Kings at 9

It's not solely on Walton but a lot of what has gone wrong appears to be poor leadership and bad roster management. While some are quick to blame whichever player goes out with an injury and then the team makes a run on the player who is out, it's also possible that the system is so bad that the players are hungry enough to get results when the system can't work as designed.

The only thing we can say about McNair so far is he picked the best player on the board in the first round (that a lot of other guys missed) and that he hasn't made any moves that will tie us down long term. Unless you are in the camp that hates Fox so much and believes we should not have extended him. That take is a little crazy to me, but ok.
I’m not in the extending Fox was in a bad move camp. I am in the acquiring marginal talent to lessen your draft spot in this draft and reduce your draft capital is a move that will hurt you long term.

Funny how people dont even remember what happened. The better offer was an additional first from The Pels. When word got out Cousins agent said he wouldnt sign with the team. He was trying to keep him in sac for the big contract. The Pels lowered the offer.
Yep Vlade has a lot for which he can be blamed but the “reduced offer” isn’t one of them.

With so many teams putting out legitimate G-League rosters this year we were never going to have good odds at a top pick. I'm not going to lose sleep because we somehow were not able to out tank those rosters well enough to give us a good shot at Jalen Green. My hope though is we can draft smart this year wherever we land and actually do the work this offseason (trading away Barnes, Hield, etc) to hit the ground running to tank properly next year. The 2022 draft is even more loaded than this years. If we can go into the 2022-23 season with a core of Fox, Haliburton, Keon Johnson, and Chet Holmgren I think we will all be able to sleep pretty easy at night.
The 7 spot is reasonable odds and not unrealistic to feel we could have been 6-7.

We will have even less chance at Holmgren if Hali isn’t injured and improves as one would expect.

I’m not in the extending Fox was in a bad move camp. I am in the acquiring marginal talent to lessen your draft spot in this draft and reduce your draft capital is a move that will hurt you long term.
It's weird that 3/4 of the board feels the talent acquired is fringe NBA at best but somehow it's simultaneously viewed as enough to net us an extra 5 wins or so that cost us a pick.

It can't be both. I think given that we are facing a bit of a messy cap situation with the Holmes decision putting us in a bind, the team needed to get a few players they controlled next season more than anything else. For trade flexibility plus possible continuity moving forward. I think Monte did well here. I also don't share your obsession with 2nd rounders, which I think are pretty useless for this team that has stockpiled them over the Vlade years and basically has to waive these picks within 2 years.

I agree on the first part of your post but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a tank next season. If a 5th year Fox and a second year Haliburton net us a top 5 pick we are screwed.

We need who ever we pick to be a plus role player or better, figure out what to do with Bagley, get big improvement from Hali and a bit better shooting from Fox. If we do all that and also get a new coach I expect us to be in the playoff hunt next year.
I'm praying 5th year Fox and 2nd year Hali can do serious damage, but we are 9th now with Super Saiyan Fox, Barnes, Hield, Holmes, and a ridiculously productive Hali. The West isn't getting easier next year. Both the Wolves and Thunder should make big improvements next year. Same goes for the East. Magic and Bulls should both be much better. It would be a good year for us to be bad if we can.

I'm praying 5th year Fox and 2nd year Hali can do serious damage, but we are 9th now with Super Saiyan Fox, Barnes, Hield, Holmes, and a ridiculously productive Hali. The West isn't getting easier next year. Both the Wolves and Thunder should make big improvements next year. Same goes for the East. Magic and Bulls should both be much better. It would be a good year for us to be bad if we can.
Yeh the West will be stacked next year with the big jump likely coming from Golden state.

If Fox and Haliburton are as good as we think they are we should be in the mix with Dallas Memphis and San Antonio for the last couple spots. Now if we lose Holmes and our draft pick is a bust, I could see us back in familiar territory

Vlade's mistake wasn't not cutting Karl, it was not moving Cousins earlier
It's a hard thing to move a franchise cornerstone player when you hadn't had one in eons. Once Karl and Cuz started to even look like they were butting heads something should have been done even if the idea was to build Cuz back up to move later. It's much easier to cut the coach in the equation when they are already kind of on the outs of the NBA elite at that point. The typical Kangz thing is they moved on from both and then Vlade proceeded to build a team that actually would have been perfect for Karls 5 out system. Go figure.

You're forgetting one major factor here - Luke Walton. His coaching (or lack thereof) has cost this team a lot of wins.

