Kings out of the picture for Iverson...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27087

Oh yeah and Indiana's 2007 first round pick belongs to Atlanta from the Joe Johnson trade. So basically their offer would be Tinsley, Jacko, Foster, and Shawne Williams. Sounds like crap to me.
This reminds me of what is going on here with Martin. Like the kings and Martin, ind does not what to trade their young Guy and go for broke. And just like the Kings, if Ind is not willing or desparte enough to trade their young guy for an hall of famer i don't think a deal could be meant. To me only Minn and Boston are the only 2 two teams willing to give up their young players to get an Iverson and most likely the front runners.

Smoke but no fire on deal for Iverson
BY KEN BERGER
Newsday Staff Writer

December 12, 2006, 10:03 PM EST

The Allen Iverson auction is getting stranger by the day -- actually, by the hour.

A day after Iverson reportedly turned down a trade that would've sent him to the Charlotte Bobcats, Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told Bloomberg News Service Tuesday that Sacramento is pulling out of the bidding war for the four-time scoring champion. "We're staying away," Maloof said. "We're not going forward."

Maloof's statement came just as it seemed that the Kings were emerging as a front-runner to acquire Iverson because of the favorable mix of expiring contracts they could offer 76ers general manager Billy King.

A deal with Golden State also seemed less likely Tuesday because of the Warriors' reluctance to part with guard Monta Ellis. Golden State also lacks enough expiring contracts to make the deal palatable to the Sixers while also getting enough cap relief to make up for Iverson's $18.3 million salary.

Boston and Indiana are not yet out of the running, and Iverson apparently wouldn't protest a trade to either team. But the Sixers aren't crazy about the Pacers' desire to unload troublemaker Stephen Jackson and the Celtics aren't willing to part with Al Jefferson.

Minnesota has been more involved than widely reported, according to a source who characterized Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor's statements to the contrary as "a smokescreen."

"If Kevin Garnett goes in to Taylor and says, "I want this to happen,' then this is going to happen," the person said.

With the expiring contracts of Corliss Williamson, Vitaly Potapenko, and Maurice Taylor, plus a coveted point guard in Mike Bibby, Sacramento appeared as well positioned as anyone to make a deal work. Either Maloof is blowing smoke or trying to cover up the fact that Iverson doesn't want to play in Sacramento.

The Nuggets continue to express interest despite public statements to the contrary.

The Clippers, eager to use Iverson to trump Kobe Bryant's star power at Staples Center, could be emerging as a dark horse with the expiring contracts of Tim Thomas and Sam Cassell to offer. They have been trying to trade Corey Maggette for months, but the point guard-starved Sixers would want Shaun Livingston in the deal.

Bobcats coach and GM Bernie Bickerstaff denied a published report Tuesday that Iverson nixed a trade to Charlotte, saying his role in the situation would be as a "facilitator." Indeed, a multi-team trade is beginning to seem more likely.

Meanwhile, a person with knowledge of the inner workings of the Sixers said Iverson's situation first began to spiral out of control on Dec. 2, after a 112-107 loss to the Nets at the Meadowlands. That was the night coach Maurice Cheeks inserted rookie forward Rodney Carney into the starting lineup, benched Kevin Ollie, and made Andre Iguodala the starting point guard.

"On the bus, Allen was moaning about how crappy Mo Cheeks was as a coach," said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "That's what triggered the whole thing."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...1213,0,2233131.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

I mean, there just doesn't seem like there's reason the Kings shouldn't be in the mix still, unless 1) Iverson doesn't want to play in Sacramento or 2) it's a negotiating ploy or 3) the deal can't be completed until Friday and the Kings need to play their game tonight.

I just don't get it.

I mean, there just doesn't seem like there's reason the Kings shouldn't be in the mix still, unless 1) Iverson doesn't want to play in Sacramento or 2) it's a negotiating ploy or 3) the deal can't be completed until Friday and the Kings need to play their game tonight.

I just don't get it.
OR the Sixers wanted more than we were willing to give up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
they wanted martin. its not over!!!
Why on earth would you think it's not over? Just because the writer above says the Kings APPEARED as well positioned as anyone to make a deal work, doesn't mean it would be accomplished.

At this point, I don't care where he goes as long as he goes there quickly and we can forget about this nonsense.

Last edited:
Kings reportedly out of Iverson bidding
By David Aldridge and Joe Juliano

The Philadelphia InquirerS

(MCT)

PHILADELPHIA - His locker has been emptied and his image has been excised from the Philadelphia 76ers' pregame highlight video, but Allen Iverson technically remained a Sixer Tuesday while president and general manager Billy King continued to work on a trade.

King's universe of possible suitors was reduced by one Tuesday. A source said discussions between Sacramento and the Sixers about a possible deal were over and there was no chance the talks would be restarted.

Sources had indicated Monday that the Kings had discussed the parameters of a potential deal with the Sixers for Iverson that centered on guard Mike Bibby. But the discussions apparently never reached a serious stage.

The news of the Kings' withdrawal from the Iverson derby seemed to be a reflection of some grumbling from NBA executives inquiring into the availability of the all-star guard. One front-office type said some calls to his colleagues had led to a conclusion that King's asking price for Iverson was too high.

