Kings in Orlando pre-playing thread

• Thread starter NBC Sports BayArea
  • Start date

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The Players can't go to the lobby? If this is the case different rules need to be made to get the food delivered to where the Players can go.
I guess. Or there is a method to have it delivered to their room like normal food service? But with new cases at 15,000 per day in Florida, the more "outside" contact you have the higher the chance it can spread to hotel workers and then to players.

Or they just eat what is provided? I mean, it isn't like they are being served gruel in a gulag. I'm sure the teams have input on the available food, and the players have voiced their preferences.

I guess. Or there is a method to have it delivered to their room like normal food service? But with new cases at 15,000 per day in Florida, the more "outside" contact you have the higher the chance it can spread to hotel workers and then to players.

Or they just eat what is provided? I mean, it isn't like they are being served gruel in a gulag. I'm sure the teams have input on the available food, and the players have voiced their preferences.
Some of those pictures would leave me hungry. And I am average height and definitely not an athlete.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Some of those pictures would leave me hungry. And I am average height and definitely not an athlete.
I haven't been watching those details or seen any pictures. I guess I just don't care enough to follow the minutiae. If that is the case then I understand. But you would think that they would have worked that out before getting hundreds of NBA players and staff down there and into rooms.

I haven't been watching those details or seen any pictures. I guess I just don't care enough to follow the minutiae. If that is the case then I understand. But you would think that they would have worked that out before getting hundreds of NBA players and staff down there and into rooms.
Someone may have posted it here. I don't remember. I didn't go look for it. One picture had next to nothing and then another had the rest of the meal. Supposedly only for the first couple days. I was a little surprised. But then again, who knows if it was a spoof.

The photos I saw (somewhere) were of the WNBA and their sub-par facility.
But even if the NBA was a step or two above that, that still leaves something to be desired for players on strict diets or with high dietary standards.
Also, I must say I'm disappointed in Holmes. For maybe the first time. But I also realize that we don't have all the info that could help us to understand whether he was careless, selfish, or a victim of the NBA's bubble rules that probably are not clearly communicated ("see page 26, paragraph 4 of version 7.5 or later, plus check for addendums and errata sheets from the resource library after getting permission to access the library following an 8 day quarantine and 3 personal references from people who don't know you...").

Last edited:
Wish all the guys a healthy recovery, but how does this factors into the lineups right out the gate?

I anticipated HB maybe playing the 4 for these 8 games, with Bazemore at the 3. But not sure they go that route if Holmes and HB aren't there at practice to get that lineup running smoothly. Bagley, Giles and Bjelica do not bring the same elements to the game. Maybe you do the HB, Bazemore and Holmes lineup just for the defense and hope you work the offense out on the fly. This will be interesting.

Wish all the guys a healthy recovery, but how does this factors into the lineups right out the gate?

I anticipated HB maybe playing the 4 for these 8 games, with Bazemore at the 3. But not sure they go that route if Holmes and HB aren't there at practice to get that lineup running smoothly. Bagley, Giles and Bjelica do not bring the same elements to the game. Maybe you do the HB, Bazemore and Holmes lineup just for the defense and hope you work the offense out on the fly. This will be interesting.
it’s not just the practice it is HB has no chance to get in shape. You aren’t allowed to exercise in the 14 day window and Barnes has a 2 day quarantine upon arriving.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The photos I saw (somewhere) were of the WNBA and their sub-par facility.
But even if the NBA was a step or two above that, that still leaves something to be desired for players on strict diets or with high dietary standards.
Also, I must say I'm disappointed in Holmes. For maybe the first time. But I also realize that we don't have all the info that could help us to understand whether he was careless, selfish, or a victim of the NBA's bubble rules that probably are not clearly communicated ("see page 26, paragraph 4 of version 7.5 or later, plus check for addendums and errata sheets from the resource library after getting permission to access the library following an 8 day quarantine and 3 personal references from people who don't know you...").
I'm not disappointed in him. He made a mistake most likely because he simply didn't think it through. And, as you say, it's quite likely all the rules, regulations, etc. weren't adequately communicated.

