Kings @ Bobcats game thread, 1/18, 11a.m. P.S.T.

WTF moment of the game

• Martin and Evans - not enough

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Beno continues to struggle

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Kenny Thomas sees the floor

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • JT and Donte STILL don't know how to avoid stupid fouls

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this sort of efficiency disintegration. Maybe this lack of fortitude is a consequence of fielding a young team. I suppose that if these shakeups happened to my team I'd be as lost as JT, Casspi, and Hawes appear to be too. I want to do a small analysis:

The circumstances surrounding the team:

1. We get a new coaching staff and 7.5 new players need to be worked into the fold (Donte is the .5).

2. 3.5 of those new players - Evans, Casspi, Donte, and Brockman - bring with them a new identity and look to become part of the core of our future team.

3. Martin, while learning to adjust to the team's new identity, goes down. The team picks up in his absence and plays solid ball.

4. The new identity emerges without Martin in play. Toughness, excitement, and sharing the load quickly become associated with this team.

--- Now wait, I'm not just going to prattle off a list of obvious factors. That's not what you come to Kingsfans expecting ;)

Casspi is a superior, fiery competitor, and Evans is learning how to be THE man. Their roles were slowly solidifying as options #1 and #2a. Now, it's a bit hard to stretch back and find a PG / SF combo that created more potential problems, especially with Donte involved and playing at his best. In any case - they were defining the team around them, whether they realized it or not. Toughness was being infused, hustle was the way to play. Their energy slowly seeped all the way down the roster - failing only to penetrate Sean May's core :)D). The roles were set. The players knew what they would have to do - until Martin came back.

5. The schedule from hell appears - and it's not gonna get better soon

6. Martin returns on the back side of an exhausting run of losses to title hopefuls while confidence is already low.

7. The rookies, being rookies, fall apart in the identity shake up. Casspi and Donte are forgotten. Casspi gets mad: http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/2468221.html, and Tyreke's leadership dissolves in a flurry of ill timed jumpers, questionable plays, and deferment to the old big man on campus

8. I, and at least one other fan, palm my face and go drink rum by myself. The sky is falling!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I see is a combination of the other team stepping up to the Kings, and the Kings failing to assert their will. What will it take? How, exactly do the Kings pull themselves out of this slump and become the 7 consecutive time world champions we all want them to be? I'm not a very good armchair GM, and I will leave the speculating to you. I just want to be able to watch a game and not feel like my brain is on fire from witnessing a tragic meltdown.

I'm just gonna get down to business.

Awards

TDM - Earl Boykins impacted the game in a way that he never should. Offensively AND defensively, believe it or not.

LW-VC - Andray Blatche was the only player to hurt the Wizards

JHA - JT. Enough with the fouls, alright?

SAR - Metuselah - Nocioni looked like he drove in reckless slow motion. And he ignored his teammates while he did it.

RA&1 - K9 tried to play, which is flashy enough for him I suppose, but hurt us anyway.

WTF moment of the game - Including K9 in the poll virtually guarantees him the voter win. Although, I want to know, what's wrong with Beno now?

This game will be tougher than the previous two. I almost want to tell you to look the other way, but hey, anything can happen in the NBA. The Bobcats are 8-2 in their last ten, have won 4 in a row, Gerald Wallace deserves to be an all star based on his defensive presence alone, and Stephen Jackson will score like no one is guarding him - he always has. The Bobcats are at .500 after handing Phoenix a 125-99 butt whoopin', and we are going into their house where they hold a record of 16-4. Whoopie.

Predictions:

Kings 94 Bobcats 105

Pts: Evans 24, Jackson 30
Asst: Evans 6, Felton 5
Rbds: Thompson 9, Wallace 12
Blocks: Hawes 1, Wallace 3

Probable starters:

Kings / Bobcats

Evans / Felton: Get at him Evans. Too bad they'll throw Jackson on you for defense though.
Martin / Jackson: Martin will probably see Wallace. Ouch.
Casspi / Wallace: I imagine a strange scheme that lands Felton on Casspi defensively. Too bad he will be ignored.
JT / Diaw: Every 2 plays there will be a foul called. JT will have 6 by halftime.
Hawes / Mohammed: Hawes may be able to come out ahead.

No matter the outcome, this will not be a pretty game. The Kings will have to play smart to win. Can they get their heads on straight and pull one out?

GO KINGS!!!

Last edited:
If Martin and Evans somehow see this post,
Don't help yourself, help the team, you are awesome players, and you will be even more awesome if you will be a team player.

Work together, and pick up this game

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I predict GW jumping for a dunk and hitting his head on the backboard. He's overdue for one of his patented yearly injuries.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
The players need to have some kind of players only meeting/practice and start talking things over now, i remember bibby/garcia/miller holding player only meetings to right the ship, wheres the leadership going to come from?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The Bobcats, in their franchise history, have never had a chance to be above .500 after November 21st, until now. If we don't get their "A" game, I'll be astonished.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
i remember bibby/garcia/miller holding player only meetings to right the ship,
Yeah, that worked so well. :p

There is a problem though. The leaders, the guys who should call it, are all kids. Hard for guys carrying around pink backpacks or whatnot (and again I must say about hazing that I would shove that backpack so far up the veteran's *** making me carry it that...well, let me think of something colorful) to call veterans to order and have it gain any respect. There is Cisco, but he has not played at all. Reke and Kevin might be able to do it together maybe, but I could almost see that causing resentment as the peasants get dictated to by the guys taking all the shots.

I did not vote BTW, since option a) probably should have been "Martin & Evans, too much".

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I hope you guys know we do have a game prediction thread for this kind of stuff.....look in the Fantasy & Games forum.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm thinking Hawes/Brockman/Greene/Martin/Evans. Greene (New Coke) versus Wallace (Old Coke) might be fun to watch. Could be potentially painful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.