For the fourth straight day, King was unavailable for comment.

The Denver Nuggets, however, were still at least on the periphery of the talks. A source indicated last night that Denver was willing to part with center Nene as part of a package for Iverson and that George Karl had expressed no problems with coaching Iverson.

Karl has dealt with high-wire acts many times in his career, having coached a young Gary Payton in Seattle and an old Anthony Mason in Milwaukee.

The Nuggets would also be willing to deal injured forward Kenyon Martin, but the Sixers have no interest in the surgically susceptible forward. Martin is out for the year following a second microfracture knee surgery in November and still is due $59.75 million after this season.

Nene missed all of last season after tearing his ACL in the opening game. Going into last night's game against Atlanta, he had appeared in six of Denver's 18 games, averaging 6.2 points and 4.5 rebounds in 16 minutes.

The Nuggets and Sixers had discussed a deal just before February's trade deadline that would have sent guard Andre Miller and center Marcus Camby to Philadelphia for Iverson. King denied that the talks went as far as was reported at the time.

In Charlotte, Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff denied a report in Tuesday's Inquirer that his team had worked out a deal with the Sixers but that Iverson had rejected it. Bickerstaff did not rule out being the third team involved in an Iverson trade scenario.

"Our situation with Billy King would be acting as a facilitator if it works to help us," Bickerstaff told the Charlotte Observer.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16225329.htm

I am guessing that Philly is holding out for Kev and feigning that that is the only way Sac can get AI. If GP gives in and lets Kev go (probably not going to happen) that is one way this still happens. Another is that we really do still have the best offer on the table with Bibby and any expirings. When Philly figures that we will not give up Kev, and noone else offers a better package, they go for what is/was on the table from Sac.

so that means that if they dont get any better offers, geoffs phone will be ringing again...
I really, really don't know what the heck I'm talking about and want to make that perfectly clear, but if I had to guess, the Kings made it clear what they were and weren't willing to offer the Sixers, and right now the Sixers' price is too high. If the price changes at some point (probably unlikely) I think Petrie will take King's call, and will be in a better negotiating position since King's the one calling him.

But, still, probably over. It's just a sliver.

Philly doesn't have much leverage and the longer this drags out, the less they can get in return. If the Kings made an offer and the Sixers shot it down right away, that offer isn't going to improve should Iverson still be a Sixer in a week or two. The offers aren't going to get any better now with Joe saying "We're staying away".

Maybe they will stay away but maybe this thing drags out for a long time and the Kings can step in a scoop Iverson up when things get desperate for Philly.

I really, really don't know what the heck I'm talking about and want to make that perfectly clear, but if I had to guess, the Kings made it clear what they were and weren't willing to offer the Sixers, and right now the Sixers' price is too high. If the price changes at some point (probably unlikely) I think Petrie will take King's call, and will be in a better negotiating position since King's the one calling him.

But, still, probably over. It's just a sliver.
so youre saying theres a chance...

we have no idea who else billy king is talking too, but so far, any deal with bibby that the kings offer is far better than anything that ive heard any other team would offer for iverson. this isnt the pacers from last year with jermaine o'neal helping to keep the team afloat. sixers have webber trying to do that, plus theyre on an 8 game losing streak, plus you bet your *** that the philly fans are pissed! they want something and they want it now. theyre losing iverson and they are the fans that need something right there right now

That was because his agent said he was not coming.......which according to ron, wasn't true

Not the same
he knew exactly what he meant. it was his last chance and he decided to take his career in the right direction and just play basketball and stop shooting himself in the foot over and over again

chris webber didnt want to play here either

Ron can hardly remember whether he's coming or going on occasions. If you remember he's the one who saud that he was wearing a purple tie the day he said he wanted to be traded.

In Chris's case the team had losing seasons.......again not the same.

Ron can hardly remember whether he's coming or going on occasions. If you remember he's the one who saud that he was wearing a purple tie the day he said he wanted to be traded.

In Chris's case the team had losing seasons.......again not the same.
maybe it was iverson's agent that said he didnt want to play here. in that case, it would be the same. maybe somewhere, allen iverson is wearing a purple tie... we dont know

Now why would he of all people be wearing a tie.....period?

Same agent Marc Stein reported(10mins ago) that he doesn't want to go to Charlotte, Sacramento or Golden State? Unless King says I don't care if you report or not you're going to be traded here, I no longer see the Kings as an option.

The interesting thing about these kinds of public statements made DURING negotiations is, we have to consider Maloof could be talking in order to have an impact on the negotiations.

Like walking away from the car at the car dealership. "Sorry, not interested."

Car Salesman: "Wait, let me see if I can get you a getter deal!"

That is exactly the point I've been making to people all day. I don't buy that the Kings are "OUT OF all negotiations". I really think the Maloof's decided to just keep it on the down low and still work a deal out possibly. Especially after them not having any reason why they just suddenly decided to STOP all talks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, I'm sure they have a reason. They are under no obligation whatsoever to make that reason public. That's the point most of you don't get.