[Game] Kings v. Jazz - Saturday, March 3 - 7 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
really strange substitution times for this game, lets insert Skal with 3 minutes left in the game
I think he put him back in as soon as he got back onto the bench. It looked to me that Skal headed to the locker room right before the commercial.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
headed to the locker room for what?
I have no idea. They didn't mention it. I've seen guys go to the locker room off the bench for a variety of reasons. I could also have been mistaken. As I said, it happened just as they went to commercial.

Did JJ just reward my question if he was a long term starting prospect at SF by a resounding stretch of games that answered pretty much definitively that he isn’t? What has his impact been?

I'm pretty hard on JJ. I never liked the pick, I wasn't impressed by him in last years road to the final 4. Its easy to get fooled by guys like Mateen Cleaves, Thomas Robinson...and JJ. They apparently lead their teams deep into the tourney so scouts think gee they must be good but they dont have the substance beyond the college game. I believe its safe to say we need to upgrade next year at the SF position.

One thing is pretty clear. If the Kings want that pick as early as possible the play Randolph for as long as possible. He is very good for the lins.

Kids scrapped and played hard but were not good enough. Fox and Bogdan played well, Buddy was OK, JJ had a disappearing act, Mason scrapped but bricked a lot (was not alone).

Skal was terrible in the 1st half, then he came out and had himself a heck of a 2nd half. Well done kid!

I think, if anything, today proved the Kings really need a defensive presence like Bamba (if he pans out to be anywhere close to Gobert). Jazz were just getting anything they wanted in the paint. The story of the season really. Great game by Skal though!

Rudy Gobert is just ridiculous too, his impact on both ends is crazy. Didn't realize how effective his screens were at freeing up Mitchell. We just didn't have an answer for him.
Gobert is a slightly above average big playing in a small ball era where he gets to take advantage of much smaller players via switches -- which makes him look better than he really is. Utah is one of the rare teams that actually plays to the strengths and advantages they have rather than trying to match their opponent. Kudos to them for that.

Just finished watching the game. Some good things to takea away. Fox had some really nice moves. Bogi played solid. Skal was fantastic in the second half. I have no idea how anyone can still doubt that Skal's best position is at the five with guards/wings around him instead of at PF where he is away from the basket and has to chase guys on the perimeter. :)

Last edited:
All in all, not a bad effort by the kids. While their record may speak otherwise, the Jazz are actually NOT a bad team at all...They got a lot of good pieces out there. Gobert and Ingles are way too good for a team like the Kings. Players like those are just going to exploit our weaknesses all game long. And, while they give us a glimmer of hope by keeping the score close throughout most of the 48-minute contest, at the end of the day, they will still make it seem as if they had complete control of the whole game (from start to finish).

I just can't wait to see this team (the Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangzzzzzzzzz) in a few years, when guys like Bogi and Fox have a few years under their belt. It is truly going to be something special.

Just finished watching the game. Some good things to takea away. Fox had some really nice moves. Bogi played solid. Skal was fantastic in the second half. I have no idea how anyone can still doubt that Skal's best position is at the five with guards/wings around him instead of at PF where he is away from the basket and has to chase guys on the perimeter. :)
Skal isn't really a fit anywhere on either end. If you play him as a C on defense, then he offers absolutely no rim protection, rebounding, nor size. He's a liability on the floor until he proves otherwise.

I do think he's best long-term at the C position because he just doesn't have the footspeed to guard PFs. He's got a long way until he amounts into something positive.

I'm pretty hard on JJ. I never liked the pick, I wasn't impressed by him in last years road to the final 4. Its easy to get fooled by guys like Mateen Cleaves, Thomas Robinson...and JJ. They apparently lead their teams deep into the tourney so scouts think gee they must be good but they dont have the substance beyond the college game. I believe its safe to say we need to upgrade next year at the SF position.
I know Jackson is only a rookie, but I don't know how anyone could look at him and go, "yeah, he's definitely a part of our future". Unassertive SF who struggles to impact the game. He's also an extremely inconsistent 3pt shooter. Not talking Buddy Hield inconsistent..but wide-off the mark inconsistent. His shot zone is horrific. He's only good at shooting on the left corner. Everywhere else is well below league average.

Gobert is a slightly above average big playing in a small ball era where he gets to take advantage of much smaller players via switches -- which makes him look better than he really is. Utah is one of the rare teams that actually plays to the strengths and advantages they have rather than trying to match their opponent. Kudos to them for that.
Gobert is the best defensive center I have seen since at least prime Orlando Dwight. He is the reason Utah has had a resurgence. Calling him "slightly above average" is insulting.

This comment actually made me laugh my ass off.

It's actually mind-boggling how wrong you can be with your "analysis". Maybe on offense he's just slightly above average, but still, give me 13 PPG on 64% TS all day every day. He's a dominant rebounder. And he's a generational talent on the defensive-end, right there with Kawhi and Draymond. He's just the anchor for everything they do defensively and he makes up for a lot of mistakes that happen in front of him. What's funny is you actually pointed out a reason he's so successful; the fact that he can switch out on the perimeter at his size and length is what separates him as a special defensive talent, in addition to being the best rim protector in basketball.

He passes the eye-test, stats absolutely love him. I really don't get how anyone can watch him and just think he's "another guy".

It's nights like this that make me curious as to what WCS is thinking right now.

EDIT: I do not mean to imply that I think WCS is now redundant. I think WCS needs to pattern his effort after Skal. I still think together they can be incredible.
Neither are even close to incredible. One of them probably won’t even be with team next year. Mark my words

We might have won if wcs played and Randolph didn’t. Randolph was terrible on both sides of the floor today.
WCS apologist. Gobert would have torn him up.
WCS is nothing more than a role player.
WCS has a decent game against a no big Brooklyn team. All of sudden, he looks competent again. Lol. Big players show up in big games. Not fellow lottery teams.
Gobert is one of the top defensive centers in the game.