home court. They lost every quarter, much like the last game.
They had better find 5 guys that can play defense. Their mid-range defense is fine. The problem is that the 3 ball is all the rage. That opens up the basket. Plenty of teams have guys that can hit the three consistently. The Kings can't seem to figure out how to cover the perimeter and stop lay-ups on the same play.
It's been like for years. Well it feels like it. I haven't looked at the stats but when was the last time we actually defended the three point line properly?

Well being put in good spots aside, he's shooting like preseason Fox even when he's wide open. And as I said, I think he's not getting as open because he's a lot slower moving around the court.
When you get in a funk it can be hard to get out. That's when your coach is supposed to step up and get you going in some way. They have him doing the same basic things as last year. Running around 50 screens for no reason.

The teams not really at the stage; or set up to carry a player who's only skill is catch and shoot.

We tried it with Marcus Thornton. We even gave him a big contract as well.
Catch and shoot is basically the only skill that matters on the perimeter right now regardless of who you are. Well, maybe if your the Kings it doesn't matter, haha. Buddy has shown he's more than that though. Way more.

Catch and shoot is basically the only skill that matters on the perimeter right now regardless of who you are. Well, maybe if your the Kings it doesn't matter, haha. Buddy has shown he's more than that though. Way more.
Buddy, Kennard, McCollum, Beasly, Reddick, Seth Curry, Joe Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic, Huerter, Malik Monk. Forget age. Forget contract. Skill and athletic abilities only. Where do you rank them?

this may seem simplistic, but what about trying (something/anything) to maximize what few skills this team has - playing a true "5 out" offense?

there was a time in the early 90's when the warriors were good (run tmc) but not as good as better, bigger teams.

so in a playoff series where the spurs (pre-duncan team fearturing robinson/elliot) were a "2 seed" and the warriors were the 7-seed, there was absolutely no chance that the warriors could win that series.

so nelson devised an offense with tom tolbert at center, bringing the ball up (point center) with the other four spread out around the three point line.

the spurs could not double without leaving a shooter open and the spurs never solved their problem (warriors won the series but were eliminated in the next round).

marvin seems to consider himself a good ball handler, as we have seen him attempt to go coast to coast rather than rebounding and looking for an outlet (giles started as a point guard - don't know about baggy)

but what about marvin slowly bringing the ball upcourt, in the center of the court, outlet wings on each side (if necessary) but forcing opposing bigs to make a decision - come out and guard him before he reaches the three point line (or all the way upcourt, if they choose) or hang back and protect the rim (leaving marvin a wide open three).

if the opposing big comes out, could marvin make a quick exchange (to get a fresh dribble and the ability to drive in any direction) with fox or hield and drive to the hoop, beating slower bigs with his speed (and ball handling ability - if he has those skills like he appears to believe he has)?

or, if they hang back, if he makes 2/3 threes, they might HAVE to come out.

spreading the floor and going one on one would seem to offer an opportunity

and if you get everyone spread, passing to fox and allowing him to go one on one should be an offensive plus.

i mean, you have to look SOMEWHERE for advantages, right?

barnes and tyrese in the corners, buddy and foxy on the left/right up top, all four behind the three point line - how would defenses react?

if someone like nurcic comes out to guard marvin, he should be able to drive to the basket or find a teammate cutting to the hoop, IF he really has those skills.

but i think we know his postup game is a work in progress and you have to find a way to spread the floor enough so that buddy can't be doubled up high.

this may seem simplistic, but what about trying (something/anything) to maximize what few skills this team has - playing a true "5 out" offense?

there was a time in the early 90's when the warriors were good (run tmc) but not as good as better, bigger teams.

so in a playoff series where the spurs (pre-duncan team fearturing robinson/elliot) were a "2 seed" and the warriors were the 7-seed, there was absolutely no chance that the warriors could win that series.

so nelson devised an offense with tom tolbert at center, bringing the ball up (point center) with the other four spread out around the three point line.

the spurs could not double without leaving a shooter open and the spurs never solved their problem (warriors won the series but were eliminated in the next round).

marvin seems to consider himself a good ball handler, as we have seen him attempt to go coast to coast rather than rebounding and looking for an outlet (giles started as a point guard - don't know about baggy)

but what about marvin slowly bringing the ball upcourt, in the center of the court, outlet wings on each side (if necessary) but forcing opposing bigs to make a decision - come out and guard him before he reaches the three point line (or all the way upcourt, if they choose) or hang back and protect the rim (leaving marvin a wide open three).

if the opposing big comes out, could marvin make a quick exchange (to get a fresh dribble and the ability to drive in any direction) with fox or hield and drive to the hoop, beating slower bigs with his speed (and ball handling ability - if he has those skills like he appears to believe he has)?

