[KINGS] Comments about the Kings that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He talked about them yesterday. Said Malachi was just too deep on the depth chart. Was surprised they gave up on PapaG (still young), but coaches felt that he was just too slow for the current NBA. Felt that Bruno wouldn't be here after this season.

He talked about them yesterday. Said Malachi was just too deep on the depth chart. Was surprised they gave up on PapaG (still young), but coaches felt that he was just too slow for the current NBA. Felt that Bruno wouldn't be here after this season.
Yeah, I felt bad for Malachi, because he definitely has some talent. Hopefully, he can find some solid playing time somewhere so he can showcase that talent. PapaG was a mistake the second the pick was announced. I (kind of) applaud Vlade for being loyal to the dude in the sense that he gave the guy a chance by drafting him. But, it was still a horrible pick then. And it is still a horrible pick now. I have gained a little more respect for Vlade for doing the right thing, realizing he is not NBA ready, and making the move. I agree with Grant when it comes to Bruno...his stay in Sacramento will not be a long one at all.

I barely listen to him but I caught the first segment where he was being a George Hill apologist.. Sometimes I wonder if that type of stuff filters from the organization..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I changed the name of the thread to reflect a place to post comments that don't really deserve a separate thread but don't easily fit with another one. :)

Thanks for posting. I think your right about Brandon. Vlades a well liked nice guy, but regardless of second language he does not inspire a lot of confidence.

WT* are the Kings doing?
Chau:
I need an oral history on why they used the 13th pick in the 2016 draft on Georgios Papagiannis in the first place.
Verrier: The Kings have had a lottery pick every year for an entire decade. Here’s the list (following draft-day trades, etc.):
Jason Thompson
Tyreke Evans
DeMarcus Cousins
Jimmer Fredette
Thomas Robinson
Ben McLemore
Nik Stauskas
Willie Cauley-Stein
Georgios Papagiannis
De’Aaron Fox
And that doesn’t include trading out of an extra lottery pick last year to get two guys with lower ceilings. A truly historic run of futility. It’s like using a government bailout check for your business on exotic cheeses.
Gonzalez: This is the existential question of our NBA lifetime.
O’Shaughnessy: Your guess is as good as mine. Who doesn’t put all their chips in on Malachi Richardson?
Uggetti: They’re putting themselves in a position to be two years away from being two years away from being two years away. Shouts to Bruno.

Taken from The Ringer article summing up trade deadline moves. I thought the exotic cheese comment was actually pretty funny. Who doesn't like cheese?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Verrier: ... And that doesn’t include trading out of an extra lottery pick last year to get two guys with lower ceilings.
I've only read what you quoted, but some of this is pretty much just piling on. I mean, completely ignoring an All-Star like Cousins or the potential that still exists in Cauley-Stein and Fox, and the fact that in several of these cases (Thompson, Stauskas, Papagiannis) the draft was basically dry once our pick came around... It's easy to go around saying the Kings are morons for taking Papagiannis, but I want to know who Verrier would have taken, on draft day 2016, in the #13 slot, without the benefit of hindsight. You get to be GM for a day - who do you take? Wade Baldwin, who seemed to be every NBA writer's man crush in the late lottery? Well, congratulations! Baldwin was out of the league before Papagiannis was!

That said, the quote above may not age very well. Harry Giles has a lower ceiling than Zach Collins? Lower ceiling?!?! No, because of injuries he has a lower floor. His ceiling is best player in the 2016 draft, even with the injuries, and Verrier should know that.

O’Shaughnessy: Your guess is as good as mine. Who doesn’t put all their chips in on Malachi Richardson?
Who put all their chips in on Malachi Richardson? We spent a #22 pick on him that we received for dumping the bad money owed to Marco Belinelli. That's not all the chips. That's not even some of the chips.

I mean, I understand. We're not where we want to be. We could have done better building this team. We darn well should have done better building this team. But the piling on gets really tiresome for me, as if we're the only franchise that has ever missed in the draft.

I've only read what you quoted, but some of this is pretty much just piling on. I mean, completely ignoring an All-Star like Cousins or the potential that still exists in Cauley-Stein and Fox, and the fact that in several of these cases (Thompson, Stauskas, Papagiannis) the draft was basically dry once our pick came around... It's easy to go around saying the Kings are morons for taking Papagiannis, but I want to know who Verrier would have taken, on draft day 2016, in the #13 slot, without the benefit of hindsight. You get to be GM for a day - who do you take? Wade Baldwin, who seemed to be every NBA writer's man crush in the late lottery? Well, congratulations! Baldwin was out of the league before Papagiannis was!

That said, the quote above may not age very well. Harry Giles has a lower ceiling than Zach Collins? Lower ceiling?!?! No, because of injuries he has a lower floor. His ceiling is best player in the 2016 draft, even with the injuries, and Verrier should know that.

Who put all their chips in on Malachi Richardson? We spent a #22 pick on him that we received for dumping the bad money owed to Marco Belinelli. That's not all the chips. That's not even some of the chips.

I mean, I understand. We're not where we want to be. We could have done better building this team. We darn well should have done better building this team. But the piling on gets really tiresome for me, as if we're the only franchise that has ever missed in the draft.
I agree with you completely. This might surprise some of the naysayers, but I shared the article snippet even though I think it is weak and lacks substance or much understanding. Kinda common with Kings related media attention. Like you said, it ignores a lot, but I shared for discussion purposes, not because I agree with it's content.

I know we have some WWE fans that post here. Not sure what it is about, but it has Kings players issuing wrestling inspired challenges to one another. Justin seems to always be in character, Bogdan's is pretty funny. 2K's is 2Kish.

https://streamable.com/rpsim

Twitter version:
Sometimes streamables seem laggy.
It's just something fun and lighthearted they decided to do since the WWE was gonna be at the G1C. I loved it, actually!!!

Fox was on The Jump with Rachel Nichols, Scottie Pippen and Tracy McGrady. Mentions around the 5:50 mark that Coach Joerger allowed him to run the team on his own, including during 4th quarters. Also touched on Rookie of the Year thoughts, the Boogie apparel Fox was decked out in, etc.

Also, is it me or does Rachel keep calling him Darren?

Status
Not open for further replies.