KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He shot 35.8% from 3 better than all but DDV, Barnes and Lyles on the Kings and better than Simons and Hart on Portland. Not sure what your point is here.
He's best at PF and yes, he's not bad at all, and he just raked in a questionable 1st rounder kicked down the line. That is the point. The contenders are putting 3 and D role guys at PF right now and winning.

This simply isn't true and I haven't seen a single source to the contrary. He went for dinner with Vlade pre-draft, this is not something he would do if he was wasn't willing to play here.

Luka was not threatening to stay in Madrid if we drafted him, this is revisionism.
There's been a lot of that with Luka. Like it was clearly him at 1. It wasn't. There were questions about his fitness and his game transferring over to the NBA. Anyone can see now if you can run pick and roll and multiply that with usage you're going to put up numbers these days.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Some people have convinced themselves that Bagley wasn't drafted based on perceived fit with Fox. I've seen it on various forums - fans saying that Bagley was the pick because Vlade thought he was better than Doncic (which he may or may not have thought). But it's very clear he was drafted largely based on fit with Fox; not wanting to take the ball out of his hands, and wanting an athletic front court pairing for him. Fit should not come into it when picking this high as a bottom dweller team.

I'm not saying Ivey is the BPA (although that is in fact my opinion if he's there at 4). I'm saying do NOT draft based on fit. I'll probably be good with whoever Monte takes because he's shown in the two previous drafts he goes with his opinion of BPA, which is the right philosophy.
Vlade came out and said that he was #1 on their board - the "fit" part was to explain away the fact that Luka was head and shoulders better from day one and everyone could see it. At least 40 games into the season the Kings had a better record than the Mavs and looked like they might have something. So I think it was a CYA statement. They went athleticism and perceived upside over what was already there.

If the Kings had made the playoffs the next 3 seasons it would still be a bitter pill but one I think many could have swallowed. As it turns out Doncic pretty much one-manned the Mavs to the WCF and we are picking 4th in utter fear of repeating the past mistake.

People not understanding that Bagley made trading grant easy. Detroit is in love with Bagley and he light weight killed it over there. He's going to easily take grants production. Now they can take ivey or Murray and be happy. This trade cleared the way foe there future and did nothing to help our draft leverage. Weakened it actually

Vlade came out and said that he was #1 on their board - the "fit" part was to explain away the fact that Luka was head and shoulders better from day one and everyone could see it. At least 40 games into the season the Kings had a better record than the Mavs and looked like they might have something. So I think it was a CYA statement. They went athleticism and perceived upside over what was already there.

If the Kings had made the playoffs the next 3 seasons it would still be a bitter pill but one I think many could have swallowed. As it turns out Doncic pretty much one-manned the Mavs to the WCF and we are picking 4th in utter fear of repeating the past mistake.
When you really look at Vlade, his trade downs were actually pretty decent value wise. The clear problem all along was his scouting. He saw Bagley as the next Giannis with no concrete evidence of him having those type of playmaking skills, although he's shown flashes. In the end he was what anyone should have seen the whole time, a 20 and 10 tweener with enough minutes that needs to play center in the modern game.

People not understanding that Bagley made trading grant easy. Detroit is in love with Bagley and he light weight killed it over there. He's going to easily take grants production. Now they can take ivey or Murray and be happy. This trade cleared the way foe there future and did nothing to help our draft leverage. Weakened it actually
LMAO Bagley didn't kill it in Detroit. He put up the same numbers he did here per minute. He still has time to figure it out but let's not make stuff up.

I hate Bagley now btw. I feel like a betrayed step father who raised that bastard only for him to say your not my father!
Haha. You best realize that the Kings were the issue in the end. They have consistently allowed bottom feeder coaches to destroy whatever value their young players or production players have. Hell, look what Walton did to De'Aaron. All the "He just sucks now". Just like Dedmon just sucks now. George Hill just sucks now. Nope, there is one consistent player in all of this and it's the KANGZ. As soon and Fox got his spot back, dude puts up near 30 a game. In the end it worked because it at least maxed out Hali's value.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
When you really look at Vlade, his trade downs were actually pretty decent value wise. The clear problem all along was his scouting. He saw Bagley as the next Giannis with no concrete evidence of him having those type of playmaking skills, although he's shown flashes. In the end he was what anyone should have seen the whole time, a 20 and 10 tweener with enough minutes that needs to play center in the modern game.
He f'd up that trade down 3 times if you asked me, because Mitchell was there at 10, but still ok you get two cracks at 15 (John Collins 19) and 20 (OG at 23).

