Kings Interested In Trading For Otto Porter

WCS+Shump+2nd rounder for Porter is pretty fair imo. If they want us to take a pure garbage contract in Mahimi then they will need to give us draft picks, taking his contract alone needs a 1st round pick.

That's an awful lot of dead money to take, especially with Porter's contract, which is already bloated.

We are in a position of power to be honest. We are the ONLY team that can make a trade with Washington that takes them out of the Luxury Tax.

I wouldn't take on Mahinmi contract, unless they throw in a 1st rounder in the trade.

Thing is, we need to be realistic with how we use our cap space. Dreams of a Middleton/Thompson/Harris are really just that... dreams. We're never going to attract franchise changing talent in FA and we should stop acting like we can.

Porter is a top 75 player in the league, instantly becomes our best defensive player by a wide margin, is an elite shooter, is still young and fits perfectly with the age of the core. I think there's another level of his offensive game if he gets out of the blackhole offense that Washington runs with Beal and Wall.

Probably most importantly though is his contract runs out when it comes time to pay Fox and Giles. So if WCS is the likely piece we're sending off, by 2020, the big contracts we're paying is Buddy/Bogdan and Porter. And I'd think it's reasonable to expect that Porter won't cost as much next contract around. Just to look, let's assume Bagley is a max guy and Giles takes a huge leap:

Fox-25 mil
Bagley- 25 mil
Buddy- 18 mil?
Bogdan- 18 mil?
Porter-15 mil
Giles- 15 mil = 126 mil

Cap is at 101, but it'll be 109 next year and then 118 when it's time to pay Buddy and Bogdan. Probably not too unrealistic to see it $130mil+ by the time we have to pay Bagley. Regardless, there's a great chance to keep the above 6 together for a long time if we wanted and can sacrifice Porter if Giles becomes a max guy too.

Then we do what great teams do: build your bench through rookie contracts and vet min guys around the core.

WCS+Shump+2nd rounder for Porter is pretty fair imo. If they want us to take a pure garbage contract in Mahimi then they will need to give us draft picks, taking his contract alone needs a 1st round pick.
I think I do it with JJ or Skal instead of Shump, throw in Z-Bo or KK, take Mahinmi and a pick.

They get rid of one big contract, one bad contract the entire fanbase wants to shed, get a ton of expiring that will reduce their luxury tax, and get a few young players on cheap contracts plus a half season of WCS.

You know what, that's a lot of our crap and spare parts plus Willie who has gone back to his inconsistent self 1/4 of the way into the season and so "they can do much better"... well why haven't they?

It's also why we had to make such a horrid deal when we needed to clear space. Teams smell desperation like blood in the water.

NICE! That would be the way to do it, let them get Skal as the kicker and then pull back one of those two second round picks.
We have like 10 second round picks in the next 3 years, I would offer them Skal and 2nd rounder to lure Tomáš Satoranský from them. He would be a perfect match to play along Bodganovic in 2nd unit and a huge upgrade from Mason.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We have like 10 second round picks in the next 3 years, I would offer them Skal and 2nd rounder to lure Tomáš Satoranský from them. He would be a perfect match to play along Bodganovic in 2nd unit and a huge upgrade from Mason.
Satoransky would be a steal, he is a solid backup PG. Good size too.

I don’t get why anyone even entertains us getting a free agent it’s not happening. Middleton ain’t coming here at all he’s going back to Milwaukee or going to LA
Hope?

But your point is well taken. I get carried away in my scenarios sometimes and I usually come back an hour later and read it again only to say “that’s not happening.”

But the idea of trading for a winning (but overpaid) player who’s advanced impact stats are excellent (Porter) could help this team remain around .500 for the year.

A team with such a young core who is playing around .500 ball may be an attractive destination for a player like that. You never know.

I also had the crazy idea of trying to work a trade that lands us both Otto Porter and Gordon Hayward. I don’t know exactly how we could do it to where it would also benefit the other teams but it’s an opportunity to steal two really good/great wings without giving up a lot of assets. They are both overpaid. No doubt. But if the idea is that we’ll never sign anyone of value, I think it’s something we consider. When both are up for their next contract, I’m sure they’ll both make considerably less and when they’re contracts are up, it’s around the time that we would pay our young guys.

In the end you get two legit SF options who are unselfish and have a high BBIQ. I think they could fit well and give us a rotation like...

PG - Fox (36 min) / Bogdan (12 min)
SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Hayward (34 min) / Porter (14 min)
PF - Porter (18 min) / Bjelica (20 min) / Giles (10 min)
C - Bagley (34 min) / Giles (14 min)
*assuming Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, and Jackson would be shipped out two get those two guys

EDIT: also wanted to caveat that there’s no way Boston trades us someone like Hayward this year when they own our pick. It would likely have to be two separate trades where Porter could be had this year and Hayward during th offseason.

