Kings draft Spencer Hawes: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No knock on Hawes and the type of player he is, but the Kings NEED frontcourt altleticism and rebounding more than anything. They've also needed this for years. Hell, the Hawks finally picked a guard, can't we draft some inside presence for once?

none of which we really need
SO we don't need a big man who can score with his back to the basket??? We obviously need interior defense more, but it wasn't there. We drafted a need, from many of our needs. Who was the last big on this team that could score fro mthe post. That will open up the offense for others a lot...

P

PoundForPound

great..

Deep draft, pretty high pick, yet we pass up on Julian Wright and draft basically a young Brad Miller. Can't rebound, doesn't defend, doesn't block shots...ummmmm Petrie better know something about this guy that we don't.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I just can't shake a feeling of darkness from over me.

There's such a small chance that someone of great use could fall to us (JianLian / B. Wright / Noah) and I have gotten myself phyched on the chance we could grab one.

But then I also pretty much know that those guys will al be drafted and we will be 'stuck' with yet another swingman type player.

Here's hoping for one of my 'Big Three'

Make it so, Basketball Gods...Make it so!
As I said earlier.

It happened just like that...Only I managed to get my hopes up.

Hopes that Geoff would somehow get the 8 pick that MJ was actively shopping and pick Brandan Wright.

Hopes that Chicago would pick Hawes because they need the scoring.

And then we get this guy.

At least he isn't a small forward, but still...

I want athleticism.

I dunno.

Im just overall not thrilled and my hearts not all into it now cause I overhyped myself for big time letdown.

piksi

Hall of Famer
SO we don't need a big man who can score with his back to the basket??? We obviously need interior defense more, but it wasn't there. We drafted a need, from many of our needs. Who was the last big on this team that could score fro mthe post. That will open up the offense for others a lot...
This is the NBA. He can't score as much as he and we will be scored on for years to come

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'll say it:

Athleticism is overrated. NBA skills aren't. I'm thinking this is all part of a greater plan.

Shareef can score on the post, but that didn't help us, because we had a big fat hole in front court athleticism and defense. Hawes fills no need despite being a center, but being the wrong sort of center. There is a reason there was a lot of excitement for Noah and he is the polar opposite of Hawes.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The guy is going to be an excellent low post player. Teams will not be able to play small ball against us because of that. But, he is just like Miller on defense, so the only way he and the team succeeds is if every other player on the floor, including point guard, is highly athletic. Petrie has his work cut out for him.

Not trading Bibby and Artest is bad, bad news.

Kings need Rebounding in the front court.. WAS NOT ADDRESSED
Kings need to get more athletic.. NOT ADDRESSED
Kings need to get PF help.. NOT ADDRESSED

Good god.. This has to be the worst pick EVER.. Hawes is a friggin stiff, and I pretty much am as pissed as I can get over a pick.

IF THERE IS NO TRADE THAN FIRE PETRIE.. HORRIBLE PICK THAT ADDRESS NONE OF OUR NEEDS..

I can't even stay sane right now so I am going to be back when the trade is made to get this Fine Young Man off the kings.. AAARGH!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
No knock on Hawes and the type of player he is, but the Kings NEED frontcourt altleticism and rebounding more than anything. They've also needed this for years. Hell, the Hawks finally picked a guard, can't we draft some inside presence for once?

Yes, but we would have still needed that regardless of who we picked. Unless we reached and rolled the dice on Sean Williams at 10, the next best players were SFs. I am not sold on Hawes, but if he does develop into another version of Brad Miller (in his prime) but with more post moves, he could be a great complementary player to the athletic 7 footer we still need.

At least thsi pick signals that we are rebuilding. You do not draft a 19 year old project if you are planning on making a playoff push. I'll be interested in seeing if we trade Artest or Bibby today for and pick up another pick.

Deep draft, pretty high pick, yet we pass up on Julian Wright and draft basically a young Brad Miller. Can't rebound, doesn't defend, doesn't block shots...ummmmm Petrie better know something about this guy that we don't.
While I'm not jumping out of my seat over this pick, it's not like Wright is a lock. And, as many have pointed out, Hawes is not a Miller clone...and even if he was a Miller clone, I wouldn't be against drafting the Brad Miller of 3/4 years ago.

Tell me, how much running up and down a championship team does. How many times have Phoenix won compared to Spurs

Secondly, how athletic do you think Tim Duncan is? In the end Duncan is a skilled player who has a high basketball IQ. (just like Spencer)

The guy is going to be an excellent low post player. Teams will not be able to play small ball against us because of that. But, he is just like Miller on defense, so the only way he and the team succeeds is if every other player on the floor, including point guard, is highly athletic. Petrie has his work cut out for him.