Either way, I think his mom handled the situation perfectly. (Reason #312 why i like the Holmes family soooooo much.)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I wish. I think a lot of people need a good distraction right about now. But unfortunately the NBA feels the need to insert politics into their sports entertainment, so we won’t be able to be fully distracted from anything.

I just hope our KINGS are distracted enough to play some good ball.
I agree completely. I can't turn on one news station or for that matter any sports station without hearing about social issues, so a little distraction would be a good thing in my opinion. Can I just watch some good basketball without it being used for some political agenda?

I'm not disappointed in him. He made a mistake most likely because he simply didn't think it through. And, as you say, it's quite likely all the rules, regulations, etc. weren't adequately communicated.

Either way, I think his mom handled the situation perfectly. (Reason #312 why i like the Holmes family soooooo much.)
For real. People in the thread are making way too big a deal about this when this easily looks like a "brain fart" situation where it's not something we'd actively think about being wrong or breaking the rules.

If anything, good on the NBA though for enforcing. These are the kind of measures they need to have to get through this summer of play.

It's worrying that we've lost four players from activity for anywhere from 10-14 days and meanwhile nothing from the teams we are fighting agaisnt(Memphis, NO, Portland, San Antonio). That puts them at a big advantage given you must hit the ground running.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's worrying that we've lost four players from activity for anywhere from 10-14 days and meanwhile nothing from the teams we are fighting agaisnt(Memphis, NO, Portland, San Antonio). That puts them at a big advantage given you must hit the ground running.
Well, the Spurs are missing Aldridge because of shoulder surgery.

I agree completely. I can't turn on one news station or for that matter any sports station without hearing about social issues, so a little distraction would be a good thing in my opinion. Can I just watch some good basketball without it being used for some political agenda?
If you think TV was bad enough, even the NBA video games are filled with some kind of social messaging and LBJ bootlicking nowadays.

(Note to mods:edited to a more family friendly term)

Last edited:
Okay here are Buddy’s quotes from his interview today.....

“I had a little head cold and I had chills for one night,” Hield said. “Other than that, I was fine. When I got to Sac (to report for workouts), I didn’t have no symptoms, I was just working out already. I always take weekends off, so I just had a head cold and some chills for a day and I was able to take the weekend off, but that’s my daily routine. On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, I was back to get after it, and I found out I tested positive. Then I had to go back into quarantine. I had a basketball goal. I was still working out. I didn’t follow the procedures because I didn’t feel nothing wrong with me.

“I’ve been trying to find ways to get out,” Hield said. “I’m going to do something like El Chapo, build a tunnel under the hotel so I can sneak my ass out. I’m finding ways to get around it. There’s ways to get around everything. You just have to figure it out.

anyone want to bet Buddy F’s up and ends up in a 10 day quarantine like Holmes?

I wish. I think a lot of people need a good distraction right about now. But unfortunately the NBA feels the need to insert politics into their sports entertainment, so we won’t be able to be fully distracted from anything.

I just hope our KINGS are distracted enough to play some good ball.
meh, nothing unfortunate about it. All of this goes hand in hand and the NBA cares about the people playing this sport

They aren't robots. But i'll leave it there and not derail the thread! I'm SUPER excited for basketball's return. Go
KINGS!!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Does it feel like the kings have an abnormal amount of guys, in relation to other teams, with covid?
Len
Buddy
Barnes
Parker
And then Holmes being quarantined for leaving the bubble
If you agree with Buddy that it's better to get it now and recover in time to play in the bubble than to get it in a week and miss games because of the 14 day rule, maybe this is an advantage? As long as nobody new gets infected we should have the full roster in time for our first game on July 31st. The loss of practice time is unfortunate but there's still 2 weeks before play resumes and extra reps for Giles and Bagley isn't a bad thing either.