[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies, 11/28/21 3pm Pacific 6pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team ain’t talented enough to not play defense. Even against an equally devoid of talent Memphis team.

Turned off the game in the 2q. No reason to turn it back on.
Well we recorded it (we live on a Christmas street and we’re trying to get up and running by Friday) but as soon as we were down by 20, We saved time by just zipping right through it.. just like that all the way to the end….. so good call to shut it off!

I've been a Metu advocate, and thought him replace Moe in the starting lineup could help us, since Moe wasn't giving us anything offensively. Boy, is he making me eat crow.

While I appreciate his 11 rebounds in 23 minutes on a day we got outrebounded 68-49 (yikes!), he can't be taking 11 shots in that time, particularly when he's shooting 2-11. And it's not just this game. He comes in with a gunner's mentality. I wanted Moe to be a bit more aggressive (with improved efficiency hopefully), but Metu needs to really dial it down, since he is stealing shots from Fox/Banes/Hali/Holmes when he starts and jacks up without restrait.

I think Bagley has made a case for starting when Barnes is out. Metu's shoot first mentality might be better suited off the bench, as long as Buddy gets his.

Once everyone returns, I would like to see a starting lineup of Holmes/Barnes/King/Hali/Fox, and see how they roll.

I've been a Metu advocate, and thought him replace Moe in the starting lineup could help us, since Moe wasn't giving us anything offensively. Boy, is he making me eat crow.

While I appreciate his 11 rebounds in 23 minutes on a day we got outrebounded 68-49 (yikes!), he can't be taking 11 shots in that time, particularly when he's shooting 2-11. And it's not just this game. He comes in with a gunner's mentality. I wanted Moe to be a bit more aggressive (with improved efficiency hopefully), but Metu needs to really dial it down, since he is stealing shots from Fox/Banes/Hali/Holmes when he starts and jacks up without restrait.

I think Bagley has made a case for starting when Barnes is out. Metu's shoot first mentality might be better suited off the bench, as long as Buddy gets his.

Once everyone returns, I would like to see a starting lineup of Holmes/Barnes/King/Hali/Fox, and see how they roll.
King does look like he has a good stroke and nice touch on his shot. Even when they don't go in, they look like they've got a legit chance to. I expect him to make shots once he settles in at the NBA level

Entity

Hall of Famer
I was listening to Memphis broadcast team. Guy said I don’t want to pretend I am a basketball genius here but what in the heck kind of offense is this the kings are running?

I was listening to Memphis broadcast team. Guy said I don’t want to pretend I am a basketball genius here but what in the heck kind of offense is this the kings are running?
They appear to throw a couple of patty cake passes at the top of the key and then whomever ends up with the ball goes one on one.

They also try pin downs for buddy but he can never shake his man so fox ends up going one on one.

That's about it for now.

I was hoping to not see another low energy blowout once Luke was gone. But that didn't last long. Well they did do tripple overtime the other night though. I hope they get a work around before the games on the road so they aren't so out of it.

I’ve been thinking that ever since Walton became the Kings’ Head Coach. Gentry doesn’t seem to want to make fundamental changes to the scheme.

When Barnes is out, Hali has to step up his offensive game. He needs to borderline force the issue. We know he doesn’t like to take bad shots and is not a one on one guy but he has to find his shot when guys are out or struggling.
Yeah, I wonder if it's a confidence thing now that defenders are closing in on him faster and he doesn't think he'll shoot the same rate or something? But Hali is far and away the 2nd best shooter on the team behind Buddy and on a team with a Fox/Holmes (non/inconsistent spacers), he needs to be launching these open shots and not trying to create all the time. The irony is that once he starts launching a bit, it'll give him a more clear path to the rim where he can create easy shots.

We don't need him launching 10 3's a game like Buddy, but he should pretty consistently be in the 6- 8 range every game. T. Davis for gods sakes, who's played 450 less minutes, only has 24 less 3's taken Hali. Hali is 5th on total 3PA on the team. He's got to be more selfish and take on that spacer role if the starting lineup wants to remain successful

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't think this game had anything to do with scheme. Ninety-nine percent of the time it's about defensive effort. The "tell" for me at the beginning of every game is always Fox. He's the best player, and as the best player's defensive effort goes, so goes the team. This game was no different. Fox was nonexistent on defense from the start, just pretending. (He's done this also in prior games). Early in the game he was switched on Brooks and his defense was almost clownish, putting up no resistance whatsoever. Brooks waltzed in for a layup. What is up with that? No respect for Brooks? Laziness? No will to win? It's really mystifying that a player of his caliber would be so cavalier about playing the game. In my opinion, this endemic inconsistency will continue with this team as long as we see this up and down defensive effort from Fox. Either Fox has to change his attitude, or we need to find another "best" player to take his place.

