KHTK

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know I'm going to set my alarm so I can hear Dave's first show with Deuce and Morgan. (Okay, I may have to wait for the podcast...) I hope everybody tunes in so that KHTK can see the numbers Dave can draw without Keith Brooks there to drive listeners away.

It's a great day for sports radio in Sacramento!

I stopped listening to 1140 in the morning when Keith Brooks started. Honestly, I listen mainly to 650am in the morning. BUT, with Keith gone I'll give 1140 another listen...

Think it's important to say that as much as I don't like Keith's radio presence, I do feel bad that he may be out of a job. An unpleasant thing to go through.
Save some of your sympathy for the other million people who are out of work. Most of them much worse off, I'm sure.

New morning show: Dave, Deuce, Morgan
Mid Day: Jason Ross, Nate Goodyear, Mike D who will go by his actual name Cory
Afternoon: Grant

More focus on local sports

Morning show gets a lot better. Mid day gets worse and will presumably again have the same ratings issues that slot had in the past unless the team gets really good.

Great news.

Don't know why KHTK decided to try and be all edgy the last few years with idiots like Don Geronimo and Keith Brooks.

When deciding between Tom Tolbert and Ray Ratto or whatever crap KHTK has on, I usually go with the 3rd option and just turn the damn thing off.

THANK YOU RADIO GODS THAT keith brooks IS OFF THE AIR. If it means breaking up the noon show to get rid of that idiot then I'm good. Even if they need to reshuffle again in a year or two, at least I never have to hear that dude on my radio again.

Will actually tune into the morning show now.

He said he had the shows back because they really showed him love through everything that happened. He thanked the fans for the love theyve shown him and his family. It was really cool cause deuce, JRoss, and Morgan sounded really shocked to be talking to coach.

Thank god this buffoon is gone. He lacked knowledge, tact, wit, radio presence etc, etc. For a guy who has been on the air as long as he has, you would think he would be better at stringing together a few thoughts without having to throw a couple hundred “uh…uh’….uh”’s in between. And for those of you that feel sorry for the guy…don’t. I will really miss his repartee on fat chicks, fat people, ugly people, or any other juvenile, offensive observations he liked to pontificate on. Good riddance to this loser

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Think it's important to say that as much as I don't like Keith's radio presence, I do feel bad that he may be out of a job. An unpleasant thing to go through.
That's true, but I have little respect for those who don't show up and do their job in a professional manner. Keith acted like a teenager, has the intellect of a 10 yr old and never took the time to attempt to come across even semi-intelligently.

There's many more out there who bust their ass to do their best and hold themselves to a higher professional standard, yet lose their jobs. They are the ones I feel bad about, not some dude Keith's age talking and looking like he's in HS. He came across as he looked, which is not a professional and personally after growing up in a more formal NY environment, I have little tolerance for how laid back some in CA can be while thinking they come across as professional.

Dress for success, let your talk leave a mark. Keith failed on both accounts.

KHTK in general is run by a bunch of idiots who have no clue what they're doing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dave posted an incredible commentary about Joe that I thought was well worth sharing:

• Carmichael Dave
    32 mins · Edited ·
    I needed a day to gather my thoughts. I'll get to my thoughts on the future plenty in the coming weeks, but I can't do that without talking about my friend Little Joe Pittman.

Joe used to pick me up from my parents' house before I had a car and we would go to the radio station around 10-11pm, after all the other shows were over. He was the first of us to "officially" get into the building, with a key and everything.

We both grew up dreaming of being in radio, and had our ears glued to KHTK. So after all the "adults" were gone from the station, and the place was empty, we would sneak into one of the production rooms and try and do our own show. No one would hear, there were no commercials or guests, but we had our first real attempt at trying to do an actual broadcast. In fact, I still have those tapes somewhere. They were played not many years ago on the station, quite embarrassing.

It was three years ago TODAY that I was fired from KHTK, my first ever firing. Hopefully my last (but doubtful in this biz). Dealing with Joe being let go yesterday was damn near just as painful, because we had always dreamed of working in radio together.

Although our paths didn't always align, we were pretty much around each other for well over a decade. When I care about someone, I REALLY care about them. There are two guys in this business that it killed me not to work with. One is Sean Thomas, and I'm still not over that. The other is Joe.

Simply put- Joe is the most loyal, driven, talented producer in existence. His ability to deal with "talent", structure a show, book guests, and be the "glue" so necessary to a program is unrivaled. He is also what I would call a "locker room guy", someone who made the hallways an easier place to function.

Radio is a different beast. Your job is basically predicated on whether or not people like you. You, as a media member, are automatically opened up to various levels of criticism from people who assume they know you from your voice coming through a speaker. Even though radio people have spouses, children, and likely make less or as much than your average everyday person, they still get shots taken. Bottom line- you have to have a crazy mix of narcissism and humility to survive this business. Guys like Joe help take the edge off.

Three years ago today, I was fired. Thankfully, the station I work for realized they made an error and rectified it. Although I am hyper-loyal to my employer, I truly hope, I BEG, that they realize another mistake was made with Joe. He's not just a number, a slash necessary to make the bottom line. He is the oil in the engine, the glue in the wooden model airplane.

Joe will be fine. His wife Laura is a gem, and a gorgeous one at that. His children, Hannah and Jack, are around my kids' age, and surely will provide Joe with all the challenge he needs.

I have always tried to be as honest, open, and vulnerable as I possibly can be publicly, because I truly believe in community. This city has always supported me, and I feel part of the reason is that I've always been truthful.

If my employers read this, please know that I am very grateful to still have a job, and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity. When I say a mistake was made with Joe, understand that I mean that only with the best interests of KHTK in mind. Everything is always about the good of the station.

Life is a blur, and as I near 40, that statement has never rung more true. In that blur, meeting quality people that you want in the trenches with you is a rare occurrence. When you see it, when you recognize it, you feel a little strange and lost when that security blanket isn't there.

KHTK has had plenty of dysfunction and stormy days, but in that storm, there was a group of people that held onto each other like family. Joe was/is one of those people, and he will be sorely missed.

Until, hopefully soon, he is back.

Either way, I'd wish him luck, but he doesn't need it. Good people find that good things happen to them for a reason. In time, this will all be a good thing.

I truly believe it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

And all I ever will.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
New morning show: Dave, Deuce, Morgan
Mid Day: Jason Ross, Nate Goodyear, Mike D who will go by his actual name Cory
Afternoon: Grant

More focus on local sports

Morning show gets a lot better. Mid day gets worse and will presumably again have the same ratings issues that slot had in the past unless the team gets really good.
Does this mean the end of Celebrity Birthdays (Celebrity Birthdays!)? :(