Ok I am on board with a trade to shore up the SF position and I really think we need a trade but some of you that have a better idea on this than I do really tell me what we are going to be getting in Otto.

I look at Shumpert and Porters numbers and wonder why the extra 2 points and 3 rebounds will cost us like 3 times more. If between them we can get 25 points and 10 rebounds on a consistent basis that would become a position of strength for us.

I guess if we do that then we can address our last position problem and thats the center spot. I find it hard to talk about since we supposedly have a gluten of bigs. KK hurt, Giles needs time, Willie being Willie .

I would love to find someone who disrupts the opponents freedom in the paint and can actually initiate a fast break off of a block or defensive stop a few times a game instead of every 3 or 4 games.

Thing is, we need to be realistic with how we use our cap space. Dreams of a Middleton/Thompson/Harris are really just that... dreams. We're never going to attract franchise changing talent in FA and we should stop acting like we can.

Porter is a top 75 player in the league, instantly becomes our best defensive player by a wide margin, is an elite shooter, is still young and fits perfectly with the age of the core. I think there's another level of his offensive game if he gets out of the blackhole offense that Washington runs with Beal and Wall.

Probably most importantly though is his contract runs out when it comes time to pay Fox and Giles. So if WCS is the likely piece we're sending off, by 2020, the big contracts we're paying is Buddy/Bogdan and Porter. And I'd think it's reasonable to expect that Porter won't cost as much next contract around. Just to look, let's assume Bagley is a max guy and Giles takes a huge leap:

Fox-25 mil
Bagley- 25 mil
Buddy- 18 mil?
Bogdan- 18 mil?
Porter-15 mil
Giles- 15 mil = 126 mil

Cap is at 101, but it'll be 109 next year and then 118 when it's time to pay Buddy and Bogdan. Probably not too unrealistic to see it $130mil+ by the time we have to pay Bagley. Regardless, there's a great chance to keep the above 6 together for a long time if we wanted and can sacrifice Porter if Giles becomes a max guy too.

Then we do what great teams do: build your bench through rookie contracts and vet min guys around the core.
Actually, the dead money I was referring to was Mahinmi's contract.

I'm on board with trading for Otto Porter, so long as we don't include any of Fox, Hield, Bogdan, Giles or Bagley or a 1st round pick in the trade.

WCS would be the "ace in the hole" in a Porter trade. I would try not to include WCS, but if its required, I would probably do it. This would opens up spots and minutes for Bagley and Giles. Keeping WCS would probably be a big over pay this summer anyways.

Last edited:
Ok I am on board with a trade to shore up the SF position and I really think we need a trade but some of you that have a better idea on this than I do really tell me what we are going to be getting in Otto.

I look at Shumpert and Porters numbers and wonder why the extra 2 points and 3 rebounds will cost us like 3 times more. If between them we can get 25 points and 10 rebounds on a consistent basis that would become a position of strength for us.

I guess if we do that then we can address our last position problem and thats the center spot. I find it hard to talk about since we supposedly have a gluten of bigs. KK hurt, Giles needs time, Willie being Willie .

I would love to find someone who disrupts the opponents freedom in the paint and can actually initiate a fast break off of a block or defensive stop a few times a game instead of every 3 or 4 games.
Except it doesn't really work like that to add their numbers like that. They'll be on the court together at times. Still want Shump though.

The belief is that Porter could flourish. Obviously if people took his numbers at face value there would be no interest whatsoever, but nobody, including Wizards fans, take his numbers at face value considering the factors and how he was always an afterthought on the floor even when given a max deal.

I’m not concerned about his deal. It’s not that long and the Kings were trying to sign him to it anyway.

Wiz forum doesn't seem interested at all in a straight porter dump. It's not enough salary shed to allow them to sign anyone. BUT if we take on Mahinmi that could get it done.

Kings should do that. No one is coming along who we can better spend that money on. If wiz want to make playoffs this year Bjelica and shump can also be involved in the deal. Would love to see a lottery protected 1st coming back our way to even out the sides after we take on that clunky Ian deal.
There getting WCS not dumping salary

Washington will have no interest in WCS. He’s maddingly inconsistent, Has regressed to the mean over the past month. Poor rebounder and rim protector. He will also be 26 next season. Wizards will probably want more than a salty dump. They would want young talent and picks.

