KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 11098
A lot of people are gonna be mad if we draft murray without a trade down
If it isn't Ivey, then I am perfectly fine settling with Murray at 4; I don't think we need to trade down. Nor do I think we should trade down if Murray is our guy at the end of the day.

If we trade down, the return better be worth it. I don't think Monte is stupid enough to botch this draft for us. He's NOT Vlade.

View attachment 11098
A lot of people are gonna be mad if we draft murray without a trade down
People will be mad, but I could see a scenario where the only trade-back option to still land Murray is with Detroit. It seems like the perception that Ivey is clearly the no brainer choice at 4, is partly group think among commentators that has taken steam. Yes, a month ago Ivey was discussed as a very likely candidate for 4, along with Murray and Sharp. Now it's Ivey is the obvious choice. I'm not sure a whole lot has really changed between then and now other than a lot of mock drafts and tweets.

My first choice would be a trade back and still take Murray if that's their guy. However, it may not be possible since he'd likely be gone at 5 and even might be gone at 4 depending on who we make a trade with. Part of me feels like a trade back means Monte is ultimately targeting someone other than Murray.

Well all the suspense will be over tomorrow night.
i still think it’s one of the big 3 and Ivey. But I like the fact our new coach will have a input. and after the last two drafts they will take the best player available.
I’d rather Mike Brown not have much say. He was a factor in the Cavs drafting maybe the worst player to be taken number 1 overall ever in Anthony “bust” Bennett.

https://247sports.com/nba/cleveland...red-anthony-bennett-no-1-selection-109395463/

“So why did the Cavs draft Bennett? According to The Athletic's Jason Lloyd, since UNLV was recruiting his son Elijah, former Cavs coach Mike Brown pushed for the team to draft Bennett.”

“Brown was high on Bennett because UNLV was recruiting his son Elijah. Brown watched the Rebels play on several occasions and walked away impressed, believing Bennett could evolve into a small forward in the NBA. The pick, however, was a disaster.”

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’d rather Mike Brown’s not have much say. He was a factor in the Cavs drafting maybe the worst player to be taken number 1 overall ever in Anthony “bust” Bennett.

https://247sports.com/nba/cleveland...red-anthony-bennett-no-1-selection-109395463/

“So why did the Cavs draft Bennett? According to The Athletic's Jason Lloyd, since UNLV was recruiting his son Elijah, former Cavs coach Mike Brown pushed for the team to draft Bennett.”

“Brown was high on Bennett because UNLV was recruiting his son Elijah. Brown watched the Rebels play on several occasions and walked away impressed, believing Bennett could evolve into a small forward in the NBA. The pick, however, was a disaster.”
Lmao Anthony Bennett ever at small forward is an even more absurd claim than Bagels at small forward.

We were at 7, now we’re at 4…and it cost us nothing. Outside of a Maloof-esque self-sabotage, I can’t see myself being very disappointed with tomorrow’s outcome.

I feel like I’m missing out by not being convinced that drafting or not drafting [insert player] will be some franchise defining gaffe.

Better draft Ivey. I don’t know how many times it needs to be said, but if your team is garbage year in and year out you never draft for need.
you are assuming that Ivey is the best player which is debatable and not written in stone. Imo several factors go into a selection:

1) ceiling
2) best estimate on whether a player reaches that potential (how may steps do they have to take to reach it?)
3) impact on winning that archetype typically has (wing vs scoring guard vs center for example)
4) the ability to maximize that player’s potential
5) fit with direction franchise is going.

On the other hand, if you don't care whether you wind up with Ivey or Murray then trading down a spot and still getting one of them probably is worth it.
If we trade back to Detroit and still end up with Ivey and even a lotto protected future first or second rounder, the world will think Monte is a genius. If we end up with Murray, we still get the guy monte wants plus something, even if it’s not a haul. I really only want to trade down with Detroit to be honest.

I feel like I’m missing out by not being convinced that drafting or not drafting [insert player] will be some franchise defining gaffe.
I think there's just so much PTSD in the fanbase from the 2018 draft that many are fearful of a repeat failure and so are ascribing all kinds of ill-considered hype to a player who simply does not have the same kind of profile that Luka Doncic had when he came into the league. Will Ivey be good? Probably. Will he be a franchise-altering talent? I would hardly call that a safe bet, and it's why I'm in agreement that there aren't really any players in realistic range of the Kings' pick who represent franchise-defining gaffes should the Kings pass on them based on what we know about them today.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course. If Ivey eventually becomes a top-10 player in the NBA, then yeah, it obviously will have been a mistake to pass on him if the Kings elect not to draft him or decide to trade the rights to draft him to another team. But there is nothing in Ivey's profile to suggest he is going to achieve that level of success. He's not a "can't miss" prospect. There are enough flaws and holes in his game to be concerned about his ceiling. The Bagley selection alone should make Kings fans wary of falling in love with athleticism and "upside."

