Kidd to Sacramento?

M

Markezi

Will Kidd Follow Martin, Kittles Out the Door?
Wednesday, September 15, 2004

ESPN.com news services

The Nets spawned a negative backlash among their fans with the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. And it could get worse -- for the fans and organization alike.

In what would be considered a complete dismantling of the team, the Nets have discussed a blockbuster trade that would send superstar point guard Jason Kidd to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Trail Blazers president Steve Patterson has acknowledged that the teams have talked about such a deal. The New York Daily News, citing several NBA sources, reported that talks have been held for the last few days.

Nets CEO Rod Thorn told the newspaper Tuesday night that New Jersey is not close to dealing Kidd.

"I don't comment on anything regarding players," Thorn said.

The Nets are continuing to look at ways to cut payroll under new owner Bruce Ratner.

Their trade of Martin, a restricted free agent, to the Nuggets in a sign-and-trade deal for draft picks and veteran guard Kittles to the Clippers left Kidd irate. The Nets apparently are concerned how Kidd will deal with the roster changes and the franchise's sinking status in the East.

Kidd has yet to demand a trade, but he's let management know that he would accept deals to several Western Conference teams, including Sacramento, Minnesota and Dallas.

By dealing Martin and Kittles, the Nets reduced payroll from over $60 million to $49 million. The savings will help Ratner avoid paying the NBA luxury tax.

It appears that the Blazers might be one of only a handful of teams that would deal for Kidd without fearing the state of his recently repaired knee. Kidd has been rehabbing his knee and might miss all of training camp and possibly the first several weeks of the season.

The Blazers also are unafraid to take on big contracts; Kidd's has five years and $90 million remaining on it. The salary cap numbers would work in a Nets-Blazers deal: Kidd will make $14.8 million this season, while Abdur-Rahim, who has demanded to be traded, makes $14.6 million.

Meanwhile, the Nets on Wednesday waived backup guard Lucious Harris, who averaged 7.7 points, 1.6 assists and 2.6 rebounds in 456 games since being acquired in June 1997 as part of an eight-player trade with Philadelphia.

Harris' most productive season in New Jersey was 2002-03, when he averaged 10.3 points. The 11-year veteran played a big part in helping the Nets win two Eastern Division titles. He finishes his Nets career ranked sixth in games played and fifth in 3-pointers made with 236.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only way that Kidd would be on his way to Sacramento is in a trade that involved Mike Bibby. It would make no sense to pay $90 million to improve depth at a position we don't need to. Also, we'd need to throw in another player for the salary numbers to work. I don't see this happening as Jason Kidd does not provide us with anything we are missing on this team. We have a great PG already, and I don't think anyone is unhappy with Bibby's performance over the last few years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This article was already posted in the NBA forum...

Did I miss something? I don't see any mention of Sacramento in the article. I certainly can't think of any reasons we would want to dump Bibby.

M

Markezi

We have two of the best point guards in the league - that is one position we absolutely do NOT need to mess with.

Obviously Kidd is from Northern California and I'm not surprised to see Sacramento on his wish list. Still - no way.

Man, if the Nets pull the trigger on the Abdur-Rahim deal they will be very crappy.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Markezi said:

Kidd has yet to demand a trade, but he's let management know that he would accept deals to several Western Conference teams, including Sacramento, Minnesota and Dallas.

I'm sure Kidd would accept a trade to Sacramento. Of course at this point the question is why would we want him? Can't imagine who we'd trade for him except Webber, and trading him for Webb makes no sense as we trade big for small, get no younger, get no healthier, get if anything a more problematic personality back (one who undermined his own coach less than a year ago) and already have a PG.

Otherwise Kidd's contract is so big that you would have to trade Doug Christie AND either Peja or Miller for him, or Bibby and either Tag or Bobby or some such. If Kidd's healthy, maybe you consider something like that. Maybe. But as it is...

VF21 said:
This article was already posted in the NBA forum...

Did I miss something?
It was barely thre and would be silly for us to do.

I love Kidd, but he is a huge question mark with his health. Besides, The Nets are in the process of dumping salary, they want as little as possible back in return. That leaves Bibby and Webber out of any discussion. They'll end up trading him to a team with expiring contracts and maybe a promising young player under a rookie contract.

Bballkingsrock said:
we can trade Doug Christie. Do you think its a good idea?
No, its terrible.
Kidd is old and way overpaid.
While also overpaid Christie is one of the most underrated players in the league. He and Webb carried us in the playoffs.

The only thing I like what we would be getting from Kidd is leadership. It would be Kidd's team, not Webber's, not Peja's. But for reasons already stated in this thread, it's nowhere near worth the cost/risks.

Lamar_Odom said:
That's a good deal for the Kings but the Nets won't give up Jefferson for Christie.
Well, what a bummer....guess we will have to give up hope for the All Micro-Fracture Team. What a shame. We shall call off the other deals for Hardaway and Najara now.

I'd rather see Kidd in a Kings uni than Richard Jefferson. The guy really, REALLY, is not as good as people make him out to be. How HE winds up starting for the U.S. Olympic team is beyond me. Talks trash, can't back it up, really has nothing to show for his career... do we really need another Chris Webber on this team? I definitely don't think so.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
JayBird said:
I'd rather see Kidd in a Kings uni than Richard Jefferson. The guy really, REALLY, is not as good as people make him out to be. How HE winds up starting for the U.S. Olympic team is beyond me. Talks trash, can't back it up, really has nothing to show for his career... do we really need another Chris Webber on this team? I definitely don't think so.
Oh we could definitely use another Chris Webber on the team, but that's because he can shoot, pass and rebound as well as any forward in the game. Jefferson? He'd better pray that Kidd doesn't get traded because Jason has been propping up Jefferson like nobody's business ever since he came into the league. What do you call a non-rebounding, non-shooting, non-passing SF when you take away his all fastbreak all the time PG? You call him a roleplayer.

Bricklayer said:
Oh we could definitely use another Chris Webber on the team, but that's because he can shoot, pass and rebound as well as any forward in the game. Jefferson? He'd better pray that Kidd doesn't get traded because Jason has been propping up Jefferson like nobody's business ever since he came into the league. What do you call a non-rebounding, non-shooting, non-passing SF when you take away his all fastbreak all the time PG? You call him a roleplayer.
Jefferson is developing a jump shot, is an excellent man up defender, has athleticism to get to the hole, and is just 24. He's much more than a role player.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Am I the only one thinking about the ramifications of having Jason Kidd and Doug Christie on the same team? Don't get me wrong. I like Doug and have no problem at all with his gestures to Jackie...

But, if he's gesturing to Jackie, and Kidd is blowing kisses to the backboard, what would be next? Slamson with semaphors???

;)