Kings @ Nets Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
piksi said:
so far he made it up with scoring (15) but You are right - this is a nightmare matchup because only Ron is really capable of guarding any of those guys
I'd have to disagree. Saw some very solid D from Bonzi and KT as well.

Bricklayer said:
Uh yeah.

Criticizing Mike Bibby after he shoots 9-11 for 23pts in a half is completely ridiculous. He wants to do that again in the second half he doesn't even have to run back down past halfcourt on defense.
Thats my point. If he is shooting well then it's okay if he sucks on the defensive end. But when he isn't shooting well, it's nice to know we have a little versatility.

nbrans said:
When most players get hot they also step it up on defense becuase they get pumped up. When Bibby gets hot he plays even less defense than before. Other than that steal he's been taking the night off on defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take 23 points in the first half any day of the week, but nothing excuses someone from not playing defense.
He's playing against Kidd, and winning that battle. Not something that happens very often.

Kidd has had a balanced, fairly successful game, but any night we're winning the PG battle against Kidd is amazing.

Plus, with the loss of Cisco, we have no one else who can handle the ball. Mucho presure.

W

West_Gunslinger16

Bballkingsrock said:
I think that was LMM......... on TV!
So who's LMM? VF21 is also talking about him/her on the PBP thread. :confused: Sorry for my ignorance guys.:p

BawLa said:
Thats my point. If he is shooting well then it's okay if he sucks on the defensive end. But when he isn't shooting well, it's nice to know we have a little versatility.
This is the type of thinking that celebrates mediocrity. If the Kings want to be a middling team it's totally super-duper if people score points and suck on defense. If the Kings have any hopes of being an elite team it would not be acceptible for players to excel on only one end of the floor.

Bibby's been awesome tonight, but it's not enough for him to just settle for playing offense. Why can't he also play defense when he's hot?

piksi said:
on whom ?
It's not about "on whom" for defense. It's about hustle, rotation, getting in the way, breaking things up. Bonzi has a block and a steal, and what should have been ANOTHER steal.

Defense isn't about matchups so much as hustle and rotation.

At lease, to me...

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
LMM is one of our members, WestGunslinger. She said to watch for her ... we did, and we saw her!

:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For those criticizing Bibby: Oh good lord. Bibby is Bibby. Right now, he's doing what we need him to do the most. NO PLAYER is perfect. Bibby's weakness may be in his inability to stay in front of his man and play meaningful defense, but I certainly am not going to hold it against him.

A successful team has balance. Strengths counter weaknesses, etc. Right now, it looks like it's working to me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
nbrans said:
Bibby's been awesome tonight, but it's not enough for him to just settle for playing offense. Why can't he also play defense when he's hot?
Its a silly time to be worrying about or even raising the defense issue.

nbrans said:
This is the type of thinking that celebrates mediocrity. If the Kings want to be a middling team it's totally super-duper if people score points and suck on defense. If the Kings have any hopes of being an elite team it would not be acceptible for players to excel on only one end of the floor.

Damn. Feel like I'm not watching the same game here. Especially in the second quarter, I felt the guys played good D. 22 points in the quarter for the nets, the kings outscoring them by 10, on the road against a damn good Nets team. I can't ask for too much more, here. Besides Jefferson, and a little Carter, no one has had a stellar night, no one is tearing it up.

This is really about a good a half as we can hope for from this team right now.

Bricklayer said:
Its a silly time to be worrying about or even raising the defense issue.
This would have been an easier point to make if Bibby hadn't scored 11 points at the end of the half (when I first posted he had 12). Bibby = awesome. I just don't see why anyone should get a free pass from even TRYING on defense, no matter how many points they score.

I think there should be accountability even when he scores. No one should get a free pass.

W

West_Gunslinger16

Oh man! Big Bad Bibby! He's 3-3! When he plays like that every night I will not criticize or complain about his defense. I hope he continues this at the 2nd Half.

nbrans said:

If Bibby is outscoring Kidd and Jefferson in a Half, then you bring him a cot and let him sleep on the court for 5 minutes.

I was making the point that when he isn't shooting the lights out, that we have some other guys who can run the offense, score, and unlike Bibby, play some defense.

Wow, go Kings. I was going to say this has been the best road performance ever, but then they would probably give up a 25-0 run. So I won't jinx it.

Awesome! Good timeout for the Kings to realize that they are up by 18 and to reset and realize they're not gonna let this one slip away.

piksi

Hall of Famer
nbrans said:
Wow, go Kings. I was going to say this has been the best road performance ever, but then they would probably give up a 25-0 run. So I won't jinx it.
I remember beating Nets by 35 or so 3-4 years ago on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.