He’s a youngster that is still playing in the early stages of just his 2nd NBA season, so I definitely take that into account when evaluating his play.

I do think that he will improve his game and expand his skill set to address some of his shortcomings, but for now he needs to better recognize his own opportunities to score - like wide open 3s that he is very capable of making at a good percentage.

This Kings squad isn’t talented enough for him to defer to others as much as he does. Sometimes, the team just needs him to make a bucket - especially when the offense is sputtering (as it so often does).
He was already fairly developed and not a super young player/raw player to begin with. I think the one thing that he can and needs to work on is more mass, and that will go a long way. He did a bit this offseason but you can see teams are able to push him around still. Him taking open shots is something that can change, him adapting to being a lead on ball attack player that doesn't struggle against pressure one on one or when double teamed is something that will be very hard and probably not smart to change at this point. Especially if it means wiping away a lot of his positive approaches to his game as a team player because for him he's still usually making the smart play. The problem is the offense is starting with him and teams are getting the Kings to waste clock on a lot of those possessions. So far the best aspects of Mitchell and Haliburton are their role player tendencies which are likely ingrained at this point. Mitchell has more of a scorers mentality but he's still more of a player that will defer when defense orient themselves his way.

*Team lacks shooters*
*Hali is one of our only good outside shooters*

Hali: yeah Ima pass on this wide open 3 so Davion and Metu can take a contested one instead

Metu meanwhile clearly has no qualms jacking shots like he's Buddy Hield or something
I think moving Haliburton back off the ball more would make things run a lot smoother. Fox ain't helping him off the ball and he ain't helping the offense by circling back out of pick and roll when teams press up.

they never should have gotten Thompson in the first place.
I didn't watch a lot of the Celtics last season but I saw highlights where TT looked really positive. Then I heard blurbs about his pick and roll defense being the reason he wasn't so desired. I can see why. He was somewhat bad in Cleveland but holy cow, his pnr defense combined with the Kings drop coverage is some of the worst we've seen recently.

I don't think this game had anything to do with scheme. Ninety-nine percent of the time it's about defensive effort. The "tell" for me at the beginning of every game is always Fox. He's the best player, and as the best player's defensive effort goes, so goes the team. This game was no different. Fox was nonexistent on defense from the start, just pretending. (He's done this also in prior games). Early in the game he was switched on Brooks and his defense was almost clownish, putting up no resistance whatsoever. Brooks waltzed in for a layup. What is up with that? No respect for Brooks? Laziness? No will to win? It's really mystifying that a player of his caliber would be so cavalier about playing the game. In my opinion, this endemic inconsistency will continue with this team as long as we see this up and down defensive effort from Fox. Either Fox has to change his attitude, or we need to find another "best" player to take his place.
They don't really play a defensive effort scheme though, they zone out of or play a deep drop on pick and roll which is what is killing the Kings this season. When they do play pressure defense the effort seems to be there. Mysterious. Not.

They don't really play a defensive effort scheme though, they zone out of or play a deep drop on pick and roll which is what is killing the Kings this season. When they do play pressure defense the effort seems to be there. Mysterious. Not.
Lets just tank and hope we get a star lol

Last edited:
You can't pressure the ball when the team's effort is 100% focused on the offensive side of the ball.

I think moving Haliburton back off the ball more would make things run a lot smoother. Fox ain't helping him off the ball and he ain't helping the offense by circling back out of pick and roll when teams press up.
Fox on ball, the only person that he helps is himself. Hali on the ball, he helps the other four players on the court with him, especially Fox, who is unable to take advantage of it, because he's a below average shooter.

All great points. I've noticed this as well. Last year, I really thought he had that killer instinct, will to win type attitude. This year it's completely different. Yesterday when they got down like 11 really early, I saw him laughing with one of the Memphis players. I feel like true competitors would never do that in that moment. They'd be pissed at their horrible start and be focused.

He's really looking like he's going through the motions, collecting his money now. I just feel like something is off....maybe it's personal? More likely, he's realized he's in "basketball hell" and he's depressed!

All great points. I've noticed this as well. Last year, I really thought he had that killer instinct, will to win type attitude. This year it's completely different. Yesterday when they got down like 11 really early, I saw him laughing with one of the Memphis players. I feel like true competitors would never do that in that moment. They'd be pissed at their horrible start and be focused.

He's really looking like he's going through the motions, collecting his money now. I just feel like something is off....maybe it's personal? More likely, he's realized he's in "basketball hell" and he's depressed!
Guaranteed money separates the Lebrons from the Wiggins. It’s early, but the weak signals are pointing one way.

I’d say he’s just used to losing. I’ve been on teams where losing was normal and you just go through the motions when you know your team isn’t gonna win most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.