KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now watch Banchero go #1 to Orlando. Two days out and entire draft at this point one of the most unpredictable I've ever seen.
That's what happens when a team like the Kings with their history jump into what everyone considers the "window" of star talent. First they (GM's and their tools in the media) attempt to put out how unfortunate it is that the Kings got up to 4 and that they were better off in the back half and they might as well just stick with what they were left with if they had stayed there.

I don't care who drops, if it's Smith, Holmgren, or Banchero I'll be super happy. Not only do we have a chance to get a top talent but now our #4 becomes even more valuable if someone wants to take one of our "King's ransoms."
The only player I legitimately see dropping is Chet Holmgren, but even that has a slim % of happening. I think Houston is locked in on Banchero if he is still there, and I don't see Smith dropping out of the top 2. And all I've heard coming out of OKC is that they're targeting Chet if he's available. I kind of hope that someone comes along and tells them something about the kid that they don't want to hear, thus causing them to pass him up for some other guy projected to go later in the top 10. But, regardless of what happens in the top 3, we're still looking mighty fine sitting there at #4. Because we have many options. And I trust that Monte will pluck out the best of the bunch, and take this team forward a couple of steps.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd take Caleb Houstan or Max Christie before him, let alone Trevor Keels, who I felt was the least draft worthy of the Duke crew this year (Sam has him going 35th to the Magic).

Kendall Brown is going one pick before us in this mock and I'd absolutely be ecstatic if he fell to us in this scenario
It seems inevitable that there are going to be at least one or two very tempting first-round-worthy players at #37. The cupboard might be pretty bare by #49, but I think the odds of getting a contributor in the second round are actually decent this year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Now what happens if it goes:

ORL: Chet
OKC: Ivey
HOUSTON: still goes Paolo?

?
Is this even plausible?
I've thrown that out there a few days ago, and yes, I think it has a greater than zero chance of happening. Everything we've heard suggests that OKC prefers Chet or Ivey, we've not heard much buzz about Smith/Banchero there. Houston seems locked in on Banchero. So if Orlando takes Chet over Smith, that leaves a very real possibility that OKC will go Ivey, leaving us either Smith or Banchero.

Although, to be honest, if that does happen, it's probably more likely that OKC tries to hold us hostage for Jabari by taking him and then offering him to us for Ivey at #4 plus, likely, a future first. And we might go for that.

There's a pretty good chance if that happens that we take Ivey, and then start ALL the machinery into motion, trying to get the best option out of trading down and trading up all at the same time. It could be VERY busy behind the scenes for us if Chet goes #1.

But all of this uncertainty is why I would doubt any trade would be concluded before the draft is in motion. We will pick at #4 (whether Chet goes #1 or not), it will probably be Ivey at #4, and we may not have a deal worked out yet. Then a bunch of teams that will include us and might include OKC are going to play a big fat game of chicken. We'll find out who blinks first.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It seems inevitable that there are going to be at least one or two very tempting first-round-worthy players at #37. The cupboard might be pretty bare by #49, but I think the odds of getting a contributor in the second round are actually decent this year.
Yeah the 20-45ish range is all pretty similar in talent level and there’s definite room for each GM to have their own tastes come into play and create a cascading effect to drop certain guys way into the second round. I was even seeing Jovic in the second round in some mocks despite him being widely ranked as the top international prospect this season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I still think it’s going to hard to pull off a trade back unless we are comfortable with 2-3 guys. I wonder if Monte just takes Ivey and then tries to work a trade for Collins.
God I hope so. I’m ready to take one of my biannual extended breaks if this goes the way I’m expecting though…

I still think it’s going to hard to pull off a trade back unless we are comfortable with 2-3 guys. I wonder if Monte just takes Ivey and then tries to work a trade for Collins.
It's possible. Our offense would certainly be on the up and up but I'm not sure if even Mike Brown could make our team defend adequately if two more poor defenders are added and Barnes is gone in the Collins deal.

Now what happens if it goes:

ORL: Chet
OKC: Ivey
HOUSTON: still goes Paolo?

?
Is this even plausible?
OKC and Houston are definitely all in for the 2023 draft so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

But OKC probably is smart enough to take Jabari knowing if they win the 2023 lotto they can trade these guys before their rookie deal is up.

I think Houston is all in on Banchero but if he's not there they'll take a big since Ivey and Green really do play the same position.

I've thrown that out there a few days ago, and yes, I think it has a greater than zero chance of happening. Everything we've heard suggests that OKC prefers Chet or Ivey, we've not heard much buzz about Smith/Banchero there. Houston seems locked in on Banchero. So if Orlando takes Chet over Smith, that leaves a very real possibility that OKC will go Ivey, leaving us either Smith or Banchero.

