[Game] Kings at Thunder, Friday 11/12/21, 5 PM PST (8 PM EST)

Why did Tetsujin not post the game thread?

• He has a life

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • He decided to turn in his Kings fandom for a used Q-Tip

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • MASSIVE KAIJU FIGHT!!

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • He wanted Capt. to post a really crappy game thread to highlight the contrast

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question for you. On one of the last plays, after the Thunder had just scored we saw Haliburton rush over to the ref to get the ball to get it in play, I assume to push it up the floor, but when Hali inbounds the ball to Fox, he slowly walks the ball up the floor. What am I missing here? The player I see pushing the ball up the floor most often is Haliburton, when Fox is the speedster. I'm confused. By the way, Holmes should be paying part of Haliburtons salary!
You read my mind. I was thinking the exact same thing. They clearly have been coached to push the pace and Hali does it at every opportunity. Fox seems to have consciously eliminated his one elite skill with his added bulk and stubbornness to control the game. There is a massive disconnect there and I’m not sure if Walton just doesn’t have the balls to call fox out on this.

Here's a question for you. On one of the last plays, after the Thunder had just scored we saw Haliburton rush over to the ref to get the ball to get it in play, I assume to push it up the floor, but when Hali inbounds the ball to Fox, he slowly walks the ball up the floor. What am I missing here? The player I see pushing the ball up the floor most often is Haliburton, when Fox is the speedster. I'm confused. By the way, Holmes should be paying part of Haliburtons salary!
Lol you should count the number of times a game when Fox crosses the halfcourt line at 16 seconds

I’m not sure I’ve seen fox smile more than a couple times all year. The charismatic face of the franchise is no longer. I just don’t see the passion from him at all this year.
Tyrese and Davion appear to be the Kings’ backcourt of the future. Fox (the “star”) looks washed. I don’t understand what’s wrong with him, but it doesn’t matter - the team needs to minimize his role in the interest of winning. With the way that De’Aaron is playing this season, he has become a liability - not an asset.

On the bright side - I have a clear nominee for the LWVC or CoJo memorial award: Jeremiah Robinson-Earl who I dare say looked like Neemias Queta could take his starting spot. 1-9 FG on what must have been all wide open layup attempts.

Which would Kings fans rather have right here and now if could only have one "wish." Walton fired before game on Monday in Detroit or Fox traded to Philly for Simmons if could make basically straight up one-for-one deal?
Fox traded. I don't understand the hesitation from Kings fans in not wanting to trade away Fox/Barnes/Holmes/Buddy the core is trash and basically maxed out. Seriously the deal for Marcus Smart + picks is even looking viable at this point if we didn't have like 5 other small PGs.

What in the hell is this roster the Kings have like 5 big men who do the same thing and like 4 small guards who need the ball. I'm sorry whoever put this roster together is more to blame than Walton who sucks. How can you have a team without a single stretch 4/5 (don't say Bagley he sucks) when your "max player" is a slasher?

Last edited:
Fox traded. I don't understand the hesitation from Kings fans in not wanting to trade away Fox/Barnes/Holmes/Buddy the core is trash and basically maxed out. Seriously the deal for Marcus Smart + picks is even looking viable at this point if we didn't have like 5 other small PGs.

What in the hell is this roster the Kings have like 5 big men who do the same thing and like 4 small guards who need the ball. I'm sorry whoever put this roster together is more to blame than Walton who sucks. How can you have a team without a single stretch 4/5 (don't say Bagley he sucks) when your "max player" is a slasher?
All fans tend to overestimate their player and underestimate others.

With his play this year, Fox's projection has gone from Gary Payton/Mike Conley to Dennis Schroeder/Leandro Barbosa.

I'm at a point now where I cringe whenever he shoots a jumper in the last three minutes of a game. Efficiency matters and the Kings (especially Fox) are really, really inefficient right now.

Last edited:
The US Mens National Team beat Mexico last night! :)
Yea, that was a good game.

Think this generation has chance to win it all. Just need a legit 9 to develop (Pepi, Dike, Ferriera, Sargent?) and a legit left back to step up (so Dest can swing btwn RB and LB as needed). I like the Musah, Adams, and McKinnie mids. Mix of grit, defense, and ability to carry the ball forward.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I would say that Metu falls into that slot, but then he hasn't been playing until recently. Another question I have, since I constantly hear that we need help on the wing, is why is Louis Kings down in the G-League when he's averaging about 30 pts a game, and he tore it up in summer league? He plays solid defense and he could outscore Harkless in his sleep. I don't get it. The Miami Heat aren't afraid to put undrafted players, or 2nd rd picks in their rotation, or even starting lineup and when I last looked, they seem to be fairly competitive.

Blowing an 18 pt lead to a team actively looking to suck and get ping pong balls is my breaking point. Blow it up. I'd have way more fun watching Mitchell/Hali start to build chemistry in the back-court and letting Swag/King/Metu/Woodard and hell, even Queta get NBA minutes and see what they can do. At least we'd have an actual plan with this team rather than just to hope that Fox/Buddy/Barnes will ever be able to figure it out.

