[Game] Kings @ Jazz - Saturday, Oct. 26 - 6 PT

I think this Walton quote from a recent Sac Bee article explains a lot. Rather than trying to break it down and build it up stronger, Walton is doing it on the fly.
‐----‐------------------------------------------
"It’s cleaning up fundamentals. It’s getting repetition at what we do. We want to be able to recognize what defenses are doing, and read and react, and all these things take time.”

Read and react doesn’t sound as simple as run and gun. This might explain why the Kings’ offense hasn’t looked as fast and fluid as it did last season under former coach Dave Joerger, but you can’t blame Walton for wanting to get his system implemented now, starting with the basics.

The Kings will get faster and more fluid on offense. The defense will improve. The question is whether Walton can bring this team together quickly enough to salvage the season."

I think this Walton quote from a recent Sac Bee article explains a lot. Rather than trying to break it down and build it up stronger, Walton is doing it on the fly.
"It’s cleaning up fundamentals. It’s getting repetition at what we do. We want to be able to recognize what defenses are doing, and read and react, and all these things take time.”

Read and react doesn’t sound as simple as run and gun. This might explain why the Kings’ offense hasn’t looked as fast and fluid as it did last season under former coach Dave Joerger, but you can’t blame Walton for wanting to get his system implemented now, starting with the basics.

The Kings will get faster and more fluid on offense. The defense will improve. The question is whether Walton can bring this team together quickly enough to salvage the season."
I honestly really don’t have a great feel for what Walton is really all about. What is the plan on offense? Are we pick and roll focused? Space and pace? High post? Run and gun? All I have heard is we want to shoot more threes. Read and react. What does that really mean? At least with joerger he hammered into everyones head that we were going to play with breakneck speed. After every defensive stop, rebound or out of the basket. He talked about keeping things very simple and working things in gradually, but at a minimum we were going to be freaking fast and he was going to hold them responsible for that (remember constantly hearing “run, run, run....” on the sidelines?). I saw someone else post this elsewhere, but it seems like we hired the zen master coach the organization thought would push us to the next level (justified or not), when we are just a young team that still needs to be playing fast, loose and fun.

The first step in making the Kings play better is to figure out what has gone wrong. I point to the coach first. That does not mean that we need to make a change. Far from it. A coach needs a couple of seasons to make his imprint on a team. I hope people can appreciate the job that Malone and Jaeger did with this team. Now we have a new coach. The issues with the Kings are mental. In a young team instilling confidence is a big deal. That is why I liked Shumpert so much. Next comes leadership. The Kings could select a team captain or something similar. Next comes the effort level. That can improve. The last big part is the xs and os. Walton has to figure this out and it may take some time.

I would like to see the Kings come out and run again. They had success with it. It all starts with defense and rebounding. These are not complicated concepts but take some refinement. The Kings are giving up too many points and getting out rebounded, by a lot. Next comes the offensive schemes in the half court. Way too much standing around. The Kings will never be the Rockets and they should stop trying to play like them.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I didn't have a good first impression of Dedmon. My conclusion - this early season looks like a Kings-tragedy in the making. Too much "fixing" of things that may not have been all the way broken in the off-season. Yes they ended the season fizzling out last season, but I'd take that over fizzling out to start the season. Too many unknowns introduced. From a fan standpoint, too high of expectations. They may have gambled too much with coaching and team chemistry.......grab players with defensive slants to adjust defense, however, the offense has now suffered evidently as well. It could be back to square-1. Or maybe they pull together, but who knows.
If Dedmond makes me yearn for the return of WCS then I'm going to have to put myself under guard for fear I might do harm to myself.

Suns
Blazers
Jazz
Nuggets
Hornets

Honestly, what did everyone think our record was gonna be after the first 5 games?

I thought 2-3. If we only win against Charlotte, we are only 1 game behind our predicted start. It’s a long season. Yes we looked like crap 2 out of the 3 games but I’m sure a lot of teams start out slow and made a run. It’s not impossible. I know a few here said give it 10-15 games or so. I was excited as anyone here and hoped we would start off strong but people acting like the season is already lost.

Suns
Blazers
Jazz
Nuggets
Hornets

Honestly, what did everyone think our record was gonna be after the first 5 games?

I thought 2-3. If we only win against Charlotte, we are only 1 game behind our predicted start. It’s a long season. Yes we looked like crap 2 out of the 3 games but I’m sure a lot of teams start out slow and made a run. It’s not impossible. I know a few here said give it 10-15 games or so. I was excited as anyone here and hoped we would start off strong but people acting like the season is already lost.
It’s not the record. The effort and execution has been terrible.

