Kings v. GS preseason 10/10 Gametime Thread

^^ yeah.. so it's rookies vs rookies i guess..

the team's just looking for people who could possibly make the roster.. we're not gonna depend on the rookies during the regular season, so i'm not stressed out that we lost..

kingsfan420 said:
rookies were not what the made them out to be..there going to sit on the bench most of the season,,thats my view on it .....dont forget the golden state did not have none of there good players also.
Golden State total combined rookie play time - 36 minutes

Kings total combined rookie play time - 131 minutes

Golden State was using their veterans the entire time. Even if that veteran is a scrub that player has a lot more experience compared to some college boy trying to make it into the league.

piksi

Hall of Famer
kingsfan420 said:
rookies were not what the made them out to be..there going to sit on the bench most of the season,,thats my view on it .....dont forget the golden state did not have none of there good players also.
We are all aware that we will play with 7-8 man heavy rotation. Everybody else has to hope for garbage time.

Ricky Martin (I'm just going to call them (K. Martin and R. Minard) that from now on ;)) looked ok. They looked like, well what they are rookies. But you saw some glimpses of some real nice things.

piksi

Hall of Famer
ReinadelosReys said:
Well that, but not really in that sense. It was just odd seeing the Kings but without any of the "regular" sets.

But on the subject of big men, did anyone else like Adam Parada?
We sure will miss the "back doors"

Mad D said:
Golden State total combined rookie play time - 36 minutes

Kings total combined rookie play time - 131 minutes
might as well take 9 minutes of the total rookie time for Golden State, I forgot Matt Carrol had NBA experience.

ReinadelosReys said:
Ricky Martin (I'm just going to call them (K. Martin and R. Minard) that from now on ;)) looked ok.
I like this one.....ha ha:cool:
for those who's saying GS also using rookie, let's count some playing time, from the most, we have Dale Davis, Speedy Claxton, Cliff Robinson, J Rich, then Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy and Derek Fisher......and........well, the only rookie that played more than 10 mins is Andris Biedrins from Latvia.......

ReinadelosReys said:
Ricky Martin (I'm just going to call them (K. Martin and R. Minard) that from now on ;)) looked ok. They looked like, well what they are rookies. But you saw some glimpses of some real nice things.
while i agree that they definitely did look like rookies out there, i must say i was impressed with martin's overall agressiveness and assertiveness. i like that he attacks the basket so fearlessly. he's got good offensive awareness. i think he'll be a great asset off the bench as the season progresses. and i also really liked what i saw from minard, defensively especially. he got a coupla steals, and took three or four charges. he was agressive at both ends, and showed some serious hustle. obviously these guys have got some things to prove as well as some things to learn, but i think we may have got two steals in the draft. bluthenthal (i think im jus gonna call him blu' from now on) shined in a coupla spots, and may prove to be valuable off the bench as well. im not really sure yet. i dont know enough about his game. the other try-outs shined here and there, but i dont know how many are actually worth taking a chance on. we may have to sign one of the big guys, tho, at least until o-tag returns.

as for the rest of the crew, well.....the rust is showing. peja looked great in the 20 or so minutes he was out there, but mike looked lost and brad looked out of sync. im not too worried, tho, and i jus cant wait til november 2nd!

Pre season games are all about experimenting (especially a very first game of preseason). It is in no way a sign of things to come in regular season.

We lost to Golden State in pre season last year as well.

ReinadelosReys said:
So did the rookies shake their "bom bom" tonight or what?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingsfan420 said:
rookies were not what they made them out to be..their going to sit on the bench most of the season,,thats my view on it .....dont forget that golden state did not have alot of their good players
You're kidding, right? You're going to judge rookies by their first pre-season game?

Do you know by any chance how Peja (just as an example) did his first SEASON?

Rookies are just that - rookies. They're new to the team; they're new to the league; they're new to Arco.

You're a rookie poster. Does that mean we should judge you by your first posts?

;)

Give them a chance. It's PRE-SEASON for a reason.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Here is my take on the new boys based of course on one bief viewing:
K. Martin... great athleticism and good hutle... best of the bunch.
R. Minard... More good play, not aftaid to take a charge and some scoring ablity.
Here is where things drop off
Prada............. useable big man who might make the squad due to desperation. Can block and rebound and has a tough streek. Think Najara with less skills.
Bluthenthal...... rough prospect has raw tallent and can score, but culess on transition and ot very sharp on D despite his sustle.
Barnes............ sometallent but no room at the inn.
Erick Daniels..... Good hustle, some big moments, but undersized for the front line and too slow to play in the back court. Might make a good project for a team with time and a slot.

kingsfan420 said:
pre-season means so much if you ever played in a league,it is much like the first point in overtime game..... 95 percent of the time the first to score wins ,,to lose by that much sucks.... presason or not..I love the kings,, but i can see, we should have beat them with are ball boys
Yeah, preseason success means a whole lot. Just look at the Bulls, they went 4-4 last year in the preseason. It was a great springboard to a 23-win season.