Blowing an 18 pt lead to a team actively looking to suck and get ping pong balls is my breaking point. Blow it up. I'd have way more fun watching Mitchell/Hali start to build chemistry in the back-court and letting Swag/King/Metu/Woodard and hell, even Queta get NBA minutes and see what they can do. At least we'd have an actual plan with this team rather than just to hope that Fox/Buddy/Barnes will ever be able to figure it out.
Interesting how running back the same squad as last season is leading to the same results.

Interesting how running back the same squad as last season is leading to the same results.
The thing is; we weren't the same squad. We were developing a pretty solid 8-man rotation, Buddy was seeing a resurgence off the bench, Davion already looks like one of the best perimeter defenders in basketball, Alex Len fixed our back-up C problem, and we were competing with some of the best teams in the NBA till the last 5 minutes of the game. Yeah, 24th in DEF Rtg isn't good, but considering we were coming off the worst DEF Rtg season in history? Still a marked improvement. And we were doing all this with our best player struggling, so the idea was there was still room for growth once he got back to normal.

But something has crumbled the last 3 games and I'm not sure if anything can recover it at this point. The team and the core look broken. Maybe something popped off in the locker room and guys just checked out from Walton. Who knows.

I would say that Metu falls into that slot, but then he hasn't been playing until recently. Another question I have, since I constantly hear that we need help on the wing, is why is Louis Kings down in the G-League when he's averaging about 30 pts a game, and he tore it up in summer league? He plays solid defense and he could outscore Harkless in his sleep. I don't get it. The Miami Heat aren't afraid to put undrafted players, or 2nd rd picks in their rotation, or even starting lineup and when I last looked, they seem to be fairly competitive.
Time to call Louis up to the majors.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So much this! I can’t believe some thought a rookie and Doug on the bench would be some culture-shaking winning formula. It’s the same bad team with the same bad coach!

… not bad enough to contend for top picks, mind you! Just had enough to make you squint and pretend we can make the playoffs before picking 11 in the lottery. YAY SACRAMENTO!

The thing is; we weren't the same squad. We were developing a pretty solid 8-man rotation, Buddy was seeing a resurgence off the bench, Davion already looks like one of the best perimeter defenders in basketball, Alex Len fixed our back-up C problem, and we were competing with some of the best teams in the NBA till the last 5 minutes of the game. Yeah, 24th in DEF Rtg isn't good, but considering we were coming off the worst DEF Rtg season in history? Still a marked improvement. And we were doing all this with our best player struggling, so the idea was there was still room for growth once he got back to normal.

But something has crumbled the last 3 games and I'm not sure if anything can recover it at this point. The team and the core look broken. Maybe something popped off in the locker room and guys just checked out from Walton. Who knows.
Fox has looked mostly disengaged all season. COVID “hangover”? Difficulty adjusting to a “new role”? The pressure of a living up to his new contract? Tension in the locker room with MBIII? Problems with the missus? I don’t know, but if he’s the “star” on this squad then the Kings are going nowhere fast with him playing like he has so far this season.

Which would Kings fans rather have right here and now if could only have one "wish." Walton fired before game on Monday in Detroit or Fox traded to Philly for Simmons if could make basically straight up one-for-one deal?

fox traded... while his value is still high. but not for simmons if its possible...

couple months ago when i criticized fox for his low IQ and selfishness, and even dared to call him dumb, i got replies like this:

If I took you or your post seriously, it’d be super easy to destroy this subjective and laughable opinion (errr trolling attempt).

Beyond not taking you seriously, it’s easy enough to glean from the tone of it all that there’s no upside in trying to set you straight.

Gotta good idea that this is another burner account.

Wow. I’ve seen takes. I’ve seen player hate. This is at the top of the list. (Btw it’s not a good list)

13 games into a season, i can see snowball rolling down...

only problem with a proposed trade is simmons, IMHO he's more infatile than bagley. so i would not trade fox at all costs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
So much this! I can’t believe some thought a rookie and Doug on the bench would be some culture-shaking winning formula. It’s the same bad team with the same bad coach!

… not bad enough to contend for top picks, mind you! Just had enough to make you squint and pretend we can make the playoffs before picking 11 in the lottery. YAY SACRAMENTO!
There's an old saying: "The team is better than the sum of its parts". Clever way of saying it's better than your expectations. With the Kings, I believe its the opposite. The sum of the parts is better than the team! When that's the case it means there's talent there, but it's underachieving. And if so, why? Two reasons spring to mind. While the pieces are talented, they don't fit together. The other reason is that the coach doesn't know how to use the talent. Or it could be both.

Personally, I lean toward the coach as the problem. I see mistakes game after game, and I'm not going to go into detail, and to be fair, all coaches make mistakes, but those mistakes aren't as glaring when you have a Lebron or a Durant on your team. But with a young team, one minute of bad play in the last five or six minutes of a game can be fatal. Sooo, if your the coach, you would want to put players on the floor during those last minutes of a game that are the least likely to make make a critical mistake. I'm not going to name players names, but as a head coach, Walton has failed in that area and it's cost us games

I will say, look at Doug on the sidelines. He looks like the ONLY one on that bench attempting to hold it together out there. A person screaming up from the bottom can do anything when the problems start at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.