Kings possible draft picks game

If the Kings draft Wiggins does he play the 2 and send McLemore to the bench or does he play the 3 and challenge Rudy and possibly save the Kings a ton of money?
It would be great, if a team can ease the early pressure on him like Indiana did with PG. You know, that rookie scale contracts are only 4-year long, right? When Wiggins becomes as good as Rudy, he will probably be paid as much as Rudy's next contract ($12-14 million).

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If the Kings draft Marcus Smart or Aaron Gordon I'll be sad that they didn't trade the pick. I'd much rather deal for a veteran or trade down and nab any number of guys I like better.

For that matter I'd prefer the Kings staying put and taking Ennis, WCS, Zach LaVine, or possibly Gary Harris over drafting either Smart or Gordon. I flat out don't like Smart's game and I'm surprised at how many excuses are given for his poor play due to "intangibles" or his size at the PG spot. I like Gordon but he's a bit of a tweener and not a good fit next to Cousins. His bounce gets him some Blake Griffin comparisons but his frame is a lot more slight and I can't see him banging with NBA PFs.
We are in agreement! I want no part of Smart, and won't go into all the reasons why again. I do like Ennis and predict he'll end up being a much better PG than Smart, who I don't think is really a PG. At least not the type of PG that we need, or that I like. LaVine is a long way from being NBA ready, but if your willing to wait for a couple of years he would be a good gamble. Just not sure the majority of the fans are willing to be patient. I'd have no problem with drafting Cauley-Stein. He'll never be a star, but he could be what the doctor ordered to put next to Cousins. I'm a big Gary Harris fan, and until we depleted ourselves of SG's, I really hadn't given him much thought or consideration. But he's probably more ready overall to play in the NBA than McLemore is right now. Harris has a little PG in his blood as well. He has good court vision and is a good passer. I could see him bringing the ball up if needed. He's also a good defender. The only knock on him is that he's a little undersized.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It would be great, if a team can ease the early pressure on him like Indiana did with PG. You know, that rookie scale contracts are only 4-year long, right? When Wiggins becomes as good as Rudy, he will probably be paid as much as Rudy's next contract ($12-14 million).
LOL, good point! Of course, we don't know where we'll be with the salary cap at that point. And, wouldn't it be nice to have another Rudy Gay, maybe a better version of Gay, waiting in the wings. One thing about Wiggins is his defensive potential. He's already a good defender at the college level, and he can defend three positions. He, along with Embiid, may have the most potential to be a great two way player in this draft.

LOL, good point! Of course, we don't know where we'll be with the salary cap at that point. And, wouldn't it be nice to have another Rudy Gay, maybe a better version of Gay, waiting in the wings. One thing about Wiggins is his defensive potential. He's already a good defender at the college level, and he can defend three positions. He, along with Embiid, may have the most potential to be a great two way player in this draft.
What do you think about Wiggins playing SG? Think he has potential there? Just watching him play defense, he has more than enough athleticism to guard the position at a high level. Offensively, it might actually help his game open up as well having a size advantage.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I think Wiggins is off the boards unless a miracle happens (I am praying). I think he goes #1 and latest #2. I see Embiid dropping to #3 and Parker obviously at #2. I think #5 will be Exum and #6/7 will be Randle/Vonleh depending on what the team needs. Then the level drops dramatically after that. If we can get a top 7 draft pick, I'd be more than happy. I think currently we hold the 7th worst record in the NBA?

This one is a game. The other one is serious business.
I thought we were discussing game as serious business?:p

Embiid, Wiggins and Exum all look like franchise players, if their skill level goes sky high. Not a given, or even 50/50 bet at this point, but you get the idea, top-3 is still pretty open. Plus you have Parker being hyped up as 'smart Melo'...someone desperate is bound to believe that.
If Wiggins shows some quick crossovers, or Exum/Parker drop 95% from 3 for particular team, they would be instant favorite for that pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What do you think about Wiggins playing SG? Think he has potential there? Just watching him play defense, he has more than enough athleticism to guard the position at a high level. Offensively, it might actually help his game open up as well having a size advantage.
He has the quickness and athleticism to play the SG position, but he really needs to improve his ballhandling to play there. And of course his outside shot has to improve. But I can see him playing some SG on the offensive side down the road. He can guard the position right now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think Wiggins is off the boards unless a miracle happens (I am praying). I think he goes #1 and latest #2. I see Embiid dropping to #3 and Parker obviously at #2. I think #5 will be Exum and #6/7 will be Randle/Vonleh depending on what the team needs. Then the level drops dramatically after that. If we can get a top 7 draft pick, I'd be more than happy. I think currently we hold the 7th worst record in the NBA?
There's only one way that Embiid drops to number three, and that's if his back becomes an issue. He'll have a complete checkup at the combine, and if he gets a clean bill of health, then I predict he'll go number one, Parker number two and Wiggins number three. By the way, you left out number four, which is where I have Exum.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Don't know about you guys, but I'm planning on winning the lottery. Or at least jump into the top three. I'd be happy as a clam to be in the top three anywhere. However, I should point out that I've never won a damm thing in my life that had to do with luck.:eek:

