Kings out of the picture for Iverson...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
and how many high school phenoms are going to be drafted in this year's draft= 0.
Yeah but there's almost always someone worthwhile in those middle picks, just a matter of finding them. I don't see this draft as being all that bad, you've already got a few guys who are "for sure" top picks but the NCAA season hasn't even hit full stride yet. The new draft rules should make this a strong draft overall.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man, now we've gone and made a mess of things. This is starting to feel like the bad ole days. Throw in one major injury somewhere and we are off to a debacle type season.

Listening to Grant and he said the following on his show..."The Kings were never interested in AI....Petrie NEVER spoke to Billy King...it was all a bad rumor."

Just passing this along

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Listening to Grant and he said the following on his show..."The Kings were never interested in AI....Petrie NEVER spoke to Billy King...it was all a bad rumor."

Just passing this along

Grant is truly and completely full of ****. I mean really. He's either completely out of touch, or just sitting up there bald face lying. That's embarrassing.

G_M, if that is true what Grant said, it sounds like a cover up within the Kings organization. Think about it... It's the only way to recover from looking like they don't give a damn about Bibby. However, if a dumb fan like me can see through it I don't see how Mike Bibby doesn't or any other reasonably intelligent person.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
We had to trade a top-10 center for that pick and he wasn't cable-ready like Bron was.
Ha! Had to give up that top-10 center so you could bring the #1 center in. Kobe was really just the bonus. And since Kobe said he'd only play in NY or LA odds were pretty good you'd get him somehow. It must really suck being a Lakers fan. :)

But really my point was that there is top talent available in those middle picks, Kobe is the most glaringly obvious and I mentioned him since if memory serves he was picked 13th and the OP said you can't get anyone at 12 or 13. But just look at most any year and there's bound to be one all-star that half the teams missed.

Just passing this along

Grant is full of it. Unless he's claiming that each interview with Joe Maloof over the past few days are completely false.

From AV's article "We're in the mix," Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said Monday"

Last edited:
How freaking whack would that be if we missed out on the answer because Bibby nixed the deal because of some family issue(s).
You do not want Iverson and Artest on the same team. To borrow a quote from Egon of Ghostbusters fame: "Don't cross the streams. It would be bad."

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm not one to bash Grant since I don't live in the area and only get his play by play, but this is total BS. There were league sources indicating the Kings were in the AI trade talks and even the Maloofs were quoted in the "we're out" articles as saying they were in at one point.

Its theoretically possible that the Maloofs were going over Petrie's head to make this happen, or perhaps a similar situation involving Phillie's ownership, but its very clear the Kings were involved in some kind of talks that went beyond "rumor".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
not sure why You even bother to get into such discussions.

The "regulars" know the credibility - the rest will eventually catch up or not.

You got really nothing to prove here
I'm sorry.

:eek:

I apologize to everyone I snapped at. It just gets frustrating sometimes.

what's frustrating is this franchise. MAKE A MOVE. make some trades
...and another thing...dont just make a move just to make a move....ERRRRRRRR C-Webb for Shrimp Thomas, Corliss and Skinner. I dont want to hear about us trading Bibby for no one all for just getting 'movable' parts that arent really movable at all.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
what's frustrating is this franchise. MAKE A MOVE. make some trades
I'm still not sure we should do anything until everyone is close to 100%. The AI deal was one thing because you're talking about a major superstar driving the deal, and when the potential to unload KT was thrown into that mix it was almost a no-brainer.

If its truly off the table I don't want to do anything rash. I think Bibby and probably Brad are gone by the deadline but that's a few months away and there will be more teams looking to wheel and deal at that point. And if the season is completely washed away ship them for expirings and draft picks so we can completely rebuild.

You do not want Iverson and Artest on the same team. To borrow a quote from Egon of Ghostbusters fame: "Don't cross the streams. It would be bad."
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Total protonic reversal indeed. :D

Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Total protonic reversal indeed. :D
I hope you got that from imdb instead of from the Ghostbusters file in your brain. :p

Peeps, conservative mgmnt is frustrating (I can relate), but you'd be better off trading Miller and/or Bibby either at the deadline or in a S/T after the season. Rushing into an Iverson deal could end up ugly. He's a pain in the *** at best. If he has no stock in Sacto, he could leave you in the lurch when his contract is up. Even if you try to S/T him, it could be very hard to find a team willing to extend his contract at its current scale.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
All Joe Maloof ever said was "..... Kings are in the mix for AI" nowhere was it said they were talking about trading FOR AI only that they were "in the mix". To me thats vastly different. In the mix can be part of a 3-team multi-player deal in which AI goes to the Warriors and Baron or such come to Kings (only my wild speculation, not based on any facts for sure).

So for Maloof's to say we were not going to trade for AI (as reported in so many words by Grant) can be completely true. I could never in a million years see AI in Sacramento other than to visit for a game or two a year. But the pieces that may need to move around and thru Sac Town for AI to end up somewhere, thats a different story.

If that article does not prove to anyone that the sixers are looking for some young guys i don't know what does. But anyway i am happy that we didn't give up Martin at least now if we do choose to rebuild we have somebody that could be part of our core.

WOW. Like Brick said, what a mess we've managed to make for ourselves during this whole fiasco. Everything just seems so sloppy right now. Well, back to nothing to enjoy for me. :mad:

Good, getting Iverson did not make us championship material. At this point, any move that does not make us immediate contenders (even KG would be debatable) should not be made. This is THE year to take your lumps and hit the lottery. Moreover, we are FINALLY going to have some cap room.

Another poster made light of it, but I think with Stern engaged in Sacramento the worst we come out of this draft with is Durant.

I did not want this trade to happen. It appears that I am in the minority with that opinion, but I am still glad that it seems dead. I am NOT against trading any player, but I just did not see AI being happy here. Nor did I believe that the others players on our team would benefit from it.