It was a difficult decision - Shumpert was routinely shooting 2-9 on many nights. Hindsight 20/20. I think it was too much change in the offseason in FA and coaching -- also not having a top draft pick didn't help..
Never thought Shump was actually all that good for us on the court, but he clearly had a major impact in the locker room and off the court being the "vet" for the young core.

Could have still gotten Barnes and transitioned Shump to a 10-15 min role off the bench.

I can't attribute 3 straight losses that feature 2 blowouts to the coach. This is a player effort problem. We have a group of cream of the crop basketball players that are among the very top players from their respective draft classes turning the ball over, not making shots, and not defending. You don't get blown out in one game and not come back the next game fighting as hard as possible.

Basketball blaming rule #1: When it's the whole team looking terrible, IT'S THE COACH.

Now, it could be effort related, because of a lack of familiarity, or a bunch of other things but obviously now it's reached the point of these players starting to doubt themselves. Now we see what this coaching staff and group of players are made of.

Walton’s message to the tea on offense....read and react

what the players interpretation of this is.... how can I get my shot off
This is almost identical to what we saw the year before last. It's hard to read and react when a player isn't sure where to move to. The simple answer is to take all that spot shooting you signed and spread it out. They didn't sign a bunch of read and react players, they signed floor spacers. They are making this way, way harder than it needs to be.

Never liked Walton. Never wanted him here. Every other place Walton has been was glad when he was gone. I say give him 10 games.. If it's still like this then fire the guy and try to salvage what we have left.

3-2 was my guess.

Vlade’s luck is gone. He spit in Lady Luck’s face and it’s gone forever.
one can look at Walton's accuser news coming out a day after Vlade signs him and his draft pick Bagley getting a thumb injury as he is finally in the starting linup as Lady Luck's punishement.

Never liked Walton. Never wanted him here. Every other place Walton has been was glad when he was gone. I say give him 10 games.. If it's still like this then fire the guy and try to salvage what we have left.
10 games is unlikely unless there is a total player revolt. They should be feeling that pressure now though. This is where a coach like Waltons calming nature will either help, or destroy the team. I'm sure interested to see if he can turn this around.

10 games is unlikely unless there is a total player revolt. They should be feeling that pressure now though. This is where a coach like Waltons calming nature will either help, or destroy the team. I'm sure interested to see if he can turn this around.
There needs to be a FAN revolt. This is just crap... Already tired of this team.. I had said 4-1 and was VERY excited, until the second half of the first and second games.. I didn't even know we played the Jazz I was so upset.

On a more happy side note;
That little chicken (thelma) in my av is still alive (2013 pic) and she's still laying eggs sometimes in the spring and summer. She's a polish crested chicken. And my kitty (Winnie) is still kicking! 18.5 years old and still as spry as ever (except she cannot hear very well). Her eyes are still good though!

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think what is happening with the team is they are starting to realize what they had in Joerger. A guy who held them accountable, made them push the pace, had a plan in place, knew what he and his staff were doing...all this while being a prickly type of personality which some coaches display.

Now they have a guy who really is laid back and cool as far as treating them but the reality is Walton really doesn’t have a detailed offensive Plan because read and react sure looks like iso ball to me. Bigger problem for the players is the slower pace which is a killer for these guys As Joerger opened it up last year.

i think reality might be hitting the players square in the face as they come to grips with what they lost In Joerger.

I think what is happening with the team is they are starting to realize what they had in Joerger. A guy who held them accountable, made them push the pace, had a plan in place, knew what he and his staff were doing...all this while being a prickly type of personality which some coaches display.

Now they have a guy who really is laid back and cool as far as treating them but the reality is Walton really doesn’t have a detailed offensive Plan because read and react sure looks like iso ball to me. Bigger problem for the players is the slower pace which is a killer for these guys As Joerger opened it up last year.

i think reality might be hitting the players square in the face as they come to grips with what they lost In Joerger.
Malone and his Nuggets are in town for a game tomorrow night:)

I hope this isn't true, but seems likely.

I remember Magic saying a year or two ago that one of his biggest complaints about Luke Walton was his lack of an offensive game plan. We're really seeing it here. Just a bunch of freelancing. This team isn't made up of a bunch of high IQ players that can just go out there and wing it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

so could it be that the players respected Joerger and his accountability towards their mistakes versus a laid back Walton with a more like-able personality?

In addition to seemingly not having any real coaching, we still do not have well defined roles and pecking order. This only works if the comradery and chemistry are sky high and the team is growing together, such as the case was before the trades that killed our playoff push last season. If you don't have that type of chemistry then you need to know who the man and who the role player.