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Don't know about you guys, but I'm planning on winning the lottery. Or at least jump into the top three. I'd be happy as a clam to be in the top three anywhere. However, I should point out that I've never won a damm thing in my life that had to do with luck.:eek:
Top 3 would be a miracle. If we could land Wiggins...man I'd be happiest man alive.
Wiggins/Cousins/Ben Mac is the future. :D
Just need a ball handler in there somewhere LOL

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So if the Kings are fortunate to draft Embiid, how many wins do the Kings have with the team as it is?
Same for Wiggins.
Same for Parker.
Same for Exum.

If they are difference makers, how much difference would they make?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Kings are only a couple of games from the bottom. Normally I am against tanking, but the draft is too stacked this year not to get good positioning
Full blown tank to get in the bottom three seem to be a wise course of action if the future of this team is of large concern. I think I heard that IT stubbed his toe and will be out for awhile. At the least, IT should be tired.

Full blown tank to get in the bottom three seem to be a wise course of action if the future of this team is of large concern. I think I heard that IT stubbed his toe and will be out for awhile. At the least, IT should be tired.
I don't think, other 7 teams are inclined to go on a winning spree, even if they could. Bucks, Sixers and Magic are out of reach 100%. Pistons have only 5 home games out of 16 left, so with 5 more losses than Atlanta, I'm sure POs are gone for them and they will "fight" for higher pick as well. Lakers, Utah and Celtics get occasional win, but it's not out of question they go winless the rest of the way (well, Celtics have two games vs Sixers, and those are two automatic wins, while Lakers will visit Milwuakee, which looks a very likely win as well, but that's it). At this point I would expect Kings to finish 7th.

We won't catch Milwaukee, Philly, or Orlando. Our best bet would be to only win 3 more games and be 5th worst with LA being worse than us also. This can net us Vonleh if we stay at 5 or drop to 7 and best case is moving up one (if we don't win the lottery) and ensure our self with the left over between Exum/Embiid.

haha, that's a good one. Or maybe Gay and Cousins continue to have injuries. We've got to get good positioning at this point.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The worse we do, the better our odds are to get into the top three. I think we are 7th at this point but could get to 4th. It's all a game of odds and not certainty. This idea that we should play our young players is great. It also seems to be a good idea to have IT in the game in the crucial last few minutes if the goal is to lose..

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Sigh... Kings keep winning. I truly hope we get a top 3 pick or else this is next season will be another disappointing season.
Not wishing to start a fight but I disagree wholeheartedly. I would love a top three pick so do not misunderstand me. But, we have two great basketball players on our team that are our anchor. Some would argue that we have three. As phoney as I think this 20-20-20 goal is as I don't think having three guys who can score that much guarantees us a great team because of fit but still, when is the last time we have had so much offense packed into three bodies? Never, of course. It has never happened in the NBA. That is worth something.

There are only so many stars that a team needs before you surround them with the appropriate role players. There are only so many stars a team can afford, also. Right now, we have the long shot chance of a top three pick at best and a #10 pick which is also a long shot if not a longer shot than getting a top three. Let us say that most likely (Capt. Factorial can jump in) it is reasonably likely that we will pick 7-9 at worst.

If this team walked away with Rudy, Cuz, IT (groan) and Vonleh under contract, I would be whistling a happy tune. Vonleh is not the only person who could help this team a great bit but I have not studied who might be available at the position we might draft. There is no Lebron or MJ but it is a DEEP draft. There are very good players to be had far deeper than we have seen in a long time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not wishing to start a fight but I disagree wholeheartedly. I would love a top three pick so do not misunderstand me. But, we have two great basketball players on our team that are our anchor. Some would argue that we have three. As phoney as I think this 20-20-20 goal is as I don't think having three guys who can score that much guarantees us a great team because of fit but still, when is the last time we have had so much offense packed into three bodies? Never, of course. It has never happened in the NBA. That is worth something.

