KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Collins be a good fit here? I really don’t see how he solves our problems but his name keeps coming up and we saw that materialize with this FO before in Sabonis and DDV. Trusting Amick and this FO’s limited history I’m almost thinking Collins coming here is one of the more likely outcomes of any speculative offseason transaction or pick
Offensively yes. He'd be dynamite with Fox/Sabonis as another PnR roll man threat and a legit good spacer from the 4. Multi-year impact stat stud across the board. Excellent rebounder. He's on the exact age timeline as Fox/Sabonis and he's locked up long-term. He's the kind of piece that I think would really help pitch to Sabonis that we're serious about contending in the next 5 years and convince him to resign.

On defense? Eh, we better hope Brown is a top 3 defensive coach because on paper, Collins/Sabonis could be extremely rough. Advanced defensive metrics actually don't hate what Collins did last year as an interior rim protector though, so maybe him being bad on D is more perception than reality. And both are such good defensive rebounders that if you found another real impact perimeter wing defender (GPII anyone?) to go along with DDV/Mitchell and buy-in from Fox... you could maybe find a way to be a top 20 defense.

Only in our small lineups. Lyles, Metu, even Harkless were the "4". It's somewhat interchangeable, I just think we've got a better rotation at the 2 spot than we do at the 4 spot, that I'd slightly prefer Murray over Mathurin or similar 2/3.
Which is in his best usage, and in the Kings most consistent net ratings groups for 3 years running now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Which is in his best usage, and in the Kings most consistent net ratings groups for 3 years running now.
Which would make the trade more of a straight 4 for 4 move and just in terms of pure 4 terms I think I'd prefer Collins as a player. That contract is a bit of a mood killer though.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Isn't that at least partially a function of those three really offering nothing on the offensive end? And if we wanted to go really small at times Murray could play small ball 5?

I think part of the reason I favor Murray is because whether it is "3" when Barnes is a "4" or "4" when Barnes is a "3", that's 99% of the time the weak spot on the court.

Which would make the trade more of a straight 4 for 4 move and just in terms of pure 4 terms I think I'd prefer Collins as a player. That contract is a bit of a mood killer though.
Yeah, on my end I like Barnes too much as a fit for the system with Sabonis and his expiring gives the Kings options. Monte better be careful with Barnes. Look at the 4's in the league right now that teams are coveting and they look a lot more like Harrison than Collins although Collins is athletic for sure and a lob threat.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Contract sucks but if that takes the place of our "big money signing next year" that's probably not too shabby. If we kept 4, we're probably shipping Barnes though?

Isn't that at least partially a function of those three really offering nothing on the offensive end? And if we wanted to go really small at times Murray could play small ball 5?

I think part of the reason I favor Murray is because whether it is "3" when Barnes is a "4" or "4" when Barnes is a "3", that's 99% of the time the weak spot on the court.
I don't know, and things are skewed because of the way the season ended with so many new faces, but both Metu and Lyles weren't that unproductive in the grand scheme. The one consistent pattern in the better net ratings I tracked the last few seasons was the fact that they played small with Harrison at the 4. That seemed to be the one difference in almost every lineup that had actual game minutes worth noting. My guess is the spacing and skills he provided as a 4 which opened up space for the Kings guards.

Yeah, I thought the general consensus for the White trade was that Boston had pulled a fast one on the Spurs.
Yeah, and then Boston learned shooting for the best of the mid rung available wasn't enough. Now they pay a premium for a decent role playing guard coming into a year where they won't be sneaking up on any teams late and who might not be injured at the most critical time of the year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah, and then Boston learned shooting for the best of the mid rung available wasn't enough. Now they pay a premium for a decent role playing guard coming into a year where they won't be sneaking up on any teams late and who might not be injured at the most critical time of the year.
I think Boston found out too late why White was the guard Pop decided to make available. Solid defender and general doesn't get in the way on offense but pretty much not much else to write home about. I guess that works for the regular season but they're currently stuck with two versions of Marcus Smart at the guard slot with no real way to upgrade.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That would be a great 2nd round. I'm all about it.
Roddey's an incredibly fun player to watch (skilled 6'6" guys built like dump trucks who can ball are entertaining) but I'm really not sure how well he'll translate to the NBA as a guy too short to be a forward but too chunky to be a true wing.

Roddey's an incredibly fun player to watch (skilled 6'6" guys built like dump trucks who can ball are entertaining) but I'm really not sure how well he'll translate to the NBA as a guy too short to be a forward but too chunky to be a true wing.
This is a time where players like that can shine. Grant Williams' rise alone could raise his value.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Moore at #37 is nutty. I'd love it, but can't see him falling down there. He should be off the board by the early 20s if even one GM around there is competent.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd take Caleb Houstan or Max Christie before him, let alone Trevor Keels, who I felt was the least draft worthy of the Duke crew this year (Sam has him going 35th to the Magic).

Kendall Brown is going one pick before us in this mock and I'd absolutely be ecstatic if he fell to us in this scenario

Get him with a nutritionist and a trainer to get him down to 220-225.

IMO,. Fox was a better prospect coming out his Freshman year than Ivey is coming out his Sophomore year.
I'm not the biggest Ivey fan, but I highly disagree. Ivey is stronger, bigger, more athletic, and can shoot the 3 ball. It's not even close to say that Ivey>>>Fox as a prospect. There's a reason why 5+ teams want to trade up for Ivey.

Status
Not open for further replies.