Kings draft Spencer Hawes: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone at Arco booed his ***.
Why???? You may not like the kid but why in the world would you want the fans at Arco to boo a kid that will be on our team. HE was not the one who made the pick. As it is, we have NO IDEA what he will do for us. Give a chance to at least put the uniform on and get on the court.

One thing I don't get... WHY NOT DRAFT JASON SMITH???? At least we would have a PF. This pick is completely worthless, and we actually got WORSE by picking this guy. An unathletic guy picked for an unathletic team.. Yah, exactly what we needed.. sheehs...

horrible pick!!! THANKS PETRIE

Dear god, don't compare the Hawes pick to Tim Duncan and the Spurs. Compare him maybe to Oberto, who the Spurs are likely letting go and who would constantly get sent to the bench during the playoffs.

I understand the frustration with the pick, but why all the hate pointed at Hawes himself? It's not like he had a choice. I'll give the guy a chance. I do hope some more moves are made this summer to improve the team and address some other needs.

The kings have so many problems right now. If he's as skilled a 7-footer as advertised, with a high BB IQ, I wouldn't think that's necessarily a bad piece to have for the team you are planning to have 2-3 years from now.

Tell me, how much running up and down a championship team does. How many times have Phoenix won compared to Spurs

Secondly, how athletic do you think Tim Duncan is? In the end Duncan is a skilled player who has a high basketball IQ. (just like Spencer)
the problem is he isn't duncan. btw duncan is athletic and he was a PROVEN rebounder and shotblocker in college in which hawes has neither assets. Did prime brad miller and vlade divac win you championships with all the talent we had around them?

I seriously would of been happier with Julian Wright. We're gonna suck next season anyways and it would of been fun watching a guy that will dunk and is explosive and athletic than a guy who's just skilled in the post and cant do anything else... Shareef anyone???

One thing I don't get... WHY NOT DRAFT JASON SMITH???? At least we would have a PF. This pick is completely worthless, and we actually got WORSE by picking this guy. An unathletic guy picked for an unathletic team.. Yah, exactly what we needed.. sheehs...

horrible pick!!! THANKS PETRIE
We were picking #10. It's not like we had the pick of the litter. We didn't reach for him. Hawes was slotted for the 8-12 picks for the last couple months. I would hope this is the first of many moves, so don't just slot him in with last year's team. That would be depressing.

Smith at 10 would have been a reach

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Who cares? I don't mean for that to sound the wrong way, but if we are rebuilding than we have a lot of needs.

If we were trying to build on our current Artest-Bibby core than yes, this would be a terrible pick since it addresses no immediate need. However, if we are blowing this thing up and starting over than 7 footers who can score inside and out, pass, and play tough man D (though not block shots) are nothing to sneeze at.
Very, very true.

I was relieved that some guards/small forwards went early, so that by the time the Bobcats picked, B. Wright, Hawes, and Noah were all available. I figured that the Kings would pick whoever was left, which was what happened.

Would the Kings have made a different decision if they had Charlotte's pick? Not so sure. I guess B. Wright would have been the choice, but not sure if that would have been an obvious upgrade.

I am also intrigued about the Bee's Amick quote today: "If Brad Miller remains on the roster, Hawes eventually could play the old role of Vlade Divac, with Miller back at power forward." Hawes is more refined than Noah or Wright, so I could imagine him staring a the five with Brad at the four for the second half of the season.
Let's hope not. I really don't want to see Miller and Hawes starting at the 4 and 5. We do have size with that combo but thats were it all stops. Talk about layup drills.

In response to the Martin comment...

He's great. A pleasant suprise actually. He is not the savior of our franchise, however.

Bleeding talent, mediocre draft picks, questionable coaching decisions. I know a lot of us are looking for things to look positive on and Martin is probably the only thing now after today.

piksi

Hall of Famer
The kings have so many problems right now. If he's as skilled a 7-footer as advertised, with a high BB IQ, I wouldn't think that's necessarily a bad piece to have for the team you are planning to have 2-3 years from now.
I hope that You are right because I don't see much planing going on around the Kings

I am not personally hating on Hawes. I tried to make a point of that. Actually, I think Hawes would be good for Chicago and Noah good for Sac. The issue is both franchises like certain types of players and ignore obvious needs. The Bulls need Hawes inside scoring and the Kings need Noah's rebounding and tenacity.

