Kings to sell picks? (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
??? I don't think we've made - nor would I want us to make - an offer of #4 AND #23 for #2. Rubio has a lot of appeal but he's not worth TWO first round picks at this point IMHO. If he's there at 4, fine. If not, there are other PGs, a couple of which just might actually fit our player needs better than Rubio. Yes, he's exciting and I know he would reinvigorate the fan base, leading to more attendance, etc. but I'm not convinced we should put a crimp in our rebuilding efforts by giving away two draft picks for him.

There is a rumor that if the right player isn't available at #23, that the KIngs might be willing to sell the pick.:eek:

So, here's my thinking. Evans at #4. Not a pure PG but neither was Hedo,and the Magic made the finals. Evans plays the PG and some SG. If he can beat out Martin, then we move Martin next year.

At #23, if a good PG isn't available, we sell the pick. We use the money & the additional cap space gained by not signing #23, to go after Sessions or Felton. Now, you've got your PG and backup PG/SG. If you can't sign Sessions or Felton, look to pickup someone at the trade deadline when K9's contract becomes moveable. Play the year with Evans, Beno & (FA, BJax)

At #31, best SF/PF available. Sign a couple of Vets to backup at Center & PF. Then hope we win the lottory next year and draft John Wall.;)

EDIT: sources include http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7444
I know how good Evans is, but what about Ricky Rubio? From the projected draft spots I've seen, he might come to Sacramento with Memphis picking up Thabeet. If not Rubio, what about picking up Henderson? I'm a big time Duke fan and I've seen the level of skill that Henderson has, he would definitely help out this team, not necessarily be what Derrick Rose was to Chi-town, but if we're definitely rebuilding, then this could be a guy to set us straight for the oncoming years.

Starters next season look like --

Beno
Henderson
Martin/Nocioni
Green/Booth??
Hawes

I didn't watch very many Kings games this year, so after small forwards, I really have no idea who did or who can do what.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What about Ricky Rubio? :p

I think you need to look at some of the other threads. There are only about 157,314 discussions about Rubio. What they're mainly talking about here is who we should pick with our #23 pick in the draft that we got from Houston, not the #4 pick we earned the old-fashioned way.

:D

And as far as starters go, I think you need to check out the rosters and stuff a bit more. We're kinda high on a second-year player named Jason Thompson at the power forward. And, not to nitpick too much, but Martin is a shooting guard pure and simple. There's no way he could play at the small forward position.

Last edited:
What about Ricky Rubio? :p

I think you need to look at some of the other threads. There are only about 157,314 discussions about Rubio.

:D
I probably should huh? But c'mon the guy's 18 right now, if you want to talk about youth, and having a young team, the guy not only has a TON of years in him, but he also has immense talent, it's not that he's exciting to watch, even though he is. He's hella raw!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I probably should huh? But c'mon the guy's 18 right now, if you want to talk about youth, and having a young team, the guy not only has a TON of years in him, but he also has immense talent, it's not that he's exciting to watch, even though he is. He's hella raw!
there's a poll that shows just how much Kings fans here want Rubio. It's almost overwhelming...you're pretty much preaching to the choir, you know?

Take a bit of time and read some of the other active threads. You'll get a feeling for what people are talking about pretty quickly.

there's a poll that shows just how much Kings fans here want Rubio. It's almost overwhelming...you're pretty much preaching to the choir, you know?

Take a bit of time and read some of the other active threads. You'll get a feeling for what people are talking about pretty quickly.
Will do, chief.

OK! I'm back! So I guess I was preaching to the choir. Well then, after Rubio, who do the Kings trade for? It's not quite about youth, I mean there has to be the right combination of veterans and youth, I mean, veterans provide the leadership and calm down the young hot heads, that's why the Lakers were successful (damn them.)

The 4th shouldn't be traded for veterans that's for sure, but I don't think it will be traded anyway--Rubio and Thabeet could land there, and that's what we should be aiming for. But if in the off chance both are not available we should look to trade up to get one of them maybe, or in a lesser scenario trade down for several picks in the teens or a one teen pick and a young player. But I wouldn't mind getting Brandon Jennings here.

The 23rd pick shouldn't be traded either--it's a hotbed spot, and we can get talent that has dropped there. Teague, James Johnson, Ty Lawson? I guess, and some others might be around, and we might get value with that pick. If all those players are taken by that point and we're getting a player that won't fit within the construct of the team, or someone that I'm not terribly high on, maybe trade it--but trade it preferably for another pick(s) within this draft, whether by going up or by going down again.

The 31st pick could possibly be traded--by that time we're out of the hotbed spot, and I'm not enthusiastic about the players that might be rising, falling, or level-pegging around there. Depends on the deal though, because at the end of the day we're still drafting youth, and that's what we need as currently comprised.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look, this would be approaching final straw status for me, but, BUT before I figured out exactly what that would mean I think I would basically give them one month after the draft to prove that they are anything but cheap as well as stupid.
Funny, this rumor has me at pretty much the same point. The reality is that this team could (and should) get a contributor at #23 and #31. They are too talent poor not to. But yes, if the Maloofs sold the 23rd pick for $3 million and then signed a journeyman for a year or two at $1 million, they'd only pay a bit more in terms of salary but would pocket the three million with no improvement to the team to show for the move.

After 24 years as a Kings fan, that might be the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of me supporting this team. And I would hate for that to be the case.

