Kings Interested In Trading For Otto Porter

I don't want to see us replacing more than one starter at a time. We did that in the golden years. If we replace more than one player from the starting lineup we could go back to what we were win/loss wise. I would rather keep our players and build chemistry with them than to keep trading away talent, and/or starters.

So we need wizards to start losing to nudge them to blow up the team. And of course they go on a 3 game win streak. :confused:
Exactly what I was thinking.

I think the more Washington stays in the hunt in the weak East, they won't trade Porter away.

Right now they are only 0.5 games back of the 8th seed. I get the feeling that Washington won't have a fire sale, as previously reported, unless the bottom falls off again. :(

The Kings will have to be patient and keep Shump at SF or try to develop our JJ or Williams to become a starter. We will probably have to wait until the off season to make any significant SF moves.

The Wizards just shed about 4.5 million off their Luxury Tax bill with the 3 way trade today with Cavs-Bucks-Wiz.

The Wiz are now 9.8 million on the Luxury Tax. They are trying to shed salary with smaller trade, they may not be as desperate to move Porter any more, unfortunately.

lol at your assumption that Vlade doesn't know the extreme basics of negotiation, and that you, Internet Star, do.
I am not an Internet Star, well maybe I am, but more to the point, I am a Real Life Star . ;) . My "assumption" about Vlade skills as a negotiator are rooted in evidence. Shall we review? I don't forget details, I am like an elephant when it comes to this crap. Let's go back to the Boogie trade. Vlade pulled the trigger because he assumed the Pelicans offer was "going to get worse". He was negotiating from a place of fear. The Pelicans offered two #1s plus Buddy, then lowered that offer to one #1 plus Buddy. Quick, quick, agree to the deal before they offer you Buddy and a bag of chips!

Vlade had the leverage. Vlade had the best player. Vlade was negotiating with a GM and coach fighting for their jobs. He was in the cat birds seat and didn't know it. Boogie plus Davis was a scintillating tandem in theory that was going wreck havoc on the league and transform that team from meddling to dominant. That is how the Pelicans envisioned it. You exploit that vision. He didn't. He panicked. Vlade had a team down the road that subsequently fired their GM because they let Boogie slip through their fingers. The Lakers wanted in on the action and Vlade did not play one team against the other to squeeze them.

This is a basic tenet of negotiation of which he was ignorant or incapable of implementing because his emotions got the best of him. Let me clarify. Perhaps Vlade did know how to negotiate, but in the heat of the moment, he wilted. He forgot what he may have known. With backbone and balls of steel, when you are poker playing stud you are stoic under pressure. You are calm as surface of a lake. You field multiple offers. You are willing to walk away and let the calls go to voicemail or not pick up until the 3rd, er, 5th, nay the 7th ring. :p You drop fact-based and myth-based hints that you have alternate proposals under review.

If the Kings had an offer for Randle and Ingram on the table, if Vlade would have engage a viable alternate suitor instead of scrambling with patent disregard, you don't think the Pelicans would have upped their proposal to 2 #1s Buddy and more? You better damn believe they would have! We would be sitting pretty with the Pelicans 2019 unprotected #1, a pick that could have landed us Zion with the new lottery rules! Now, Vlade has rebounded from this unfortunate bit of bumbling execution, the most important event in his tenure that subsequently has worked out well. Not because of him but in spite of him. His two minor deals since then, Hill and Temple, were winners . I applaud him for his resilience with Brandon Williams providing the intellectual and strategic reinforcement. But that does not change the past. That does not change that when he had the biggest moment of GM career, he choked.

Otto Porter is out there waiting to be had. He will be the perfect addition to our team if the price is right. Hopefully Vlade will learn from the error of his ways. He will not panic this time. He will make us proud.

If the Kings had an offer for Randle and Ingram on the table, if Vlade would have engage a viable alternate suitor instead of scrambling with patent disregard, you don't think the Pelicans would have upped their proposal to 2 #1s Buddy and more? You better damn believe they would have! We would be sitting pretty with the Pelicans 2019 unprotected #1, a pick that could have landed us Zion with the new lottery rules!
I think the consensus was that the Lakers Jim Buss would not include Ingram in any trade at that time, including for DMC. Which is why Jeannie Buss immediately fired her brother after the trade deadline. I believe the Lakers were offering D'Angelo Russell and maybe Randle for DMC. I would much rather have Buddy and the N.O. 1st rounder myself.

New Orleans pulled the 2nd 1st rounder because DMC agents told them they wouldn't re-sign with any team and wanted to become a free agent the next season. I think that was more agent sabotage to try and prevent his client from losing a super max contract than Vlade bumbling. The N.O. GM would had spoken to DMC agent before completing such a massive deal, so the sabotage would had occurred regardless.

