Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
I don't see any news about the Kings letting Richaun walk for nothing. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion or bring up Bogi when it was never our plan to let Bogi walk for nothing in the first place.
Nobody plans to let anybody walk for nothing. Good GM’s plan to make sure it doesn’t happen. That said I think the Kings have a good chance of keeping Holmes because people don’t want to spend on centers.

it wasn’t my point. I was clarifying what I thought he said. I wouldn’t have traded Holmes. I would have traded Barnes into Boston’s TPE which would have created cap space for signing Richaun.
So you would have literally given something for nothing, and that something is far more valuable around the league?

This was a junk trade. I am assuming that they are not bringing back Holmes? So we got a lesser version of Holmes? I just assume sign another underappreciated big, to take Holmes spot. Not trade a guard I like for a guy that's only good for 10-15mins a game. Basically Thompson is a guy we can sign for the minimum.......... Makes no sense.

Now drafting a slow, rebounding shot blocking plodding center? Since when were these players even coveted again? I thought the league switched to bigs who can shoot the 3, and run the floor?

Could have had Mason Plumlee for less and he's a much better player than TT.
EXACTLY. There are players out there we can get for the minimum or close to it that are MUCH better than Thompson. I don't even know why Thompson is still in the league? Because he was with one team and knew their system? I assume since he's now going from team to team he will probably be out of the league in a year or two, because he's not very talented, and having to learn new systems rather than knowing his role, he will be ineffective.

Ok, so you're making up trades that may/may not have been on the table. Also taking back Thompson in a deal for Barnes vs. a player of actual value is selling low on Barnes.

Turning CoJo into Thompson via Wright is a lot different imho.
It looks like it's a lot different until you look at the metrics and realize that Wright was actually a better player last year and has actually been on average a better player throughout most of his career than Barnes. He had plenty of value and if other teams didn't see that, then you hold on to him and utilize his value on the court. Players get hurt all the time. There would have been playing time for Wright.

People are trying to minimize it by saying this dude was just a backup but he was a hidden gem when it came to analytics and our supposed analytics guru of a GM just gave him up for a ham sandwich.

People are trying to minimize it by saying this dude was just a backup but he was a hidden gem when it came to analytics and our supposed analytics guru of a GM just gave him up for a ham sandwich.
Yeah, DW has size, can play 1 or 2, defend, shoot from distance... not a star, obviously, but a very solid player, especially off the bench, w/no obvious weaknesses. Thompson can rebound and by most accounts is a solid locker room presence and hopefully a good mentor to our young bigs.

This is the first move from Monte that makes me frown - but at the end of the day it IS backup for backup and our backcourt still looks strong, so...

It looks like it's a lot different until you look at the metrics and realize that Wright was actually a better player last year and has actually been on average a better player throughout most of his career than Barnes. He had plenty of value and if other teams didn't see that, then you hold on to him and utilize his value on the court. Players get hurt all the time. There would have been playing time for Wright.

Yeah, if TT stays, this seems like a move to cover our basis if Holmes leaves in FA, so we were willing to sacrifice value. Stunned Delon Wright couldn't get more, but we also got him for a ham sandwich+ a bag of chips as well. Perhaps the league just doesn't value him for some reason.

If he's so amazing how come the best Detroit could get for him was CoJo who they just waived?

I liked him fine while he was here but acting like we were sitting on a goldmine is maybe a bit of a stretch?

Like I'm pretty sure Monte didn't make his two picks on Thursday and spend all Friday with his thumb up his arse and suddenly a call came in offering Thompson for Wright and he was like F yeah baby! He's probably (understatement) working multiple deals all around and knows the value of his players that he has deemed surplus. Surely they all come up when talking about moves for Buddy and Bagley and even Barnes.

Frankly I think TT on an expiring is going to have a lot of value at the deadline this year for playoff teams looking to shore up their frontcourt depth.

At the end of games, Mitchell, in college, has shown he can pressure. Fox has the tools to pressure. Barnes can do it as well. That leaves Hali as the only unknown. While the five spot roams the paint.
Yeah, to me, there is now truly no excuse not to be right up on guys. If the league is calling it too soft next year like they have in the last 5-6 years, then you might have problems. Find out for sure first though.

We have to see what happens with Davis. The hope now has to be that he slides right under the radar in FA. If in the end it was either Davis or Wright, I'm sure we'd all pick Davis. Right?

Could have had Mason Plumlee for less and he's a much better player than TT.
IDK man. I'm in Denver right now, and I've seen a lot of Plumlee. Anything over 12 minutes is a roll of the dice. My friends and I joke that Plumlee giveth, and Plumlee taketh away. TT is a little more consistent for a longer period of time.

That aside, it's hard to get worked up about backups being traded for backups, or, if things go pear shaped, a back up being traded for a potential starter. I would rather have TD anyway, and I don't think the FO is worried about losing Holmes unless someone makes a ridiculous offer. If that happens, TT starts and there are minutes for the young guys.

We have to see what happens with Davis. The hope now has to be that he slides right under the radar in FA. If in the end it was either Davis or Wright, I'm sure we'd all pick Davis. Right?
Definite appeal in having 2 23 year olds a 22 year old and 21 year old in the backcourt all locked up for 3+ years for cheap (assuming Davis isn't more than like 5-6mil/season). That's as explosive and complete back-court rotation as there is in the NBA. Especially if Davis continues to find his rookie form and play high level defense again.

I wonder if this was a Luke Walton push. He's a LA guy + TT gone Hollywood.. they might run in circles. Maybe Luke thinking he can get something out of him still.

If he's so amazing how come the best Detroit could get for him was CoJo who they just waived?

I liked him fine while he was here but acting like we were sitting on a goldmine is maybe a bit of a stretch?

Like I'm pretty sure Monte didn't make his two picks on Thursday and spend all Friday with his thumb up his arse and suddenly a call came in offering Thompson for Wright and he was like F yeah baby! He's probably (understatement) working multiple deals all around and knows the value of his players that he has deemed surplus. Surely they all come up when talking about moves for Buddy and Bagley and even Barnes.

Frankly I think TT on an expiring is going to have a lot of value at the deadline this year for playoff teams looking to shore up their frontcourt depth.
He's not a goldmine but he's a very effective player for what his perceived value around the league is. If McNair was really an analytics guru, he would have recognized this and either used him or waited for a better deal. Think Moneyball. The Kings are in a similar situation as the A's and they just gave up Scott Hatteberg for an emergency catcher.

Just because Detroit was dumb enough to give him up for CoJo, doesn't mean the Kings need to be dumb enough to do the same thing. If I buy a car for 50% of what a car is worth, I'm not going to turn around and sell it for half off myself because that's what I paid for it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on TT's value. These other teams are getting extra first rounders by trading players of value. We aren't going to get anything of value back on a below average player on an expiring.

Last edited:
Yeah, DW has size, can play 1 or 2, defend, shoot from distance... not a star, obviously, but a very solid player, especially off the bench, w/no obvious weaknesses. Thompson can rebound and by most accounts is a solid locker room presence and hopefully a good mentor to our young bigs.

This is the first move from Monte that makes me frown - but at the end of the day it IS backup for backup and our backcourt still looks strong, so...
the only logical reason I can see for this trade is we may well need a center if we lose Holmes. We only have our mid-level exception and we also need a wing. At least this keeps our mid-level to target a wing.

I think Detroit also got two seconds did they not? Just because the Kings have traditionally gotten no value from 2nds doesn’t mean that fact is true for all teams.