[Game] Kings at Celtics, 1/25/2022 4:30pm PT/7:30pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just not a big believer in a dual point guard starting lineup. We need a real shooting guard, who plays on both ends
It's not perfect, but on paper I think it can work. The key is Tyrese putting on 20 pounds. Until then he's going to be controlled on both ends with one hand when it comes to physical play most nights. That said, they have to play small ball. Spacing, pick and roll, defensive switching is even more key with them than most modern teams. Your pick and roll is only as good as the spacing around it. Fox spacing for Haliburton isn't ideal already. Haliburton running pick and roll when he can't physically break through doubles or bump guys off is only as good as what the defense is going to give you.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Guys, we've done this too many times throughout the years. Well, the Kings have. This isn't a Tyrese vs. Fox just like it wasn't a Bogdan vs. Buddy thing. This is a "HOW DO YOU MAKE IT WORK AROUND THEM BECAUSE IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO.".
Either, or, both, without a legit star standing in front of both of them it won’t work. Lmao

It's not perfect, but on paper I think it can. The key is Tyrese putting on 20 pounds. Until then he's going to be controlled on both ends with one hand when it comes to physical play most nights. That said, they have to play small ball. Spacing, pick and roll, defensive switching is even more key with them than most modern teams. Your pick and roll is only as good as the spacing around it. Fox spacing for Haliburton isn't ideal already. Haliburton running pick and roll when he can't physically break through doubles or bump guys off is only as good as what the defense is going to give you.
I just don't see the pairing leading this team as a dangerous playoff team or contender. To me, if there isn't real potential for that, then try to find a starting guard pairing that does have that potential.

Either, or, both, without a legit star standing in front of both of them it won’t work. Lmao
Most of us have been here for the long stretch of badness. There is an old saying, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. The Kings have been outside the playoff window for awhile. I would say so far that there are 3 names out of all of it that are where you want to be talent wise. Well 4 had they not completely sandbagged Bagley, but Cuz and Fox are the big hits, Haliburton is a score. Just because everything around them is total mismanaged garbage (Walton being allowed to hang on firstly) don't be so willing to toss it all.

Agree to disagree - I think Haliburton is very clearly best suited to be a starting PG.
He can't handle, break down a defense, goes to the floater every time, has no creative finishing ability and limited shot creation, and is very much on the slower and less athletic side for lead guards.

People call him a PG because he can playmake at a lead guard level. That doesn't make him one.

He's like super Bogi. People called him a PG because he could playmake and shoot (kinda).

I just don't see the pairing leading this team as a dangerous playoff team or contender. To me, if there isn't real potential for that, then try to find a starting guard pairing that does have that potential.
Fox had the team last year, all he did was put the team on his back even if they didn't make the playoffs. This is exactly why in the summer I was so concerned with the build Monte was going with. It did nothing to build on that. Nothing. That affects success and trade value. When you have neither, and you still do have talent? That's about an inexcusable as anything we've seen in the last 16 years.

Most of us have been here for the long stretch of badness. There is an old saying, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. The Kings have been outside the playoff window for awhile. I would say so far that there are 3 names out of all of it that are where you want to be talent wise. Well 4 had they not completely sandbagged Bagley, but Cuz and Fox are the big hits, Haliburton is a score. Just because everything around them is total mismanaged garbage (Walton being allowed to hang on firstly) don't be so willing to toss it all.
Again, I wouldn't trade Fox unless we are getting an established player in return, who is a better fit with Haliburton

Again, I wouldn't trade Fox unless we are getting an established player in return, who is a better fit with Haliburton
And that begs the question who then? They'd obviously need to be able to go 1 on 1. They'd need to have slashing ability that doesn't always require a running start or a pick and roll. To me, the biggest mistake is again trying to change Fox around his teammates rather than the other way around. At least then even if it doesn't work trade value for Fox will be high. The Kings misused him for all but literally 1 season and that was last season.

Fox had the team last year, all he did was put the team on his back even if they didn't make the playoffs. This is exactly why in the summer I was so concerned with the build Monte was going with. It did nothing to build on that. Nothing. That affects success and trade value. When you have neither, and you still do have talent? That's about an inexcusable as anything we've seen in the last 16 years.
He's a talented player, but unless his outside shot becomes consistent, I don't see him as the lead guard on a contending team. Definitely not starting with another point guard

He's a talented player, but unless his outside shot becomes consistent, I don't see him as the lead guard on a contending team. Definitely not starting with another point guard
You're talking contending though. I think they are just looking at 10th/9th/8th, haha. I think you can contend playoff wise with players of a talent level like Fox/Haliburton/Barnes, but, you can't just willy nilly build a team around them like they are LeBron/Durant. They aren't that. Therein lies the problem of teams like Boston. Know who your rocks are and always build around that. Anything else even if it's better value is going to end up less.

And that begs the question who then? They'd obviously need to be able to go 1 on 1. They'd need to have slashing ability that doesn't always require a running start or a pick and roll. To me, the biggest mistake is again trying to change Fox around his teammates rather than the other way around. At least then even if it doesn't work trade value for Fox will be high. The Kings misused him for all but literally 1 season and that was last season.
Then if I were you, I'd trade Haliburton for someone who fits better with Fox. For me, I can visualize Haliburton as the lead guard on a good playoff team more than I can Fox. Don't see it with them starting together

You're talking contending though. I think they are just looking at 10th/9th/8th, haha. I think you can contend playoff wise with players of a talent level like Fox/Haliburton/Barnes, but, you can't just willy nilly build a team around them like they are LeBron/Durant. They aren't that. Therein lies the problem of teams like Boston. Know who your rocks are and always build around that. Anything else even if it's better value is going to end up less.
Yeah, my definition of "working" or "potential to work" might be be different than some others. I couldn't care less about a playin seed, who has no legit chance to be dangerous in the playoffs

I mean........

Then if I were you, I'd trade Haliburton for someone who fits better with Fox. For me, I can visualize Haliburton as the lead guard on a good playoff team more than I can Fox. Don't see it with them starting together
Pat Bev was a lead guard technically on a playoff team though. I think you slice off your true talent regardless of position and focus on that first. If contention is the goal, not having players that can consistently generate shots in an offense is fooling around. We as Kings fans know that having watching multiple iterations of teams without a player remotely capable of getting 20 PPG on average without really forcing the issue or relying on gimmicks. Pick your guys and build around that. Like I said, I think Fox can Haliburton can technically work but the problem is Monte might have waited beyond his window again. Once value drops, opportunity drops, and your actual record drops it doesn't matter what you want to do. You've boxed yourself in.

Status
Not open for further replies.