[Game] Kings v. Celtics - Sunday, March 25 - 3 PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. Interesting quarter. Kings definitely shook off the 3rd quarter malaise and only trail by 2. 80-78.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings have gone ice cold to the point where they couldn't hit water from a boat. Not much time left as the Celtics now lead 97-86. Looks like our 3rd quarter slump just hit.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Remember who we were playing...if people complain about this outing, they're just haters. :p

See you back here on Tuesday for Kings v. Mavericks.

I LOVE THIS TEAM1

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would take Jayen Brown on the Kings over any other player in the league except Kawhi. Rozier was someone I also really wanted prior to drafting Fox. Celtics are darn nice team.
Probably not the right thread for this, but what's gonna happen if Irving doesn't make it back? Rozier had a beautiful game tonight - against the Kings. Not sure how he'd stand up against the best PGs in the East.

That's the part of NBA basketball that hurts the most. Seeing teams work hard to build something special only to see it severely impacted by injuries. Guess it's just proof that life isn't fair. :(

I'm seeing good ball movement and hearing communication between the players. And EFFORT!
Interesting, listening to the game in Boston and the Celtics color guy specifically said the difference between the Kings and Celtics is they move the ball better and kick the ball out to three point shooters.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good game. Lots of effort, focus on the kids, more lessons being learned.

It's a good time to be a Kings fan.
Whaaat? Fox looked asleep out there when he was "guarding" Rozier. Joerger could barely be diplomatic in his post-game about the lack of effort guarding him. Fox has looked complacent now for several games. He rarely comes out the gate strong, as if he feels he can coast until the 4th quarter and then start playing hard. I have no problem with Joerger playing Mason most of the minutes if this is the way Fox is going to play. I love Fox's talent, but the young guy has got to play hard in virtually every game, not now and again when he feels like it. He's not going to reach his potential if he does that.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I watched the Celtic's stream and they said the Kings are the worst 3 point defending team in NBA HISTORY.
Even if that's true, it's a little misleading. The rate at which players are taking and making three pointers the last 5 years is way beyond any other point in NBA history so it's no surprise that one of the worst defensive squads this season would temporarily inherit that "honor". I expect there will be a lot more "worst 3pt defending teams in history" if the current obsession with the three continues for another 10 years or more unless the rules are changed in some way to curb the chuck fest. We're also weakest at the wing positions this year which is where most of the pick-switching perimeter defense is expected to come from. It's a little eye opening as a sound bite but I don't think it tells us anything we don't already know. Get some length on the wing and maybe a combo forward who can get out and contest and we should be at least league average next year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I watched the Celtic's stream and they said the Kings are the worst 3 point defending team in NBA HISTORY.
People say things.

The Kings are currently allowing opponents to shoot .386, the worst in the league this season. However, there are 21 teams in NBA history that have allowed opponents to shoot better than the Kings this year, led by the '10-'11 Cavaliers (.411). It is notable that the '09-'10 Kings are second on that list at .406.

We are, however, allowing the most opponent 3PTM per game in NBA history. However, 16 of the top 20 teams in 3PTM allowed are this year, and the other 4 of the top 20 were last year. This is part of a general trend. The league average 3PTM this year is 10.5 per game - which means that the league 3PTM ALLOWED is also 10.5 per game. Again, there are exactly four teams in NBA history that have allowed at least 10.5 3PTM per game outside of this season, and they were all last season. Frankly, there's been a revolution in three-pointers - over the last 10 years, the average 3PTM per game has gone 6.4, 6.5, 6.4, 7.2, 7.7, 7.8, 8.5, 9.7, 10.5. Three pointers have shot up in the last 3 years particularly, because teams have finally started to understand that scoring more points per possession wins games.

So that's where they're getting their numbers - by saying that in a season where the league has shot and made more threes than ever before, the Kings happen to be the worst team this year at defending it. However, if you were to normalize 3PTM for league 3PTA, I have no doubt this year's Kings wouldn't crack the top ten.

Last edited:
Whaaat? Fox looked asleep out there when he was "guarding" Rozier. Joerger could barely be diplomatic in his post-game about the lack of effort guarding him. Fox has looked complacent now for several games. He rarely comes out the gate strong, as if he feels he can coast until the 4th quarter and then start playing hard. I have no problem with Joerger playing Mason most of the minutes if this is the way Fox is going to play. I love Fox's talent, but the young guy has got to play hard in virtually every game, not now and again when he feels like it. He's not going to reach his potential if he does that.
Couple that with him not being able to run the offense at all and he's easily been our worst player this year. All he does is run lazily past a screen and then pass it back to the screener. They hardly even run pick and rolls with him. Makes me wonder if he's not even able to do that adequately. I thought it was just a ZBo issue and while it's worse with ZBo out there, Fox seems to do it with whoever is setting screens for him. It's why we get to watch WCS shoot clank after clank off the rim from the mid range.

Rozier was awful his rookie year and not very good his second, so hopefully Fox can improve like he did but it's not looking good for him. The odds of him becoming a good player are getting lower by the game.

Even if that's true, it's a little misleading. The rate at which players are taking and making three pointers the last 5 years is way beyond any other point in NBA history so it's no surprise that one of the worst defensive squads this season would temporarily inherit that "honor". I expect there will be a lot more "worst 3pt defending teams in history" if the current obsession with the three continues for another 10 years or more unless the rules are changed in some way to curb the chuck fest. We're also weakest at the wing positions this year which is where most of the pick-switching perimeter defense is expected to come from. It's a little eye opening as a sound bite but I don't think it tells us anything we don't already know. Get some length on the wing and maybe a combo forward who can get out and contest and we should be at least league average next year.
People say things.

The Kings are currently allowing opponents to shoot .386, the worst in the league this season. However, there are 21 teams in NBA history that have allowed opponents to shoot better than the Kings this year, led by the '10-'11 Cavaliers (.411). It is notable that the '09-'10 Kings are second on that list at .406.

We are, however, allowing the most opponent 3PTM per game in NBA history. However, 16 of the top 20 teams in 3PTM allowed are this year, and the other 4 of the top 20 were last year. This is part of a general trend. The league average 3PTM this year is 10.5 per game - which means that the league 3PTM ALLOWED is also 10.5 per game. Again, there are exactly four teams in NBA history that have allowed at least 10.5 3PTM per game outside of this season, and they were all last season. Frankly, there's been a revolution in three-pointers - over the last 10 years, the average 3PTM per game has gone 6.4, 6.5, 6.4, 7.2, 7.7, 7.8, 8.5, 9.7, 10.5. Three pointers have shot up in the last 3 years particularly, because teams have finally started to understand that scoring more points per possession wins games.

So that's where they're getting their numbers - by saying that in a season where the league has shot and made more threes than ever before, the Kings happen to be the worst team this year at defending it. However, if you were to normalize 3PTM for league 3PTA, I have no doubt this year's Kings wouldn't crack the top ten.
Thank you for the analyses. The broadcasters did mention that it was due to the trend of more 3 pt shots being taken, but it was still not a flattering sound bite at all. I didn't realize we were that bad at something so important in today's game. I feel like JJ and Fox should be above average 3 pt defenders. Hopefully time will fix this.
I'm going to guess that we are 7th in standings despite this record due to good offense.