Kings Select in the 2008 NBA DRAFT??

You got it backwards dude, nbadraft.net is know for poor rankings. DX is much better at doing their homework on players.

Seemed like the last 3 or so years I had been following nbadraft that they were pretty close on all the top 20 picks. There was a bit of a jumbled mess from 10-20, but pretty much all the players that were listed were drafted in the top 20.

Draftexpress was pretty spot on for 2007 though. Both are good sites, I just prefer nbadraft. the only thing I would change with nbadraft is their writeup. Sometimes they lack writing something up for a year or two on each player.

Something both sites kind of suck at are position needs for each team. They never consider which team needs what, and put whoever they want.

I feel the Kings fans are better at writing up a mock draft for our own team than either..

Seemed like the last 3 or so years I had been following nbadraft that they were pretty close on all the top 20 picks. There was a bit of a jumbled mess from 10-20, but pretty much all the players that were listed were drafted in the top 20.

Draftexpress was pretty spot on for 2007 though. Both are good sites, I just prefer nbadraft. the only thing I would change with nbadraft is their writeup. Sometimes they lack writing something up for a year or two on each player.

Something both sites kind of suck at are position needs for each team. They never consider which team needs what, and put whoever they want.

I feel the Kings fans are better at writing up a mock draft for our own team than either..
Neither site does team needs, I don't think, until the draft order is set. I guess it just takes a lot more work to consider team needs when the order is changing every day.

As for accuracy, DX is much better, I've found. Nbadraft.net updates a lot more often, however, so I tend to frequent there more.

Very often I've seen guys they projected at 20 and later go into the 2nd round, dx is more spot on; at least from my experience and a lot of people I talk to tend to agree with me.

As far as the team needs go, I know DX doesn't take team needs into acount until the draft is nearing (after lottery); right now they just rank from best to worst; don't know if nbadraft.net works the same, but they probably do.

I think i wouldnt mind a kevin love and patrick mills combo? thoughts? maybe we get lucky and joey dorsey also

kevin love, joey dorsey and patrick mills.....wow!

Last edited:
if we draft at 12?? we have no need for a rebounder,passer, hustle player, who is avg PPG 17.3,RPG 11.0, APG 1.8 ???? and he is 15-20lbs overweight??? no one on sac avgs 10 boards. i think brad is around 9.8.

wow....if we would be lucky if a player like him falls to 12. plus besides rose and bayless....i really like patrick mills hes a sleeeeeeeppppperr pg.

Good college player for sure, not denying that, but he is an ok starter at best. Crappy D, poor athleticism, and he's just 6-9. He can overpower college centers, but he won't be able to match up against nba 4's.

i think the kid is special, remember brad was overweight....everyone said he sucks/old. the the lost 20lbs and he is wayyyyy more athletic! i think at 12. i really would have to think about it. he is listed at 260lbs...i think its closer to 275. look at big baby....

i think the kid is special, remember brad was overweight....everyone said he sucks/old. the the lost 20lbs and he is wayyyyy more athletic! i think at 12. i really would have to think about it. he is listed at 260lbs...i think its closer to 275. look at big baby....
Losing weight isn't going to significantly affect his athleticism. He lacks length, jumping ability, lateral quickness; we don't need a defensive black hole next to Hawes. He's just redundant next to Hawes and doesn't make up for any of his weaknesses.

I'd rather not look at Glen Davis.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually I like Love quite a bit. What he lacks in athleticism he more than makes up with determination and IQ. Lopez is my first choice, but he's played his way right out of our reach. Until we know for sure who declares and who doesn't, all our ideas are moot.
As for DX or NBA draft net, I lean toward DX. As the draft nears you'll see players like Thompson slide up the board and others slide down the board. They have a very good scouting crew.

DeVon Hardin, who I was high on early in the year has played his way off my wish list. For a senior, he still has very raw parts to his game, which scares me. I would take his teammate Anderson before him.

So do you want to draft Tyler H as well. I love the guy as a UNC fan but I doubt he will be that good in the pros. Love is good but I wouldnt' want to take a chance on a player like him being dominant in the pros, cause most in his body type usually don't succeed.

I think the Kings could definitely take one of the young PGs in the draft seeing that the class this year is pretty talented at that. I think SG is set and I think Garcia could eventually play the 3. Other than 1 an athletic 4/5 would be ideal for this team. Those who fit the bill are Beasley (we'd need a miracle to get #1), Jordan (I haven't been too impressed with him), Thabeet (impressive but plays the 5), Arthur (probally available). As long as we don't draft another skinny 2/3 I'll be happy.

I was honestly not too thrilled with Hawes last year and he hasn't really done much although msot of the bigs taken in the draft sans Horford have not been that great including Haws, Noah, Jianlian (coming along), Oden (hurt), etc.

