Kings pull offer to Iguodala (split)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how offering a 4/56M contract is a good thing, shows our FO means business and that we're a destination.

And that pulling that same offer hours later also is a good thing and makes our FO look good and that we're a destination.

You can't say both are good, it's a near contradiction. And saying we don't care how Iggy takes this is besides the point. What other FA's will be jumping at the opportunity to have their contract offer pulled out from underneath them faster than what any FO has done that I'm aware of? You can't just go around insulting FA's and then saying, well, no big deal, we'll just go after the next. There's a reason national writers are shocked we pulled that offer so quickly. That's not lost on other FA's.

But we'll see, I'm happy with this outcome but worried about the message it might send.

I think it's entirely possible we made Iggy the offer in good faith with best intentions, found out Iggy was only using them as leverage for other teams (PDA has Denver and agent sources) so this could actually be true ...

Only scenario where the kings come out of this not looking like amatuers.

as MassKingsfan posted, the offer from the Kings was apparently lower than what was reported. Then Iggy's agent leaked a higher offer apparently trying to leverage us to get a bigger offer from Denver or another team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
its not always about money for people... im sure theres alot of stuff too consider and weigh before deciding where your going too live/play for the next 4 years. They should of gave him more time. I would be super pissed if i was iggy. weasle move...
Yeah, he could have had over $50+ million to use to find a place to live, etc. Lots of players don't get the luxury of inflated free agency. They get traded from team to team and accept their role. AI had another agenda or he would have taken the offer.

I don't see how offering a 4/56M contract is a good thing, shows our FO means business and that we're a destination.

And that pulling that same offer hours later also is a good thing and makes our FO look good and that we're a destination.

You can't say both are good, it's a near contradiction. And saying we don't care how Iggy takes this is besides the point. What other FA's will be jumping at the opportunity to have their contract offer pulled out from underneath them faster than what any FO has done that I'm aware of? You can't just go around insulting FA's and then saying, well, no big deal, we'll just go after the next. There's a reason national writers are shocked we pulled that offer so quickly. That's not lost on other FA's.

But we'll see, I'm happy with this outcome but worried about the message it might send.
Im pretty sure you could find a way to nitpick Jesus Christ himself.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So weird

Only two days in, and I'm already annoyed. Just makes us look ... idk lol but hopefully this means Reke is agreeing to be here

Maybe we're revising our offer to iggy? Sorry I know I'm late. Haven't read the rest of this thread
At least go back and read the last hour or so of posts. And our offer to Iggy is dead. It will not be revived.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

In bargaining, perception is often reality. I have no idea if it will work or not, but if you are a weak bargainer, somebody people don't take seriously and who they think is desperate, and then YOU make a point of getting up and walking away from the table the first time...it goes to psychology. You project that you think highly of yourself, all of a sudden other people aren't sure, maybe there is something going on? The realities of your situation haven't changed at all, but the perception of it has and they treat you with more respect/uncertainty when you come back to the table.

Its like the supposed psychology of a nerdy guy rejecting a hot girl. Why'd he reject her? That's crazy. Does he think he can do better? What if can do better? But I'm better! I'll show him! Etc./whatever. (have my doubts it actually works that way, but so I'm told).

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Taking the offer you get and discussing with other teams is a part of free agency. It's exactly what Tyreke has been doing. Honestly, not the standard I would want to set but we will see.
There is a difference between shopping your talent, and using an offer for leverage. When Dalembert pulled that crap we were all pissed at him, why? because he had no intention of playing here, he just needed us to get his price up. Iggy's agent inflated the numbers, and was going back to Denver with them. I have no idea if PDA told Iggy he needed an answer today or not, (I suspect he did) but I do know the next pencil-neck agent and player that sit across the table from him WILL believe him when he says "I need to know today"

BTW Reek is a restricted FA, he and his agent are doing what they are supposed to do... find the best offer and see if the Kings will match... very different than negotiation an unrestricted contract.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
So weird

Only two days in, and I'm already annoyed. Just makes us look ... idk lol but hopefully this means Reke is agreeing to be here

Maybe we're revising our offer to iggy? Sorry I know I'm late. Haven't read the rest of this thread
Perhaps if Iggy and his agent send flowers and pick up tab at lunch PDA will offer 4/50 ;)

Yeah, he could have had over $50+ million to use to find a place to live, etc. Lots of players don't get the luxury of inflated free agency. They get traded from team to team and accept their role. AI had another agenda or he would have taken the offer.
i guess........ but hows tyreke going too feel about this now.. knowing he was 2nd fiddle too iggy... ?

There is a difference between shopping your talent, and using an offer for leverage. When Dalembert pulled that crap we were all pissed at him, why? because he had no intention of playing here, he just needed us to get his price up. Iggy's agent inflated the numbers, and was going back to Denver with them. I have no idea if PDA told Iggy he needed an answer today or not, (I suspect he did) but I do know the next pencil-neck agent and player that sit across the table from him WILL believe him when he says "I need to know today"

BTW Reek is a restricted FA, he and his agent are doing what they are supposed to do... find the best offer and see if the Kings will match... very different than negotiation an unrestricted contract.
If Andre's agent was going around inflating the number trying to raise the price, then the situation is very different. Didn't see that in Amick's original article. Are we spectulating or has this been reported?