There are only so many stars that a team needs before you surround them with the appropriate role players. There are only so many stars a team can afford, also. Right now, we have the long shot chance of a top three pick at best and a #10 pick which is also a long shot if not a longer shot than getting a top three. Let us say that most likely (Capt. Factorial can jump in) it is reasonably likely that we will pick 7-9 at worst.

If this team walked away with Rudy, Cuz, IT (groan) and Vonleh under contract, I would be whistling a happy tune. Vonleh is not the only person who could help this team a great bit but I have not studied who might be available at the position we might draft. There is no Lebron or MJ but it is a DEEP draft. There are very good players to be had far deeper than we have seen in a long time.
First, let me say that its a bit early to say that there's no Lebron or MJ in this draft. Most likely not, but, you never know. That is a pretty high standard, and I seldom think in those terms. I think more about whether there are any stars, or possible superstars in the draft. And once again, no one knows. With every win, our chances of a top three pick diminish. There's always the lottery of course, and anything can happen there, but I wouldn't put all my marbles in that basket. Right now we sit in the 7th spot, but were just one win away from the 8th spot, and two wins away from the 9th spot, and three wins away from the 10th spot, in which we could end up in a tie for and have to flip a coin. Truth is, if we keep winning, we could actually win our way out of a pick all together. Highly doubtful, but still possible.

Also, my prognostication doesn't take into account what those other teams above us will do. Every win they have, helps us. If I were to guess, I'd bet we end up either 7th or 8th. Not ideal, but not terrible. If that comes to pass, Vonleh will be long gone. We have to remember, that we don't know for sure who is going to declare. For instance, if Parker and Embiid both decide to stay another year, Vonleh now becomes a top four pick. If everyone declares, then I don't see him going past the sixth pick.

Now before we get all depressed, remember, a lot of stars have come from picks taken after the lottery picks. Paul George was the 17th pick in the first round. Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick, Roy Hibbert the 17th pick, and Eric Bledsoe the 18th pick. To cheer you up even more, there are stars that have been taken in the 2nd round. Marc Gasol was the 18th pick in the 2nd round. Chandler Parsons was the 8th pick in the 2nd round, Lance Stephenson the 10th pick. Other's taken in the 2nd round include DeAndre Jordan, Omer Asik, and Goran Dragic.

I could go on and bore with more, but I think you get my point. It comes down to whether the scouting dept and GM do their job or not. Of course this year we don't have a 2nd round pick, unless we make a draft day deal to get one. I'm still going to hope for a high pick, but I'm not going to be depressed if we don't get one. There's a lot of talent in this draft, and its a fairly deep draft. Hopefully PDA is on top of things.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
First, let me say that its a bit early to say that there's no Lebron or MJ in this draft. Most likely not, but, you never know. That is a pretty high standard, and I seldom think in those terms. I think more about whether there are any stars, or possible superstars in the draft. And once again, no one knows. With every win, our chances of a top three pick diminish. There's always the lottery of course, and anything can happen there, but I wouldn't put all my marbles in that basket. Right now we sit in the 7th spot, but were just one win away from the 8th spot, and two wins away from the 9th spot, and three wins away from the 10th spot, in which we could end up in a tie for and have to flip a coin. Truth is, if we keep winning, we could actually win our way out of a pick all together. Highly doubtful, but still possible.

Also, my prognostication doesn't take into account what those other teams above us will do. Every win they have, helps us. If I were to guess, I'd bet we end up either 7th or 8th. Not ideal, but not terrible. If that comes to pass, Vonleh will be long gone. We have to remember, that we don't know for sure who is going to declare. For instance, if Parker and Embiid both decide to stay another year, Vonleh now becomes a top four pick. If everyone declares, then I don't see him going past the sixth pick.

Now before we get all depressed, remember, a lot of stars have come from picks taken after the lottery picks. Paul George was the 17th pick in the first round. Jimmy Butler was the 30th pick, Roy Hibbert the 17th pick, and Eric Bledsoe the 18th pick. To cheer you up even more, there are stars that have been taken in the 2nd round. Marc Gasol was the 18th pick in the 2nd round. Chandler Parsons was the 8th pick in the 2nd round, Lance Stephenson the 10th pick. Other's taken in the 2nd round include DeAndre Jordan, Omer Asik, and Goran Dragic.

