Kings expected to sign Mike Brown to long-term 10 million dollar per year extension

He made the playoffs one year, then missed the next. I really don’t get the hustle to get it done right now from our end. I get it from his end. We miss again this coming season, then what?

That said, he’s better than Walton, Natt, Theus, Corbin, Smart, Ancient Karl, Yogurt and the rest (minus Malone) so it could be much much worse.
It's about doing things right as a franchise. The last good coach we had, we for some reason fired mid-season because our best player got sick. You're supposed to reward your coach that's lead you to your 2 best seasons over a 18 year span.

Haven't really sat down and thought about Brown's coach rank, but he's easily top 12 in my book and our team has responded extremely well to him. Not to mention a unanimous COY and as I said, our 2 best seasons in long time.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It's about doing things right as a franchise. The last good coach we had, we for some reason fired mid-season because our best player got sick. You're supposed to reward your coach that's lead you to your 2 best seasons over a 18 year span.

Haven't really sat down and thought about Brown's coach rank, but he's easily top 12 in my book and our team has responded extremely well to him. Not to mention a unanimous COY and as I said, our 2 best seasons in long time.
Best coach in a long time yes, but we can’t let the previous 17 years of failure purple-tint our lenses. As it stands, he has a 50% success rate. We didn’t get any better in season two, and you could argue we regressed. I don’t see why a third season can't be used as final judgement before the extension. If he has faith in himself, he probably gets an even bigger bag if season 3 goes according to what a lot of people believe this team is capable of.

(This is all invalid if he’s on a 3 year deal, which I don’t believe he is. You do want to avoid the lame duck scenario)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There was a mutual option on year 4.

imho that's worse than lame duck.
That moves it into a grey zone and makes getting something done now more acceptable.

It’s not like it’s the end of the world if we have him long term (I mean, we stuck with Walton for how long?) Just thinking out loud how everything will seem if Season 3 is closer to Season 2 than that magical first.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That moves it into a grey zone and makes getting something done now more acceptable.

It’s not like it’s the end of the world if we have him long term (I mean, we stuck with Walton for how long?) Just thinking out loud how everything will seem if Season 3 is closer to Season 2 than that magical first.
I'll just be honest that I don't think he deserved a raise after this year but if he rebounds and someone decided to double his pay after we got cheap can you imagine the egg we'd have on our face thinking we could just opt in to year 4 but he walked? I'm sure that was the cost of doing business for putting our own option in year 4 which I imagine Vivek insisted on doing after Walton.

Coach salaries are getting out of control, it's fair market value for him.

I'll just be honest that I don't think he deserved a raise after this year but if he rebounds and someone decided to double his pay after we got cheap can you imagine the egg we'd have on our face thinking we could just opt in to year 4 but he walked? I'm sure that was the cost of doing business for putting our own option in year 4 which I imagine Vivek insisted on doing after Walton.

Thinking about next year and it feels like front office has been good but also needs to be a bit better, coaching has been good but needs to be a bit better, players have been good but need to be a bit better.

It's hard to judge the move in a vacuum. If we trot out exactly the same lineup next year - and the players keep the same 'we can flip the switch when we need' mentality, then extending Brown is a bit of a yawn move. But if the roster improves 5%, the coaching improves 5%, and players application improves 5%, then it's probably a good move.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

For sure. I’ll step back my argument because for whatever reason, I thought a mutual option worked differently than it actually does. For whatever reason I always thought it meant either side had to the option to accept it into reality, not both had to agree to it. Lol

Ya, we’d have a whole lot of egg if we got better and he proceeded to opt out and go to greener pastures / markets.

Agreed, that 4th year mutual option basically made this next year a “lame duck” year. It was kinda decide to re-sign him now or lose MB next year if he has a great year and opts for greener pastures next summer.

Just about the only way that mutual option would work out is if the Kings have a mediocre year and both sides don’t have any better option. That’s not how you want to go into next season.

Was the successful COY season all Brown, all Monte, or all the rebuilt and new squad of players? If not all, then what relative percentage does each factor in the result?

Then what about year two? How do the three variables balance in a year of relative success but missed playoffs?

This perspective may better reveal who deserves more attention and salary.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this is the right move to make for this franchise, playoffs or no playoffs. the West is so tough and only going to be even more so next season that the Kings can't be losing to lottery teams at home if they want to make the Playoffs again. Progress doesn't always happen in a linear scenario and so having the stability in place is more important than continuing to have a trial phase every 2-3 seasons when things don't work out as we hope.

Was the successful COY season all Brown, all Monte, or all the rebuilt and new squad of players? If not all, then what relative percentage does each factor in the result?

Then what about year two? How do the three variables balance in a year of relative success but missed playoffs?

This perspective may better reveal who deserves more attention and salary.
The more interesting response is what you think those percentages are, as someone who is critical of Brown

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This was what, the 6th best season in Sacramento era Kings history? The 4th best record in NBA history to miss the playoffs? In the toughest division in history to make the playoffs?

I am not pleased that Brown got a raise this season when it was "disappointing" but he has earned the right not to be heading into this year as a lame duck. It was foolish not to sign him to four years without an option so we weren't forced to re-negotiate. But I don't think anyone could have seen the contracts that followed Brown's last year completely blowing up the salary market for coaching hires. Brown's contract which was pretty good in terms of high pay 380-or-so days ago got eclipsed and one of those coaches making 8 figures just coached Detroit to 14 wins.

This is the natural reaction of a previously bad franchise that has screwed up the coaching position in every way possible. They are now over compensating. Browns a decent coach but an extension this long? The kings may have had to overpay to keep him regardless of how disappointing last season was. However, if the kings have ANOTHER letdown season? Oh boy...........

This is the natural reaction of a previously bad franchise that has screwed up the coaching position in every way possible. They are now over compensating. Browns a decent coach but an extension this long? The kings may have had to overpay to keep him regardless of how disappointing last season was. However, if the kings have ANOTHER letdown season? Oh boy...........
How long is it? I dont see anything on the years. It could be a 3 or 4 year deal.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
There's no actual deal yet. They're just saying that one is expected this summer.
I'd guess they bump him up to $10m starting this season and it's 4 years with a team option only in (new) year 4.

That seems fair to all, and the cost of doing business for the Kings for being cheap with the original commitment.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'd rather wait till after another season for a decision to sign or not sign,....whether anyone would want to label him as "a lame duck" or not. I don't see the point in deciding on a 3-4 year contract, if it doesn't really mean using that length of time to evaluate everything
The Kings for whatever reason gave Brown an option on year 4 (I am going to assume because they insisted on their own option).

It's par for the course/cost of doing business to renegotiate at the final year of a contract to eliminate FUD. Because year 4 basically doesn't exist they had to do it now. And really it's a no-brainer to lock him up beyond next season. Would you want Phil Knight to buy Portland and offer him $20 million per year? (I know it's far fetched but it's also well within the realm of possibilities).

IIRC he was slated to earn $8m, so basically we are just giving a 25% one year raise and locking in the current market rate. This would be like locking in a 5% APR on your mortgage even though it was historically 3% but you knew it was headed to 8%.