Kevin Love anyone?

Should we trade for Kevin Love?

• Yes

• Meh

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think retool is necessary. I would think about trading for Kevin Love. I know his contract and age are concern, but he is something we can trade for considering he probably won't cost us our core.

I think retool is necessary. I would think about trading for Kevin Love. I know his contract and age are concern, but he is something we can trade for considering he probably won't cost us our core.
Probably an idea worth its own thread. He’s the most attainable “big name” out there, but is he just a name at this point? You can squint and imagine him grabbing defensive boards and zipping outlet passes to a speeding Fox and company in transition. But then you’re hoping that Bagley can play 5 long term, and will develop the requisite skill on defense, and relegating Holmes to the bench. (Or benching Bagley and dealing with the associated fallout).

I was just thinking that, if we’re trying to make the playoffs he fits let Bagley come off the bench till he’s ready. Love gives us insane shooting, high IQ, passing, and rebounding.

Dedmon/Ariza/Swanigan and a lottery protected 1st
For
Love

Present day Love just seems rather duplicative of Bjelica’s skillset at, like, 5 or 6 times the price.
Yeah Belly would be on the way out, most likely. Can’t have two of the same stretch 4, defense deficient guys on the same squad...there’s barely enough room for one of the two as it is with Luke looking towards the small ball line ups in the past couple games

Only reason to trade for Love would be to watch the hilarity of him and Bagley on the court at the same time trying to defend. We got enough empty stats on this team no need for the former King of empty stats.

MOD NOTE: Post edited as quoted post has been deleted

What’s wrong with the trades I propose? Are we now putting down trying to think 1, 2, 3 steps ahead? Should we be in favor of the short sighted vision which is trading for Love? Why not put a little thought behind it and think through how this would impact the team next year, 2 years out, 5 years out, etc.

If the plan is to sell off our vets for future assets, why is having multiple trade ideas lined up seen as a bad thing? It would be far more unrealistic to think we’re going to find 1 trade that sends out all of Hield, Bogdan, Barnes, Bjelica, & Holmes at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love is better defender than Bagley and Nemanja together, u guys base ur comment in what Love was years ago. His defense improve since he got traded to the Cavs. He got experience and he actually read the game situation. He is really good in offensive charge faults on people driving to the paint too, he can take contact under the rim and space the floor.
With the right combo trade I say yes to this trade.

I was just thinking that, if we’re trying to make the playoffs he fits let Bagley come off the bench till he’s ready. Love gives us insane shooting, high IQ, passing, and rebounding.

Dedmon/Ariza/Swanigan and a lottery protected 1st
For
Love
Love is chucking the ball at teammates and yelling at the gm/daring him to fine him. Might not need to throw in that 1st

Love is better defender than Bagley and Nemanja together, u guys base ur comment in what Love was years ago. His defense improve since he got traded to the Cavs. He got experience and he actually read the game situation. He is really good in offensive charge faults on people driving to the paint too, he can take contact under the rim and space the floor.
With the right combo trade I say yes to this trade.
He's not a better defender than Nemanja at the rim or helping. If he were teams would be kicking down the door to trade for him even at his bloated contract.

Last edited:
No way the Cavs are giving up what will more than likely be a top 3 pick to get rid of Love. It's Cleveland without Lebron. No free agents are going there so they have to build through the draft like we do.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since we are getting Bazemore, how about Bazemore+Giles for Love and a 1st round pick?
We can't do that per trade rules. When you receive a player in a trade, you can't aggregate their salary in a trade for two months (you can trade them by themselves). Bazemore's contract by itself is not big enough to get Love's contract back.

We can't do that per trade rules. When you receive a player in a trade, you can't aggregate their salary in a trade for two months (you can trade them by themselves). Bazemore's contract by itself is not big enough to get Love's contract back.
I'm not advocating for this move at all - could this be executed as two separate trades? Giles for the pick; then Bazemore for Love the day after?

Also I can't see Cleveland giving up their pick when they have nothing.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm not advocating for this move at all - could this be executed as two separate trades? Giles for the pick; then Bazemore for Love the day after?

Also I can't see Cleveland giving up their pick when they have nothing.
In principle that would work. You don't even have to wait a day, teams will routinely execute trades simultaneously. It's not infrequent that a reported multi-player trade turns out to be two or more simultaneous trades for cap purposes.

