Kings sign Mikki Moore!!!

I hope this means a lot of changes are coming, as in this paragraph from the article from ESPN....

Sacramento also is known to be actively shopping most of its players in potential trades, and Moore's signing could be a prelude to a deal. But his arrival might squash the Kings' rumored talks about trading point guard Mike Bibby for Cleveland forward Drew Gooden, who plays much the same game.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2936292

If this was indeed a prelude to an upcoming move, that means we aren't getting a big man back, and the contracts we are getting back will be in the back-court and wing positions.

Whose on the block from those positions, and also has a bad contract?

Last edited:
I don't even know what to think about this team's direction anymore. For a second I thought they were turning around and then they do something like this, what is this supposed to mean? It makes me think they have no plan at all. What makes even less sense is it's guarunteed over two years which screws with a logical '09 cap space plan which apparently the kings can care less about. Even if they did trade Miller or whatever, this move still doesn't make any sense. If you just need a big body in there to split time with Hawes then get some guy that will sign a one or two year deal or get him in a trade or something. Another mid level contract that doesn't fit any kind of cap plan doesn't make any sense. We're supposed to be rebuilding, not spending the MLE on 32 year old backup centers with subpar rebounding and defense.
My thoughts exactly, I am disappointed with the direction this team appears to be headed. We can only hope that this is part of a bigger scheme, but given the past few years our hope is not very well grounded.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, at this point I simply cannot work up any kind of real anger, frustration, etc. about this move. I guess I've just become numb.

Aside from his age, I've got no real problem with Moore. As long as I'm not paying his salary, that is...

But I can't work up any kind of enthusiasm for this move, either.

...sigh...

Hey, did everybody check the thread about Slamson? HIS championship win is at least worth smiling about.

;)

From Brickies post:

This falls squarely into the WTH?? category:

NBA: Jazz target Toronto's Morris Peterson
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Launched: 07/02/2007 01:57:37 AM MDT

The Jazz reached out to Toronto's Morris Peterson in the opening minutes of the free-agent negotiating period Saturday night, and Peterson is said to have Utah first on his list of preferred destinations, a source said Sunday.

Peterson would fill the Jazz's needs for a three-point shooter and perimeter defender, though he also would add to the team's congestion of players at the shooting guard and small forward positions.

Peterson, who turns 30 on Aug. 26, played seven seasons with the Raptors and was a full-time starter until this season. He would come to the Jazz with the intention of starting at shooting guard, a job held by four different players this season.

In addition to the Jazz, Peterson received interest from Miami, New Orleans, Golden State, Sacramento and Cleveland at the start of the negotiating period.

The Jazz also called to express interest in New Jersey center Mikki Moore, who played for Utah in the 2003-04 season, as well as Dallas forward Devean George, Miami forward James Posey and Nets guard Eddie House, according to agent Mark Bartelstein.

Peterson, meanwhile, is said to "love" the prospect of playing for the Jazz, a team he considers to be "a piece away from being in the NBA Finals next year," the source said.

The Jazz are looking to add a veteran like Peterson to their young team that reached the Western

Conference finals, leading to a situation that the source, who is close to the player, called "a perfect fit."

The 6-foot-7, 220-pound Peterson is a shooter first and foremost, taking some 57 percent of his shots this season from the three-point arc. He averaged 8.9 points and 3.3 rebounds while shooting 35.9 percent from three-point range.

It was a season in which Peterson lost his starting job and saw the end of his league-leading consecutive games streak at 371. Peterson played in every game from February 2002 to November 2006 before an elbow injury sidelined him.

This season, Peterson watched as Anthony Parker, Fred Jones and Joey Graham all started ahead of him, though the Raptors did turn to Peterson for his defense against longtime teammate Vince Carter in the playoffs against New Jersey.

Peterson is only a year removed from the best season of his career, when he started 77 games, averaged 16.8 points and 4.6 rebounds, and shot 39.5 percent from three-point range. He is a career 37.1 percent three-point shooter.

The Jazz did not make a contract offer to Peterson when they made contact immediately after the negotiating period opened at 10:01 p.m. Saturday.

Peterson made $4.5 million last season and likely wants a deal for either all or part of the $5.5 million midlevel exception. Teams can begin signing free agents July 11.

Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, declined to comment on Peterson or any specific players.

"[Saturday] night and [Sunday], it was a feeling-out process,'' O'Connor said, adding, "We're kind of going along at our own pace and whatever the pace dictates."

The Jazz ranked 29th in three-point shooting (33.5 percent) this season and were scorched for 50-point games by the likes of Michael Redd, Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen and Gilbert Arenas. Peterson would bring the combination of both shooting and defense.

What the Jazz would do with six shooting guard-types on the roster, though, remains to be seen. They auditioned C.J. Miles, Ronnie Brewer, Gordan Giricek and Derek Fisher at the position and finished the season with Fisher starting. The Jazz drafted another shooting guard in Morris Almond and want the 20-year-old Miles, a restricted free agent, to return.

The Jazz like that Brewer and Almond have the size to play at small forward, which Peterson also could do at times. Fisher can play both point guard and shooting guard, and Giricek could be a trade candidate with his $4 million expiring contract.

* 6-foot-7, 220 pounds
* Guard-Forward
* Born: Aug. 26, 1977
* Played on 2000 NCAA championship team at Michigan State.
* NBA-leading consecutive games streak (371) ended this past season.
* A career 37.1 percent three-point shooter and 12.0 ppg scorer.
* Has hit seven three-pointers in game three times in career.

