KHTK

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, First of All, I hate radio call-in shows, in general. My point of view about such things is that, if I tune into a radio show, it's because I want to hear what the host thinks. I'm not really interested in hearing what some meathead townie (no offense) thinks, and I'm even less interested in hearing them call in, to argue about something that the previous caller said. I feel like, if you want everyone in town to hear the sound of your own voice, then you should get your own dammed show. But that's neither here nor there, and is off-topic from what I actually want to talk about.

I tune into KHTK online while I'm at work because, as an out-of-stater, it's my only way to get 'real time' discussion about the Kings, which basically means that I have to live with the call-in shows, so that's whatever. My problem comes on days like today: I'm tuned into the Deuce Mason and Jason Ross show, and they spent their entire first hour and the first fifteen minutes of their second hour talking about football.

IT'S WEDNESDAY!

There wasn't a football game played yesterday, there isn't a game being played tonight, and there won't be a game played tomorrow. There won't be a game played this weekend, either, unless you count the Pro Bowl and, why would you? Meanwhile, there is a Kings game tonight, and they got an hour and twenty minutes into a three-hour show, before they even brought it up.

I mean, I get that 'American Rules' football is the most popular sport in this country but, seriously, what the ****? Didn't KHTK used to stand for 'Home of The Kings'?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Follow up: after a ten-minute interview with Nets coach Lionel Hollins, they went to commercial, and now they're talking about football, again! This is a three-hour show, and they're on track to having spent an hour and fifty minutes of the first two hours talking about football, on a radio station that's in a town that doesn't even have a football team.

State of the team?

I'm listening to them also and I would rather talk about the Kings also, but the inflategate or whatever they want to call it has the focus on football.

I understand you don't like football, but I want Seattle to lose hard. And I don't like New England at all ..............

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Look, I've made peace with the fact that other people like football, and I don't. This isn't a case of 'stop liking what I don't like'. But it's Wednesday. The Super Bowl isn't for another ten days. The Kings play tonight!

Yep, it's not just relegated to the noon show, although in my experience they are pretty good about discussing the Kings. The morning show is baffling, since CD is such a huge Kings guy. Yesterday morning, I commuted to work from 7:30 to about 8:15am. Not one second of dicussion of the Portland game. They talked football and spent a few minutes talking Giants baseball.

It's not a rarity either. Either they are doing all of their Kings talk early in the A.M., or they're missing their target audience. Keith Brooks will steer that convo to football any chance he gets.

You know what other team is also in the state? The Kings.
The Kings are who I was referring to when I mentioned 'the state of the team.' Not the State of California. It's pretty pathetic that management has taken the team from being the "darlings" of the season to being second thought to how inflated the stupid balls were.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I wonder, in this current culture, if it's even possible for someone to get a daily show on sports radio in the US if they're not willing to at least pay lip service to the altar of football?

I remember when I first got into sports radio, around the turn of the century. It was an era that I, personally, considered to be the Golden Age of sports radio, simply because, if it wasn't a Monday, it was still possible to listen to 4+ consecutive hours of national sports radio and not hear anything about football. Ah, the good ol' days!

There was more kings talk when the team was playing well. I think after a few weeks of callers calling in and bashing their main revenue stream the higher ups instructed the hosts to minimize the kings talk for sake of protecting their partner. As others have noted its across all shows.

This isn't the first time this has happend, I remember when Maloof bashing was at an all time high they actually stopped taking calls all together on the "Kings Talk" show.

Grant did a similar thing when the Maloofs rejected the arena deal, the whole town was wanting to talk maloofs/kings and he said George says the team is staying and thats final now lets move on and talk Cowboys vs Redskins or something that no one locally had any interest in.

At the end of the day the kings keep the lights on at KHTK and they can only allow so much bashing, its a huge conflict of interest that is extremely obvious. Its not an open disscussion station about the kings, Its a propoganda station for the kings.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We're not even getting the propaganda, though. I mean, I've already made my opinion of call-in shows known; I would gladly take three hours of pro-Kings propaganda over three hours of listener calls talking about football, when the next football game is ten days away.

It'd be one thing if there were 49ers news, or Raiders news; at least I would get that.

We're not even getting the propaganda, though. I mean, I've already made my opinion of call-in shows known; I would gladly take three hours of pro-Kings propaganda over three hours of listener calls talking about football, when the next football game is ten days away.
To be fair I'd wager that you'd take three hours of pr0-Kings propaganda over live radio coverage of an NFL playoff game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
To be fair I'd wager that you'd take three hours of pr0-Kings propaganda over live radio coverage of an NFL playoff game.
:D

If I came home, and they were playing the Super Bowl in my back yard, I would burn my own house down.