There is much to recommend about Jaden Ivey, of course. He's a very talented prospect. But in my estimation, the talk of other teams coveting Ivey has a bit less to do with Ivey's potential and more to do with the perceived availability of the 4th pick, since it's pretty rare for a top-5 selection to be gettable via trade on draft day. I'm assuming Monte has made it clear that he will only part with his first rounder for a Kings' ransom as a way of disabusing teams of the notion that the 4th is truly "up for grabs."

Monte may very well decide that Jaden Ivey is BPA, draft him, and go home with an asset that either Mike Brown believes can be successfully integrated into the team's long-term plans or that Monte believes he can flip for value later, a la the Haliburton trade. This is not my preference, as I've been on the Keegan Murray bandwagon for awhile now. But I accept it as the likeliest outcome, unless a team out there really does intend to meet Monte's demands in a trade for the 4th pick.

Offensively yes. He'd be dynamite with Fox/Sabonis as another PnR roll man threat and a legit good spacer from the 4. Multi-year impact stat stud across the board. Excellent rebounder. He's on the exact age timeline as Fox/Sabonis and he's locked up long-term. He's the kind of piece that I think would really help pitch to Sabonis that we're serious about contending in the next 5 years and convince him to resign.

On defense? Eh, we better hope Brown is a top 3 defensive coach because on paper, Collins/Sabonis could be extremely rough. Advanced defensive metrics actually don't hate what Collins did last year as an interior rim protector though, so maybe him being bad on D is more perception than reality. And both are such good defensive rebounders that if you found another real impact perimeter wing defender (GPII anyone?) to go along with DDV/Mitchell and buy-in from Fox... you could maybe find a way to be a top 20 defense.
That sounds right to me. I’d rather have the defense then shooting but I trust the FO on that

Who knows with all the buzz around Ivey maybe OKC grabs him and Chet falls into our lap giving us all that at once

I think there's just so much PTSD in the fanbase from the 2018 draft that many are fearful of a repeat failure and so are ascribing all kinds of ill-considered hype to a player who simply does not have the same kind of profile that Luka Doncic had when he came into the league. Will Ivey be good? Probably. Will he be a franchise-altering talent? I would hardly call that a safe bet, and it's why I'm in agreement that there aren't really any players in realistic range of the Kings' pick who represent franchise-defining gaffes should the Kings pass on them based on what we know about them today.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course. If Ivey eventually becomes a top-10 player in the NBA, then yeah, it obviously will have been a mistake to pass on him if the Kings elect not to draft him or decide to trade the rights to draft him to another team. But there is nothing in Ivey's profile to suggest he is going to achieve that level of success. He's not a "can't miss" prospect. There are enough flaws and holes in his game to be concerned about his ceiling. The Bagley selection alone should make Kings fans wary of falling in love with athleticism and "upside."

There is much to recommend about Jaden Ivey, of course. He's a very talented prospect. But in my estimation, the talk of other teams coveting Ivey has a bit less to do with Ivey's potential and more to do with the perceived availability of the 4th pick, since it's pretty rare for a top-5 selection to be gettable via trade on draft day. I'm assuming Monte has made it clear that he will only part with his first rounder for a Kings' ransom as a way of disabusing teams of the notion that the 4th is truly "up for grabs."

Monte may very well decide that Jaden Ivey is BPA, draft him, and go home with an asset that either Mike Brown believes can be successfully integrated into the team's long-term plans or that Monte believes he can flip for value later, a la the Haliburton trade. This is not my preference, as I've been on the Keegan Murray bandwagon for awhile now. But I accept it as the likeliest outcome, unless a team out there really does intend to meet Monte's demands in a trade for the 4th pick.
Totally agree with this take. Which is why I will be fine with whatever direction Monte elects to take tomorrow.

If he ends up keeping the pick, and drafting the BPA, I won't complain.
If he ends up trading down, acquiring multiple picks (or a pick + a veteran), I won't complain.

I won't even bring the "other option" into the conversation, because I truly believe that Monte will not take us in that direction. He seems to have a great handle on his team, his roster, and the direction in which he wants to go. He will not repeat Vlade's blunder(s) of the past.

Our shooting guard situation is as bad as it gets.
If McNair re-signs DiVincenzo, I think he's actually a pretty good fit.

What we've seen from Fox is that he operates best as the primary ballhandler and with a SG who can spread the floor, provide a bit of secondary playmaking, and ideally play pretty good defense. DDV does all of that without a high usage rate.

I’ve been trying to keep up with this thread, but not posting, because I see a repeating pattern that we always seem to fall into. Haven’t we learned our lesson? More than once?
The GM’s and the agents are playing with real money. They find it in their interests to create distractions, or to increase or decrease the perceived value of certain players. The media and the bloggers take the bait. Before long, the fans are up in arms because all these other teams want to draft player x. Why aren’t we drafting player x, they demand to know!
it just seems so predictable.
Seems like almost all kings fans want us to be good at defense. But then we threaten to fall on our swords if the team doesn’t pick player x - despite his only proven strength being on offense.
WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.