Gee, Hawes is only 19. I didn't expect him to contribute a lot right away.
Me neither. He wasn't my ideal choice, I was a little annoyed over it at the time. But, I have to admit, he's grown on me. He's showing some potential in the time he's got and he seems to work real hard. I really like him. But he's going to need a big strong body up there with him in the future (like Darrell Arthur).

Re: Hawes

Hopefully that big strong body can be...Hawes. He looks to me like he can pack quite a bit on and at 19... I guess time will tell.
True, but my point is he'll never be a star. Arthur is very athletic and has that potential. He may even drop to 10-12, right where we'll likely be picking. I think we'd be crazy to pass on him. He has potential to be a good defender, too, which was my main point. I guess I should have said "Big defender" instead of "big body". Hawes can and will get stronger, he's still very young.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So do you want to draft Tyler H as well. I love the guy as a UNC fan but I doubt he will be that good in the pros. Love is good but I wouldnt' want to take a chance on a player like him being dominant in the pros, cause most in his body type usually don't succeed.

I think the Kings could definitely take one of the young PGs in the draft seeing that the class this year is pretty talented at that. I think SG is set and I think Garcia could eventually play the 3. Other than 1 an athletic 4/5 would be ideal for this team. Those who fit the bill are Beasley (we'd need a miracle to get #1), Jordan (I haven't been too impressed with him), Thabeet (impressive but plays the 5), Arthur (probally available). As long as we don't draft another skinny 2/3 I'll be happy.

I was honestly not too thrilled with Hawes last year and he hasn't really done much although msot of the bigs taken in the draft sans Horford have not been that great including Haws, Noah, Jianlian (coming along), Oden (hurt), etc.
Actually, I'm not that big a fan of Tyler H either. Most of the big's I like will probably be gone before we pick. I'm not opposed to picking a Pt guard, but not if there's a player thats better available. For instance I would take Batum or Budinger if they were sitting there. Yes I know, we don't need anymore three's, but I would rather have a really good three that we don't need than an average pt guard at a position of need.

As far as Hawe's goes, I saw him play a lot last year, and unlike you I was very impressed. For a kid who was 18 yr's old and was nursing an injury most of the year he played very well. He schooled the Lopez twins in his game against Stanford. People keep calling him soft, but I'm telling you, this kid has attitude. Give him a couple of years and 25 more pounds of muscle and we'll talk about him again.

I think kings should draft Jason Thompson and Patrick Mills.

Thompson with great size at 6'11" 250lbs and Patrick Mills at 6'0" pg.

i will be more than happy with a spencer hawes jason thompson combo

and Beno, Patrick

I dont think collison or lawson are a good fit for the kings, and we should go big guy with out 10-15 pick. and look for a guard with our 2nd's. maybe sean singletary but if mills comes out i think a great pick if still there.

Patty Mills is the Man

I am glad you noticed Patrick Mills. Talk about a great story at my alma mater. I don't think that there are many D1 players of aboriginal descent. He is so smooth out there on the court and really gets the Gaels galloping. If you have not watched him yet, tune in.

However, I do not think that he is coming out this year. He is still pretty skinny and has a lot to learn. He has all the skills, but needs to learn how to take over a game on a consistent basis. He could use another year in college. Also, the team at St Marys has top 15 potential if he stays next year.

I hope we don't get any worse than 12th pick. Obviously, I hope we get a higher pick, but I think at this stage it's more likely we get the 13th/14th pick than the 10th/11th. :(
Hopefully, someone like Arthur or Thabeet will be there when we're up, that would be a very good big man to get at that spot. Thabeet is showing real potential this year, and I think Arthur has the tools to be a great PF. I'd rather Arthur. If all good bigs are gone (I don't want Hibbert, Lopez etc.), we should take Collison or Augustin. We need a PG for the future.

Like last year, it's very possible the drop off in talent will come just as we are up to pick. :mad:

A good friend of mine, works for rivals.com thinks mills will come out. i guess we will soon see. if he does i hope we snag him with one of our picks.

Jason Thompson I am sold on this kid! alot stronger rebounder than Darrell Arthur

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thompson is not my first choice, but as I said before, my first choice's will be long gone before we pick. So, although some might think its a reach, I would take Thompson with our pick. To be honest, I've only seen him play once, but it was obvious to me that he's fundamentaly sound and has a pretty good upside. He has good size for the position and seems to rise to the occasion.
I think that Mills would be a good second round choice. He's a good part of why St. Marys is where they are. I agree that staying in school would be the smart thing for him, but if he's there when we pick, I think we have to consider him.
I've watched Arthur play several times and for some reason I can't sell myself on him. Certainly has talent. I'm still in a wait and see with him.
I like Love, but I'm not certain how his game will translate to the NBA. He's one of those guys that you look at, and how he looks doesn't translate to how he plays. If you pass on him and he becomes a star, all the clues were there that he would be a star,and you just chose to egnore them because of how he looked, or ran the floor. Lets face it, no one knew how good Boozer was going to be.

