[Game] Kings @ Hornets - Thursday, Jan. 17 - 4PT/7PT

Pretty certain the Kings flew in on Wednesday.

That said, jet lag is real, but it depends on the person's schedule. As an undergrad, I spent a summer in Philly and it took me a week to adjust to the time change.

As an adult, I've traveled to and worked from Hawaii to the east coast (waking up at 3 am Hawaii time) to work remotely. Made no impact. Adjusted seamlessly--but it is because my wife and I am usually up by 4 amish daily.

Ultimately, it just depends on the person and that person's normal schedule.
I saw IG videos of them boarding their jet on Wed. Don’t think they would ever fly day of especially to one of the farthest points from Sac

Bagley was awful last night. He played 23mins: 15pts 8rebs 1asts 3 tos on 6-11 FG.
On the surface that might look semi good, but stats don't tell the story. He was our worst big man. He hurt us on both ends. On offense he would bump into players including Giles and WCS and end up causing horrible floor spacing. He made questionable decisions when he had the ball, a few times forcing up a bad shot. He didn't play within the flow of the offense. He had a usage of 29.6% highest for the team. Just for comparison, Buddy was at 22.5 and Bogdan at 23.4.
His defense was worse than his offense. His def rtg was 133.3! For context, Willie was at 103.5. He provided no rim protection as Tony Parker finished at will. Marvin also had no answer for MKG down on the block. He just powered him with his strength then used his quickness to put up shots. Marvin got abused on defense wherever he was. There are a lot of growing pains with Bagley. You can tell his bball IQ is raw. His basketball skills are raw. Everything is a work in progress, but the game has to slow down for him. Without Willie and Bjelica out there, you could tell how lost both Bagley and Giles were.

If playoffs are our goal, it would be best to keep Bagley as an energy man off the bench instead of trying to feature him in our offense. Even if Bjelica has another night like tonight where he only goes 1-5 from the floor, he'd still bring more value than Bagley as a floor spreader, passer, defender, defensive rebounder, and IQ.

It was jet-lag city. They just didn't have the energy. It was very apparent with Fox. He pushed the ball only once during the entire game. I don't understand why they didn't fly to Charlotte yesterday as opposed to today, but they must have a good reason. The only experience I've had similar to what they did was when I was in my 20s (in good shape) and flew from L.A. to Atlanta and on the same day in Atlanta played basketball with my friend in a pick-up game. Man, I was tired.

No excuses for the Detroit game. They better be primed and ready because Blake Griffin isn't going to be taking another night off.
I feel like I've heard every excuse possible when we lose on the road. Back to backs (even though the back to back was Sacramento, then Phoenix), altitude changes (not in Denver), jet lag (even though these guys are the best conditioned athletes in the world, flying private first class in basically Lazy-Boys, and are in the their 20's), etc. If our only hope of winning on the road is a non back to back, where our guys get an extra day of rest, and the altitude conditions are perfectly ideal then we are in trouble long term.

I'll give credit to the Hornets with their stingy defense, and jet lag. Game was frustrating to watch cuz we were in it but couldnt make a play for the life of us.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I feel like I've heard every excuse possible when we lose on the road. Back to backs (even though the back to back was Sacramento, then Phoenix), altitude changes (not in Denver), jet lag (even though these guys are the best conditioned athletes in the world, flying private first class in basically Lazy-Boys, and are in the their 20's), etc. If our only hope of winning on the road is a non back to back, where our guys get an extra day of rest, and the altitude conditions are perfectly ideal then we are in trouble long term.
I view it as a short term problem, not a longer term one. There are reasons that veteran (not old) teams do well on back to back's in my view: 1) they are more efficient in their play, (less energy yielding better results), and 2) they have better stamina. People talk like 19-20 year old's have fantastic stamina. They don't, not relative to 25-31 year old's. You typically don't find 19-21 year old marathoners coming away with gold medals at the olympics. https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20833515/whats-the-ideal-age-for-marathoning/

I don't like it either. I'd love to see the high-octane play every game, but it's just not realistic. The Kings are a somewhat tired team right now, thus the declining pace compared to other teams. They'll bounce back. If you could monitor the collective fatigue of a team I would expect it goes in waves, and the Kings look to have just experienced a "trough" in one of those waves.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Pretty certain the Kings flew in on Wednesday.

That said, jet lag is real, but it depends on the person's schedule. As an undergrad, I spent a summer in Philly and it took me a week to adjust to the time change.

As an adult, I've traveled to and worked from Hawaii to the east coast (waking up at 3 am Hawaii time) to work remotely. Made no impact. Adjusted seamlessly--but it is because my wife and I am usually up by 4 amish daily.

Ultimately, it just depends on the person and that person's normal schedule.
Kayte said they flew the morning of the day they played.

Kayte said they flew the morning of the day they played.
Don’t think that’s accurate. Again the Kings IG had videos of them boarding the jet on Wed. Unless they flew to a halfway point, it wouldn’t make sense. Even if they departed at 6am yesterday, they wouldn’t have arrived until 2-3pm local time. Don’t think they would do that

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Don’t think that’s accurate. Again the Kings IG had videos of them boarding the jet on Wed. Unless they flew to a halfway point, it wouldn’t make sense. Even if they departed at 6am yesterday, they wouldn’t have arrived until 2-3pm local time. Don’t think they would do that
That's what she said. I replayed it several times to make sure I heard correctly. Maybe she reported incorrectly. It didn't make sense to me why they would do that.