I could go on and bore with more, but I think you get my point. It comes down to whether the scouting dept and GM do their job or not. Of course this year we don't have a 2nd round pick, unless we make a draft day deal to get one. I'm still going to hope for a high pick, but I'm not going to be depressed if we don't get one. There's a lot of talent in this draft, and its a fairly deep draft. Hopefully PDA is on top of things.
I think the biggest key is whether our FO has done its homework and not where we end up. Unfortunately I do not have complete faith in the FO given the choice of Ben, the signing of Landry, etc. so the worse we do as to record, I am hoping the less likely we will screw up. In that way of thinking, I am with Dreadnought.

Perhaps Ben will turn into the 2nd coming of Ray Allen but I am dealing with the Ben we have now and not my wishful thinking.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the biggest key is whether our FO has done its homework and not where we end up. Unfortunately I do not have complete faith in the FO given the choice of Ben, the signing of Landry, etc. so the worse we do as to record, I am hoping the less likely we will screw up. In that way of thinking, I am with Dreadnought.

Perhaps Ben will turn into the 2nd coming of Ray Allen but I am dealing with the Ben we have now and not my wishful thinking.
I have no problem with our choice of McLemore. He's exactly what I thought he would be this season. I certainly hoped for better, but logic told me otherwise. As a result, I'm not as down on him as many others are. I've watched too many young players over the years struggle their first year in the league. When you add in, that McLemore came to the game of basketball later than most, and therefore lacked some of the refined skills he needed, his results this season aren't a surprise. I think he's going to be just fine. Things will start to slow down for him, and then he'll slow down as well. When that happens, his shot will start dropping more consistently. I thought his defense has looked much better of late. He's getting his body right up on who he's defending instead of playing off so far. He's still making a mistake now and then, but last night, he gave Beal fits. Progress is progress. It would help if we had a PG that could get him a few easy baskets now and then.

I agree with you on the Landry deal. Didn't get it then, and I don't get it now. I realize that they never had a chance to really use him in what ever way they had intended, but I just didn't see the need at the time. As far as faith in the front office, I'm in a wait and see mode. Way to early to pass judgement. To be fair, none of them had much time to prepare for the draft or freeagency. They had to rely on Petrie and his scouting dept for most of their info, and who knows how much money the Maloof's spent on scouting that last year. They didn't know the team very well, but they had to make quick decisions on players. No such excuses this off season. We'll have a much better idea of how competent they are by the start of next season.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have no problem with our choice of McLemore. He's exactly what I thought he would be this season. I certainly hoped for better, but logic told me otherwise. As a result, I'm not as down on him as many others are. I've watched too many young players over the years struggle their first year in the league. When you add in, that McLemore came to the game of basketball later than most, and therefore lacked some of the refined skills he needed, his results this season aren't a surprise. I think he's going to be just fine. Things will start to slow down for him, and then he'll slow down as well. When that happens, his shot will start dropping more consistently. I thought his defense has looked much better of late. He's getting his body right up on who he's defending instead of playing off so far. He's still making a mistake now and then, but last night, he gave Beal fits. Progress is progress. It would help if we had a PG that could get him a few easy baskets now and then.

I agree with you on the Landry deal. Didn't get it then, and I don't get it now. I realize that they never had a chance to really use him in what ever way they had intended, but I just didn't see the need at the time. As far as faith in the front office, I'm in a wait and see mode. Way to early to pass judgement. To be fair, none of them had much time to prepare for the draft or freeagency. They had to rely on Petrie and his scouting dept for most of their info, and who knows how much money the Maloof's spent on scouting that last year. They didn't know the team very well, but they had to make quick decisions on players. No such excuses this off season. We'll have a much better idea of how competent they are by the start of next season.
I know I may appear to be flip flopping but as no issue is really black and white, I am trying to flesh out the shadows found in the grey areas.

I think Ben's shot will begin to fall. I am not on the side of the Ben issue that is negative except for how he plays now. Certainly he has a ways to go and I think he will get there. Unfortunately that is not now. We'll see how he evolves but I think Kings fans as a group are tired of FO incompetency and have lost faith without realizing there has been a change. Ben's play this year has not helped. The present FO is living in the shadow of Jimmer and TRob. It is difficult for any fan to shift gears and begin to have faith.