DMC's reputation preceded him and we were not going to bring back a super high return in a trade for him. There was a high contingent of GMs that didn't want anything to do with DMC, regardless of his talent, and I am sure that N.O. GM knew that too.

Vlade had a two year plan and executed it to perfection. The Kings are way ahead of anywhere any of us would had expected 2 years ago when the DMC trade happened.

Last edited:
If we had any interest in Jabari? it's looking like we dodged a serious bullet that he had no interest in us. I also cant imagine that the Wiz would take him as any part of a trade so that we can get Otto.
This year RFA's include Oubre, Winslow, and Stanley Johnson. For those who see more games than myself, is Stanley worth a look as a potential good fit here or is he still underachieving in Detroit?

The deal may be dead, but seems the Wiz want Ariza, veteran leadership, and know they cant afford Oubre in free agency unless they unload him or Porter. I sure as crap dont know, but something is brewing in Washington. Make an offer Vlade.

I don't think that what Porter brings would A) Make that big of a difference in our on-court performance or B) be worth the money that he costs and the player/s that we would have to give up to get him. I vote no. That is to say, if I actually have a vote, which I do not.

I don't think that what Porter brings would A) Make that big of a difference in our on-court performance or B) be worth the money that he costs and the player/s that we would have to give up to get him. I vote no. That is to say, if I actually have a vote, which I do not.

The more I think about it, maybe it's worth a shot for something to do with A and B above. Besides the Kings not having a shot to really bring in anyone else of note (don't want you KD! ;)) Porter would fit the sharing is caring offense and he wouldn't necessarily impact the offensive roles for the teams best players partially because he's not really someone you expect to be a single handed game changer. He got paid way too much for what he is on his best day but his low usage, impact the game without breaking the offense style might be the only perfect fit in the long run. Also, his deal is off by 2021 so it could be worse. Not to mention the Kings need some legit size at SF.

The deal may be dead, but seems the Wiz want Ariza, veteran leadership, and know they cant afford Oubre in free agency unless they unload him or Porter. I sure as crap dont know, but something is brewing in Washington. Make an offer Vlade.
Now that the Wizards just let Oubre and his camp know they were about to trade him, I think they are going to have one unhappy camper that won’t want to re-sign with them this summer.

I think this attempted trade also showed that the Wiz want to keep Porter now. Trying to move Oubre was a sign they couldn’t afford both of them at small forward.

The Wiz has to know they screwed themselves with this botched trade. If they want veteran leadership, we can offer them KK and a 2nd rounder for Oubre. The Wiz need a center with Howard out again too.

Opens PT for Giles too!

Get it done Vlade! ;)

I also see things through the lens of the Kings being pretty good for the first time in a long time. This puts me in no rush to make a trade unless it a total no-brainer -- like Anthony Davis for cash considerations.

A trade that would get the Wizards out of the Luxury Tax would be KK and a 2nd round pick for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers. The Kings would need to release Ben to make room for the trade.

The Kings get a young starting SF with potential with Oubre. Austin River would be back up bench player on an expiring contract. Opens up PT for Giles or Skal.

The Wizards get KK to be their starting Center to fill in for Howard who is hurt again. The Wiz get out of Luxury Tax hell, especially with Wall’s super max contract kicking in next year, they avoid the repeated tax next year.

Rumor is the Wiz and Suns still working on a trade for Ariza for Rivers and a young, cheap SF swap.

Could the Kings package JJ and Ben and 2 2nd rounders for Kelly Oubre? I think this would be comparable to Wayne Selden and Dillon brooks offer that Memphis was thought to have offered and accepted by the Suns.

Ariza to the wizards for oubre/rivers. So now that they don't have to pay oubre are the set and keeping porter?
I wonder why the Suns didn't want Ourbe to begin with? He would had been the key pick up for Ariza in my eyes.

That is why the Suns and the Wizards are so clueless. Washington dumped a young, up and coming SF for a half year rental of Ariza, when they are clearly not going to win anything this year. Now the Wizards are still stuck in Luxury Tax hell and will have only a half year of Ariza to show for it, unless they move Porter now.

This could be good for the Kings though, because if the Suns didn't want Ourbe to begin with, he may be easier to sign in the summer as a free agent. Plus, Phoenix now has 3 young SF in Ourbe, Josh Jackson and Mikal Bridges, one of them won't be on the Suns next year and that will probably be Ourbe, since he will probably leave as a high priced free agent.

Also, if the Wizards have any intent to keep Ariza past this year, they may become desperate to move Porter now. Ariza is said to be a good friend of John Wall and should help him keep in line. If they plan to re-sign Ariza, they will need to move Porter ASAP.

Who knows, but I sure hope Vlade has Washington's GM on speed dial, once Porter inevitably becomes available.

Last edited:
I wonder why the Suns didn't want Ourbe to begin with? He would had been the key pick up for Ariza in my eyes.

