Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
On the Kings herald pod it sounded like this trade is two fold.

1. we had to get extra salary to act as an above cap team.

2. This was injury protection. When our bigs were hurt last year we had nothing NBA ready to back them up.

Makes a lot of sense to deal from a position of strength to accomplish this.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

2. This was injury protection. When our bugs were hurt last year we had nothing NBA ready to back them up.

#2 actually makes sense, particularly with Mitchell on board and TD coming back.

I don't understand #1. We could have executed the trade if we were below the cap. We're getting the larger salary so it's not like we're getting a TPE back that we need to fuss with cap stuff over. Because of our cap holds, we were acting as an above the cap team anyway. Did they have a real explanation about this or were they just blowing smoke trying to sound smart?

2. This was injury protection. When our bigs were hurt last year we had nothing NBA ready to back them up.

I guess, but then we went out and signed a top-tier back-up C in Alex Len? Invested in a C only prospect at 39? Jones and Metu both showed signs at the end of last year they could play some decent C minutes. And of course gave the big contract to Holmes.

If Holmes went down, I'd be confident enough in a Len/Metu/Bagley/Neemias (assuming Jones gets released and Bagley stays) C rotation to give you enough production to fill 48 minutes

#2 actually makes sense, particularly with Mitchell on board and TD coming back.

I don't understand #1. We could have executed the trade if we were below the cap. We're getting the larger salary so it's not like we're getting a TPE back that we need to fuss with cap stuff over. Because of our cap holds, we were acting as an above the cap team anyway. Did they have a real explanation about this or were they just blowing smoke trying to sound smart?
I think you had also pointed out that if we took TT on before we signed the other contracts we had more trade flexibility than if we do it using the over the cap rules. Makes no sense to me either. I could see Atlanta or Boston needing to wait for one reason or another given all the stupid signings Atlanta is making that seem almost guaranteed to put them in repeater land before they even have to decide on what to do next season.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I think you had also pointed out that if we took TT on before we signed the other contracts we had more trade flexibility than if we do it using the over the cap rules. Makes no sense to me either. I could see Atlanta or Boston needing to wait for one reason or another given all the stupid signings Atlanta is making that seem almost guaranteed to put them in repeater land before they even have to decide on what to do next season.
Yep, if we had taken him into cap space (by traading for him at the end of the '20-'21 season instead of the beginning of the '21-'22 season) we could have bundled him in a trade for salary purposes immediately, instead of having to wait two months. It's certainly possible that another team had to wait, but it doesn't make mush sense to me that it was us.

Yes, it was James Ham on the pod that said because of the timing and layering of the contracts we needed to enact the trade and sign Davion before we had the early bird on Harkless and Holmes for the next season.

TT makes about 1.3mm more than weight for next season.

Yes, it was James Ham on the pod that said because of the timing and layering of the contracts we needed to enact the trade and sign Davion before we had the early bird on Harkless and Holmes for the next season.
So that would indicate no need to wait since Davion signed before today, so if Ham is trying to explain today's date that makes zero sense but it's Ham.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
These two statements seem contradictory, unless I was misinterpreting the first one the whole time. I thought you meant that Ham said we had to get extra salary by signing players before we could execute the trade. But it appears you may have meant that we had to execute the trade first in order to get more salary. The thing is, even though that assumption makes the two statements concordant, it still doesn't make any sense. We were already acting as an above-the-cap team due to our non-guaranteed contracts and cap holds.

Sounds to me like the podcast was delivering some Ham-fisted information. Keep in mind, Ham isn't so great at all this CBA stuff. He is not a lawyer (though his wife is).

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
If Celtics pull off a sign-and-trade for Dennis Schroder, one path to acquiring him would be via a record breaking eight-team trade scenario (ATL/BOS/SAC deal worked into Westbrook five-team trade)
I'm all for anything that gets us a little extra value. If we can basically reset the Wright trade with getting 1 or two 2nds back, that makes us losing value in the TT-Wright swap easier to digest.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the hold up is here. Unless Boston is trying to rope in a Dennis Schroder S&T somehow? But if the deal was "as reported", why hasn't it... been reported?

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the hold up is here. Unless Boston is trying to rope in a Dennis Schroder S&T somehow? But if the deal was "as reported", why hasn't it... been reported?
Schroder wants too much $ and too many years (on the contract), which Boston does not want (i.e. Bonziitis).
There are other options now too, such as Dennis Smith Jr., who was just released from Detroit.

We need defense and rebounds, two things we terrible at. The third hidden thing that we all know but Monte will not openly say is the guys we got are soft AF. TT can rebound and chew people out. 2 out of 3 I’ll take it