Now to address the one change that gives me hope going forward. Vivek seems to have hired Chris Mullin to be his right hand man. Mullin has been scouting and my guess is that Chris does a little bit of this and that to try to keep the ship righted at the behest of Vivek. Perhaps I am reading too much into the optics but it is Chris that sits at the right hand of Vivek at Kings games and not PDA. I suspect Chris acts as the chief of staff much as one operates in politics. I think Chris has power and that is a good thing. Vivek is doing what he says he always does and that is he surrounds himself with bright people.

These are the same people who drafted IT. That was a major success whether he fits on the team or not.

In the end, there is always a screw up factor where skilled players fall or unskilled players are drafted high bumping the skilled player down closer to us. I am not worried about the draft. All our chatter will not change that.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Realistically, we will finish 7th.

Chances of a top 3 pick are slim.

So, if Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum are off the table.
Who do we pick?
I doubt Vonleh falls at #7 for us. For some reason, I feel like if he did by some chance, we'd pick someone else LOL

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Realistically, we will finish 7th.

Chances of a top 3 pick are slim.

So, if Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and Exum are off the table.
Who do we pick?
I doubt Vonleh falls at #7 for us. For some reason, I feel like if he did by some chance, we'd pick someone else LOL
Vonleh isn't going to fall to 7th. If were choosing 7th or later, we have to look at the draft in a different way. I'm not saying we don't take the best player available, but we might readjust our definition of what the term best player means. The team needs to improve defensively. Which means that maybe we sacrifice a little on the offensive side and take a player that excels or at least shows promise on the defensive side. Example: Aaron Gordon is a real work in progress on the offensive side of the ball. He's a terrible freethrow shooter, which doesn't bode well for him improving his jumpshot. However, he's a freak athlete, and a terrific defender who can almost defend 4 positions. He's a player that will probably be available when we pick. So do you take him for his defense, and hope that you'll be able to nurse him along on the offensive side.

Another thought is that PDA is rumored to have said that he lusts after Klay Thompson. Well there's a player in the draft that closely resembles Thompson. Nik Stauskas. Tall SG that's a terrific shooter. He's a little better passer than Thompson at the same stage of his career. Stauskas has shown some promise on the defensive side, so he might be OK in a team defense concept. Another way we might go, is to reach and take someone like Adrien Payne. He's been a good defender at Michigan St. and he's someone that can certainly stretch the floor with his outside shooting. He's a tough kid that's not afraid to bang. One last thought, is maybe we take Gary Harris. I know, we already have McLemore. But after McLemore, who is our backup SG? Harris is a very good shooter. Not as good as Stauskas, but only a notch below, and he's a very good defender and a good passer. He's also, like Stauskas, Gordon, and Payne, a very unselfish, team oriented player. Something the Kings need desparately.

The tournament is turning out the way I thought it would. Only a couple of teams I would put my money on. Florida and maybe Wisconsin. It's been a strange year because a lot of teams are very evenly matched all the way down to the mid-level conferences. A lot of the so called top teams are loaded with one and done players, which is a recipe for disaster. That's why teams like Wisconsin and Iowa St., along with Florida, which have a lot of juniors and seniors are likely to win the championship. Of course you have to have talent as well, and those teams do. Another key to picking the winner, is to look at the guard play. If the team has an unselfish PG, its going to go farther in the tournament. An example is Indiana. They have talent on that team, including Vonleh, but the team has a point guard, Yogi Ferrell, who thinks he's the next coming of Allen Iverson. he dominates the ball and takes more shots, sometimes almost more shots than the entire starting lineup. Not unusual for the final numbers to read that Ferrell has taken 15 shots, and Vonleh has taken 5 shots. You'll notice that Indiana isn't in the tounament.

By the way, my final four are Florida, Wisconsin, Virginia and Duke. I wouldn't put any money on those four. I have Florida and Duke in the championship game and Florida the winner.

Duke is done. If you go way back in one of these threads I suggested that Jabari Parker might stay in school another year to play with his buddy Jahlil Okafor. Given this loss, I wonder if he does just that.

P.S. Sorry about your bracket, baja ;)

Duke is done. If you go way back in one of these threads I suggested that Jabari Parker might stay in school another year to play with his buddy Jahlil Okafor. Given this loss, I wonder if he does just that.

P.S. Sorry about your bracket, baja ;)
To leave Millions on the table is a risky proposal no matter who you are. I suspect this was his last day playing for Duke.