Joerger yells at Buddy

Is it just me or does it seem like in general Dave Joerger treats Kayte like garbage in the post game interviews and hardly ever gives a decent answer to her questions? Normally they are short blunt answers with a hint of indignation . She asked two questions in this post game interview and his answers were similar in both of them especially the second one.

I've noticed this in several other post game interviews as well. The feigned annoyance on his part is not well placed considering Kayte's knowledge of the game, the fact she played, and the fact she's the teams sideline reporter watching the entire game.

Overall I like Dave as a coach but he tries to hard to be a Popovich or a Belichick sometimes.
You can definitely find yourself reading too much into his comments. Like how he shoots down our playoff hopes by saying we are not there yet when all our young all star weekend participants were chomping at the bit to announce our intentions to be there. There is a sense of pouring cold water over everything but again it is what it is and not point over analyzing

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Is it just me or does it seem like in general Dave Joerger treats Kayte like garbage in the post game interviews and hardly ever gives a decent answer to her questions? Normally they are short blunt answers with a hint of indignation . She asked two questions in this post game interview and his answers were similar in both of them especially the second one.

I've noticed this in several other post game interviews as well. The feigned annoyance on his part is not well placed considering Kayte's knowledge of the game, the fact she played, and the fact she's the teams sideline reporter watching the entire game.

Overall I like Dave as a coach but he tries to hard to be a Popovich or a Belichick sometimes.
You're wrong. Kayte herself has addressed this in the past and has made a point to stress that they have a good working relationship.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You're wrong. Kayte herself has addressed this in the past and has made a point to stress that they have a good working relationship.
Counterpoint: with Kayte being the professional that she is, if she did have a problem with Joerger, do you believe that she'd actually say so, on the record?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Counterpoint: with Kayte being the professional that she is, if she did have a problem with Joerger, do you believe that she'd actually say so, on the record?
She has made the same comments - and more - numerous times in less public settings. The only ill will between Joerger and Kayte is in the minds of a few fans who see drama where there is none.

She has made the same comments - and more - numerous times in less public settings. The only ill will between Joerger and Kayte is in the minds of a few fans who see drama where there is none.
I never said there was "drama" just acknowledged that in general he treats her like garbage (in my opinion) in the post game interviews. He constantly gives her short, blunt, annoyed answers. If it was a more rare occurrence I wouldn't notice.

She'll ask him a question that is seemingly open ended and needs some elaboration and he'll respond with "no" or "it was a good look"...............knowing full well that Kayte or whoever else asked the question was expecting more.

Of course she's not going to say she has a problem with Joerger mostly because she is very professional herself. He may (and probably does) treat her much better when she's not lumped in with the pool of reporter vultures in the post game press.

As is always the case multiple things can be equally true.

Dave Joerger

Good coach? Yes
Liked by the players? Seemingly Yes
Smug/Flippant with the media? Yes

IMHO it is because Kayte asks the best questions that get right to the meat of things. If you watch Dave it seems he is thinking real hard about how best to answer her without showing all his cards. I don't think he dislikes her at all, she just asks really good questions and he has to give real answers without revealing more than he means to.

I never said there was "drama" just acknowledged that in general he treats her like garbage (in my opinion) in the post game interviews. He constantly gives her short, blunt, annoyed answers. If it was a more rare occurrence I wouldn't notice.

She'll ask him a question that is seemingly open ended and needs some elaboration and he'll respond with "no" or "it was a good look"...............knowing full well that Kayte or whoever else asked the question was expecting more.

Of course she's not going to say she has a problem with Joerger mostly because she is very professional herself. He may (and probably does) treat her much better when she's not lumped in with the pool of reporter vultures in the post game press.

As is always the case multiple things can be equally true.

Dave Joerger

Good coach? Yes
Liked by the players? Seemingly Yes
Smug/Flippant with the media? Yes

In your opinion:)

Dave doesn’t seem to realize that all of those coaches he named have won several (or more) titles and have earned ultimate respect from all NBA players. They can get away with openly admonishing and/or criticizing players in public because the players respect their track record of success.

All of those guys could coach KD or most any other temperamental super star player in ways that someone like Dave Joerger or any other non-established could not. Dave Joerger hasn’t reach their level of success thus can’t get away with doing the same things.

While Pop has always been intense, he wasn’t quite the same when he first started out and is able to coach differently because of the success. He’s earned that ability. Dave has not. Not in the players eyes, I mean.

Dave doesn’t seem to realize that all of those coaches he named have won several (or more) titles and have earned ultimate respect from all NBA players. They can get away with openly admonishing and/or criticizing players in public because the players respect their track record of success.

All of those guys could coach KD or most any other temperamental super star player in ways that someone like Dave Joerger or any other non-established could not. Dave Joerger hasn’t reach their level of success thus can’t get away with doing the same things.

While Pop has always been intense, he wasn’t quite the same when he first started out and is able to coach differently because of the success. He’s earned that ability. Dave has not. Not in the players eyes, I mean.
You are kind of mixing two different scenarios together. Yeah, perhaps Joerger couldn’t yet get away with admonishing KD or other superstars because he hasn’t earned that respect, but he is not currently coaching a superstar. Maybe they will be in the future but it is a fact we do not have an all star player on the roster.