But, my personal contempt for football aside, like I said, I get it when people in Sacramento want to talk about the Niners or the Raiders. I even get that they want to talk about the Super Bowl. But there's no Niners news, and there's no Raiders news, and the Big Game is not until a week from Sunday, and the Kings -and this is the important part- play tonight. I'm not trying to say that nobody should ever talk about football (although that would make me happy) but, and I can't stress this enough, it's Wednesday!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Slim - You do understand the possible ramifications of the whole Patriots doctoring the football thing, right? This would be the second time the Patriots were found guilty of doing something illegal to obtain an unfair advantage in a game. Bill Bellichek (Patriots head coach) seems to feel he's above the rules and that's what has a lot of people up in arms. It's a pretty timely topic considering the NFL just found out today that 11 of the 12 game balls used in the first half by the Patriots had been tampered with.

As far as the Kings go, there's not that much new to be talked about right now.

Just being fair, there's not much going on with the Kings. Everytime we've all talked about here on KF, has been talked about a million times everywhere else too. No real news right now.

Talking about the Raider's off season is probably more exciting than talking about the current King's season..

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Just being fair, there's not much going on with the Kings. Everytime we've all talked about here on KF, has been talked about a million times everywhere else too. No real news right now.
That may be true but, as I said in the OP, I tune into a radio program because I'm interested in what the host thinks.

That may be true but, as I said in the OP, I tune into a radio program because I'm interested in what the host thinks.
Well, you probably received that listening to the midday show. Deuce and Jason literally spin their wheels for entire shows without really saying anything of substance and only taking a few calls here and there. I thought you were going to refer to Grant's show. He just goes through his callers like its a checklist. In general, 1140 is really subpar when it comes to sports radio ... I hope that you are only tuning in from GA for the Kings talk.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, you probably received that listening to the midday show. Deuce and Jason literally spin their wheels for entire shows without really saying anything of substance and only taking a few calls here and there. I thought you were going to refer to Grant's show. He just goes through his callers like its a checklist. In general, 1140 is really subpar when it comes to sports radio ... I hope that you are only tuning in from GA for the Kings talk.
I don't spend much time listening to Napear, because his show starts near the end of my shift: remember that 15:00 for you guys is 18:00 for me. My typical weekday routine is to listen to the last two hours of Keith Brooks and Carmichael Dave, then cut the thing off when they switch to Jim Rome (whom I can't stand) and listen to the podcast-ed Tony Kornheiser Show + music for the next three hours (once a week, I'll listen to the Short Corner podcast and/or Colt Cabana's podcast, instead of the music), and then I turn the thing back on for Deuce Mason and Jason Ross, which ends up being a mistake more often than it isn't. By the time Napear's show comes on, I'm typically doing part of my job which doesn't put me in a position where I can sit down and listen to it, anyway.

But yeah, based on what I've heard, Napear's show is the worst. The only thing worse than the Jim Rome show is a cheap, watered-down knock off of the Jim Rome show. I do indeed tune into KHTK because I want to hear the Kings talk: I don't root for the Giants or the Athletics, even when I can be bothered to pay attention to baseball, and I obviously don't give a rat's ass about the Niners or the Raiders. AFAIC, the Kings are the only reason to ever listen to that station.

I think overall KHTK (CBS) is very mediocre sports talk radio. Bay Area is better although only listen to it when driving over there. ESPN radio is excellent but of course national and not Kings related. I've said for decades Napear is horrible on the radio, an arrogant know it all arse, zero sense of humor, talks endlessly about "his" NY Giants, "his" NY Yankees, like we in Sac want to hear this garbage. Dude could never make it in highly competitive big city market nor even in his beloved NYC. He'd long ago been run out of town anywhere else for incessantly shoving out of area teams down everyone's throat - worst biased NYC homer of all time, IMO!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm going to have to find extra podcasts to start downloading. Listening to this show on a Wednesday appears to be a waste of my time.

EDIT - Okay, scratch that. Show has become relevant to my interests again. And, I am definitely on Team Ice. Also, much love for the random WNBA mention.

Last edited:
I have to agree with caller into shows. Maybe a once a week sort of fan day, like fan Fridays or something. Who cares what typically the callers call in about? Get guests if you need to fill air space, or figure out what you want to talk about. Hell even start a poll at a site like this, or their own website and give a sort of review on a relevant issue or topic.