and if you get everyone spread, passing to fox and allowing him to go one on one should be an offensive plus.

barnes and tyrese in the corners, buddy and foxy on the left/right up top, all four behind the three point line - how would defenses react?

if someone like nurcic comes out to guard marvin, he should be able to drive to the basket or find a teammate cutting to the hoop, IF he really has those skills.

but i think we know his postup game is a work in progress and you have to find a way to spread the floor enough so that buddy can't be doubled up high.
1. Opposing teams would attack Marvin as he brings the ball up. He can dribble and go coast to coast from time to time. But he has never shown once the ability to cross and go right, dribble right handed for more than one dribble, jab and stab with his handle, jump stop and shoot or facilitate.

2. Walton ain't Pops. Last night, Spurs basically gave Lonnie Walker the green light to drive and score on the Wolves all game long. That was the mismatch. He milked it all night. Walton doesn't have that type of commitment.

1) ok. opposing team comes out on marvin - they can't really double if everyone is spread out around the three point line.

if marvin is a poor screener, let him instead in initiate from the top of the line and this allows the guards to cut and screen for one another (forwards holding behind the line) without a big man's presence.

i like those matchups

2) walton ain't pops. but pops wasn't always pops. he was an assistant on that spurs club that couldn't beat nelson's plan, despite being heavily favored.

after another year with the spurs, he went to be nelson's lead assistant for two years and from there to the spurs head coaching job.

now he's pops.

i'm not saying, "sure fire guarantee" - i'm saying, A) "you gotta try something different and B) play to your player's strengths and let marvin hold the ball high at the top of the key and allow the guards cut and screen for each other. denver plays this way sometimes with nokic up top.

just don't repeat the same failing system game after game - especially when it clearly isn't working.

Buddy, Kennard, McCollum, Beasly, Reddick, Seth Curry, Joe Harris, Bojan Bogdanovic, Huerter, Malik Monk. Forget age. Forget contract. Skill and athletic abilities only. Where do you rank them?
What skill are you talking about? What particular athletic ability? Buddy isn't a skill and athlete player the same as a Seth Curry, Joe Harris, Huerter, and Redick, whereas Bojan, McCollum, and Monk (if used for his combo skills, which he isn't) probably are. That's one of the reasons Buddy's been mishandled so massively. He's has an elite skill as a catch and shoot player. To the tune that he was in the same breath as Curry and Klay prior to Walton showing up. In todays league you'll take elite catch and shoot ability over more skill if those skills aren't going to be maxed out on a particular team.

The question is can Walton prioritize shooting over role players that aren't court spreaders or big enough to switch on the other end?? Answer is he won't. Would you like to be the coach? I'm sure we can get a petition going with enough steam to get Viveks attention, hahaha. The sad thing is Monte did say he expected 5 out sets. He didn't realize Walton thinks Holmes and Bagley at PF/C equals that. hahaha. They do set up in 4 and 5 outs but they just tend to swing the ball side to side like normal. To me, you go with what already works. At least keep it 4 out with high middle pick and roll after high middle pick and roll with Bagley and Fox/Haliburton. Then build off of that. They'll run it once now then back to high post handoff and horns BS.

Would you like to be the coach? I'm sure we can get a petition going with enough steam to get Viveks attention, hahaha. The sad thing is Monte did say he expected 5 out sets. He didn't realize Walton thinks Holmes and Bagley at PF/C equals that. hahaha. They do set up in 4 and 5 outs but they just tend to swing the ball side to side like normal. To me, you go with what already works. At least keep it 4 out with high middle pick and roll after high middle pick and roll with Bagley and Fox/Haliburton. The build off of that. They'll run it once then back to high post handoff and horns BS.
The high post handoff is my favorite.

It just turns the 24 second shot clock into a 12 second shot clock because they wind up in the exact same positions they were already in when the ball first crossed the half court line. It's like the easiest cover in basketball and Walton runs it like 40% of the time.

The high post handoff is my favorite.

It just turns the 24 second shot clock into a 12 second shot clock because they wind up in the exact same positions they were already in when the ball first crossed the half court line. It's like the easiest cover in basketball and Walton runs it like 40% of the time.
Mine too! haha. And at 8-12 seconds just run a pnr anyway as a last resort. That or attempt to run it through the post after wasting the clock, yep.

Mine too! haha. And at 8-12 seconds just run a pnr anyway as a last resort. That or attempt to run it through the post after wasting the clock, yep.
Yep, no sense on running the PNR in the beginning and then go to Plan B at the end of the shot clock. Why give yourself two chances at a good shot opportunity when you can just give yourself one? Walton logic.