The Jazz are trying to woo veteran Morris Peterson, and the former Toronto guard reportedly shares their enthusiasm
The veteran guard, who has played the last seven seasons for the Toronto Raptors, reportedly wants to play in Utah

I smell sign and trade here....

Sacramento also is known to be actively shopping most of its players in potential trades, and Moore's signing could be a prelude to a deal.
Man, I really hope Petrie has something up his sleeve. Because I don't understand this one at all. Please, please, let this move be because of a trade that's coming soon.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Man, I really hope Petrie has something up his sleeve. Because I don't understand this one at all. Please, please, let this move be because of a trade that's coming soon.

It has to be. With the current depth at the 4/5 it is not feasable to sign anther MLE to what would at this time be the 9th or 10th man off the bench

You know, at this point I simply cannot work up any kind of real anger, frustration, etc. about this move. I guess I've just become numb.

Aside from his age, I've got no real problem with Moore. As long as I'm not paying his salary, that is...

But I can't work up any kind of enthusiasm for this move, either.

...sigh...

Hey, did everybody check the thread about Slamson? HIS championship win is at least worth smiling about.

;)
at this point, I really hope that the NBA gives us a free arena, because there's no way in HELL anyone's gonna want to invest their money in THIS team...for a LONG time...man, I'd like to see our poll of existing season ticket holders and their want to re-up for another season after this one...the nausia from mediocrity will be too much to take for most this next year.

My thoughts exactly, I am disappointed with the direction this team appears to be headed. We can only hope that this is part of a bigger scheme, but given the past few years our hope is not very well grounded.
I don't see how it makes sense even if we ship off all of Miller, SAR, and Thomas. If we're just looking for a big body to throw out there then why not get someone who will expire in two years at the latest? Why sign another mid level deal and to a 32 year old player no less?

Here's a thought, if Geoff hasn't lost his mind:
This guy is supposed to be great as a locker room presence. Corliss was great, but we didn't need that many 6'7" guys. This works out quite nicely if we're wanting someone to mentor Hawes and Williams, and we quickly part with our other veteran bigs.

But that would make total sense, so I don't dare expect it.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I have to say that the ONLY way this move makes sense is if it is part of a series of moves that rid the Kings of some of their over paid underperfoming bigs by prviding vet tallent at bargin basement prices... If not there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with GP!

Here's a thought, if Geoff hasn't lost his mind:
This guy is supposed to be great as a locker room presence. Corliss was great, but we didn't need that many 6'7" guys. This works out quite nicely if we're wanting someone to mentor Hawes and Williams, and we quickly part with our other veteran bigs.

But that would make total sense, so I don't dare expect it.
Spending the MLE on a locker room presence? I hope not. What can Moore teach Hawes or Jwill exactly? He doesn't rebound or defend well and he has no post game. He lives off his jump shot and put backs.

Entity

Hall of Famer
One thing about it. Had we not spent the MLE none of us would have said anything about it. So adding a player can't make us worse. Alot of ppl are talking about the cap 2 or 3 years from now. We have no idea what is going to happen between now and then. So let the knee jerking stop for a second and think of it as an addition to our frontcourt instead of a something negative toward the cap 2 or 3 years from now because it is so not because of Moore its KT, Miller, SAR, Salmons

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I really don't have a problem with Moore...If he can channel what he did against us into a nightly thing he instantly becomes one of our top frontcourt players.

And he is also defaultly our best power forward now.

And he's fun to watch.

It's not like we're gonna win anytime soon, so we may as well have some entertaining athletes playing whilst we lose...Right?

So... Miller and/or Thomas-Reef are gone, and Mikki Moore turns into the veteran backup-quarterback type to Hawes... you know... he'll start until Hawes is ready, then he'll be on the bench in a backup role later in the season.

This had BETTER be what's going on around here. The Kings have the biggest group of mediocre post players on one team that I've ever seen.

Brick hit it on the head with his Salt Lake tribune article. This is just one piece of the puzzle to add the Jazz in on the deal to get somebody, whether its Yi or Gooden, I dont know. Relax guys....give Petrie time.

at this point, I really hope that the NBA gives us a free arena, because there's no way in HELL anyone's gonna want to invest their money in THIS team...for a LONG time...man, I'd like to see our poll of existing season ticket holders and their want to re-up for another season after this one...the nausia from mediocrity will be too much to take for most this next year.
If they offered my money back right now, I would take them up on it. In a heartbeat. I think they fraudulently represented that they would improve the team, and it is just deteriorating before our eyes. I may even try to figure out a way to have my tix "revoked" if something positive does not break soon.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If they offered my money back right now, I would take them up on it. In a heartbeat. I think they fraudulently represented that they would improve the team, and it is just deteriorating before our eyes. I may even try to figure out a way to have my tix "revoked" if something positive does not break soon.
technically we are better with Moore than we are without him.

One thing about it. Had we not spent the MLE none of us would have said anything about it. So adding a player can't make us worse. Alot of ppl are talking about the cap 2 or 3 years from now. We have no idea what is going to happen between now and then. So let the knee jerking stop for a second and think of it as an addition to our frontcourt instead of a something negative toward the cap 2 or 3 years from now because it is so not because of Moore its KT, Miller, SAR, Salmons
OK then, have it your way. How does Moore improve our frontcourt? He's not much of a defender and he's not much of a rebounder, he's a jump shooting big. We already have that!! Please explain to me what this does for winning now or rebuilding?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He's 7 feet tall. I think this may represent a record for the number of players in a Kings uniform who are 7 feet tall or better at the same time.