Kings interview Del Negro, Jackson and Mitchell for Head Coach position (Yahoo News)

Apparently we'll be interviewing Luke Walton.

Could be fools gold (goes without saying that The Dubs are STACKED), but he's supposed to be sharp as hell.

Don't think I really want him here, but he's more intriguing than these other guys we've been bringing in.
I know it's extremely short-sighted, but Walton's Lakers connection still bothers me and is one of many reasons I don't want him here. Hated him as a player. Also, nothing that was accomplished while he was interim coach for GS impresses me. That car was on cruise control before he sat behind the wheel.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm not a Sam Mittchell fan and he didn't do too good with the Wolves. Mark Jackson I don't like at all. Vinny del Negro is a possibility, but I would still be looking for something more modern and current approach of the potential coach.
That seems to be the popular refrain, but I don't think people are looking too deeply into it. I don't need to look at our record to know that George Karl mismanaged our roster this season. Some of that is reflected in the wins and losses but players regressing as the season goes on when they should be getting better is a pretty damning indictment of his teaching and/or motivation skills and that's something you really only see if you watch all the games. Similarly I think Sam Mitchell's main failing this season doesn't have anything to do with wins and losses -- management wants a splashy name and Sam Mitchell isn't one (though he does have a Coach of the Year award). He did exactly what they wanted him to do -- shepherd their young talent and improve their skills. Zach LaVine is killing it this year. Karl-Anthony Towns won Rookie of the Year and could end up being All-NBA too. Wiggins showed potential last season but this season he's a full-fledged 20 point scorer. This is a long article, but there's some great stuff in here about how extensively his staff tracked and documented player development, about how he teaches defense, breaks down game tape, and uses practices to correct bad habits. I gained a lot of respect for Sam Mitchell when I read that article and I don't know if he's the right personality for our team, but I do think we need someone willing to put in this level of commitment to teaching young players.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apparently we'll be interviewing Luke Walton.

Could be fools gold (goes without saying that The Dubs are STACKED), but he's supposed to be sharp as hell.

Don't think I really want him here, but he's more intriguing than these other guys we've been bringing in.
I was thinking the same thing. And then I had to smack myself for thinking it. :p

Entity

Hall of Famer
Luke Wilton's recent fame includes 2 of the best three point shooters in the game today one of them being the best ever, to shoot 300-400 threes each in a season. Yeah that style should work here. Oh and a top 3 defensive player in the NBA to boot that is also top three point shooter as well.

I sorry for the sarcasm. I just don't want another run at trying to copy the Warriors. To copy them you must have MVP best shooter ever and two more slightly behind him and another one coming off the bench.

Sam Mitchell is terrible. Brian Shaw is a joke....wrong in more ways than Karl was wrong. And Walton is beneficiary of favorable circumstances with no special attributes as a coach. And his career as player was a farce. Vlade either (1) doesn't know what he wants in a coach or (2) is granting interviews to anyone who throws their hat in the ring or (3) both. There is value in sitting down with guys who should NOT be hired IMHO so when the right guy does come along he will stick out like a sore thumb. I hope this is what is occurring.

Here's a problem in my mind...Vlade wants a guy who is "on the same page" with the players and front office. Really? Is that what the team needs? A "yes" man? An agreeable chap? Vlade said he wants a guy who can be a unifier and bring the guys together. Having a pleasant personality is fine but it is not enough. The team needs a superior strategist and/or motivator and/or leader. Preferably, all three.

Ideally you want a guy who can get in the face of players without alienating them. That's what Malone did. That's what Pop does. That's what Thibs does/did. They are good/great coaches because they are tough and respected. To be respected you better have a keen mind with no BS personality or you lose guys like Boogie and Rondo quick. I am not sure if Vlade gets this. I hope he does having played for Adelman and Phil Jackson (?). Otherwise if he doesn't get this he's liable to make a weak hire and not only doom the fate on his new coach but his own.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so Sam Mitchell, Brian Shaw, Mike Brown, Mark Jackson, Del Negro are just some of the options out there.....hmmm doesn't look very promising. I'd like to see Vlade interview someone from the college ranks as well.

Not really impressed with any of the scheduled interviews. Mitchell is a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Given the list of reported candidates, I am on the McHale bandwagon.
Depending on which list you're referring to, the ideal one for me would be JVG (but chances are of course extremely slim to zero). But hey, at least his name was mentioned as one of those Vlade's interested in!

