Keys to Kings' Upcoming Season

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sono said:
It's his opinion, I think many would have said the same thing if we signed Walker instead of Shareef.
I don't think much of Bonzi as a person either. However unless he blows up on the court (always possible) that's irrelevant in trying to win basketball games. He's the best pickup not because he's the nicest guy -- history is rife with complete *******s who become big time winners -- but because he provides the things, defense, rebounding, toughness, that literally nobody else in our starting lineup has at this point.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
How can you possibly judge how he'll do as a King at this point in time? It only seems fair to let him actually step on the court in a Kings uniform before you make that decision, doesn't it?
I may not have seen him in a kings jersey, but ive seen him in portland, memphis, etc. would you take shawn bradley? of course you would say no (assuming you arent crazy), and thats how i think the "seems fair to let him actually step on the court in a Kings uniform before you make that decision" doesnt really fit. whatever, as i said, its my opinion. I think i at least have the entitlement to that

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
KingKong said:
Kings113 said:
Bonzi coming off the bench is the most stupid thing I've read this off-season. It's not happening at all.

He's gonna be real good for us.

It's not like Bonzi is a bad/average defender anyways.
No need to attack the poster, he's just stating his opinion.:)
Okay, this is a minor pet peeve of mine:

There is a fairly significant difference between attacking a poster, and attacking what a poster just wrote, and some people around here really need to learn to differentiate between the two.

Hi guys! I'm new here but has long been a kings fan so bare with me if I go a little bit adrift on what the topic is.Question...aren't Mo and Songaila restricted free agents? If they are, can't we use them as trade baits to get better players who can play defense?Why not get another big man who is good on defense and has a decent offensive game like chandler perhaps?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KINGS16 - Welcome to the board.

You need to take some time and get the lay of the land, so to speak. We're a thread-based forum, which means we try and have separate threads for different topics of discussion. We've talked about Mo Evans and Darius at length. If you go back a few pages in the thread index, I'm sure you'll see them.

To answer your question: We have qualifying offers made to both Darius and Mo. The prevailing attitude seems to be that if other teams beat those offers, both players will probably be going elsewhere.

EDIT: My comment about taking some time to get the lay of the land is a suggestion, not a criticism.

Again, welcome to Kingsfans.com!

:D

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sactownsfinest said:
I may not have seen him in a kings jersey, but ive seen him in portland, memphis, etc. would you take shawn bradley? of course you would say no (assuming you arent crazy), and thats how i think the "seems fair to let him actually step on the court in a Kings uniform before you make that decision" doesnt really fit. whatever, as i said, its my opinion. I think i at least have the entitlement to that
I'm well aware it's your opinion. This is a message board. We share opinions and discuss them...no one is saying you're not entitled to your opinions.

The point I'm trying to make is that Sacramento is WELL known throughout the league for resurrecting players and their careers. Do the names Bobby Jackson, Jim Jackson and Chris Webber, among others, mean anything to you?

One of the things that makes Kings fans in general the most respected fans in the league is the willingness to judge a player by what he does here. If you want to prejudge Bonzi, that is - of course - your decision but I really think it's a little short-sighted of you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KINGS16 said:
thanks for the info vf21. Ill start looking at the other threads right now. I have a lot of catching up to do.
You're most welcome.

Be sure and pay attention to my posts. I may not post a lot, but when I do, it's golden.

Here are my revised thoughts after weighing on everyone's opinions:

1) While Mike's health is indispensable due to the departure of Bobby, one can make an argument that Brad's health is of paramount importance too. Our offseason moves brought versatility at the SG, SF, PF positions so that if Bonzi, Peja, or Shareef should go down with injuries, flexible pieces can step right in. Since Shareef is not known as a passer and both Kenny and Brian are average passers at best, losing Brad would mean we lose the blueprint of Kings' offense: big man at the high post setting screens and setting up shots for others.

2) Yes, Bibby should play some D. Thanks for that reminder Piksi.

