[Game] Kings v. Nets - 3/1/17 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Another game, another chance for frustration and futility... or, hey, maybe we could win one?

It's hard to even start these threads. I want to root for my Kings, but I don't know where they are. The team on the court isn't my Kings. The coaching staff looks familiar, but the product on the court just hurts my heart.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know...rebuilding, future, 2 years, blah, blah, blah. Well, it isn't 2 years from now. It's now...and right now I am going to be angry for a long time that I don't even want to watch my Kings. What's there to be excited about? Listen to Grant and it's all roses and sunshine and unicorns and if I don't like it, I should find another team to root for. "ROOT FOR"... that's rich.

Sorry for the rant.

#GoKings

Well, it took two games for me to lose all interest again.

I'll be here. I'll be salty and snarky. If they win I'll be shocked. If they lose I'll just be expecting it.

Happy days, from Kingsville it is.
The front office will be expecting it too. This year and next. That's the plan

The plan is to be one of the worst teams in the league this remaining year and next, the horror.

I'd make a remark on Collison, but man, "lifeless" is back in full force. He's an emotional guy that's a ghost when he has other things on his mind (suspension, now the trade).

WCS is the question mark for me. I already believe in Skal/Buddy. WCS needs to turn those skills into a consistent positive player, or Papa. One of them

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
After trading dmc we should be 0.00 Rooks and young players getting most of the playing time to develop while tolliver and kk get some rest.
I created a whole separate thread for the discussion of tanking. Could we just maybe make the game threads a tank-free zone?

I just went and checked the Nets roster. Quincy Acy is playing for the Nets. Other than that it is Lin, Lopez, Foye and a bunch of guys I don't recognize. The nets have won 9 games........NINE.

Looking forward to he game, be home watching. I have the tickers but my son and his wife are going. Team has to work harder to get better shots. That will come but slowly at first. Also the starting line up and rotations are a work in progress. Win or lose, nothing comes easy at this time. Keep the faith and try to make it fun watching this thing develop.

dude12

Hall of Famer
There's nothing like watching Collison trying to shoulder the scoring load. Can't even create for the other guys. But there is no complaining and they play "together as a team".

If Sac loses this game, and it's a real possibility, then I will be watching and listening for Napear trying to spin it. Reality is hitting Peaches in the face these last 2 games.

Lawson mentioned somewhere not knowing what play he could call that everyone might know. We definitely have a low ceiling for the time being but with time and practices we should see improvements.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Over the past three games one thing kind of stands out: because of lack of practice, and serious lack of punch offensively this team is very dependent on Fast Break points. If they can force turnovers, team rebound the ball on the defensive end and get out in the open court they stand a good chance against a lot of teams and certainly the Nets. But honestly if this is a half-court game I'm not too optimistic.

Over the past three games one thing kind of stands out: because of lack of practice, and serious lack of punch offensively this team is very dependent on Fast Break points. If they can force turnovers, team rebound the ball on the defensive end and get out in the open court they stand a good chance against a lot of teams and certainly the Nets.
Yep - exactly why I focus on whether the refs allow them to play Handsy Defense or not.

Go watch the 1st quarter, and see which team is allowed to reach in and create steals more - that's usually the team that will win that game IME.

There's nothing like watching Collison trying to shoulder the scoring load. Can't even create for the other guys. But there is no complaining and they play "together as a team".

If Sac loses this game, and it's a real possibility, then I will be watching and listening for Napear trying to spin it. Reality is hitting Peaches in the face these last 2 games.
he seems to know the team is tanking. He started the show off yesterday stating Vlade didn't make the trade to get immediately better. He'll just spin in his opinion the positive outlook of the picks and how being a treadmill with Cousins wasn't working

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
When do season tickets holders have to decide about renewing for next year?
Pretty sure they already renewed. I guess you could say they got the same treatment Rudy Gay did. At least they're consistent.

Anyway, I can't objectively look at this roster and believe they SHOULD beat the Nets. I firmly believe, however, that they COULD, because anything can happen.

The Nets have won 1 game this year, if we lose this one at home that should tell everyone where we are at as a roster and franchise.