Although, to be honest, if that does happen, it's probably more likely that OKC tries to hold us hostage for Jabari by taking him and then offering him to us for Ivey at #4 plus, likely, a future first. And we might go for that.

There's a pretty good chance if that happens that we take Ivey, and then start ALL the machinery into motion, trying to get the best option out of trading down and trading up all at the same time. It could be VERY busy behind the scenes for us if Chet goes #1.

But all of this uncertainty is why I would doubt any trade would be concluded before the draft is in motion. We will pick at #4 (whether Chet goes #1 or not), it will probably be Ivey at #4, and we may not have a deal worked out yet. Then a bunch of teams that will include us and might include OKC are going to play a big fat game of chicken. We'll find out who blinks first.
I will 100% give OKC a future first for Jabari.

Presti could do some pretty crazy stuff in that scenario too but since I believe they are still in the tank for 2023 I'm not sure they would start trading picks for players until next season.

Just thought of a realistic deal to help the Kings.

Kings
John Collins
OG Anunoby
16th Overall Pick

Raptors
Richaun Holmes
44th overall pick
Hawks 1st '23 (via CHA)

Hawks
Harrison Barnes
4th overall pick

Both players are currently 24 turning 25 later this year like Fox. Sabonis just turned 26, so the timelines are all on par.

With the 16th pick, Kings can target a backup C like Walker Kessler to replace Holmes. Another route would be a combo wing.

I am okay with Murray at 4.

Before we jumped to 4, we were happy a talent like him might be there at 7 (before his stock rose).

Monte is obviously trying to gain additional assests, and I hope a team flinches but if they don't then Murray it is.

Kings
John Collins
OG Anunoby
16th Overall Pick

Raptors
Richaun Holmes
44th overall pick
Hawks 1st '23 (via CHA)

Hawks
Harrison Barnes
4th overall pick

Both players are currently 24 turning 25 later this year like Fox. Sabonis just turned 26, so the timelines are all on par.

With the 16th pick, Kings can target a backup C like Walker Kessler to replace Holmes. Another route would be a combo wing.
sign me up

Kings
John Collins
OG Anunoby
16th Overall Pick

Raptors
Richaun Holmes
44th overall pick
Hawks 1st '23 (via CHA)

Hawks
Harrison Barnes
4th overall pick

The Raptors aren't going to trade OG for Holmes, a 2nd round pick and next years likely 12-15th pick.

Kings
John Collins
OG Anunoby
16th Overall Pick

Raptors
Richaun Holmes
44th overall pick
Hawks 1st '23 (via CHA)

Hawks
Harrison Barnes
4th overall pick

This works for Kings and Hawks. Not sure I understand what Toronto is getting out of this that is fair value.

Yes, I would do it.

Reading different articles on The Athletic……no one agrees
I’m reading now that Detroit would love to get Murray and if Sac takes Murray they may go Mathurin instead of Ivey.

I’m sensing that the posturing and use of media types right now has Sac and Detroit playing games and it will only increase the closer we get.

Reading different articles on The Athletic……no one agrees
I’m reading now that Detroit would love to get Murray and if Sac takes Murray they may go Mathurin instead of Ivey.

I’m sensing that the posturing and use of media types right now has Sac and Detroit playing games and it will only increase the closer we get.
Games are all that Detroit can use. We have the #4, they do not. I have seen quite a few fans of teams that pick after the Kings give their extremely hopeful takes on how their team has the upper hand. It all amounts to desperation.

This works for Kings and Hawks. Not sure I understand what Toronto is getting out of this that is fair value.

Yes, I would do it.
True. Toronto is shopping OG but it seems like they rather deal Siakam. Also their main target seem to be Poelt. The Celtics aren't interested in dealing Williams who they were targeting at the deadline. But if all were to fail then Holmes would be a solid consolation prize. OG is nothing more than a glue guy.

ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas, who compared the Purdue point guard Tuesday to “a little bit of a combination” of Ja Morant and Dwyane Wade, said the Knicks had better be prepared to give up “a lot” to move up from No. 11 in a potential deal with the Kings at No. 4.

“He’s so dynamic and explosive,” Bilas said. “He’s sort of a little bit of a combination of the speed and explosiveness of Ja Morant, and then the size and length of Dwyane Wade.

Last edited:
At the end of the day it really comes down to the 5 minutes after Houston picks (or maybe there will be some early scrambling if Orlando/OKC go way off the plot of the big boards).

I think there are one of two things happening here, and that's drafting Ivey as capital and watching the next few picks play out until someone blinks or we'll just pick Murray. It is good to know Brown has been very involved with behind the scenes team building as well. I'll have a lot of faith whoever we wind up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.