It was 2 days after the Super Bowl participants were decided and there as a controversy unfolding to boot yet you are somehow surprised they'd be talking about the NFL? I think you are a bit naive on this one.

It isn't just KHTK. ESPN Radio, Jim Rome - every single National show was talking about the same thing and for most the duration of their show. I think Grant Napear has said before, his topics are decided upon what his audience wants to talk about. Unfortunate as it is, not too many people want to talk about the Kings right now. It's been weeks since Michael Malone was fired and the team has pretty much floundered ever since, thus interest has waned.

It'll take a some consistent good play and/or PDA getting fired to get the mainstream natives interested again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It was 2 days after the Super Bowl participants were decided and there as a controversy unfolding to boot yet you are somehow surprised they'd be talking about the NFL? I think you are a bit naive on this one.
First of All™, if you're talking about the OP, that was made last week. Second of all, regardless of whether you're referring to the OP or the post I made today, you're confusing disdain with surprise. I'm not surprised that they're talking about the NFL; I'm just dismayed by it.

Even then, it's not nearly as annoying as it was last week, as I expect talk about the Super Bowl to dominate this week. But still, it's not like the Kings don't play tonight.

First of All™, if you're talking about the OP, that was made last week. Second of all, regardless of whether you're referring to the OP or the post I made today, you're confusing disdain with surprise. I'm not surprised that they're talking about the NFL; I'm just dismayed by it.

Even then, it's not nearly as annoying as it was last week, as I expect talk about the Super Bowl to dominate this week. But still, it's not like the Kings don't play tonight.
Yes, sorry - I was replying to the OP. My bad for not making that clear. As for your disdain, I can certainly understand it given your dislike of the sport. But I think it should have been an expected dominant topic of discussion for reasons already given. But, to your point, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the local station and carrier of Kings broadcasts to devote a bit more time talking about the team.

My friend recommended ESPN 1320 to me. Whitey and Kreidler. It's local and they don't take a lot of calls. I like them so much better than grants show.
Yeah - I listen to them too. I go back and forth depending upon what's being discussed at the moment. I think Kreidler is actually a fairly good listen and as objective as one could reasonably expect these days.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yes, sorry - I was replying to the OP. My bad for not making that clear. As for your disdain, I can certainly understand it given your dislike of the sport. But I think it should have been an expected dominant topic of discussion for reasons already given. But, to your point, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect the local station and carrier of Kings broadcasts to devote a bit more time talking about the team.
You know what? I get that football is popular, and the Super Bowl is on Sunday, and this whole "deflate" business is big in the news, but let's not kid ourselves: it's a three hour show, and it's not like there's three hour's worth of unbroken ground to cover on this topic. There's not even an hour's worth. I don't see why they couldn't dedicate an hour of their show to football, and an hour to the Kings, and then a third hour on whatever, whether it be their "truth or trash" schtick, or even (ugh!) taking phone calls.

Slim - You do understand the possible ramifications of the whole Patriots doctoring the football thing, right? This would be the second time the Patriots were found guilty of doing something illegal to obtain an unfair advantage in a game. Bill Bellichek (Patriots head coach) seems to feel he's above the rules and that's what has a lot of people up in arms. It's a pretty timely topic considering the NFL just found out today that 11 of the 12 game balls used in the first half by the Patriots had been tampered with.

As far as the Kings go, there's not that much new to be talked about right now.
Man, I wish the Kings would start cheating... I am not sure what they should do, but if it meant winning, I'd be for it.

Let's see, they could:
- Overinflate the basketball so it bounces higher and faster to help with the up-tempo game.
- More flopping - if they can lose a game because of an untimely flop, why not do it ourselves?
- Fans could disconnect power to the arena whenever the Kings are 20 points behind...
- Shoes lined with Flubber... it worked in the movies...
- Air-Bud: there has to be a dog that can play a mean 2 guard.
- Remember the tag-team duo the Killer Bees? They would wear masks and would hide under the mat and switch masks with other wrestlers to continue fighting... I think we need DMC and Hollins to switch jerseys so DMC can get 12 fouls a game.
- Steroids... The Kings could sell them to make money.
- Dead spots in the floor... we need lots of them and have Collison memorize the map of them...

And other ideas?

My friend recommended ESPN 1320 to me. Whitey and Kreidler. It's local and they don't take a lot of calls. I like them so much better than grants show.
Yep they are much better. But last time I checked their stream online, and it's been several months, there was no stream. Luckily I live in Sac so I can listen over the air.