Kings @ Nets Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
On March 6th 2005 (last season) Kings beat the champs from Detroit 100 - 85to improve to 37 - 24 for the season. Great team effort by the Kings who had 6 players in double figures. KT had 19/10/2/2bl, Mike had 19/5/11 to lead the Kings. Pedja and Darius had 14 each. Skinner had 12/12/3bl and Mo had 12 pts also to go with 9 rebounds. Kings hav won every quarter in this game.

Thomas was one of six players in double figures for the Kings, who never trailed despite playing without injured starters Brad Miller and Cuttino Mobley. Sacramento shot nearly 50 percent from the field and outscored Detroit in every quarter.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Kings 28-31 experienced a hopefully minor steback losing today. Still 9th in the West, Kings "dropped" to 2-1 on this trip and after a pathetic Pistons performance from the last night the deficit is back up to 2.5 games behing Lakers. We are still in good shape and we don't have to make up everything in one night or one week. The most consistant team will make it. The teams that bounce back after tough losses. The teams who win on the road. Also the team that can stay healthy. Hopefully, it will be us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, I praised some individuals and of course I kinda jinxed it so from now on I will let praising up to You and I will go back to what I usually do - criticizing everything and everybody.
Mike Bibby has not been playing as well as we need him to play for us to be as successful as we need. Whatever the reason might be - I don't really care. He needs to step up. Defensively, it is very hard to find words to expres how much he sucks. His teammates are probably tired of trying to cover up for him night in and night out. On this road trip - only thing that can give him a passing grade is his passing (+8 assists per game). Everything else has not been good enough. Shot selection - sad. Almost 4TOs per game alarming. FG% below 36% pathetic. Also in this 3 games he had 3 steels and 7 rebounds. Yes, he is tired and yes, we don't have a backup PG that is any good. Despite all of it - for us to have a chance to get to PO - Mike will have to play better on both ends of the floor.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
NBA sucks !. I hate early games especially when they aren't even broadcasted:rolleyes:. ABC just pulled the game out. We are apparently not worthy of watching anymore. Knicks, Rockets, Sonics, Bulls, Cavs are OK. Successful, entertaining just fun to watch - especially the theatre atmosphere in those arenas. They are probably hunting down people around the arenas and forcing them to watch at a gun point.
Why would You schedule a game so early in a day. What are You selling ? Most of the players can't play their best because their biorythms are saying "what a hell ?" Not even pickup games start at 1 pm or so. Especially, when a West coast team goes East. Might as well write a "L" and save the energy. They call it "schedule losses."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Due to lack of alternatives - I ended up watching Suns and Mavs. Great game between 2 elite teams. I didn't really care who would win as long as the Mavs lose. The whole game I was trying to rationalize what the hell happend to us. Age, injuries and some bad moves caught up with us. Mavs on the other hand are still there close to the top. Just frustrating to accept that we aren't really in the same league anymore
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Somebody please explain to me why we traded Skinner because I just don't get it. It is like 2 painting collectors swaping paintings just they can stare in something else. Do we intend to play any of those guys ever ? Skinner at least was used sporadically and he did OK. Now we have Corliss playing his favorite role as a backup canter. First of all - we should let Corliss focus on his writing and second - hobbit ball isn't working well. We really don't need another player who can't rebound and defend./ We have enough of that to export. I just hope that there is a plan behind all of this. More and more it looks like "the hamster left the wheel" and went to Vegas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings overslept the whole first half in DC and it cost us the game. There was no effort, energy or plan in the first half. We are not good enough to turn it on for a quarter and win the game. Those time are gone. We have to play every second of the 48 minutes to be able to win on the road. It was a winable game. During the game I was wondering what would it take for Brad to get a rebound, for SAR to do anything useful and for the Kings team tofinally decide to attempt guarding Jamison. When You shot 51.2 % on the road - You should win that game. We missed 13 FTs and got outrebounded by 6. Taylor won the TDM award sponsored by Kings defense.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nets are next in a back to back which isn't real back to back because Kings should have enough time to recover. Nets have a good team but almost no bench. The matchups don't favor us but we still have a shot if we play for 48 minutes. Before the trip - I thought that it would be the toughest game of the trip. Maybe, Kings will respond.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike - Kidd is waiting and mike needs to step up. Less turnovers, better shots and some effort on D
Ron - what else does this man have to do for us.
Wells - getting better
SAR - come on man. Do You relly want to go to POs ?
Brad- it is OK to rebound in the first half.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin - Jefferson or Carter - one of them has a field day tomorow.
KT - stop turning the damn ball over
Cisco - get well soon
Hart - oh boy
Corliss - hobbit ball - vintage
Sampson/Price - Mateen
Potapenko/Monia - Brent Price
RA - looked like he overslept today's game too. Wake up man !
Nets are scary. When a Kings fan hears names like Clif Robinson and Scott Padgett - it ruins the day. They are a part of the bench that sucks and need a breakout game. Coincidentally, we are in town. Oh boy, oh boy. Padget will win TDM award tonight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Go Magic !!

Go Spurs !!! - just don't such the way Pistons did

Last edited:
KT/SAR should take advantage of their front-court, as well as for SAR to bounce back from his bleh game yesterday. We have the advantage there, other than probably Krstic on the offensive end. Bonzi/Artest/Kevin need to control one or both of RJ/Vince. Krstic I'd say has a big game, and the TDM award goes to Jacque Vaughn.

