Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters
Vlades biggest mess was probably hiring Luke Walton. Still here? Check. Vlade made mistakes in some drafts, over signed in FA which created issues but he cleared up some of his own messes pretty efficiently I'd say. And he brought the team De'Aaron Fox. Thank you big fella!
That is assuming that Marv will pan out for us in your scenario.

In my defense, he's been injured so often its almost like he hasn't been on the team at all
Fogetting Bagley is probably what he wants at this point. Somebody needs to make one of those Homer sliding back in to the bushes gifs together with Marvin in his place. Where's Brick when you need him!

yeah as a semi Boston fan and Atlanta fan I love this for both of them. Atlanta needs a back up point who can shoot 3’s and play good defense. Wright does that. Boston hated Thompson and wanted to get off his salary and this trade does that.

For the Kings they gave up 2 seconds and took on salary to get Wright and now took on more salary to get a player Boston wanted to dump.
I really don't understand it at all. McNair says he's an analytics guy and trades one of the better analytic players for a player with bad analytics that offers little rim protection with inefficient scoring for his position.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There’s zero reason to be mad here. It’s a necessity move of guys who don’t set the world on fire. Delon was nice, but has bounced around for some reason despite seeming like a guy who would have a little more value. Doesnt help the Kings aren’t exactly playing from a position of power when the league is probably well aware they need to shed 23 more guards to balance the roster.

That said, it’s not at all exciting either. Haha

Onto the next.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much to see here. A backup guard on a one year deal traded for a backup center on a one year deal.

Drafting Mitchell meant there wouldn't be minutes for Wright and while ideally the Kings re-sign Holmes to a reasonable deal, Thompson could end up being a starter if he doesn't return.

Unless there are significant additional deals to improve the Kings I'd say this Kings team with Thompson starting is worse than last year and won't make the playoffs.

So (1) I think it's still important to try to bring back Richaun as long as the contract isn't exorbitant and (2) this team still needs to try to move Buddy Hield and possibly Bagley if there's anything of value out there for him.

There’s zero reason to be mad here. It’s a necessity move of guys who don’t set the world on fire. Delon was nice, but has bounced around for some reason despite seeming like a guy who would have a little more value. Doesnt help the Kings aren’t exactly playing from a position of power when the league is probably well aware they need to shed 23 more guards to balance the roster.

Onto the next.
They traded a couple second rounders and cost themselves a bit over $10million in cap space to be able to get the honor of having Delon Wright for about a month and a half during a losing season and then flipped that investment for an inferior and below average player in Tristan Thompson. Plus McNair lost all his leverage by drafting Mitchell and making it very obvious he had to clear space at the guard position.

Makes zero sense from the Kings standpoint but hey congrats to Atlanta for getting a real solid player for peanuts.

I really don't understand it at all. McNair says he's an analytics guy and trades one of the better analytic players for a player with bad analytics that offers little rim protection with inefficient scoring for his position.
Yeah, I’ve defended McNair’s previous moves because, even if they did not add up to a clear direction, they each found reasonably good value looking at them individually. To be consistent, I have to say that Wright for Thompson doesn’t strike me as good value, even if more moves are coming.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They traded a couple second rounders and cost themselves a bit over $10million in cap space to be able to get the honor of having Delon Wright for about a month and a half during a losing season and then flipped that investment for an inferior and below average player in Tristan Thompson. Plus McNair lost all his leverage by drafting Mitchell and making it very obvious he had to clear space at the guard position.

Makes zero sense from the Kings standpoint but hey congrats to Atlanta for getting a real solid player for peanuts.
While I'm not his biggest fan, I do think you're underselling Thompson a bit here. Also the ultimate judgement should wait until we see what he trade Thompson for.

Yeah, color me uninspired by this move. I realize the guard pool needs to be lightened, but not at the expense of trading better players away for lesser players.

That’s akin to drafting for need rather than BPA. Which I rarely like.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Counterpoint; they totally almost WIN-NOW’d into the prestigious play-in tournament.

Onto the next.
Well we spent 2 draft picks to go from 2.4M guaranteed to 9.7M guaranteed. Seems like a good use of assets.