But as I was saying, in practice Bazemore's contract is not large enough to cover the return of Love's contract under salary cap rules, so that particular bit of cleverness wouldn't work. It also doesn't look on first glance that we could yank Cleveland into the current (not-yet-executed-until-today-sometime) trade to make it a three-way because we would still not be giving enough outgoing salary to bring back Love. I take that back. I think there's a way. If we did:

CLE out: Love ($28.94M), 1st rounder
CLE in: Bazemore, Dedmon, Giles ($35.19M)

POR out: Bazemore, Tolliver ($20.89M)
POR in: Ariza, Swanigan, Gabriel ($15.68M)

SAC out: Ariza, Dedmon, Swanigan, Gabriel, Giles ($31.59M)
SAC in: Love, Tolliver ($30.56M), CLE 1st

It looks from a glance that the salary cap would be OK. Furthermore it looks like Cleveland only has 13 roster players right now (and 2 two-way guys) so they have space to absorb the three contracts. Portland has 14 roster players and can absorb the extra contract just as they are in the trade as currently constructed.

For Portland, all contracts are expiring, so they're saving some money and hoping that Ariza will help their bottom line this year. Cleveland gets a trial-run on Giles (but can't pay more than about $4M next year, by trading for him they would be stuck under the same rules we have) and takes on about $17M in guaranteed money (this year and beyond) to dump $91M in future salary to Love, so a savings of $74M (which is TOTALLY worth a first round pick!)

The Kings have the tough one to stomach here in that they take on about $77M of additional salary and get one pick and Love cluttering the salary cap for three more years. If Love beasts, hey, it's worth it. But I think we may have seen the best of Love already. He's already basically sitting the second half of back-to-backs every time, so how much is he really going to be able to play three years down the road? It's a bad contract and forces the Kings into salary cap hell for three more years as they try to sign Fox and Bagley to presumably big deals, and figure out what to do with Bogdan... I just don't know if Love is physically up to the task, and if he's not you've just handcuffed yourself badly for three more years.

In principle that would work. You don't even have to wait a day, teams will routinely execute trades simultaneously. It's not infrequent that a reported multi-player trade turns out to be two or more simultaneous trades for cap purposes.

But as I was saying, in practice Bazemore's contract is not large enough to cover the return of Love's contract under salary cap rules, so that particular bit of cleverness wouldn't work. It also doesn't look on first glance that we could yank Cleveland into the current (not-yet-executed-until-today-sometime) trade to make it a three-way because we would still not be giving enough outgoing salary to bring back Love. I take that back. I think there's a way. If we did:

CLE out: Love ($28.94M), 1st rounder
CLE in: Bazemore, Dedmon, Giles ($35.19M)

POR out: Bazemore, Tolliver ($20.89M)
POR in: Ariza, Swanigan, Gabriel ($15.68M)

SAC out: Ariza, Dedmon, Swanigan, Gabriel, Giles ($31.59M)
SAC in: Love, Tolliver ($30.56M), CLE 1st

It looks from a glance that the salary cap would be OK. Furthermore it looks like Cleveland only has 13 roster players right now (and 2 two-way guys) so they have space to absorb the three contracts. Portland has 14 roster players and can absorb the extra contract just as they are in the trade as currently constructed.

For Portland, all contracts are expiring, so they're saving some money and hoping that Ariza will help their bottom line this year. Cleveland gets a trial-run on Giles (but can't pay more than about $4M next year, by trading for him they would be stuck under the same rules we have) and takes on about $17M in guaranteed money (this year and beyond) to dump $91M in future salary to Love, so a savings of $74M (which is TOTALLY worth a first round pick!)

The Kings have the tough one to stomach here in that they take on about $77M of additional salary and get one pick and Love cluttering the salary cap for three more years. If Love beasts, hey, it's worth it. But I think we may have seen the best of Love already. He's already basically sitting the second half of back-to-backs every time, so how much is he really going to be able to play three years down the road? It's a bad contract and forces the Kings into salary cap hell for three more years as they try to sign Fox and Bagley to presumably big deals, and figure out what to do with Bogdan... I just don't know if Love is physically up to the task, and if he's not you've just handcuffed yourself badly for three more years.
wow. I tip my hat to you sir.

but yeah I don't see how taking on Love does anything for us, especially given the huge hole we are in this season and his fragile mental health.