Not trading Bibby and Artest is bad, bad news.
Are you assuming neither will be traded over the next couple of months?

He's not a Brad Miller. He's more Vlade-esqe. Back to the basket. Skilled with both hands. Great footwork and young. Very good passer. Only 19. He's not going to be a star right away but in a deep draft, he's the 2nd best center available...and he is a true center. The other option would have been another 6'7" sf. Nobody really want that do they? Centers don't come along often and I LOVE this move. He will learn alot in the next few years.

This was a terrible terrible terrible pick...

- Theus wants to run... out the window with Brad Miller and Spencer Hawes

- We needed interior defense : not with this pick

- We needed athletecism: not with this pick

People say he's young and will develop but everything I read says the guy is already a polished low post scorer...Players who develop normally grow into their athletecism... He doesnt have athletecism to grow into... He's developed we know what we got...a guy who will score 10-15 ppg less than 7 rebounds as a center and will be blown up consistantly on the defensive end... oh and to top it off we got him in the lottery of the best draft in the last 10 years.

I came into the living room late while the NBA Draft was going on. They were describing a center that sounded like Brad Miller. It must have been a Kings pick because there was essentially no follow-up discussion. The required polite paragraph that was printed up for the announcers.

Noah looked like a madman rebounder and scorer. I guess he went to Chicago. Then the Kings picked up a replacement for Brad.

Chicago has Ben Wallace and Noah, plus other aggressive rebounders. We have two Brad Millers and Rahim. Where's the Kool-Aid?

Kings need Rebounding in the front court.. WAS NOT ADDRESSED
Kings need to get more athletic.. NOT ADDRESSED
Kings need to get PF help.. NOT ADDRESSED

:mad::mad::mad:

Who cares? I don't mean for that to sound the wrong way, but if we are rebuilding than we have a lot of needs.

If we were trying to build on our current Artest-Bibby core than yes, this would be a terrible pick since it addresses no immediate need. However, if we are blowing this thing up and starting over than 7 footers who can score inside and out, pass, and play tough man D (though not block shots) are nothing to sneeze at.

I uh am at a loss for words. I realize that Hawes is good in his own right but he is everything we didn't need. I hope, really hope, that Geoff pulls something out of his *** because the past 3 seasons nothing but combo guards and now a center who averaged bleeping 6.4 rebounds. If he couldn't average 9+ in college I don't even want to imagine what happens in the NBA. If he gets 3 per game we should consider ourselves blessed.

I was relieved that some guards/small forwards went early, so that by the time the Bobcats picked, B. Wright, Hawes, and Noah were all available. I figured that the Kings would pick whoever was left, which was what happened.

Would the Kings have made a different decision if they had Charlotte's pick? Not so sure. I guess B. Wright would have been the choice, but not sure if that would have been an obvious upgrade.

I am also intrigued about the Bee's Amick quote today: "If Brad Miller remains on the roster, Hawes eventually could play the old role of Vlade Divac, with Miller back at power forward." Hawes is more refined than Noah or Wright, so I could imagine him staring a the five with Brad at the four for the second half of the season.

Yes, but we would have still needed that regardless of who we picked. Unless we reached and rolled the dice on Sean Williams at 10, the next best players were SFs. I am not sold on Hawes, but if he does develop into another version of Brad Miller (in his prime) but with more post moves, he could be a great complementary player to the athletic 7 footer we still need.

At least thsi pick signals that we are rebuilding. You do not draft a 19 year old project if you are planning on making a playoff push. I'll be interested in seeing if we trade Artest or Bibby today for and pick up another pick.
I would of rather had a forward, acie law or athleticism of some sort, or anything that signaled change. But Hawes is a prototypical player of the past and makes me feel Petrie is stuck in the past, like he has been in delaying the rebuilding. So I completely disagree on this showing change or rebuilding. It shows a stubborn attitude in admitting to team weaknesses and flaws in design.

Tell me, how much running up and down a championship team does. How many times have Phoenix won compared to Spurs

Secondly, how athletic do you think Tim Duncan is? In the end Duncan is a skilled player who has a high basketball IQ. (just like Spencer)
Good points. I'd be quite happy if we've just drafted a quality center for the next decade. Maybe something in the range of 15ppg, 8rpg, 3apg, 1.5bpg in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.