Every time we show the slightest sign of being a competent franchise or possibly see playoffs on the horizon Vivek decides to nip that quickly and start over. At least hes true to his philosophy, fail as fast as you can.

When they are so out of touch with the fanbase, why was there no fan revolt or any booing going on?
Is it Vlade, who is out of touch with the fanbase or is it Kingsfans.com?
From afar thats very difficult to measure.
Its only game 3-4 since the trade and since Game 1 went so well I think the propaganda got some validation but reality is quickly setting in and there was already some booing and yelling last game, you could hear it on TV some of the mics picked it up.

I think a lot of the fans who aren't buying the BS propaganda are just tired of revolting over and over again, what does it accomplish? Vivek will always own the team and his ego will always get in the way, a fan revolt does nothing towards change of ownership.

Don't worry guys if all goes according to the Vlade Master Plan, and our guys bring their "A" games tonight, we might be break 90 points! Looking at the standings and schedule I think good chance exists that DAL, POR and T'Wolves pass us in win totals when the season comes to merciful end. We will probably hover around the win totals of Knicks and Pelicans, assuming NOP win another game again this season with "The Toxic One". That would put us in the 6-8 worst range after these sorry sack teams:

1. Nets (Celts)
2. Suns
3. Lakers
4. Magic
5. 76ers

I think these teams are fairly entrenched in their ineptitude and tank aspirations. NOP, Mavs and Blazers have talent, pride and delusional playoff aspirations. Of course if KD is sidelined indefinitely with bum knee who knows what could happen in the #1 vs #8 match-up?!?!? The Nuggets got their 26th win in Chicago last night. :) As bad as they stink defensively, when they are on offensively, they can compete with anyone. So they will likely finish ahead of us and our anemic offense. Dallas is competitive with Seth Curry flame throwing, Dirk spotting up, Barnes scoring, and Carlisle incorporating Noel. I see them getting a few Ws.

So we are nestled in this esteemed range with NOP, NYK and SAC. This is the sweet spot to be! Why? Well (1) we don't convey our pick to CHI (2) We have an outside chance at Top 3 if the 76ers getting in there and (3) it can be quantified the likelihood that NOP move up and that looks favorable for us. Let's suppose NOP continue to get D League play outside their "Big Three", frustrations builds and techs mount with Boogie missing 2-3 games before the season due to uncontrolled emotions. Possible and probable! I am fascinated to see how NOP season plays out with almost morbid curiosity.

Here's what could happen if the Pelicans don't get it together. If the Pelicans finish with the 6th, 7th or 8th worst record:
  • 6th worst: 74% chance of landing #6 or #7 (only 21% of Top 3)
  • 7th worst: 83% chance of 7th or 8th (only 14% of Top 3)
  • 8th worst: 89% chance of 8th or 9th (only 10% of Top 3)
These are the odds I would hope the Kings front office was aware of before conceding Top 3 protection, but doubtful! Regardless a tradeoff exists between Pelicans losing to point it becomes disadvantageous and they are likely to keep their pick. What is that tipping point? Good news, it is basically out of reach. Its a point unlikely to be broached with the those five bad teams fairly secure at the bottom of the standings.
  • 5th worst: 70% chance of landing #5, #6, or #7 (only 30% chance of Top 3)
  • 4th worst: 61% chance of landing #4, #5 or #6 (39% chance of Top 3)
  • 3rd worst: 53% chance of landing #4, #5 or #6 (47% chance of Top 3)
It is not until a team falls to 3rd worst record that it basically turns into a coin flip to get a Top 3 pick. The best risk/reward ratio for Kings is to finish with the 5th or 6th worst record to move up while 76ers simultaneously get lucky, so that even if the swap rights are exercises we get a Top 3 pick! The best risk/reward ratio for SAC to get NOP pick while being relatively high in the lottery, is for the Pelicans to finish with the 7th or 8th worst record. Based on my analysis, these odds appear fairly realistic.

Even if we don't move up into Top 3, the #6 and #7 pick in the 2017 draft or the #7 and #8 pick in the 2017 draft would be incredibly sweet! (Fox and Tatum, anyone? ;)) Why do I present this data and analysis in context of a pre-game thread? Perhaps it will give fans small consolation if and when we lose to a 9-win team tonight!