Funny how people dont even remember what happened. The better offer was an additional first from The Pels. When word got out Cousins agent said he wouldnt sign with the team. He was trying to keep him in sac for the big contract. The Pels lowered the offer.
Which Cousins AGENT screwed up by telling teams the Big Fella would not resign with them if they traded for him. Cousins and his agent were already counting the Max contract money.
Damn this board is getting bad. Can’t even take a joke. Plenty of people here are fans and aware of what happened. Plenty of us follow the kings, not only in mainstream media but local news, blogs and forums so we know. It’s a play on his words people! He meant moving cousins earlier, as in years or weeks to get max value but I was joking cuz vlade actually was quoted mentioning 2 days, which technically was “earlier”. It’s sad that I have to explain it’s a joke, or explain the joke in general cuz people get all butt hurt and have to defend against a minor post in passing. :rolleyes:

Damn this board is getting bad. Can’t even take a joke. Plenty of people here are fans and aware of what happened. Plenty of us follow the kings, not only in mainstream media but local news, blogs and forums so we know. It’s a play on his words people! He meant moving cousins earlier, as in years or weeks to get max value but I was joking cuz vlade actually was quoted mentioning 2 days, which technically was “earlier”. It’s sad that I have to explain it’s a joke, or explain the joke in general cuz people get all butt hurt and have to defend against a minor post in passing. :rolleyes:
Sorry i missed your joke:) That trade was a bitter pill to swallow for some of us. I don't think ownership was on board trading Cousins earlier. I suspect the Big Fella went on one rant too many which sealed his fate.

Cousins/Agent ruining his trade value was a fact and the net loss to the Kings was a first round pick. And that was no joke IMO.

What part of cleaning this up on the back end did people not get? This was never not going to happen. The Kings went out of their way to win 2 pointless, literally pointless, games in the bubble and showcased impending FA's and players that are no longer even here. The good news is now there's probably near a 10% chance of making the play in.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
and so I ask, how often do the Kings perform better post All-star break?
'20-'21 Pre: .389 Post: .500 (as of right now)
'19-'20 Pre: .389 Post: .556
'18-'19 Pre: .526 Post: .360
'17-'18 Pre: .316 Post: .360
'16-'17 Pre: .421 Post: .381
'15-'16 Pre: .415 Post: .379
'14-'15 Pre: .346 Post: .367
'13-'14 Pre: .340 Post: .345
'12-'13 Pre: .352 Post: .321
'11-'12 Pre: .333 Post: .333
'10-'11 Pre: .245 Post: .379
'09-'10 Pre: .346 Post: .233
'08-'09 Pre: .204 Post: .214
'07-'08 Pre: .451 Post: .483
'06-'07 Pre: .431 Post: .355
'05-'06 Pre: .452 Post: .690 (Adelman's final year, and most recent playoff appearance)

So, while sometimes we do better and sometimes we do worse, in both of Luke Walton's seasons we have been not only better post-break, but also at or over .500 (this year I would anticipate we probably stick at .500, splitting the last 4 games), a record we haven't hit since the final Adelman year, and only came close to one other time way back when under Theus.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
'05-'06 Pre: .452 Post: .690 (Adelman's final year, and most recent playoff appearance)

So, while sometimes we do better and sometimes we do worse, in both of Luke Walton's seasons we have been not only better post-break, but also at or over .500 (this year I would anticipate we probably stick at .500, splitting the last 4 games), a record we haven't hit since the final Adelman year, and only came close to one other time way back when under Theus.
are those .500 records post in part because playoff seedings are established and/or players resting their players more often? perhaps its other

So... Walton cleans up on the back end of the schedule? You don't say.

So it looks like the Pels (Mavs,GSW,Lakers) and Kings (Memphis,Memphis,Jazz) are tied with same record for 9th Pick

not sure how this will turn out

So we need to worry about Wizards last three games ? Looks like they will get the 10th seed in east
could they get to the playin and still have better draft position than Pels or Kings?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So we need to worry about Wizards last three games ? Looks like they will get the 10th seed in east
could they get to the playin and still have better draft position than Pels or Kings?
I haven't seen any reporting that is super-explicit on it, but if I understand correctly, the lottery will be conducted among the 14 teams who do not make the "real" playoffs, regardless of whether they had made the play-in games or not.

This would mean that if we passed the Wizards in record, but they won their way into the real playoffs, they would pick 15th and whichever teams in the East lost out would be in the lotto, but behind us in position (presumably, unless they also had a worse record).

We are already locked out of lotto positions 1-7 and 14. Technically we have a chance at 15/16/17 outside the lottery, but obviously that would require a lot of things going exactly right, not only for us to reach the real playoffs but in the case of 16/17 for one or two teams in the East to finish behind/tied with us and also make the real playoffs.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

The only thing I'm taking away from this is that the NBA better move up the ASG next season if Luke Walton is still our coach.

So it looks like the Pels (Mavs,GSW,Lakers) and Kings (Memphis,Memphis,Jazz) are tied with same record for 9th Pick

not sure how this will turn out

yes they can. I looked it up earlier. Right now with the Pels losing we sit at 10 with a shot at 11. I’m guessing we split Memphis and with the Pels being eliminated they lose to GSW and the Lakers.