Kinda glad we pulled. I think if we signed Iggy, it would have been too unrealistic to move all the contracts necessary to sign Evans as well, and i have always wanted Evans over Iggy.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
In bargaining, perception is often reality. I have no idea if it will work or not, but if you are a weak bargainer, somebody people don't take seriously and who they think is desperate, and then YOU make a point of getting up and walking away from the table the first time...it goes to psychology. You project that you think highly of yourself, all of a sudden other people aren't sure, maybe there is something going on? The realities of your situation haven't changed at all, but the perception of it has and they treat you with more respect/uncertainty when you come back to the table.

Its like the supposed psychology of a nerdy guy rejecting a hot girl. Why'd he reject her? That's crazy. Does he think he can do better? What if can do better? But I'm better! I'll show him! Etc./whatever. (have my doubts it actually works that way, but so I'm told).
I get that, but it could also be a risk letting everyone know right off the bat you're not confident in yourself and feel the need to make a statement like that to garner respect. It says you're unsure of yourself. Perception as always is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe some around the league end up impressed, that we're tough negotiators, but others might not have that same perception and might give potential FA's/agents reason to pause before considering doing business with us.

If it does come out Iggy was using us for leverage than it won't be nearly as questionable a move.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If Andre's agent was going around inflating the number trying to raise the price, then the situation is very different. Didn't see that in Amick's original article. Are we spectulating or has this been reported?
I trust Amick on this, in part because it makes sense and in part because he hits way more than he misses. But if a player gets an offer several million above consensus value they usually jump on it and if they don't they are probably working it.

Edit: I think I read it in the "story" by Amick linked from his twitter.

Last edited:
In his story, i read 4/52 mill.
Yes, that part is not in question. Amick said we pulled the offer because Andre did not make his decision in time. Haven't seen anything regarding his agent inflating the number to other teams so he could raise the price yet. Are we filling in the blanks or has that been reported?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i guess........ but hows tyreke going too feel about this now.. knowing he was 2nd fiddle too iggy... ?
Don't know where you get that idea. I understand that it's been a very long time since the Kings were truly active in the free agent market, but the whole thing is structured to benefit the players. They knew that when they signed the new CBA. If Reke stays where he wants to be and gets a decent contract, why would he feel as though he was second fiddle to anyone?

This is like Pop cutting Stephen days before the playoffs. Haha. I was in the drive through reading about the Iggy offer and then get the news they pulled the offer.

I'm with the FO on this. Sometimes you have to show people you're the boss. Hopefully it continues once the season starts and our coaches actually have authority. That has been one of the biggest failures of the past few years.

I like Iggy but not for us this year.

Last edited:
Matt Steinmetz @MSteinmetzCSN now
Iggy clearly has lost step ... Failed to realize Ranadive made his money in real time.

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2XxW99Ij0

Sean Cunningham @News10Sean 1 minute ago
If offer was pulled, gotta' admit, that's a pretty slick negotiation tactic by Vivek, D'Alessandro & Kings Co. Precedent set. #NBAKings

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2XxWDMR15

Jason Jones @mr_jasonjones 2 minutes ago
It is a new day when 28-win teams give free agents ultimatums 8 days before signing day

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2XxWIF9wP
Jason jones is so shady. Jesus

Ur the beat Writer for the Kings (unfortunately) so freakin act like it. What an ***

I would rather pay $14 million for Iggy in his prime, than $12 million for Tyreke who i still an enigma going into his 5th NBA season. Plus these are 4 year deals, not the ridiculous 7 guys like Kenny Thomas used to get. At worst Iggy is valuable expiring contract on the 4th season.
Evans is nowhere near his prime, and only seen as an "Enigma" because of the idiots we had running the
show

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, that part is not in question. Amick said we pulled the offer because Andre did not make his decision in time. Haven't seen anything regarding his agent inflating the number to other teams so he could raise the price yet. Are we filling in the blanks or has that been reported?
Go to USAToday and read Amick's article. He does mention the discrepancy in numbers but doesn't come right out and say the agent inflated them. If you know Amick's style, you can read between the lines.

Don't know where you get that idea. I understand that it's been a very long time since the Kings were truly active in the free agent market, but the whole thing is structured to benefit the players. They knew that when they signed the new CBA. If Reke stays where he wants to be and gets a decent contract, why would he feel as though he was second fiddle to anyone?
i dunno,its 3 am here in canada and im tired n confused by all this madness tonight lol... i just hope Reke still wants too be in sactown after knowing that we wanted Iggy instead of him.

jason jones is a schmuck, who cares about him?

anyway, I'm glad we didn't paralyze ourselves with a crippling Iggy contract even though I wanted him. But, also happy that our FO isn't playing games and isn't going to be walked on.

Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever heard of a FO offering a deal than pulling that offer 2-3 hours later?

I mean, I'm happy it was pulled, but I don't think that attitude, there's a new sheriff in town, we're not going to beg and we'll give you 2-3 hours to decide or we'll retract offers does much good with prospective FA's. Do you think this makes other FA's look at our FO favorably?
Where are you getting 2 - 3 hours from?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i dunno,its 3 am here in canada and im tired n confused by all this madness tonight lol... i just hope Reke still wants too be in sactown after knowing that we wanted Iggy instead of him.
You need to get some sleep. You're jumping to too many conclusions. :)

I really don't understand this. No one but the involved parties know what went on in the meeting, not Amick, nor Jason "shady" Jones, nor any "twitter reporters". All they did were reporting what they were told happened.

Maybe they specified in the meeting that the deal has a duration and Iggy agreed to make a decision before then. For whatever reasons, he didn't, we pulled the offer. (And that was just that, a speculation)

It's just funny to see some of you on the forum jumped on the "I don't like this organization's way of handling things" immediately without anything but only the events happened on the surface. Truly TDOS style.

Status
Not open for further replies.