Jesus it hurts.

LMAO Bagley didn't kill it in Detroit. He put up the same numbers he did here per minute. He still has time to figure it out but let's not make stuff up.
Naw sir for all intended purposes he killed it. Shot over 55% and got better every game. All he ever needed anyways was minutes and not be injured, he accomplished both. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a 20 and 10

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Naw sir for all intended purposes he killed it. Shot over 55% and got better every game. All he ever needed anyways was minutes and not be injured, he accomplished both. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a 20 and 10
he was always going to be a 20 and 10 guy if he stayed healthy. call me when he plays good defense.

14 and 7 isn't bad from a guy getting slightly more than 20 minutes a game. But more importantly, Bagley's presence on the court opened up the offense for Cade.

Detroit uses Bagley the way Vlade envisioned Fox and Bagley being used. Instead, that role went to Holmes.

Defense lol he was never suppost to be a defensive ancor. Any player than can get 20 and 10 should have a spot on the Kings. I'm sorry we just can't afford to trade that talent for nothing. WE ruined that. Sure he was a big baby but common
Especially when their attempts to fill the center spot with decent role players totally backfired. They ended up with Holmes, who very well could be difficult to move for any value at this point. As a starter he's good value, as a 14 mpg backup. OH BOY. If he's willing to accept the role and does what he can do and the Kings win, he's still a positive but on a premium. Notice how Brown said he had met with Holmes and his agent. Hopefully he wasn't dishing out free agent Vlade level promises.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Defense lol he was never suppost to be a defensive ancor. Any player than can get 20 and 10 should have a spot on the Kings. I'm sorry we just can't afford to trade that talent for nothing. WE ruined that. Sure he was a big baby but common
You are right, he was never projected to play any defense. That's why many of those who wanted to go big leaned JJJ. Most of the mocks said "this guy will put up 20/10 and never sniff the playoffs", which feels right to me.

he was always going to be a 20 and 10 guy if he stayed healthy. call me when he plays good defense.
I still believe he can be a good contributor to a winning team, if not a star. In the end, I think it quite likely that when we look back at this trade few years down the line, we feel that we got robbed. Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. Not wishing bad for Bagley. Just hoping that DDV can match him.

That said, the trade was likely still required. Bagley might achieve stardom, and at least be a good player, but I don't think it would have happened with us, not after all this time.

After the trade I would occasionally check out their game threads. The general consensus seemed to be they liked him coming off the bench, but when he was in a starting role towards the end of the season his offense wasn't enough to offset his poor team defense. Killing it he was not.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I liked when he followed up a big game and everyone was like “See lol Kings!” Then he went something like 2/0/0 then got hurt again.

Dude sucks.

I still believe he can be a good contributor to a winning team, if not a star. In the end, I think it quite likely that when we look back at this trade few years down the line, we feel that we got robbed. Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. Not wishing bad for Bagley. Just hoping that DDV can match him.

That said, the trade was likely still required. Bagley might achieve stardom, and at least be a good player, but I don't think it would have happened with us, not after all this time.
Even if Bagley isn't a star, in the end Detroit will have a solid player out of the trade, but Lyles, Holiday, Lamb and maybe even DDV will be gone.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

I was team Luka but I made peace with the Bagley decision early on. I stuck up for him right until his agent demanded the trade before opening night. Bagley was 4th on my big board that year (which admittedly did not include Trae). Under Joerger I liked what we saw.

Walton was supposed to be a players' coach and ease whatever foundational issues were arising between Bagley's camp and the franchise but only exacerbated them. Although I do believe that Bagley is soft and won't play through injuries that many of his peers will. That's his right, but it doesn't endear him to teammates, coaches and fans.

I was team Luka but I made peace with the Bagley decision early on. I stuck up for him right until his agent demanded the trade before opening night. Bagley was 4th on my big board that year (which admittedly did not include Trae). Under Joerger I liked what we saw.

Walton was supposed to be a players' coach and ease whatever foundational issues were arising between Bagley's camp and the franchise but only exacerbated them. Although I do believe that Bagley is soft and won't play through injuries that many of his peers will. That's his right, but it doesn't endear him to teammates, coaches and fans.
This bothered me as well. He needs to learn the difference between hurt and injury.

Even if Bagley isn't a star, in the end Detroit will have a solid player out of the trade, but Lyles, Holiday, Lamb and maybe even DDV will be gone.
Trey Lyles was better as a King by himself than Bagley was in DET. Wasn't all that close tbh. And DDV isn't going anywhere with his RFA rights and Monte's 2-year love affair with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.