Washington will have no interest in WCS. He’s maddingly inconsistent, Has regressed to the mean over the past month. Poor rebounder and rim protector. He will also be 26 next season. Wizards will probably want more than a salty dump. They would want young talent and picks.
They can want whatever, they are in the luxury tax and have no way to get out for years without dumping salary. They aren't getting equal value for someone to take on a contract.

Of course they want young talent and picks, but they aren’t getting them unless that young talent is low potential or the picks are second rounders.

Kings would only actively go after Porter at this juncture if they thought there was a chance they could get him relatively free as far as value to value. If the Wizards are going to pretend they can still be a contender or that Porter having a smaller role and low usage at max is going to net them a different third best player in trade then they can just go ahead and keep Porter.

Lol this is false you act like WCS is is pure garbage. Washington can’t sign anybody and is trotting our Mahinmi at center

Actually, the dead money I was referring to was Mahinmi's contract.

I'm on board with trading for Otto Porter, so long as we don't include any of Fox, Hield, Bogdan, Giles or Bagley in the trade.

WCS would be the "ace in the hole" in a Porter trade. I would try not to include WCS, but if its required, I would probably do it. This would opens up spots and minutes for Bagley and Giles. WCS would probably be an over pay this summer anyways.
Right, taking on Mahinmi to facilitate us securing Porter is great use of our cap space. His deal runs out after next season, where we don't have to pay anybody. So:

Kings get:
Mahinmi
Porter

Wizards get:
WCS
ZBO
Shumpert
McLemore

All this is predicated on the Wizards continuing to lose. If they continue to suck for the next month with no hope of righting the ship, clearing $40 mil from your books, having the option to actually retain some of your RFA (Oubre, WCS, Satoransky) or UFA (Rivers, Kieff, Green), and a good lottery pick is a pretty decent start to your 2019 summer. The alternative is staying put, paying a fortune in the repeater tax to field a worse team as they'll lose most of their rotational guys and adding a lottery pick to it.

For us, it's being intelligent with our cap space and adding a quality player we don't have a prayer of getting in FA with Porter. I think even with Mahinmi's deal, we'd still have enough to get a rotational guy this summer too.

Reading the SBnation Wizards thread on this rumor and mainly it’s Willie but they throw Buddy’s name out there with such disdain as if he would be poor compensation for Porter. Made me laugh at how some fans overvalue their players or write off players of others. The numbers don’t look good for Otto there. Buddy(The SG) rebounds a little better and has scored a lot better. Luckily, we blame the Wizards.

A few seem to grasp that all of their top 3 is leaving on a salary dump one way or the other. Wizards have a lot of work to do before they can even start a rebuild

Reading the SBnation Wizards thread on this rumor and mainly it’s Willie but they throw Buddy’s name out there with such disdain as if he would be poor compensation for Porter. The numbers don’t look good for Otto there. Buddy(The SG) rebounds a little better and has scored a lot better. Luckily, we blame the Wizards.

A few seem to grasp that all of their top 3 is leaving on a salary dump one way or the the other. Wizards have a lot of work to do before they can even start a rebuild
lol there getting WCS/JJ if a trade is made

I know Shumpert is an easy throw-in in all these trades, but I could see the FO being hesistant about trading him. Seems like he has taken on the veteran leadership role and he is having a career year. With Bogi playing more PG, Kings need any solid wing they can get.
If WCS is in the deal, I wouldnt mind trying out something like this: Fox-Hield-Shumpert-Porter-Bagley with Bogi and Beli playing big minutes of the bench.

I know Shumpert is an easy throw-in in all these trades, but I could see the FO being hesistant about trading him. Seems like he has taken on the veteran leadership role and he is having a career year. With Bogi playing more PG, Kings need any solid wing they can get.
If WCS is in the deal, I wouldnt mind trying out something like this: Fox-Hield-Shumpert-Porter-Bagley with Bogi and Beli playing big minutes of the bench.
Sounds like a lineup that would run teams out of the gym. I’d be concerned about those physical teams that would bruise up that front line though.

Sounds like a lineup that would run teams out of the gym. I’d be concerned about those physical teams that would bruise up that front line though.
Good point. But I think you could easily get a bruising back up big for such instances. There are many big men available as teams go smaller. Its a market inefficiency. So I'd rather stock up on wings than big men.

Of course fans don’t think it’s enough. They are not the ones paying the tax bill.

This is one of those situations where I think the fans will be disappointed with the return because the value to the owner has basically no value to the fans.
Unless ownership straight wants a lower payroll and are unconcerned about competing, then trading otto alone doesn't make enough room for the wiz to sign anyone in the offseason so there isn't any point in dumping otto. I thi k that is the reasoning considering otto has any value at his salary