KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m good if we come away with Ivey, Murray and even Mathurin.
I get the idea of what Ivey can be and that would not suck at all. Intriguing for sure
I also am of the opinion that Murray may be BPA after the first 3 go off the board AND a fit.
Mathurin….I mean,he looks like he would fit right in and be good

I just don’t buy into the handwringing over not getting him. Then again, I’m not so sure about Holmgren either. Mainly it’s the frame. It’s a grown man’s league, not college where he was able to hold his own when it got physical.

How on Earth are there still Kings fans wanting to draft for need/fit after 2018?
Some people have convinced themselves that Bagley wasn't drafted based on perceived fit with Fox. I've seen it on various forums - fans saying that Bagley was the pick because Vlade thought he was better than Doncic (which he may or may not have thought). But it's very clear he was drafted largely based on fit with Fox; not wanting to take the ball out of his hands, and wanting an athletic front court pairing for him. Fit should not come into it when picking this high as a bottom dweller team.

I'm not saying Ivey is the BPA (although that is in fact my opinion if he's there at 4). I'm saying do NOT draft based on fit. I'll probably be good with whoever Monte takes because he's shown in the two previous drafts he goes with his opinion of BPA, which is the right philosophy.

Well. Grant trade is going to make things very interesting. I don’t see a trade down with Detroit happening. Plus there are reports that they are in on Ivey, reports they are in on Murray, reports they are in on Mathurin.

The Grant trade takes Portland out of the Collins trade talk, right?

Some people have convinced themselves that Bagley wasn't drafted based on perceived fit with Fox. I've seen it on various forums - fans saying that Bagley was the pick because Vlade thought he was better than Doncic (which he may or may not have thought). But it's very clear he was drafted largely based on fit with Fox; not wanting to take the ball out of his hands, and wanting an athletic front court pairing for him. Fit should not come into it when picking this high as a bottom dweller team.

I'm not saying Ivey is the BPA (although that is in fact my opinion if he's there at 4). I'm saying do NOT draft based on fit. I'll probably be good with whoever Monte takes because he's shown in the two previous drafts he goes with his opinion of BPA, which is the right philosophy.
I largely agree with your assessment, but I also disagree when you say that fit should not come into play when having a high draft pick. At times, it could just very well pay off in the long run by going for fit as opposed to going with the best player available, depending on which type(s) of players the consensus top 5 consists of. If you have the number 1 overall pick, then I say go for BPA. Maybe also go for BPA with the 2nd pick. However, if someone else is a better fit on your roster than who the consensus BPA is for pick number 3, I wouldn't necessarily be against drafting for fit as opposed to drafting the BPA at that time.

Well. Grant trade is going to make things very interesting. I don’t see a trade down with Detroit happening. Plus there are reports that they are in on Ivey, reports they are in on Murray, reports they are in on Mathurin.

They took a TPE, if any sense is to be made, they are looking at overpaying in FA potentially. They should now have the most cap space I think.

And it literally just cratered Collins' value and probably Harrisons. Tough thing to be a PF these days.

Luca wasn’t drafted partly because he was threatening to stay at Real Madrid. Hate to say it but the endorsement potential at Sac and at Real are likely the same.

Detroit is trying to trade their #5 and Portland's #7 for the Kings #4 to draft Ivey! ;)
If they got 7 that would have been awesome and would have this board abuzz. They got a future pick with a future Giannis with the gamble that Giannis will hopefully pull a LeBron "I'm taking my talents to: fill in the blank" before that lol. The Thunder totally screwed up the market with their pick hoarding. It's like the new minimum wage.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another warning to potentially stay away from drafting a tweener stretch 4. The value set this last week is TERRIBLE. Murray is still 2 on my list regardless at this point but the value clearly isn't there with these types.
Yes and no. Everyone knew Detroit wasn't going to re-sign Grant. Getting a FRP (even if it's the Bucks and likely to be in the mid to late 20's as long as Giannis is there and healthy) isn't a bad return for a guy they were going to lose in free agency next summer if he wasn't moved.

Yep, I think so. It looks like Portland gave up a pretty lightly protected 2025 1st, which is a little crazy with how sketchy Dame could be by then. For an expiring Grant, not a bad haul.

Yes and no. Everyone knew Detroit wasn't going to re-sign Grant. Getting a FRP (even if it's the Bucks and likely to be in the mid to late 20's as long as Giannis is there and healthy) isn't a bad return for a guy they were going to lose in free agency next summer if he wasn't moved.
This is on top actual semi impact players like Green and Wood though.

The tweener is between 4 and 5 and is guys like Bagley who can’t shoot the 3. What makes you think Grant is a tweener,
He's more a production 4 than 3 at this point whereas a wing that can swing to 4 and plays like a 2 is where the value is at. I mean look at the list of players playing the 4 in the final 4 of the playoffs. All non production, 3 and D types. It's the PF spot that's pretty much RIP at this point.

Luca wasn’t drafted partly because he was threatening to stay at Real Madrid. Hate to say it but the endorsement potential at Sac and at Real are likely the same.
This simply isn't true and I haven't seen a single source to the contrary. He went for dinner with Vlade pre-draft, this is not something he would do if he was wasn't willing to play here.

Luka was not threatening to stay in Madrid if we drafted him, this is revisionism.

He's more a production 4 than 3 at this point whereas a wing that can swing to 4 and plays like a 2 is where the value is at. I mean look at the list of players playing the 4 in the final 4 of the playoffs. All non production, 3 and D types. It's the PF spot that's pretty much RIP at this point.
He shot 35.8% from 3 better than all but DDV, Barnes and Lyles on the Kings and better than Simons and Hart on Portland. Not sure what your point is here.

I've seen it on various forums - fans saying that Bagley was the pick because Vlade thought he was better than Doncic (which he may or may not have thought).
This came from Vlade himself, he said it in an interview right after the draft. Vlade was if nothing else a straight shooter and blunt to a fault.

Fit did factor into the decision but so did potential and athleticism, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.