Entity

Hall of Famer
My top 5 list

Thibs (gone)
Brooks (gone)
Mchale
Huge gap
Del negro

Let's face it after that we are looking at another 1 and done. Haha we are to NBA coaches what blue chip players are to college basketball

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I was thinking the same thing. And then I had to smack myself for thinking it. :p
If we hired him, I'd have to change the name of the Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner award so that's certainly something.

Unless he was somehow even more awful as head coach than he was as a player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Speaking of ex Lakers, we are now bringing Shaw in for an interview?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel already, I see.
I really don't understand this line of thinking.

There are a certain number of individuals who are in contention for head coach spots. It's a finite number and it's not that big. I would rather Vlade interview more than enough people than restrict himself to only interviewing the best ones he can and then having to widen the search. THAT'S embarrassing.

Oh hey...I know we didn't interview you in our core group, but they all turned us down flat and now we have to see just who will agree to come here.

That's tacky and the real PR problem, not interviewing people who we most likely do not have any real interest in.

It's like pre-draft workouts. We look at a lot of players we have no intention of drafting.

Luke Wilton's recent fame includes 2 of the best three point shooters in the game today one of them being the best ever, to shoot 300-400 threes each in a season. Yeah that style should work here. Oh and a top 3 defensive player in the NBA to boot that is also top three point shooter as well.

I sorry for the sarcasm. I just don't want another run at trying to copy the Warriors. To copy them you must have MVP best shooter ever and two more slightly behind him and another one coming off the bench.
This is true.

What exactly is the case for Walton ?

The first question really has to be how do you build an offense off what we have - how do you leverage our strengths and play around Demarcus ?

thats why i have more faith in McHale/Hollins. Types who i feel would work better with what we have rather then impose a foreign style, not saying Walton would, but he doesnt have a large body of work to suggest otherwise.

AND the MVP of last years NBA Finals Andre Iguodala who I think may be the Warriors MVP once they reach the Playoffs. He can play PG and Guard LeBron!

Depending on which list you're referring to, the ideal one for me would be JVG (but chances are of course extremely slim to zero). But hey, at least his name was mentioned as one of those Vlade's interested in!
I very much doubt that JVG has any interest in the Sacramento job. He can pick his own destination. I think for him it will either be Houston again or he will continue to do his analyst role on TV.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I really don't understand this line of thinking.

There are a certain number of individuals who are in contention for head coach spots. It's a finite number and it's not that big. I would rather Vlade interview more than enough people than restrict himself to only interviewing the best ones he can and then having to widen the search. THAT'S embarrassing.

Oh hey...I know we didn't interview you in our core group, but they all turned us down flat and now we have to see just who will agree to come here.

That's tacky and the real PR problem, not interviewing people who we most likely do not have any real interest in.

It's like pre-draft workouts. We look at a lot of players we have no intention of drafting.
It's not the guys we are interviewing, so much as the guys we aren't.

And that's not really on Vlade.

Thibs said he had no interest coming here, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if all the other top candidates feel the same.

Our beloved Kings are a **** show. Cuz, deservedly or not (I vote not) has a reputation as a coach killer. Vivek is a horrible owner who deservedly has the reputation as a coach killer. We aren't the most glamorous option for candidates that can afford to be choosy.

OTOH, we have the best big in the game, a new arena, and the best damn fans in the NBA, so hopefully these guys consider that.

I just want to see more "out of the box" type names if we can't attract the top tier, because frankly, the guys we're bringing in are awful.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not the guys we are interviewing, so much as the guys we aren't.

And that's not really on Vlade.

Thibs said he had no interest coming here, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if all the other top candidates feel the same.

Our beloved Kings are a **** show. Cuz, deservedly or not (I vote not) has a reputation as a coach killer. Vivek is a horrible owner who deservedly has the reputation as a coach killer. We aren't the most glamorous option for candidates that can afford to be choosy.

OTOH, we have the best big in the game, a new arena, and the best damn fans in the NBA, so hopefully these guys consider that.

I just want to see more "out of the box" type names if we can't attract the top tier, because frankly, the guys we're bringing in are awful.
The process just started. The playoffs are still in their first round, and some potential candidates are kinda busy right now.

You always seem to see the glass as not only half full, but chipped with the obvious potential for you to cut your lip, get blood poisoning and die. I'm choosing not to search so hard for reasons to be pessimistic. Give the process - and Vlade - a chance.