KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh I hate myself for saying this but I feel like I'm starting to move from the Murray crowd to the Ivey crowd (from a BPA perspective). I hate it because...
  • I'm not a big fan of the fit with Fox
  • We have Fox, Mitchell, DiVincenzo, Davis, & Holiday who can all play PG/SG already
  • We really need to address our defense and not a big fan of Ivey on that side of the court
But his scoring, shooting, ability to get to the FT line, ball handling, playmaking, size, length, athleticism, & improvement from year 1 to year 2 are enticing. Even his ability to block shots at his position/size is interesting. I think Donovan Mitchell is an interesting comparison for him and I do see a path for him to become that type of player.

When assessing Murray, there's a handful of items that are starting to concern me when I think about his star potential:
  1. Is he athletic enough to beat his man off the dribble?
  2. Is he long enough to shoot over the top of his man (only a 6'11" wingspan while standing 6'8")? He didn't measure at the combine either which makes me wonder if he knew his measurements may be a detriment to his draft position.
  3. Is his ball handling advanced enough to create his own shot?
  4. Is his passing advanced enough to punish defenses when they rotate to help?

When I think back to Haliburton, he definitely had #4 and somewhat of #3. However, Murray is lacking in all of these areas which makes me question his top end potential.

Coming back to Ivey though, I have a hard time believing McNair would draft Ivey without a deal being made before the offseason. If the Kings don't make the playoffs this year, I'd be shocked if Vivek keeps him. Does McNair have the luxury of drafting a player who might not be as impactful this year due to the fit? I don't think he does.

So if Murray feels like a reach at #4 due to his top end potential and drafting Ivey at #4 (without another trade lined up) feels like it could lead to McNair's firing, what is McNair to do? He's either hoping...
  1. One of the top 3 PFs drops to him at #4
  2. He can trade back and acquire a veteran in the meantime
  3. He can trade out of the draft completely for a big name veteran

I don't really envy McNair's position right now.

Trey Lyles was better as a King by himself than Bagley was in DET. Wasn't all that close tbh. And DDV isn't going anywhere with his RFA rights and Monte's 2-year love affair with him.
The Kings are still searching for a PF and wing defenders. So whatever those 2 are bringing, it aint enough and hasn't equated to more wins.

So... if Wizards still high on Ivey
But need cap space to try and resign Beal
Porzingis, deni, #10, 2025 1st unprot for Barnes and Holmes, #4

We get a unicorn at 4, Deni at 3, SG at 2 using #10, plus future 1st ?

Wizards save 9mil cap space to help Resign Beal, Ivey for back court, Barnes and Holmes

if Zinger stays healthy?

I defended MBIII when he was here and think the Kings organisation and coach could have done a better job with him but he didn't exactly make it easy for anyone. He was self obsessed, hurt more often than not, and unable to win minutes ahead of Holmes, a valuable but limited hustle big. He might do well in Detroit but I don't care anymore. Let's move on (by trading Ivey for Daniels and Duarte!)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So... if Wizards still high on Ivey
But need cap space to try and resign Beal
Porzingis, deni, #10, 2025 1st unprot for Barnes and Holmes, #4

We get a unicorn at 4, Deni at 3, SG at 2 using #10, plus future 1st ?

Wizards save 9mil cap space to help Resign Beal, Ivey for back court, Barnes and Holmes

if Zinger stays healthy?
That's a big swing...but is Porzingis EVER healthy? Could work, could backfire hard.

I feel like a 20 point game followed by 0 is what I call bad development, and I'm blaming kings 80% for that. Should have thrown him in the fire! And let him have no excuses on why he couldn't succeed. After all we did draft him ahead of luka, why baby him? All he asked was for more PT. Holmes is a poor man's Harrell. Good spark but should never have been are starting center. He's a feel good story

Ugh I hate myself for saying this but I feel like I'm starting to move from the Murray crowd to the Ivey crowd (from a BPA perspective). I hate it because...
  • I'm not a big fan of the fit with Fox
  • We have Fox, Mitchell, DiVincenzo, Davis, & Holiday who can all play PG/SG already
  • We really need to address our defense and not a big fan of Ivey on that side of the court
But his scoring, shooting, ability to get to the FT line, ball handling, playmaking, size, length, athleticism, & improvement from year 1 to year 2 are enticing. Even his ability to block shots at his position/size is interesting. I think Donovan Mitchell is an interesting comparison for him and I do see a path for him to become that type of player.

When assessing Murray, there's a handful of items that are starting to concern me when I think about his star potential:
  1. Is he athletic enough to beat his man off the dribble?
  2. Is he long enough to shoot over the top of his man (only a 6'11" wingspan while standing 6'8")? He didn't measure at the combine either which makes me wonder if he knew his measurements may be a detriment to his draft position.
  3. Is his ball handling advanced enough to create his own shot?
  4. Is his passing advanced enough to punish defenses when they rotate to help?

When I think back to Haliburton, he definitely had #4 and somewhat of #3. However, Murray is lacking in all of these areas which makes me question his top end potential.

Coming back to Ivey though, I have a hard time believing McNair would draft Ivey without a deal being made before the offseason. If the Kings don't make the playoffs this year, I'd be shocked if Vivek keeps him. Does McNair have the luxury of drafting a player who might not be as impactful this year due to the fit? I don't think he does.

So if Murray feels like a reach at #4 due to his top end potential and drafting Ivey at #4 (without another trade lined up) feels like it could lead to McNair's firing, what is McNair to do? He's either hoping...
  1. One of the top 3 PFs drops to him at #4
  2. He can trade back and acquire a veteran in the meantime
  3. He can trade out of the draft completely for a big name veteran

I don't really envy McNair's position right now.
You can join me on the "neither" train if you want.

I think Ivey has the second-most bust potential in the lottery and has been deified as a can't miss prospect while at the same time thinking Keegan Murray is all kinds of boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.