Last edited:
Jason Thompson I am sold on this kid! alot stronger rebounder than Darrell Arthur

Taking Thompson over Arthur would be a big mistake. We need upside, not a solid player. We need that guy who can be a superstar, I don't think Thompson has that potential. Taking him at 12 would be a big reach. Arthur has the tools to be great and he's a few years younger. He has tremendous upside.

I don't think we'll be in this position come June. Arthur will likely be gone by our pick. Thompson is sort of a safe pick, so I could see Geoff taking him.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Well, time for me to start amusing myself looking into 2008 1st-round draft predictions at the end of February. Scanning this thread shows how some guys loved in Oct-Nov have fallen from grace and others have arisen from nowhere.

I looked at 11 different 2008 NBA Draft prognosticators who collectively have the Kings getting any one of the following in the 1st round (I added some + and - comments to some):

Nicolas Batum 6-7 185 SF France A KMart clone??

O.J. Mayo 6-4 210 SG USC Needs another year at USC

Chase Budinger 6-7 SG Arizona +perimeter,athletic,world class vollyball player - poor ball handler,no mid-range,lateral quick
DeAndre Jordan 7-0 C Texas A&M + 7-0, agile, strong, young Dwight Howard - very right handed, poor footwork
D.J. Augustin 5-11 180 PG Texas

Darrell Arthur 6-9 215 SF/PF Kansas So.,

Danilo Gallinari 6-9 SF Italy

Kevin Love 6-9 260 PF UCLA Fr,

So at this arbitrary time in the NBA season, no one seems to have a clue who or what the Kings will draft. Personally I don't think OJ Mayo is ready yet for a top 10 pick and think he could fall to 15-20 but if he stays another year could be a top 5 pick. Have seen Kevin Love play a number of times and appears NBA ready, more so than Hawes was but.......? hmm Anyway, I don't believe anything I hear at this point and only 1/2 of what I see....

True, but my point is he'll never be a star. Arthur is very athletic and has that potential. He may even drop to 10-12, right where we'll likely be picking. I think we'd be crazy to pass on him. He has potential to be a good defender, too, which was my main point. I guess I should have said "Big defender" instead of "big body". Hawes can and will get stronger, he's still very young.
When I think Arthur I think Thomas from LAC. Thomas never averaged more than a few boards in college too.. Sure enough it translated to the NBA at only a "few boards per game". I am not an Arthur fan for that reason.

Taking Thompson over Arthur would be a big mistake. We need upside, not a solid player. We need that guy who can be a superstar, I don't think Thompson has that potential. Taking him at 12 would be a big reach. Arthur has the tools to be great and he's a few years younger. He has tremendous upside.
That's what they said about Brandon Roy. Point is, that Thompson has all-around skill and size, something the Kings NEED at PF.

That's what they said about Brandon Roy. Point is, that Thompson has all-around skill and size, something the Kings NEED at PF.

The Kings won't and shouldn't draft based on needs. That's not relevant in our situation. We are building towards the future, not trying to solidify an 8th seed for now. The only positions we should be hesitant to draft is SG and C, because we have those positions filled, although if we get one we can't pass on we should take them.

We don't need anything right now. What we need are players with potential to be a cornerstone of our franchise. Arthur has that potential, Thompson doesn't (IMO). Not to mention Thompson is a senior and doesn't have an awful lot of upside.

I hate this "needs" theory. It makes absolutely zero sense to a rebuilding team unless some spots are already filled. Right now, our "needs" are PG, SF, and PF.

When I think Arthur I think Thomas from LAC. Thomas never averaged more than a few boards in college too.. Sure enough it translated to the NBA at only a "few boards per game". I am not an Arthur fan for that reason.
That's fair enough, no player is sure fire. I just think Arthur has the tools to be a great player. Sure, he'll take time, but I think he'll be worth it. I don't think he'll last to our pick, anyway.

Nicolas Batum 6-7 185 SF France A KMart clone??
Batum and Martin are not good comparisons at all, Martin is really a scorer and that's it. Batum is alot like Rudy Gay, he's a great athlete, great leadership skills, good shooter, great length, great defender, generally just has the potential to be a great player.

Knock is that he's skinny, but he should be able to put on weight. If we got him at 12 I'd be very happy. I think it's possible we get an even lower pick than 12, possibly 14, we seem to be striving towards being the most mediocre team in the league year in, year out.