Let's hope not. I really don't want to see Miller and Hawes starting at the 4 and 5. We do have size with that combo but thats were it all stops. Talk about layup drills.
Brad played perhaps his best ball playing the 4 along Vlade (of course, Hawes is no Vlade, but he may be a young Vlade).

Everyone needs to stop talking about "need."

If you do not like Hawes as a player than that's fine. However, to say we do not need him because we have Rahim and Miller does not make sense. We are entering rebuilding mode, I do not think that anyone here really believes Rahim or Miller are a part of our long term plans.

However, if Hawes is a legit center who can be paired with an athletic, shot blocking PF than he is a great rebuilding piece and that is exactly what we need.

Almost everyone wants the Kings to rebuild so stop evaluating picks based upon how they fit tne "needs" of the current team. We need forget the players we have outside of Martin, Cisco, Douby, Williams, Price and Salmons and start evaluating moves with regards to how they could fit on our new core. Bibby, Miller, Artest, Rahim and Thomas and what they bring to this team are irrelevant now other than what we can get in return for them or how their contracts restrict our rebuilding efforts.

So please, let's evaluate Hawes and not get caught up into evaluating how he complements a team that's being dismantled.

maybe they're thinking: Can't get the PF we need....so we'll just "draft" BRAD as our PF, and use HAWES as our C (with pasing ability, back to basket, low post scoring ability) ala Vlade. --Vlade wasn't athletic, was no shot blocker, or rebounder. Maybe they're trying to build a 2003-2004 Kings team (before CWebb messed it up).

We can have a starting 5 like this:

Hawes/Williams
Miller/SAR/Thomas
Artest/Garcia
Martin/Salmons
Bibby/Price/Douby

I don't think that's shabby. Now, we only need some more trades so shore up the bench.

maybe miller will be traded? and we get a PF? then Hawes at C? I don't know, but I think we should give the kid a chance. the simple truth is: WE HAVE SO MANY NEEDS AND THIS ONLY FILLS ONE OF THEM.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Said it in the other thread... Picking Spence was NOT that bad a call given who was left and what the Kings have/need...

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO COMPLAIN, then complain about the lack of movement BEFORE today. No trade up for a better pick, so far no player movement to make room for the pick you CAN get and for those of you fliks who were screaming for the Kings to make the play offs... this #10 pick was the result of poo positinig LAST season. Had the team moved talent for enders lost a few more game the team would have had a MUCH better shot at a top 5 or even top 2 pick.

But at this point to whine about selecting Hawes at #10 givne who was left on the board and what he currne troster looks like sory I don't see it.

Y

y2kings

One thing everyone needs to understand about this move: It means we aren't going to follow the Suns run'n'gun offense..we're going to following a slower style and offensive set oriented style. that's what this move says.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hawes/Williams
Miller/SAR/Thomas
Artest/Garcia
Martin/Salmons
Bibby/Price/Douby

I don't think that's shabby. Now, we only need some more trades so shore up the bench.
If you don't think that's too shabby you must not have been watchign last year. The NBA might break its own rules and allow TNT to televise us nationally zero times to avoid the mindnumbing mediocrity.

Now there just have to be moves. Big moves. Little moves. Things have to change now. You can't just add a very limited player like Hawes and call it an offseason. The explosive has to be loaded in the truck now, and *boom*, bye bye to that lienup above and many of those faces. They will not be much lamented after they are gone.

Said it in the other thread... Picking Spence was NOT that bad a call given who was left and what the Kings have/need...

IF YOU REALLY WANT TO COMPLAIN, then complain about the lack of movement BEFORE today. No trade up for a better pick, so far no player movement to make room for the pick you CAN get and for those of you fliks who were screaming for the Kings to make the play offs... this #10 pick was the result of poo positinig LAST season. Had the team moved talent for enders lost a few more game the team would have had a MUCH better shot at a top 5 or even top 2 pick.

But at this point to whine about selecting Hawes at #10 givne who was left on the board and what he currne troster looks like sory I don't see it.
I'm not terribly upset about the Hawes pick, but I'm fairly sure we cold put together a better deal for the Boston #5 pick than just Ray Allen, that is way more dissapointing than Hawes.

Status
Not open for further replies.