We traded Skinner to get rid of his contract and get under the cap and out of the luxury tax, which we did. Skinner was not being used on the year, and when he was it was for 5-8 minutes, only a few times was it over that.

Should be a hard-fought game, Kings can get it!

Last edited:
Ah, I was wondering if you'd post this thread tonight, Piksi. I can now sleep blissfully, knowing I got to read your intro before game time.;)

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kings113 said:
We traded Skinner to get rid of his contract and get under the cap and out of the luxury tax, which we did. Skinner was not being used on the year, and when he was it was for 5-8 minutes, only a few times was it over that.
is this really true ?

Yeah. Guess you didn't read the article on the trade.

The extraction of Skinner's contract - which had two more seasons paying him more than $10 million - means the Kings will no longer be paying the league's luxury tax. The tax applies to teams whose payroll is above $61.7 million, requiring them to pay one additional dollar for each dollar spent above the threshold.

Potapenko will be paid $3 million this season and $3.3 million in the next. From the beginning of this season, the 22-year-old Monia will make just over $2 million combined through the next season, with team options in the 2007-08 and 2008-09. The Kings also can make a qualifying offer on Monia for the 2009-10 season.

"It gives us some additional flexibility this year and going forward," Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said by phone from Sacramento. "It doesn't impact anything up further than we already were."
If there is a hitch in a deal that affords the Kings salary cap flexibility without expanding the payroll,
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/14221937p-15047475c.html

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/14223135p-15048332c.html

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

this is why we really needed to win against the wizards, martin has carter or jefferson... hopefully bonzi can hold up......

SacTownKid said:
Why did we trade Skinner? Better question, why did Skinner never play?! ;)
I honestly think that Rick doesn't like to play guys that don't help to run the offense well. We all know that Rick is an offensive minded coach. In terms of ball movement, you don't want an undersized Center who doesn't pass well and who hadn't played many minutes in a Kings uniform to play. Thats what I think. And to some extent I agree. Incorporating Brian into the offense was the last think on Rick's list. Especially when he plays Miller 40 minutes. Don't get me wrong I think he should have played Brian more, but I think thats why.

We traded Skinner for money flexibility, bottom line. And Monia has more potential upside than Skinner. We had to take a half-baked Potato to make the money work out.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
BawLa said:
I honestly think that Rick doesn't like to play guys that don't help to run the offense well. We all know that Rick is an offensive minded coach. In terms of ball movement, you don't want an undersized Center who doesn't pass well and who hadn't played many minutes in a Kings uniform to play. Thats what I think. And to some extent I agree. Incorporating Brian into the offense was the last think on Rick's list. Especially when he plays Miller 40 minutes. Don't get me wrong I think he should have played Brian more, but I think thats why.

We traded Skinner for money flexibility, bottom line. And Monia has more potential upside than Skinner. We had to take a half-baked Potato to make the money work out.
I see your point, and I can accept Ricks explaination as to why Brian was traded. He said he needed to give Shareef the backup minutes, and thats what he has been doing all season.

Rick has pretty much always run a 3 man rotation in the frontcourt. Back in the day it was Webber/Vlade/Pollard, and Webber/Vlade/Keon when Scot was hurt. Then it was Webber/Brad/Darius. Now its Brad/Kenny/Reef.

SacTownKid said:
Rick has pretty much always run a 3 man rotation in the frontcourt. Back in the day it was Webber/Vlade/Pollard, and Webber/Vlade/Keon when Scot was hurt. Then it was Webber/Brad/Darius. Now its Brad/Kenny/Reef.
One of these things is not like the other,
One of these things just doesn't belong...

GoGoGadget said:
One of these things is not like the other,
One of these things just doesn't belong...
You got that right. What was already apparent all season long, became even more apparent the game against the the Wizards..... We desperately need a "real" Power forward.

If KT can just stop turning the ball over! How many points off turn overs did Wizards get yesterday? And Bibby shooting 5 - 16 ?! I'm just going to take a stab here, but when he and Brad are the only two guys shooting decently from the free-throw line, how about a few more drives to the hole?! HARUMPH!

P.S. I'm now officially addicted to Piksi's threads!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Grant was saying the other day (Thursday, I think) that the deal put the team at $2,000 under the salary cap - meaning that the Kings also get a $4 million bonus at the end of the year for not being over the cap, as all teams under the cap do.

I'll miss all of tonight's game. Work is insane lately and it seems that my fellow teachers and I are not in enough afterschool meetings, so more have been scheduled for the evenings. STINKS. ANyway, I'll be sure to read this thread (most of it anyway) so keep it entertaining for me tonight. Hopefully, I'll make it home for a win!! GO KINGS.

i'm so excited! i just can't contain it!

this is like going to my first kings game even though it actually is my third. i just get that feeling of happiness and excitement over and over again!

if you guys are watching on TV, if the camera shows me, you'll recognize me immediately because i'll be wearing a crown. well, sometimes i may take the crown off and wear a kings cap. but either way, i'll have my sign with me.

so, GO KINGS!

i hope i finally get to see a kings WIN in person :D

**who else is going to the game?

Not a bad start...

Missed a couple easy shots that could have turned this quarter our way, but I'll take the tie.

We need someone other than bibby to get into gear to start the second.

The L Train said:
Not a bad start...

Missed a couple easy shots that could have turned this quarter our way, but I'll take the tie.

We need someone other than bibby to get into gear to start the second.
We also need Ron in there. I dunno if we can match them for 4 quarters if Ron gets in more foul trouble.

Unless of course if they give Collins the ball all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.