It was the heat of the moment. If he were to do it again I’m guessing he might have softened the message as to not create a distraction during the game; however I’m sure he also feels it’s his duty at this stage of a young team’s development, coming into a pressure packed stretch of games, to make sure they execute the game plan, and continue to make sure they have some structure. The accelerated playoff push this year has not changed the core objective of the team to build up the foundation this year for a long period of sustained success. I think it’s clear by the way they play this year that he has given them a lot of freedom; however, he is also bound to hold them responsible when they go outside their bounds.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You are kind of mixing two different scenarios together. Yeah, perhaps Joerger couldn’t yet get away with admonishing KD or other superstars because he hasn’t earned that respect, but he is not currently coaching a superstar. Maybe they will be in the future but it is a fact we do not have an all star player on the roster.

It was the heat of the moment. If he were to do it again I’m guessing he might have softened the message as to not create a distraction during the game; however I’m sure he also feels it’s his duty at this stage of a young team’s development, coming into a pressure packed stretch of games, to make sure they execute the game plan, and continue to make sure they have some structure. The accelerated playoff push this year has not changed the core objective of the team to build up the foundation this year for a long period of sustained success. I think it’s clear by the way they play this year that he has given them a lot of freedom; however, he is also bound to hold them responsible when they go outside their bounds.
you hit it on the head here. Joerger has every right to get on his players if they don't execute the play that he's asked of them, regardless of who it is. players and especially fans shouldn't be so sensitive because he is setting a standard here that it's not going to fly and that's what good coaches do.

Excellent response!

If the coach doesn't have enough respect from his players to get on them when they screw up, then he has lost the team and should be fired. Personally, it looks like the players are good with him so I don't see a problem.

Almost all of those coaches have had no problem getting in the face of their players from the get go. I can't think of a coach that started out timid when approaching his players thatever went on to being successful.

Ya, like I don’t think it’s a big deal, but it was a major event in the game and nobody even asked him about it. Or Buddy for that matter.

That’s weird.

And one in particular just saw his HOF level star bail because they weren't down with it anymore. It's one thing to have a group that can take it but this is the first time we also get to see Pop without that Tim Duncan fellow. He has more than earned his spot but also remember who calls the shots on assembling his teams, he does. That makes a huge difference as well.

Last edited:
you hit it on the head here. Joerger has every right to get on his players if they don't execute the play that he's asked of them, regardless of who it is. players and especially fans shouldn't be so sensitive because he is setting a standard here that it's not going to fly and that's what good coaches do.
And fans have every right to call out a poorly drawn up play or player misuse. Like last year for example. I seem to see many of the exact changes more than a few fans on this board in particular called out for and were slammed as being coach bashers at the time. You can do one without being the other.

If the coach doesn't have enough respect from his players to get on them when they screw up, then he has lost the team and should be fired. Personally, it looks like the players are good with him so I don't see a problem.

Almost all of those coaches have had no problem getting in the face of their players from the get go. I can't think of a coach that started out timid when approaching his players thatever went on to being successful.

Definitely. The only thing is there might be a history of a slow trickle with Dave Joerger. Look up some of the stuff bubbling up in his final days in Memphis.

Correct, Buddy isn't a superstar. Coaching a superstar like KD is the extreme example. But my point still applies to Buddy Hield or De'Aaron Fox or Marvin Bagley and every other KINGS player. Coach Joerger doesn't have the pedigree to coach the way Pop, Riley, Jackson and Kerr do. Not yet.

Most players don't have Carte blanche to pull the trigger on any shot in any situation they choose. One could argue that Buddy doesn't have Carte blanche and that was why DJ was upset-- and I get that. But he's got to admonish him in a different way. As perhaps Buddy hasn't earned the right to take those shots (I think he kind of has), DJ hasn't earned the right to handle it as if he was Coach Pop or any of the others mentioned. That was more my point.

Just my opinion, and of course I may be looking at it wrong. But that's definitely how I see it.

I just believe what DJ did was a bit different and over the top. You don't see many coaches do that to an established and possibly best player on the team. And the coaches that do have garnered a lot more respect around the league. When a coach that hasn't won anything behaves that way, they run the risk of losing a player(s). We'll see how this plays out. If it was a one time deal, I'm sure it will blow over. But if it continues, I think it will eventually have consequences. This isn't the 70's, 80's or even early 90's NBA anymore where coaches ruled the roost. Gotta show your money players more respect than that.

And one in particular just saw his HOF level star bail because they weren't down with it anymore. It's one thing to have a group that can take it but this is the first time we also get to see Pop without that Tim Duncan fellow. He has more than earned his spot but also remember who calls the shots on assembling his teams, he does. That makes a huge difference as well.
It does.

Another example I just thought of (unless you were referring to Jimmy Butler) is Tom Thibodeau. His act has worn thin with many players, and that dude has won a title as a defensive assistant. I think George Karl is another one. Very successful coach. But as times changed his coaching methods really didn't and I think that backfired on him late in his coaching career. That, and he also doesn't have the same post-season success as those other HOF coaches. It all adds up.

“What’s wrong with your coach?” Durant asked Hield. “You made a great shot.”

Lillard offered his opinion on Twitter.

“Maybe if his coach didn’t yell at him for MAKING the same shot he would have shot the mf,” Lillard tweeted.
^^ This is exactly what I'm talking about. Buddy isn't KD or Lillard, I get that. But the visual of it all is what I'm talking about. It hurts the KINGS credibility with players around the league. Not only might it hinder potential FA signings, but players on the KINGS roster will hear it from their peers on other teams.

After the game, Joerger was asked if he thought Hield should have attempted the long 3-pointer he passed up in the final seconds.

“Yeah, I thought he had a good look there at the top of the key,” Joerger said.
Dj needs to read what Lillard said. Because he's being a hypocrite about it. I truly believe Lillard is right. Buddy would have pulled the trigger if not for what happened a couple players earlier. Coach can't have it both ways. Live by the sword, die by the sword.