I won't be terribly sad if they sold those draft picks... Especially if they buy others, or use it to purchase some solid FA's.... That said with this being a "weak" draft, why are some of you ready to give up on the Kings FO if they plan to sell picks in a weak draft? I trust GP's judgement in talent, and if there is no one talented there that is worthy of a #23 draft pick then maybe selling it is the correct move for him to make. In all honesty though, if the kings wanted to fill their roster the cheapest they could then through the draft is probably one of the ways to do it... therefore I actually see us buying draft picks instead of selling them!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I won't be terribly sad if they sold those draft picks... Especially if they buy others, or use it to purchase some solid FA's.... That said with this being a "weak" draft, why are some of you ready to give up on the Kings FO if they plan to sell picks in a weak draft? I trust GP's judgement in talent, and if there is no one talented there that is worthy of a #23 draft pick then maybe selling it is the correct move for him to make. In all honesty though, if the kings wanted to fill their roster the cheapest they could then through the draft is probably one of the ways to do it... therefore I actually see us buying draft picks instead of selling them!
One thing that won't happen is the team selling picks and then buying others. Teams that sell picks want out of the draft, period. And the only time I think it's a good idea is when you are a playoff team with established starters and a solid bench where a rookie wouldn't get minutes and/or their salary would push you toward the luxury tax.

Secondly, selling picks doesn't give the Kings any more flexibility to sign free agents. They have to fill their roster out anyway and any veteran player will cost at least as much as what a rookie at that pick would make, if not more. That $3 million doesn't change the salary cap, it just goes into the team coffers.

The fact is that the Kings were the worst team in the NBA and very likely the least talented right now with only 7 guys under contract and one of those is Kenny Thomas. This draft is weak up top but fairly deep. At minimum it's deep enough that they could get a player who could contribute with both of those picks. Selling them is simply a sign that the team isn't trying to win.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The fact is that the Kings were the worst team in the NBA and very likely the least talented right now with only 7 guys under contract and one of those is Kenny Thomas.
With KT it's eight players under contract:
Hawes, Thompson, KT, Nocioni, Garcia, Greene, Martin, Udrih

I agree with the general premise, though. Our team has no business selling draft picks this year. Trading to improve draft position, I can live with. But we've got to add five contracts this offseason, and we can cover three (two cheaply) with our draft picks. If cheap is cheap, youth and potential beats some guys at the veteran's minimum and a few million in the coffers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm guessing we'll bring Jackson back, simply because he is a veteran PG and has said repeatedly he'd work for the vet's minimum...and it could be good experience for him to work as a player and as an assistant coach trainee, since that's the direction he's said he wants to pursue. So that would make 9. We really don't need to be selling picks.

I'm guessing we'll bring Jackson back, simply because he is a veteran PG and has said repeatedly he'd work for the vet's minimum...and it could be good experience for him to work as a player and as an assistant coach trainee, since that's the direction he's said he wants to pursue. So that would make 9. We really don't need to be selling picks.
Last year it looked like Bobby still had a little left in the tank. I hope he signs with a contender and takes one more shot at a championship.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's not surprising that we would be selling our picks, but it's damned depressing. I don't want to even hear about how that money is going to a free agent. Talk about wishful thinking...

I agree with another poster: If you don't have the money for even your draft picks you don't deserve to own an NBA team. Just sell it and be done with it.

This seems like a rumor without any legitimacy. The article appears to simply be talking about teams with multiple picks looking to sell, not the Kings are looking to sell the pick.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Last year it looked like Bobby still had a little left in the tank. I hope he signs with a contender and takes one more shot at a championship.
I'm not that sure Bobby would pick up and move just to sign with a contender for the simple reason he's been on a contending team and knows the heartache of not quite making the grade. Only one team wins at the end and if you're not wearing that jersey, you still lose regardless of how good you do right up until that final game.

My take - and I could be totally wrong - is that Bobby would love to finish out his career here where he's loved and has incredible ties to the community.

And I think his veteran presence would be very, very good for our kids. Remember, aside from Bobby - who is a returning veteran player - the player on our team with the most tenure is...

Kevin Martin.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Secondly, selling picks doesn't give the Kings any more flexibility to sign free agents. They have to fill their roster out anyway and any veteran player will cost at least as much as what a rookie at that pick would make, if not more. That $3 million doesn't change the salary cap, it just goes into the team coffers.
Well, that's not necessarily true, at least under my hey let's make yet another excuse for our front office scenario. Now I might be wrong here, but I think when you draft somebody that their salary slot becomes a hold on your cap until you either officially sign them or renounce them. So if for instance you were going to have $7mil in capspace, and then draft somebody who was eventually going to be paid $1mil, you would only have $6mil to spend until the rookie's contract was resolved So under my rosey scenario selling the pick isn't about not having to pay somebody for that roster spot eventually, but rather a way to have an extra million or two to spend in the early days fo the free agent period so that we can outbid somebody for Sessions -- rather than being able to offer him $6mil we might be able to offer him $7mil.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would need to have the rosiest of all glasses on to believe for a second that would be the motivation to sell a 1st round pick. ;)

Then again, the team could accomplish the same thing by drafting a player like Casspi who wouldn't come over this year. Then at least you aren't giving away an asset. We'll see. My patience with team ownership and the front office is running incredibly thin. This offseason is really a critical one as far as I'm concerned.

option one if no good players are available

combine 4 and 23 to trade up for 2 or 3

option 2

use draft picks on calathes, and claver

both will stay in europe.. we have their rights. while they grow in europe

the bad part about it is if they love europe so much they wont come here..

oh well this draft night come thursday (friday morning for me) is going to be intriguing

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
option one if no good players are available

combine 4 and 23 to trade up for 2 or 3
Since you'd have to make the trade before the 2nd or 3rd pick how could you possibly know if "no good players are available" at 23?

I haven't seen Claver play, but based on what I've read he's intriguing. I want no part of Calathes.