That is why the Suns and the Wizards are so clueless. Washington dumped a young, up and coming SF for a half year rental of Ariza, when they are clearly not going to win anything this year. Now the Wizards are still stuck in Luxury Tax hell and will have only a half year of Ariza to show for it, unless they move Porter now.

This could be good for the Kings though, because if the Suns didn't want Ourbe to begin with, he may be easier to sign in the summer as a free agent. Plus, Phoenix now has 3 young SF in Ourbe, Josh Jackson and Mikal Bridges, one of them won't be on the Suns next year and that will probably be Ourbe, since he will probably leave as a high priced free agent.

Also, if the Wizards have any intent to keep Ariza past this year, they may become desperate to move Porter now. Ariza is said to be a good friend of John Wall and should help him keep in line. If they plan to re-sign Ariza, they will need to move Porter ASAP.

Who knows, but I sure hope Vlade has Washington's GM on speed dial, once Porter inevitably becomes available.
I wouldn't count on Oubre being a high priced free agent. He went into this season looking like he was going to break out and take a step forward but he's actually taken a step back. I wouldn't trade for him or sign him at this point. Justin Jackson has actually been better than him this season.

Ariza to the wizards for oubre/rivers. So now that they don't have to pay oubre are the set and keeping porter?

They might be more so resigned to it. The Wizards best bet is to hope Ariza turns their whole season around and Porter's productivity jumps as a result. I do think Porter could be a terrific fit but dudes making almost 30 million a year and giving you 13 and 6 on his top end. I think he's a bit overrated defesively but even if he were the best defender in the league that's a huge overpay.

I wouldn't count on Oubre being a high priced free agent. He went into this season looking like he was going to break out and take a step forward but he's actually taken a step back. I wouldn't trade for him or sign him at this point. Justin Jackson has actually been better than him this season.
It will be interesting to see how he works out with the Suns. They have a lot of similar types at SF right now. Are they giving up on Josh Jackson already? If they are I would love Vlade to take a shot at him. He's not looked great but the upside is still there. That could be a total coup.

Having 3 young SF's or his upcoming RFA is why I suspected Phoenix did not want Oubre in the first place. But yeah, this 2nd successful trade should put us in an improved position as a trade partner with either Phoenix or Washington for reasons that you mentioned.
Phoenix will have to move one of those players, Mikal is my wish and he was in some trouble there recently, just not sure what non major piece of ours they might want. With Ariza's experience on board and no looming Oubre free agency the Wiz should have an easier time getting below salary cap hell if they choose to move on from Porter for our expiring contracts and say JJ as a young cheap backup SF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Porter could be the difference between winning the game last night, or not. How much value you put on that is probably different than mine. I love Porter! He's a career 40% 3 pt shooter. He's an all NBA defensive team candidate, and he's a very smart player. No, he doesn't currently score a lot of points, but then he doesn't take a lot of shots. You have Beal and Wall both taking around 20 shots a game, leaving Porter with 7 to 8 shots a game. Give Porter more shots, and he'll score more points. The real upside is he's still a young player that's proven he can be a good player in the league. Yeah, he makes a lot of money, but if he were to also make us a winner, then he's worth it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Having 3 young SF's or his upcoming RFA is why I suspected Phoenix did not want Oubre in the first place. But yeah, this 2nd successful trade should put us in an improved position as a trade partner with either Phoenix or Washington for reasons that you mentioned.
Phoenix will have to move one of those players, Mikal is my wish and he was in some trouble there recently, just not sure what non major piece of ours they might want. With Ariza's experience on board and no looming Oubre free agency the Wiz should have an easier time getting below salary cap hell if they choose to move on from Porter for our expiring contracts and say JJ as a young cheap backup SF.
I'm really not interested in Josh Jackson, but I'd take Bridges in a heartbeat. I'd be shocked it the Sun's wanted to move him, but then, judging from their other moves, maybe I wouldn't be shocked. As to what we might offer, Mason or Yogi spring to mind along with Justin. We could even take Ryan Anderson off their hands with a straight up trade of Randolph for him, which would save them some money this year, but then I would want more back in the deal.

I'm really not interested in Josh Jackson, but I'd take Bridges in a heartbeat. I'd be shocked it the Sun's wanted to move him, but then, judging from their other moves, maybe I wouldn't be shocked. As to what we might offer, Mason or Yogi spring to mind along with Justin. We could even take Ryan Anderson off their hands with a straight up trade of Randolph for him, which would save them some money this year, but then I would want more back in the deal.
Your probably right that the Suns have no interest in moving Mikal Bridges, but as I recall he was high on your early draft list as well. That was before the tournament and us bolting up to the # 2 draft spot.
I don't know what we would do with Ryan Anderson at this point, but if your proposed trade landed us Mikal I'd say do it. He looks razor thin but otherwise, especially nose for defence, recon he would grow with our young squad really well.