Kev.in said:
Yeah, preseason success means a whole lot. Just look at the Bulls, they went 4-4 last year in the preseason. It was a great springboard to a 23-win season.
yeh and when the pistions went .500 and won a champsionship

preseason means notthing but getting your timing back and seeing what your invitees' abilities

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Particularly the first few games before the cut downs -- most of the minnutes are played by guys who have no shot of even making the team. Maybe by the last 1 or 2 you are starting to get a feel for the real lineup and how it will do. Maybe.

I agree most with Padrino & HndsmCelt's takes and they were more elequent than I'm going to be...IMO M&M both played well, especially for rookies. Martin had 5 rebounds, an assist and a block (9 pts), Minard had fewer rebounds than I expected (1) but had 3 assists and 3 steals (5 pts). Parada, E. Daniels, and Matt Barnes all had a few good plays as well. So did some of the others. Bluth, on the other hand, showed me less than I expected. The final score looks like a blow out but it was close all game until the 4th quarter. Plenty of bone headed plays for both the rooks and the starters but all in all (I know this is gonna shock both KG and VF :) ) I was very pleased with the way the Kings played until the 4th quarter but by then Adelman had emptied his bench and given everyone a chance to play. By the last 6 minutes it was a free for all (at least in my opinion) and there was no coherent team play.

As Kingsgurl had suggested earlier, Kevin plays quite well, especially as a rookie in his first pro game. It wasn't perfect or necessarilly awesome but DAMN that kid is QUICK! It's the first thing I thought about him in the first couple of minutes....it was like: Damn, he's quick! My next thought (as though I was in the lounge area playing the association game) was DOG! ...So, I'm nicknaming him in my mind after QD, damn, he's a quick dog....When QD sees him play for the first time, I think he's gonna like him too. Lots of hustle, lots of upside, Gerald who? (and I loved Gerald, BTW).

All in all, as an optomist hiding in pessimist clothing, I'm pleased.

KK! :D

Padrino said:
while i agree that they definitely did look like rookies out there, i must say i was impressed with martin's overall agressiveness and assertiveness. i like that he attacks the basket so fearlessly. he's got good offensive awareness. i think he'll be a great asset off the bench as the season progresses. and i also really liked what i saw from minard, defensively especially. he got a coupla steals, and took three or four charges. he was agressive at both ends, and showed some serious hustle. obviously these guys have got some things to prove as well as some things to learn, but i think we may have got two steals in the draft. bluthenthal (i think im jus gonna call him blu' from now on) shined in a coupla spots, and may prove to be valuable off the bench as well. im not really sure yet. i dont know enough about his game. the other try-outs shined here and there, but i dont know how many are actually worth taking a chance on. we may have to sign one of the big guys, tho, at least until o-tag returns.

as for the rest of the crew, well.....the rust is showing. peja looked great in the 20 or so minutes he was out there, but mike looked lost and brad looked out of sync. im not too worried, tho, and i jus cant wait til november 2nd!
Ditto!!

Looking at the pictures from yesterdays game, I see that Brad Miller still has his elbow wrapped up like at the end of season last year. Anybody know if his elbows are feeling better?

nebs said:
Koz interviewed Mike Shehee (sp?) from comcast and he said they are working on pac-10, wac and mentioned the Raiders and 49ers for possible programming...also noted that the dish and other people are talking to them on a deal for the channel.
Thanks for that info, nebs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kingskings! said:
I agree most with Padrino & HndsmCelt's takes and they were more elequent than I'm going to be...IMO M&M both played well, especially for rookies. Martin had 5 rebounds, an assist and a block (9 pts), Minard had fewer rebounds than I expected (1) but had 3 assists and 3 steals (5 pts). Parada, E. Daniels, and Matt Barnes all had a few good plays as well. So did some of the others. Bluth, on the other hand, showed me less than I expected. The final score looks like a blow out but it was close all game until the 4th quarter. Plenty of bone headed plays for both the rooks and the starters but all in all (I know this is gonna shock both KG and VF :) ) I was very pleased with the way the Kings played until the 4th quarter but by then Adelman had emptied his bench and given everyone a chance to play. By the last 6 minutes it was a free for all (at least in my opinion) and there was no coherent team play.

As Kingsgurl had suggested earlier, Kevin plays quite well, especially as a rookie in his first pro game. It wasn't perfect or necessarilly awesome but DAMN that kid is QUICK! It's the first thing I thought about him in the first couple of minutes....it was like: Damn, he's quick! My next thought (as though I was in the lounge area playing the association game) was DOG! ...So, I'm nicknaming him in my mind after QD, damn, he's a quick dog....When QD sees him play for the first time, I think he's gonna like him too. Lots of hustle, lots of upside, Gerald who? (and I loved Gerald, BTW).

All in all, as an optomist hiding in pessimist clothing, I'm pleased.

KK! :D
How cool would it be if a player ended up with the same nickname as one of our long-time members?

;)

anyone notice last night, that Brad was vocal in directing the defense before he lost his concentration after getting into it with Dale Davis