3) Bonzi will start because this is the NBA. I just hope there are enough shots for Bonzi and Peja (in their contract years), Shareef (because he's use to the one-man show at Vancouver, Atlanta), Kenny (because he's Kenny), Mike (because he's clutch and appropriately demands the ball), and Brad (to keep his confidence up because he's the best center shooting at the 15 foot range in the NBA).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings Fan said:
1) While Mike's health is indispensable due to the departure of Bobby, one can make an argument that Brad's health is of paramount importance too. Our offseason moves brought versatility at the SG, SF, PF positions so that if Bonzi, Peja, or Shareef should go down with injuries, flexible pieces can step right in. Since Shareef is not known as a passer and both Kenny and Brian are average passers at best, losing Brad would mean we lose the blueprint of Kings' offense: big man at the high post setting screens and setting up shots for others.
I completely and totally agree. We still have a gaping abyss in the depth chart as far as finding someone who could actually step in FOR Brad should he not be able to play. Having someone on the bench to spell him for short periods is one thing. If we had to start one of our remaining "bigs" again, as we did last year, we would still be in a world of hurt.

And, in passing...

big man at the high post setting screens
I still get shivers when I think of the screen he set against Dallas.

O

ONEZERO

That pic is SICK!

And speaking of that shot, I was at staples center when they have that so called "home court advantage" when a team is playing on the road in the playoffs..... I've never felt happier as a kings fan and it felt like the championship was ours already.... Damn.

Last edited by a moderator:
LPKingsFan said:
Speaking of picks and beauty, I saw the Bibby shot over Fisher with the Webber pick from 2002 last night on tape again. Still beautiful as ever.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."

Isn't it AMAZING how one little picture can make you have silly grin and feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Thanks for the memory!

VF21 said:
I still get shivers when I think of the screen he set against Dallas.
oh man, thanks for bringing back a great memory :D that screen was freaking awesome.

as for the keys to the kings this year

1. health!
2. REBOUNDING!!!!
3. DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!
4. have fun!!!!

This shot reminded me of the height and the ultimate high of Kings' basketball. Let's hope there will be many more moments like this to come.

And maybe next time, Brad can set a pick on Kobe flat on his back while Bibby hits the jumper en route to the championship.

Other players I wouldn't mind seeing flat on their back as Brad sets a pick for Bibby to hit series winning clinchers:

Kobe (1st round) if the Lakers can make it that far...

Nash (2nd round)

Bowen (Conference Finals)

Shaq (Championship Finals)...not that Shaq would be guarding Mike or anything like that but it would nice if Cub Scout can stick it to the Diesel.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kings Fan said:
Shaq (Championship Finals)...not that Shaq would be guarding Mike or anything like that but it would nice if Cub Scout can stick it to the Diesel.
That particular collision might not go quite the way we'd like it too. ;)

On the other hand, for all of those strange fans who think its a great thing to catch an athletes sweaty headband or whatever, think how exciting it will be to have Brad's actual limbs flying into the stands! :p

Bricklayer said:

On the other hand, for all of those strange fans who think its a great thing to catch an athletes sweaty headband or whatever, think how exciting it will be to have Brad's actual limbs flying into the stands! :p
You got a point Brick...although I think Brad would sacrifice his limbs for a Bibby championship game winner. If not, I wouldn't mind a Miller-O'Neal Round Two...a rematch of epic proportions.

Bricklayer said:

Don't you remember that non-fight that Shaq and Brad got into when Brad was still with the Bulls? That hay-maker from Shaq was the weakest, silliest thing I ever saw. Shirtless Brad, jumping up and down and waiting for Shaq to bring it on was the next silliest thing.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
bozzwell said:
Don't you remember that non-fight that Shaq and Brad got into when Brad was still with the Bulls? That hay-maker from Shaq was the weakest, silliest thing I ever saw. Shirtless Brad, jumping up and down and waiting for Shaq to bring it on was the next silliest thing.
Wish I knew where to find that parody song 1140 played after that incident - a bit from the song went something like:

white-boy Miller
oops he missed
oh, how can he swing that way

(chorus) Shaq is a *****

That was a pretty funny little song someone put together....