It is getting annoying hearing the excuses about travel/B2B every time the Kings lose a game now. They lost against Charlotte because they got outplayed (mostly in the 2nd quarter). The offense wasn't very good for most of the game and the 2nd quarter defense was terrible.

You are what your record says you are. The Kings are a slightly above average fringe playoff team this year. They are an exciting team to watch and they are on the rise absolutely........but they are far from a finished product. Much as with every team around .500 they have flaws that need fixed. They should be consistently better next year.

People (Kings media included) need to stop pretending this is an upper echelon playoff team that only loses because of factors outside of their control (i.e. travel). More often than not they lose because the other team executes better.

People like announcers and analysts love to talk about keys to the game. Against the Hornets.

1. Slow down Kemba Walker
2. Defensive rebounds.
The Kings did neither.

That's what she said. I replayed it several times to make sure I heard correctly. Maybe she reported incorrectly. It didn't make sense to me why they would do that.
Doug and Grant were late on Wed. Late in that they weren’t able to start their show. The reason?

There was a bus issue where their bus followed the team’s bus to a gym in the Carolinas. The second bus should’ve taken them to the team’s hotel. So whatever Kate said, she was likely off.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It is getting annoying hearing the excuses about travel/B2B every time the Kings lose a game now. They lost against Charlotte because they got outplayed (mostly in the 2nd quarter). The offense wasn't very good for most of the game and the 2nd quarter defense was terrible.

You are what your record says you are. The Kings are a slightly above average fringe playoff team this year. They are an exciting team to watch and they are on the rise absolutely........but they are far from a finished product. Much as with every team around .500 they have flaws that need fixed. They should be consistently better next year.

People (Kings media included) need to stop pretending this is an upper echelon playoff team that only loses because of factors outside of their control (i.e. travel). More often than not they lose because the other team executes better.
No one has said they are an upper echelon playoff team (unless it's Hammer:p). This team is a team that is a very low seeded playoff team or a team that just barely doesn't get in. They are on the cusp. That's usually where .500 teams are.

Bagley was awful last night. He played 23mins: 15pts 8rebs 1asts 3 tos on 6-11 FG.
On the surface that might look semi good, but stats don't tell the story. He was our worst big man. He hurt us on both ends. On offense he would bump into players including Giles and WCS and end up causing horrible floor spacing. He made questionable decisions when he had the ball, a few times forcing up a bad shot. He didn't play within the flow of the offense. He had a usage of 29.6% highest for the team. Just for comparison, Buddy was at 22.5 and Bogdan at 23.4.
His defense was worse than his offense. His def rtg was 133.3! For context, Willie was at 103.5. He provided no rim protection as Tony Parker finished at will. Marvin also had no answer for MKG down on the block. He just powered him with his strength then used his quickness to put up shots. Marvin got abused on defense wherever he was. There are a lot of growing pains with Bagley. You can tell his bball IQ is raw. His basketball skills are raw. Everything is a work in progress, but the game has to slow down for him. Without Willie and Bjelica out there, you could tell how lost both Bagley and Giles were.

If playoffs are our goal, it would be best to keep Bagley as an energy man off the bench instead of trying to feature him in our offense. Even if Bjelica has another night like tonight where he only goes 1-5 from the floor, he'd still bring more value than Bagley as a floor spreader, passer, defender, defensive rebounder, and IQ.
Maybe they should pair WCS with Harry and Bagley with Bjelly rather than having to youngins with the two vets, I don't know how fixable Bagley's tunnel vision is that's the only concern I have about him moving forward as a player rest of it seems there.

Marvin is raw and gets lost on offense. This is true. Which is what makes his numbers more impressive.

They played the Hornets less than a week before. Scouting happens. Teams adjust.

Tony Parker scoring at the rim is really a guard issue and it pulls the big men out of position trying to cover for the guards. Kemba and Parker killed us in that respect.

MKG and Marvin Williams were ok. But no better than Bagley in this game. That was a wash.

Bjelica doesn't spread the floor if he doesn't hit shots. He didn't this game. He was no help.

Bottom line is that the team as a whole didn't play well or except for a couple of guys. Bagley and Hield were the ones who actually played their usual game. So I while I agree with the assessment of some of Bagleys weaknesses, this was a team loss.

Bagley and Buddy will be our go to offensive weapons in the future. Fox isn’t a natural scorer but he’s good for 20 a game in his prime easily.

Bagley wants the ball literally every possession. The man has so much confidence in himself and the time will come when there won’t be a player who can stop him. You can see it in his eyes and his demeanor. His game just isn’t ready yet for prime time but it will be.

Marvin is raw and gets lost on offense. This is true. Which is what makes his numbers more impressive.

Bjelica doesn't spread the floor if he doesn't hit shots. He didn't this game. He was no help.

Bottom line is that the team as a whole didn't play well or except for a couple of guys. Bagley and Hield were the ones who actually played their usual game. So I while I agree with the assessment of some of Bagleys weaknesses, this was a team loss.
That is not necessarily true, as his man always sticks to him whether he is hitting or not hitting. Case in point, a play from this game where Fox is running a fast break and Buddy and Bjelica are running on the wing, and one defender is back and he chooses to go to Bjelica leaving Buddy open for three! I mean that is ultimate spreading the floor when the defender chooses to leave BUDDY HIELD open. :) (video below is at that play)