Kings announce summer league roster (merged)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/254971.html

Kings announce summer league roster
Bee Sports Staff -
Published 2:19 pm PDT Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Francisco Garcia, Quincy Douby and Spencer Hawes, the Kings' first-round draft picks the past three years, will headline the team's roster that will participate in the 2007 NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Games begin Saturday night at UNLV's Cox Pavilion and conclude July 15.

Center Justin Williams, who played in the summer league for the Kings last July before being cut at the end of training camp in October, will also play for the Kings. Williams ended the 2006-07 season on the Kings' roster after signing consecutive 10-day contracts.

The Kings begin play Saturday against the Chinese National team at 7 p.m. Other games will be against Washington at on Tuesday (Cox Pavilion); July 12 vs. New York (Cox Pavilion), July 14 vs. Houston (Thomas & Mack Arena) and July 15 vs. Clippers (Thomas & Mack).

The roster includes:

No. Player Pos. Height Weight

42 Keith Butler C 7-1 255

22 Nik Caner-Medley F 6-8 240

8 Quincy Douby G 6-3 175

32 Francisco Garcia F-G 6-7 195

31 Spencer Hawes C 7-0 245

13 Pooh Jeter G 5-11 17

40 Oliver Lafayette G 6-2 180

16 Christian Maraker F 6-9 235

55 Mustafa Shakur G 6-3 190

25 Donta Smith G 6-7 215

33 Cezary Trybanski C 7-2 240

35 Darryl Watkins C 6-11 258

30 Justin Williams C 6-10 260

54 Major Wingate C 6-10 250

5 David Young G 6-5 205

Weren't the Kings interested in drafting Donta Smith a few years back? Now he is summer league material? I guess it's a good thing they passed.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Justing started trying to bulk up last year. And yes we were interested in drafting Donta Smith 2 years ago. I am eagerly awaiting Mr. Slim Citrus anyalisis because he usually goes to all the games and gives an outstanding report. he called it last year with Williams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Justing started trying to bulk up last year. And yes we were interested in drafting Donta Smith 2 years ago. I am eagerly awaiting Mr. Slim Citrus anyalisis because he usually goes to all the games and gives an outstanding report. he called it last year with Williams.
Erm, no. Slim doesn't go to the games. It's CRUZ DUDE who goes to the games.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, it was already announced that Price wouldn't be participating in the summer league this year. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Is Ronnie Price's absence a sign that we don't want him no more? Because I still do.
~~
Ronnie's a free agent this year wiht a chance of signing a real contract -- I'm sure his agent has just told him do NOT play, do NOT get hurt until the deal is signed.

Bricklayer

As an aside there is no way in HELL Justin Williams weighs 260, unless he's got a big ole Oliver Miller gut on him. 50lbs in 6 months or so = no.

Unless....

Do you think he knows Barry Bonds? :p

Bricklayer

42 Keith Butler C 7-1 255

22 Nik Caner-Medley F 6-8 240

8 Quincy Douby G 6-3 175

32 Francisco Garcia F-G 6-7 195

31 Spencer Hawes C 7-0 245

13 Pooh Jeter G 5-11 17

40 Oliver Lafayette G 6-2 180

16 Christian Maraker F 6-9 235

55 Mustafa Shakur G 6-3 190

25 Donta Smith G 6-7 215

33 Cezary Trybanski C 7-2 240

35 Darryl Watkins C 6-11 258

30 Justin Williams C 6-10 260

54 Major Wingate C 6-10 250

5 David Young G 6-5 205

So,

Guys We Know
Quincy Douby G 6-3 175
Francisco Garcia F-G 6-7 195
Spencer Hawes C 7-0 245
Justin Williams C 6-10 260

Guys Who Used to Play in The League and Washed Out
Cezary Trybanski C 7-2 240 (don't remember much about him except the name)
Donta Smith G 6-7 215 (athletic but never showed much, just garabagetime)

Undrafted This Year
Nik Caner-Medley F 6-8 240 (tweener forward, probably small forward, modest talent)
Mustafa Shakur G 6-3 190 (big PG, questionable smarts/intensity)
Darryl Watkins C 6-11 258 (shotblocking/rebounding PF/C, athlete, no scoring, shaky focus)
Oliver Lafayette G 6-2 180 (apparently University of Houston 14.3pts 5.9reb 3.1ast 35.4FG% )
Keith Butler C 7-1 255 (uh...the nexct Ben Gillery. Out of DePaul. Averaged, as a senior, 1.8pts 2.2rebs. But he's tall)

Been Out For A few Years, But Never in NBA
Pooh Jeter G 5-11 170 (came close to sticking as PG in camp for us last year, but marginal)
Christian Maraker F 6-9 235 (marginal tweener forward out of UOP, not power player)
Major Wingate C 6-10 250 (potential sleeper -- bigtime athlete at PF/C, but clueless, misses all the details, bombed out of college for drugs)
David Young G 6-5 205 (apparently a 2nd round pick by the Sonics in 2004, no idea where he's been)

Gotta say, overall not as nifty a list as last year's I think, when in particular we had Justin, who I thought was the steal of the undrafteds. Here...guess Wingate, Watkins and Shakur would be the guys I would be watching. But all three have gotten the least out of their talent thus far.

Last edited:
I expect that most of these guys aren't going to be all that great, but I already know something I'm going to miss when Summer League's over: having 8 players on the roster who average 6'11"/248.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
major wingate? how do these people get their names? i want an awesome name like that.

i'm naming my kid optimus prime.
I agree.

Major Wingate should make the team based soley on his name.

We have nothing else to lose, and hey...According to Brick he's an athlete...So he should make our team by default.

;)

I agree.

Major Wingate should make the team based soley on his name.

We have nothing else to lose, and hey...According to Brick he's an athlete...So he should make our team by default.

;)
Maybe we can get Happy Hairston and World B. Free on the coaching staff.

Caner-Medley was undrafted LAST year. And he pretty much stinks. Can have range, but was horrible against all top level college opponents, and torched the weak ones.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Pooh Jeter was an all-star in the NBDL this year and started their all-star game. But he is still 5-11. But a really good ball handler.

Last edited:
As an aside there is no way in HELL Justin Williams weighs 260, unless he's got a big ole Oliver Miller gut on him. 50lbs in 6 months or so = no.

Unless....

Do you think he knows Barry Bonds? :p
Unless he was hanging out with Mike Sweetney and eating some good home cookin!!! :p

or maybe know that I hear about Ron's little bro Daniel at 280 lbs and all of 6' 5"! ;-)

Last edited:
He is Ron's younger brother, but hardly "little" - his failure to be less substantial is probably why he couldn't talk his way into a spot on the roster of the NBADL Albuquerque Thunderbirds a year and a half ago, and why I don't think he has any shot at our roster either. As Mark and Brent Price demonstrated, being someone's younger brother doesn't mean much.

yesssssss im glad christian maraker is back on there...hes from UOP, (stockton, ca), he led the team that took number 3 boston college into double overtime in the ncaa tourney on 06, shoulda had that damn game...